PDA

View Full Version : How to Build Geralt of Rivia

CMCC
2021-12-06, 11:16 AM
My new character build is up: Geralt of Rivia, The Witcher.

These videos are basically mini-documentaries, so I'd appreciate any support you can give in the way of likes, comments, and subscribes.

Feedback and discussion is always welcome and appreciated of course.

https://youtu.be/_4DLjEN9wig

https://youtu.be/_4DLjEN9wig

KorvinStarmast
2021-12-06, 11:17 AM
A friend of mine built something along the lines of Geralt with a hex blade / Fighter multiclass.

CMCC
2021-12-06, 11:19 AM
A friend of mine built something along the lines of Geralt with a hex blade / Fighter multiclass.

Not the worst build for sure. Best build I've seen, previous to this, was a straight Fiend Warlock. Those miss a lot of the skills though.

Unoriginal
2021-12-06, 11:30 AM
The custom background doesn't provide a free tool proficiency that can be used for the gaming set (gwent) proficiency?

EDIT: Sorry I haven't posted the Luke build I talked about yet, I was sick for a good week-n-half, then recovery and life kicked my butt. I'm currently writing my post in the other thread.

CMCC
2021-12-06, 01:31 PM
The custom background doesn't provide a free tool proficiency that can be used for the gaming set (gwent) proficiency?

EDIT: Sorry I haven't posted the Luke build I talked about yet, I was sick for a good week-n-half, then recovery and life kicked my butt. I'm currently writing my post in the other thread.

I prioritized alchemist's supplies and herbalism kit to playing cards prof, which I feel strongly is the correct choice. But, boy would I love to have playing cards too.

KorvinStarmast
2021-12-06, 03:27 PM
I won't I usually put up with a 25-minute youtube; yours is a notable exception. Nice job capturing the flavor and feel. :smallsmile:

CMCC
2021-12-06, 03:35 PM
I won't I usually put up with a 25-minute youtube; yours is a notable exception. Nice job capturing the flavor and feel. :smallsmile:

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Chronos
2021-12-06, 04:38 PM
We have a "Witcher" in my group, that's just a straight Hexblade. Which makes a lot more sense than the default flavor (or attempt thereof) that goes with Hexblade.

Kane0
2021-12-06, 04:52 PM
Wait wasn't the Witcher a direct inspiration for the Blood Hunter class, at least in part?

Falconcry
2021-12-06, 04:55 PM
Well there is Bloodhunter Order of the Mutant on DDB …

CMCC
2021-12-06, 09:26 PM
Wait wasn't the Witcher a direct inspiration for the Blood Hunter class, at least in part?

The last witch Hunter movie with vin diesel was the reason for Bloodhunter, which was likely a Witcher rip off. The mutant subclass is clearly influenced by the Witcher.

CMCC
2021-12-07, 06:48 PM
Time stamps/chapters have been added to vid to make it easier to rewatch and reference.

Also, I'm putting together a damage report for the build, since some other forums have had issue with the efficacy of the build (as if optimization was a goal - it's not). Spoiler: it's a paladin with a ton of spell slots, of course its effective as hell in 5e.

Corey
2021-12-08, 07:47 AM

I'm happy for you, but I'd Cavill at such a video.

Perhaps not coincidentally, I've read the books but not watched the show.

Asmotherion
2021-12-08, 08:19 AM
I seccond Hexblade.

Aard is basically Repeling Blast.
Axii could be Charm Person.
Igni can be Hellish Rebuke
Quen can be Armor of Agathys
Yrden can be an AoE like Sickening Radiance.

You can refluff Hex and Hexblade's Curse as using Monster Oils, and actually carry a seccondary Silver Sword.

You are good with weapons, have the spells you thematically need, and if you want a strong melee attack can always take your seccond cantrip to be Booming Blade.

Khrysaes
2021-12-08, 09:28 AM
I basically made this character before xanathars came out. I started him at level 13, and went to 20. I was 4 warlock, 8 sorcerer, 8 paladin.

CMCC
2021-12-08, 10:24 AM
I basically made this character before xanathars came out. I started him at level 13, and went to 20. I was 4 warlock, 8 sorcerer, 8 paladin.

This is probably the closest I’ve seen anyone get besides my build. There is certainly an argument about which is better. Well done.

One thing I didn’t talk about is going warlock 3 for pact of the talisman, which works well for the build both mechanically and thematically. I tried real hard to make it work but unfortunately I needed the bard levels for several abilities and spells.

If going with your build I’d prob do that and maybe grab one more level of warlock for a level of Paladin. Lose an ASI but get 5th level warlock invocations.

Which subclasses did you take?

I seccond Hexblade.

Aard is basically Repeling Blast.
Axii could be Charm Person.
Igni can be Hellish Rebuke
Quen can be Armor of Agathys
Yrden can be an AoE like Sickening Radiance.

You can refluff Hex and Hexblade's Curse as using Monster Oils, and actually carry a seccondary Silver Sword.

You are good with weapons, have the spells you thematically need, and if you want a strong melee attack can always take your seccond cantrip to be Booming Blade.

Did you watch the video?

I'm happy for you, but I'd Cavill at such a video.

Perhaps not coincidentally, I've read the books but not watched the show.

What does this mean? Have you played the game?

Khrysaes
2021-12-08, 10:31 AM
This is probably the closest I’ve seen anyone get besides my build. There is certainly an argument about which is better. Well done.

One thing I didn’t talk about is going warlock 3 for pact of the talisman, which works well for the build both mechanically and thematically. I tried real hard to make it work but unfortunately I needed the bard levels for several abilities and spells.

If going with your build I’d prob do that and maybe grab one more level of warlock for a level of Paladin. Lose an ASI but get 5th level warlock invocations.

Which subclasses did you take?

So at the time, hexblade was in unearthed arcana. My DM straight up banned it, but let me take celestial also from UA so long as i updated it once xanathars was released. To note, that was like a month later

I took draconic sorcerer (fire), celestial warlock (in UA at the time so i think it was undying light with the +cha to damage at level 1) and ancients paladin.

Unfortunatle my dm also required me to follow the fluff given in the books. So my patron and bloodline were from a quoatl and i worshiped some good diety.

Personally, i like identifying characters fluff and theme then finding mechanics that fit it.

Also to be fair. I was trying to make “a witcher” not “geralt” so i basically made my own witcher school.

The ancient paladin level 7 with resistance to magic, just fita the witcher theme well

CMCC
2021-12-08, 10:43 AM
So at the time, hexblade was in unearthed arcana. My DM straight up banned it, but let me take celestial also from UA so long as i updated it once xanathars was released. To note, that was like a month later

I took draconic sorcerer (fire), celestial warlock (in UA at the time so i think it was undying light with the +cha to damage at level 1) and ancients paladin.

Unfortunatle my dm also required me to follow the fluff given in the books. So my patron and bloodline were from a quoatl and i worshiped some good diety.

Personally, i like identifying characters fluff and theme then finding mechanics that fit it.

Also to be fair. I was trying to make “a witcher” not “geralt” so i basically made my own witcher school.

The ancient paladin level 7 with resistance to magic, just fita the witcher theme well
You did a great job for what was available!

For anyone interested in what the next build will be…

https://youtu.be/BoLps2V5vDM

Keravath
2021-12-08, 11:19 AM
Nice video :) ... and good justifications for the choices made.

Vengeance paladin 6, Swords bard 5, Divine Soul Sorcerer 8, Hexblade warlock 1.

CMCC
2021-12-09, 10:37 AM
Nice video :) ... and good justifications for the choices made.

Vengeance paladin 6, Swords bard 5, Divine Soul Sorcerer 8, Hexblade warlock 1.

Much appreciated.

If you would’ve told me when I was going to end up with a Sorlockadinbard (?) I wouldn’t have believed you. But that’s where the spells and abilities were.

LibraryOgre
2021-12-09, 11:43 AM
I did make a generic Witcher background to cover a variety of characters.

https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2020/07/witcher-background.html

CMCC
2021-12-09, 12:13 PM
I did make a generic Witcher background to cover a variety of characters.

https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2020/07/witcher-background.html

Nice. Good choices. Herbalism and alchemist proficiencies are key.

LibraryOgre
2021-12-09, 05:24 PM
Nice. Good choices. Herbalism and alchemist proficiencies are key.

I also have some rough and unfinished rules (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?616034-Unchained-Alchemy&highlight=alchemy) to make alchemical and herbal items to emulate Cantrips and 1st level spells!

Had I known the importance of gwent, I would have made it Herbalism OR Alchemist and gaming proficiency Gwent.

CMCC
2021-12-10, 06:15 PM
I also have some rough and unfinished rules (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?616034-Unchained-Alchemy&highlight=alchemy) to make alchemical and herbal items to emulate Cantrips and 1st level spells!

Had I known the importance of gwent, I would have made it Herbalism OR Alchemist and gaming proficiency Gwent.

haha

Our version of Geralt must've skipped all the tutorials on how to play.

Rules look pretty cool - I'm going to take some more time to look them in over in bit. Well done.

OBoyd
2021-12-12, 09:05 AM
Nicely done. I think most GMs world let you take Prodigy instead of Poisoned to get Card proficiency (as well as the last of the feats you mentioned and another Expertise).

CMCC
2021-12-12, 06:44 PM
Nicely done. I think most GMs world let you take Prodigy instead of Poisoned to get Card proficiency (as well as the last of the feats you mentioned and another Expertise).

You could totally do that. I felt “blade oils” were more important though.

You could potentially cut bard and go 11 levels of Paladin for improved smite. I don’t think that gives us everything we need though. It’s potentially more powerful - but we’d lose higher level slots for upcast AoA and spirit guardians shenanigans - so it’s a tough call.

OBoyd
2021-12-12, 09:27 PM
You could totally do that. I felt “blade oils” were more important though.

You could potentially cut bard and go 11 levels of Paladin for improved smite. I don’t think that gives us everything we need though. It’s potentially more powerful - but we’d lose higher level slots for upcast AoA and spirit guardians shenanigans - so it’s a tough call.

Fair enough. I just don't rate Poisoned as particularly worthwhile except in pretty specific builds.

CMCC
2021-12-12, 10:42 PM
Fair enough. I just don't rate Poisoned as particularly worthwhile except in pretty specific builds.

Yeah it’s not good. But we gotta cover the blade oil mechanic as closely as possible and poisoners kit proficiency. This feat handles both.

It won’t make or break the build either way.

Arkhios
2021-12-13, 04:01 PM
I'm always a bit skeptic when someone claims they've made the Witcher in D&D, but I must admit I'm impressed by this take. Well done!

CMCC
2021-12-14, 02:31 PM
I'm always a bit skeptic when someone claims they've made the Witcher in D&D, but I must admit I'm impressed by this take. Well done!

Wow thanks. Please like and subscribe if you are so inclined ;)