PDA

View Full Version : Would a few of you like to be involved in some gaming research?

dekova
2021-12-05, 09:26 AM
I've got a friend that's doing research on roleplaying and psychology and he's looking for some gamers to participate.

As a note: I've gamed with this guy and have found him to be a creative, engaged GM and one of the most honestly good people I've ever met.

Please feel free to forward on to those who you feel may be interested.

https://i.ibb.co/sbLCCvy/research.png

dafrca
2021-12-05, 03:45 PM
Interesting very narrow niche of people they are going to use in their research.

I can't help but wonder how that will taint any outcome from their study.

Smoutwortel
2022-01-04, 04:06 PM
That seems to be what they're trying to figure out.
Explanation:
One of the easier ways of achieving academic validity for general research is taking intentionally specific research results and using them to create a model for your current group of research subjects.
This could be one of these more specific research plans

Simplified example:
My university researches the effects of x on people's ability to learn.
One group of students researches the effect of x on left handed people's bility to learn.
A second group of students researches the effect of x on right handed people's ability to learn.
A third group of students researches the effect of x on double handed people's ability to learn.
A fourth group of students conducts a literary study in which they use all three papers and evens out the differences.

This has a list of advantages in academics:
1. You get to publish not one, but many papers(good pr)
2. Fixing validity concerns is easier
3. You can use it as a way to keep more students busy and train them in the art of academics(only applicable for educative institutes, but they're a big enough part of academics to matter)
4. It's easier to get funding, because you can hype it more often close to your more general holy grail.
5. Specificness is actually seen as an admirable property academic research as long the paper can pin correctly down what is the specific area it operates in.

danzibr
2022-01-30, 10:34 PM
Oh my. I’m interested but I’m 34. This is the first time I recall being too old for an adult event :(