PDA

View Full Version : Serini's loyal animal companions

JonahFalcon
2021-12-04, 12:17 PM
Just wondering -- if she named the Piercer "Franklin", did she name the Trapper "John"?

Also, did she befriend any other cave dwelling monsters? Can you befriend molds, jellies or puddings?

Peelee
2021-12-04, 12:43 PM
did she name the Trapper "John"?

I am fully buying into this theory.

RatElemental
2021-12-04, 02:26 PM
Also, did she befriend any other cave dwelling monsters? Can you befriend molds, jellies or puddings?

She's already befriended a bunch of stuff that's supposed to be mindless, so I don't see why not.

mucat
2021-12-04, 03:01 PM
Just wondering -- if she named the Piercer "Franklin", did she name the Trapper "John"?

"Hot Lips" the red dragon?

brian 333
2021-12-04, 04:35 PM
A salamander named Burns,
A roper named Painless Pole,
A giant tick named Klinger,
And a giant bee named Jay.

KorvinStarmast
2021-12-04, 05:15 PM
I agree that naming the Trapper "John" would be most excellent. :smallsmile:

nespunkt
2021-12-04, 08:02 PM
Could someone explain the joke to me, an apparently uncultured moose? What is the connection between Franklin and John and their monster types? Thanks 😊

dmc91356
2021-12-04, 08:05 PM
The television show MASH featured two characters called Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce and "Trapper" John McIntyre (who got his own spinoff show as well).

Peelee
2021-12-04, 08:23 PM
The television show MASH featured two characters called Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce and "Trapper" John McIntyre (who got his own spinoff show as well).

As did the movie (and presumably the book).

RatElemental
2021-12-05, 01:19 AM
Can you please correct your title? Her companions are monsters, not animals.
Beholder, Piercer, Mimic, Lurker, Trapper. Not animals, Monsters.
D&D makes that distinction between monsters and animals.
Bloodfeast? Animal. Mr Scruffy? Animal. Blackwing? Animal.

Thanks in advance.

And I agree that naming the Trapper "John" would be most excellent. :smallsmile:

"Monster" means anything that's alive, really. "Dominate monster" will work on humanoids, and animals. Animals are a type of monster.

That said, of the monsters Serini has shown to have befriended so far, non of them are animals, they were all abberations or monstrous humanoids if I recall correctly.

Metastachydium
2021-12-05, 04:16 AM
Can you please correct your title? Her companions are monsters, not animals.
Beholder, Piercer, Mimic, Lurker, Trapper. Not animals, Monsters.
D&D makes that distinction between monsters and animals.
Bloodfeast? Animal. Mr Scruffy? Animal. Blackwing? Animal.

Thanks in advance.

And I agree that naming the Trapper "John" would be most excellent. :smallsmile:

"Monster" means anything that's alive, really. "Dominate monster" will work on humanoids, and animals. Animals are a type of monster.

That said, of the monsters Serini has shown to have befriended so far, non of them are animals, they were all abberations or monstrous humanoids if I recall correctly.

Also, familiars are magical beasts.

KorvinStarmast
2021-12-05, 09:30 AM
Also, familiars are magical beasts. Beast and animal are synonymous, in game terms. (The latest edition uses that term, beast, as a creature type, FWIW even though the conjuring spell for summoning them is called conjure animals
Conjure Animals
You Summon Fey spirits that take the form of Beasts ).

In 3rd edition, as pointed out in the comic, familiars are a class feature (which both V and Blackwing address at some point). Blackwing makes a direct reference to animal buddies here. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1020.html) :smallwink:

Metastachydium
2021-12-05, 11:14 AM
Beast and animal are synonymous, in game terms.

Not in 3.5. Magical beast and animal are different types with drastically different characteristics, and familiars explicitly belong to the former type (due to which they can have INT scores above 2 and are not affected by spells that work on animals, specifically).

Edit: Beast in the meantime is a 3.0 creature type meaning "basically an animal, but it doesn't/shouldn't (co)exist (with other animal species)".

Riftwolf
2021-12-05, 04:04 PM
The bonus comics already had a reference to a Roper called Helen

littlebum2002
2021-12-06, 01:34 PM
Beast and animal are synonymous, in game terms. (The latest edition uses that term, beast, as a creature type, FWIW even though the conjuring spell for summoning them is called conjure animals
Conjure Animals
You Summon Fey spirits that take the form of Beasts ).

In 3rd edition, as pointed out in the comic, familiars are a class feature (which both V and Blackwing address at some point). Blackwing makes a direct reference to animal buddies here. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1020.html) :smallwink:

So what does "monster" refer to? Because I keep seeing reference to "Hold Monster" used on individuals I would definitely not refer to as a monster.

(Well, except maybe V but that's for a different thread :smallbiggrin:)

Emanick
2021-12-06, 01:41 PM
So what does "monster" refer to? Because I keep seeing reference to "Hold Monster" used on individuals I would definitely not refer to as a monster.

It’s called “Hold Monster” because it can hold anything, not just the “persons” that Hold Person targets.

When V says “We are all in the Monster Manual, are we not?” s/he has a point (even if humans technically aren’t included). Anything can be a monster in 3.5, at least in the technical sense rather than the moral one. There isn’t really a division between monsters and non-monsters.

Peelee
2021-12-06, 01:48 PM

"Monster" effectively is interchangeable with "creature" in D&D terms. Animal, vegetable, mineral, what have you - if it is a type of creature, be it an animal or magical beast or dragon or aberration or humanoid - it's a monster.

Now, Hold Monster specifically is interesting in that it only affects living creatures, which mage it will not affect undead or constructs, which still qualify as monsters.

Metastachydium
2021-12-06, 01:53 PM
Now, Hold Monster specifically is interesting in that it only affects living creatures, which mage it will not affect undead or constructs, which still qualify as monsters.

(Neither does it affect planties, planties being immune to both mind-affecting effects and paralysis.)

brian 333
2021-12-06, 07:52 PM
Pedantry on the GitP Forums? I am shocked! Who would have thought...

Sorry, I tried to say it with a straight face.