PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Stars Druid tactics as you level?

Yakmala
2021-12-07, 04:07 PM
I'll be getting an opportunity to play a Circle of Stars Druid soon, which is something I've been wanting to do since Tasha's came out. I'll be starting at level 2. For those who have had the chance to play one and level up, I'm interested in how your tactics varied as you leveled up and new abilities came online.

Until level 10, you can't switch forms every round, so which did you tend to focus on? I'm guessing the answers are partially based on the makeup of the rest of the party, but I'm looking for some overall trends.

For those focusing on Archer, what were you typically doing with your action while using the Archer bonus action?

For those focusing on Dragon, what concentration spells were you protecting with it?

And finally, did you go single-class or did you dip into something else?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Psyren
2021-12-08, 01:25 AM
For those focusing on Archer, what were you typically doing with your action while using the Archer bonus action?

For those focusing on Dragon, what concentration spells were you protecting with it?

Your early levels will largely consist of Guiding Bolt or Produce Flame spam + the archer. This stays decently good for all of Tier 1 and some ways into Tier 2. Not only is the damage decently strong, but you get a number of Guiding Bolts for free from the subclass which means your spell slots stay available in case you need them to cast control spells like Entangle on a more crowded fight etc.

At higher levels, protecting your concentration will be much more important, as it will let you go ham with powerful spells like Conjure/Summon, buffs or control spells etc. With the longer ones, you can all but guarantee you can have some of these available not just for the duration of that combat but potentially even multiple combats.

Sherlockpwns
2021-12-08, 01:32 AM
Around tier 2 it isn’t uncommon to swap / use chalice if you are the primary healer. Our stars Druid recently started using it and CW between combats, since keeping the party at full HP is worth more to us than archer form and it really extends the power of those level 1 cure spells. I expect we will see more dragon form later on.

Ogre Mage
2021-12-08, 03:20 AM
I have played a stars druid from levels 3-5. At levels 3-4 I used the archer form exclusively. With my regular action I was casting my free guiding bolts, shooting arrows from my longbow (my PC is a wood elf) or casting entangle. In two situations I was forced into melee and had to use shillelagh. :smallannoyed:

I have not been at level 5 for long, but there has been a shift in tactics. I began using the dragon form. The concentration spell I protected has always been the same -- conjure animals. I do not have a concentration protection feat (warcaster or resilient constitution).

stoutstien
2021-12-08, 04:57 AM
Star druids are largely turnkey. The only thing of note is trying to get ahold of dispel magic/CS to use with dragon but other than that it's pretty straightforward.

sambojin
2021-12-10, 06:36 AM
Nah, there's lot of awesome wildshape forms at about lvl4 to use with Archer. Warhorse for kiting/trampling, Frilled Deathspitter or Ape for a bit of shooting. Jaculi for shooting and then spring attacking and acting as a blocker, Giant Constrictor Snake for lockdown with ranged threat, and Giant Wolf Spider for all the wall-walking madness (with a gun). There's plenty of fun to be had in little wildshape by lvl4-5, especially with bonus action Archer attacks.
It takes both wildshape charges, but do you care, since you're a primary caster. That's 1-3 encounters a day, sorted, with barely a spell slot used.

At lvl6, pray for Woe every day. The ability to knock d6 off a save or ability check is golden. Things will never get out of your restrain-on-hit, and the rest of the party (even shooters) will just smash them apart with advantage.

So yeah. Lvl2-6, Archer Constellation, sometimes combined with little wildshape (you can do both in a turn and move heaps, shoot with archer as well, so it doesn't feel like a wasted turn). After that, cast your little starry heart out.