PDA

View Full Version : Spell Clocks, how do they really work?

Jervis
2021-12-08, 08:05 AM
For those unaware, spellclocks are nifty little wondrous magical items from Eberron that cast spells on a timer. But what exactly do they do? We don’t really get much on the rules. At the beginning of the article it lists casting a spell every hour, but contradicts itself by the end.

One example clock is included in a construct and casts two spells every two hours or one spell once per day. So we know that the time is variable and the clock can contain at least two spells.

Likewise I assumed that the spells included couldn’t have a range of personal… but then the article lists Glibness which is personal only. Meaning spells like Divine Power are on the table. I also assumed the timer had to be on a longer cooldown but it lists that they can go off instantly when triggered.

Entirely by the rules presented one could make a clock that casts Haste and Divine Power on the holder every 60 seconds for 130,000. And given that there’s no maximum spell level limit it could be even more dumb. It technically has no cost increase or costly components or spells with a XP cost.

Is there anything i’m missing in this? I stumbled onto these while trying the price out a flying castle but my mind immediately went to a silver pocket watch (no size is given other than saying it’s a box that can contain components) that casts umpteen buffs every minute.

Given the fluff and some reason I assume restraints would be no consumed or costly components and no spells that require a minimum CL of 15+. But I kinda want to hear other takes on this. I want to know if there’s something i’m missing

GoodbyeSoberDay
2021-12-08, 10:01 AM
At every table I've ever been in that has mentioned spell clocks, the way it works is that a player (often jokingly) brings them up and the DM says "Haha, no." In short, spell clocks are the opposite of well-thought-out, broken both from an overpowered and dysfunctional perspective. Best to leave them out of your game, IMO.

Arcanist
2021-12-08, 11:56 AM
At every table I've ever been in that has mentioned spell clocks, the way it works is that a player (often jokingly) brings them up and the DM says "Haha, no." In short, spell clocks are the opposite of well-thought-out, broken both from an overpowered and dysfunctional perspective. Best to leave them out of your game, IMO.

My table has never had a problem with them. They are basically just spell traps that trigger based on time of day (which is narratively arbitrary) as opposed to proximity of a triggering creature or object. As intended by the article, they are often used as Boon Traps. I've no idea what the confusion is about for this particular item.

Jervis
2021-12-08, 04:34 PM
My table has never had a problem with them. They are basically just spell traps that trigger based on time of day (which is narratively arbitrary) as opposed to proximity of a triggering creature or object. As intended by the article, they are often used as Boon Traps. I've no idea what the confusion is about for this particular item.

Admittedly if resetting magic traps are allowed for player use then Spellclocks are extremely over priced. For my part I think they’re best used as part of a construct or contraption to do stuff like keep a city in the air or make some kind of magical assembly line or something. Something you need predictable and able to run without any input.

tyckspoon
2021-12-08, 04:38 PM
Is there anything i’m missing in this? I stumbled onto these while trying the price out a flying castle but my mind immediately went to a silver pocket watch (no size is given other than saying it’s a box that can contain components) that casts umpteen buffs every minute.

Given the fluff and some reason I assume restraints would be no consumed or costly components and no spells that require a minimum CL of 15+. But I kinda want to hear other takes on this. I want to know if there’s something i’m missing

Nope. They're basically an alternate presentation of a self-resetting trap. And just like traps it derails as soon as you try to apply the concept beyond the standard dungeon 'step on a plate, fall in pit/dodge a fireball' usage. I suppose at least with the description of a spell clock you get around the arguments about "you can't make a mobile trap, that goes against the idea of a 'trap'!" and "You can't make a trap cast a non-harmful spell or it's not a 'trap' any more." But that's essentially what it is, it's a self-resetting spell trap, and you could already use those existing rules to make something cast an arbitrary effect an arbitrary number of times.

(Traps pretty much only work under an assumption of "Come on guys, you know what traps are and what they're supposed to be used for, stop trying to use the rules we wrote!" as is.)