PDA

View Full Version : choosing spell mastery spells

EphU437
2007-11-19, 03:21 PM
For a level 10, int 18 wizard, what do you think of the following spell selection?

Magic Missile
Dispel Magic
Lesser shadow Conjuration
Teleport

Keld Denar
2007-11-19, 03:26 PM
For a level 10, int 18 wizard, what do you think of the following spell selection?

Magic Missile
Dispel Magic
Lesser shadow Conjuration
Teleport

I'd nix Magic Missile in favor of something else, like fly or disintegrate (greater open, he he he). That way, if you work up naked in a prison cell under a dimensional lock, you can still have some mobility to try to escape when teleport doesn't work.

All in all, most people don't think that spell mastery isn't worth it. Unless your DM likes to be kind of a **** and take/destroy your spellbook, its not really needed. You are almost high enough level to take levels in archmage, and grabbing teleport (or greater teleport) as a spell like ability 2x a day will net you a better return on investment.

Temp
2007-11-19, 04:05 PM
For Spell Mastery? You'll want the spells necessary to get your spellbook back.

This will probably mean for an 18 Int level 10 character:
1:Teleport
2:Contact other Plane
3:Locate Object
4:Polymorph

Teleport to get to the book.
COP to gain a general knowledge of its location
Locate Object to pinpont it
Polymorph because it is the ultimate utility/combat spell.

RoboticSheeple
2007-11-19, 04:15 PM
You could try to see if your DM will let you get the spells tattooed on as described in Complete Arcane rather than burning a feat.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-19, 04:24 PM
Is there some particular reason you need to take spell mastery now? I'd wait until you can master Instant Summons before bothering.

Keld Denar
2007-11-19, 04:31 PM
Is there some particular reason you need to take spell mastery now? I'd wait until you can master Instant Summons before bothering.

Problem with this, if you lost your spellbook, chances are you lost the material component of Instant Summons too (an expensive gem that needs to be crushed to retrieve the marked item). That means that its not a terribly good spell to Mastery with the intent of using it to regain your spell book.

EphU437
2007-11-19, 05:01 PM
1. The campaign is Core, so instant summons is out. Ditto tatoos.

2. I want at least one lower level spell so I can use those lower slots. Having 15 read magics isn't so helpful.

3. I will have another spellbook(s) elsewhere, so getting mine back is less critical than dealing with the situation.

F

Shishnarfne
2007-11-19, 05:24 PM
Actually, Instant Summons is from the PhB, IIRC. I don't remember the level, though. Tattoos are definitely out in core-only though.

Charm Person might be a decent level one spell to mastery... "talk" your way right out of that prison! I'll second fly as a decent way to avoid combat when low on spells.

Temp
2007-11-19, 08:28 PM
Charm Person might be a bit limited unless he's taken Heighten Spell (and that's a Sorcerer feat).

If you want to fill your low-level slots for the sake of filling them:
Invisibility, perhaps? That's low level and genuinely useful. Especially if you just need to get out of the way as you probably will without the standard defenses.

...Grease is always a winner...
...Ditto for Ray of Enfeeblement...
...and I suppose you could just throw a bunch of Scorching Rays around if it really came down to it...

And Polymorph's a given if it isn't banned. That spell has more flexability than most classes.

EphU437
2007-11-20, 07:38 AM
I only get 4 spells. And lesser shadow conjuration includes Grease.

Idea Man
2007-11-20, 12:40 PM
If you have more than 4 members in your party, teleport really isn't that useful, unless you plan to leave them if the going gets tough. :smallamused: Polymorph would be more utilitarian, letting you use a higher strength, dex, or con than you normally have for short periods, plus flight, water breathing, climbing...

Of course, if you can just teleport to your spare spellbook, this is all a moot point anyways.

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-20, 02:11 PM
Instant Summons is a Level 7 spell: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Instant_Summons_%28Spell%29 . Also, you would need to put an Arcane Mark on your spellbook in order to use this spell to retrieve it.