PDA

View Full Version : Clockwork Soul question

Ghostwidow
2021-12-08, 01:21 PM
So you are able to swap a spell of the transmutation/abjuration school from the wizard/sorcerer and warlock list. I know this is a technicality, but since Spike Growth falls under the Dao Genie Warlock spell list, would swapping for this spell be allowed?

Abracadangit
2021-12-08, 01:26 PM
A very, very lenient DM might say yes (always worth a shot!), but RAW the answer would probably be no. The relevant text from the warlock class feature:

"Expanded Spell List: The Genie lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell."

So in other words, the bonus spells added by a patron are, by their very definition, NOT warlock spells by default. So for another class feature that references learning a spell from the "warlock's spell list," bonus patron spells would be right out.

jaappleton
2021-12-08, 02:15 PM
A very, very lenient DM might say yes (always worth a shot!), but RAW the answer would probably be no. The relevant text from the warlock class feature:

"Expanded Spell List: The Genie lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell."

So in other words, the bonus spells added by a patron are, by their very definition, NOT warlock spells by default. So for another class feature that references learning a spell from the "warlock's spell list," bonus patron spells would be right out.

This is incredibly correct.

CMCC
2021-12-08, 02:23 PM
This is incredibly correct.

Otherwise access to the sorcerer spell list would automatically give access to the cleric spell list. Things just break if you do this.

Ryton
2021-12-08, 02:37 PM
I'd go a step further and argue definitely not.

Using the logic of it being a Genie spell, you'd also get it from Sorcerer (Divine Souls cast cleric spells, and the Nature Domain gets Spike Growth, so...)

It's a bit of a bridge too far for me (and likely most DMs), because by extrapolation, "sorcerer, wizard, and warlock spell lists" automatically becomes "cleric, sorcerer, wizard, and warlock" at the very least. And while I don't generally like to assume design intent, it's probably safe to say that if they wanted to also include the cleric list as selectable, they probably would have just said so.

jaappleton
2021-12-08, 02:58 PM
It's a bit of a bridge too far for me (and likely most DMs), because by extrapolation, "sorcerer, wizard, and warlock spell lists" automatically becomes "cleric, sorcerer, wizard, and warlock" at the very least.

<Blue Text>
You trying to get a Lore Bard? Because this is how you get Lore Bards!"
<Blue Text>

sophontteks
2021-12-08, 07:42 PM
<Blue Text>
You trying to get a Lore Bard? Because this is how you get Lore Bards!"
<Blue Text>
This is quality stuff right here!:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: