PDA

View Full Version : DM Help follow up on a created situation needed (ideas)

Aurich
2021-12-05, 02:28 PM
I'm a DM , that took up that mantle to give our other DM a repose from his task.

I created a fairly open world, where high magic is possible.
Mostly based on faerun level. with a bit of eberron level intermingled.

I have the following situation.

One bbeg found very advanced tech and used it to sort of biologically enhance humans. But bbeg is fairly new to it so results are not up to full potential, nor does he completely controls the whole process.

I based the idea of gene transfer and polymorph. Maybe think of dr. Moreau like or reversed Moreau like situations.
At first he struggled a bit getting progress, but he acquired a werewolf specimen of to which he harvested a more potent 'vector'.

He tested that on a specimen, turning that specimen in a ratfolk. Think like Splinter from the TMHT. But research isn't advanced enough to simply reverse the process, nor was that the intent of the bbeg. There is an artificer (npc) in the group, but that one would have to start the research all the way back again to get an understanding of it (time consuming).

I now face the following situation. I need possible followup situation or solutions for my players to face that problem.
Possible ideas:

It's a polymorph ( true polymorph) and the victim is stuck like it, creating a situation that the players have to find solutions to daily life (maybe for a later campaign?). So a simple remove curse isn't gonna cut it.

a player hinted they need a remove curse somewhere, assuming it's a curse like therianthopy, as he put 2 and 2 together, that the werewolf was the base to the process. So they will get the victim back into town somehow.

In short i could use some ideas to make it interesting (victim isn't contagious).

Unoriginal
2021-12-06, 08:43 AM
I'm a DM , that took up that mantle to give our other DM a repose from his task.

I created a fairly open world, where high magic is possible.
Mostly based on faerun level. with a bit of eberron level intermingled.

I have the following situation.

One bbeg found very advanced tech and used it to sort of biologically enhance humans. But bbeg is fairly new to it so results are not up to full potential, nor does he completely controls the whole process.

I based the idea of gene transfer and polymorph. Maybe think of dr. Moreau like or reversed Moreau like situations.
At first he struggled a bit getting progress, but he acquired a werewolf specimen of to which he harvested a more potent 'vector'.

He tested that on a specimen, turning that specimen in a ratfolk. Think like Splinter from the TMHT. But research isn't advanced enough to simply reverse the process, nor was that the intent of the bbeg. There is an artificer (npc) in the group, but that one would have to start the research all the way back again to get an understanding of it (time consuming).

I now face the following situation. I need possible followup situation or solutions for my players to face that problem.
Possible ideas:

It's a polymorph ( true polymorph) and the victim is stuck like it, creating a situation that the players have to find solutions to daily life (maybe for a later campaign?). So a simple remove curse isn't gonna cut it.

a player hinted they need a remove curse somewhere, assuming it's a curse like therianthopy, as he put 2 and 2 together, that the werewolf was the base to the process. So they will get the victim back into town somehow.

In short i could use some ideas to make it interesting (victim isn't contagious).

It doesn't have to be cured with a simple Remove Curse, but it is also probably not the first time in the world where someone got stuck in a shape they don't want.

You could have the PCs learn about some kind of shrine or natural magic place or ritual or mystical tradition which was used by a hero in the past to go back to their original shape after it was altered, and so they can go on a quest to find it and solve the issue without having to reverse-engineer the BBEG's process.

da newt
2021-12-06, 08:54 AM
Sounds like a quest for a scroll of WISH or a genie etc.