PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Weretouched Creature (needs help)

ChudoJogurt
2021-12-07, 05:39 PM
I'm running a mid-level (lvl 8-10) campaign that is focused rather heavily on Lycanthropes of various kinds.
However I'm getting really tired of Lycanthropy eating off 5 levels of already fairly short builds, so I wanted to make a lesser weretouched creature.
Something that could look were-whatever it is, but not actually be it.
Now I know that there is Lycanthropy-as-class thing but I think you're supposed to take all of it at once, so that doesn't really help.

Weretouched creature
--Gain "Shapechnger" subtype.
(is that actually worth anything?)
--Gain +2 Wis
--Gain +1 Natural armor
--Gain vulnerability to silver (attacks with silver weapons deal 50% more damage)
--Gain ability to change into hybrid animal/humanoid form 1/day,
It's a Su ability, that acts as Alter Self, turning one into a Hybrid form of a Lycnanthrope (gives claw/bite, +2 to natural armor, +10 Speed) except as follows:
-- -- it lasts 1 hour/hd,
-- -- it grants the Scent ability

I'm not sure - Is this worth +1 LA or +0 LA? I feel that constant vulnerability to silver is a big deal, but I'm not sure. If it's more than +1 LA - how can I nerf it?
Did I forget something that makes them more werewolf-y?

Tzardok
2021-12-08, 09:02 AM
I would say it's a good +0.

Incidentally, the Shapechanger subtype does grant small benefits. Shapechangers are automatically proficient with their natural weapons and all simple weapons. Also something that isn't mentioned in the index of the MM, but amongst different spells and abilities in the Player's Handbook and some creature descriptions: shapechangers that are subjected to a hostile transmutation or effect that changes their form (like Baleful Polymorph or the chaos beast's instable form ability) can transform back into their normal shape as a standard action. It would be a logical houserule to apply this to all shapechanges from other sources. It still requires the shapechanger to retain its mind, so it doesn't work to reverse petrification.