PDA

View Full Version : magic item for animal handling?

Severus
2007-11-19, 04:58 PM
I've got a new sorceror who is developing a pet fixation and wants cats, monkeys, snakes etc. Nothing really big, and I'm looking for a magic item that can give her some level of animal handling with them. It's mostly for color, but since the DM is my spouse, I have to play more by the book than most :-)

I've scanned a lot of the supplements, but haven't found anything that fits. Any ideas? If not, what would you do if you were a gm? And how would you cost out making it?

Mewtarthio
2007-11-19, 06:20 PM
You could always try a custom item. The estimated value of an amulet that gives a +10 competence bonus to any skill is 10,000 gp.

You could also just buy the skill cross-class. You'll only be able to get Handle Animal to the cross-class maximum, but that could be sufficient for your needs. Handle Animal DCs never go above DC 20, with the exception of rearing a wild animal (DC 15 + HD, though that shouldn't be a problem for Medium-sized and smaller animals). The Able Learner feat (human or changeling only, must be taken first level) lets you buy cross-class skills at the same price as class skills, but that's only worth it if there's another cross-class skill you intend to max out.

-Cor-
2007-11-19, 06:24 PM
Arms and Equipment guide has a whole section on animal handling and some various magic equipment.

I seem to remember a muzzle that lets you learn more tricks, and a saddle that gives +10 to ride for cheap.

There's more, but can't remember. Check out the A&E.

ocato
2007-11-19, 06:26 PM
Skill bonus (competence): Bonus squared × 100 gp

I believe a +10 item would cost 10,000gp, but yes this is definitely the idea of choice.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-19, 06:34 PM
I believe a +10 item would cost 10,000gp, but yes this is definitely the idea of choice.

That's correct. I mistyped there.