PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I need some assistance, please.

ngilop
2021-12-09, 09:17 AM
Hey guys. I am making a character of 18th level for a game and I am having very serious difficulties in spending the gold.
I've spent 113,813 so far and i still have 326,187 to spend

what I have so far
Holy Heavy Mace +1 Alchemically Silvered (6308)
1 Small Steel Shield (2305 gold)
Mithral Breastplate +1 (2350)
Rod of Extend Metamagic (11,000)
Cloak of Minor Displacement & Resistance +2 (26,000)
Handy Haversack (2,000)
Boots of the Winterlands (2,500)
Wand of Bless (750)
Circlet of Wis and Cha +4 (12,000)
Monk's Belt of Consitution +2 (15,000)
Rod of Lesser Chain Spell (14,000)
Horn of Victory - Mass Aid at 10th 2/day (9,600)
Master Physician's Kit - +10 Heal (10,000)

Oh.. I am a healer (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?272245-Healer-Re-tooled-please-critique) by the way.

Wintermoot
2021-12-09, 09:21 AM
Is there some limitation upon having greater than +1 bonus on weapons and armor being imposed upon you? That's some low end gear for 18ths level.

If there is no limitation, i'd be spending some cash on upgrading weapons and armor with special qualities and getting some books of stat improvement.

ngilop
2021-12-09, 10:05 AM
Is there some limitation upon having greater than +1 bonus on weapons and armor being imposed upon you? That's some low end gear for 18ths level.

If there is no limitation, i'd be spending some cash on upgrading weapons and armor with special qualities and getting some books of stat improvement.

No, there is no limit.

It is why i am here asking for help. I literally spent about a third of my total money and I have no idea exactly what to spend the other 2/3 on. Whether it is upgrades to items I have OR new items to include.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2021-12-09, 10:18 AM
What's going on with some of these listed prices? Does your table have a house rule where the cost of +X items isn't [constant]*[X^2], but rather [constant]*[X]? That would explain the pricing of the cloak (24k displacement, + 2k bonus) and the belt (13k monk, +2k bonus). My best guess for the circlet is that it's priced as a non-standard item for both, but still no square, so 4*1000*1.5 + 4*1000*1.5 = 12k. If your table does have such a house rule, then you can go to town with it. Why not get items adding +6 to each stat for 6k apiece? Resistance +5 for 5k, Deflection +5 for 10k, +10 equivalent armor for 10k (worth eschewing the monk's belt in that case), and so on. More likely if you don't have any house rules and it's just an oversight, the first thing to spend the extra money on is properly pricing those items (cloak should be 28k, belt should be 17k, +4 CHA and +4 WIS onto appropriate items should be a total of 32k, whether that's a circlet or adding +4 CHA to a cloak and getting a +4 periapt of WIS).

Next, you've bought mostly core items, but then I see a rod of Chain Spell. What books are allowed? Any 18th level adventurer with the proper books allowed should get things like the Shadow Cloak (DotU) property added to their cloak, Anklets of Translocation (MIC) added to their boots, Third Eye Clarity (MIC) on the face slot, Scout's Headband (MIC) or a superior vision-granting item on the head slot, and so on. It might be convenient for an item to add flight as well, so you can save your resources; Reins of Ascension (MIC) for your unicorn is fitting. You could also get a wand chamber (Dungeonscape) on your weapon with Swift Fly (SpC) in it.

For core items, there's always the Ring of Freedom of Movement, Bead of Karma, Circlet of Persuasion (or improved version, pending DM permission), stat boosters (at least get +6 to casting stats), wands, and scrolls. A broom of flying isn't so bad for flying if you're in core only, and/or a wand of Fly. And if you're really struggling to spend $, tomes cost a ton of money.

ngilop
2021-12-09, 10:42 AM
What's going on with some of these listed prices? Does your table have a house rule where the cost of +X items isn't [constant]*[X^2], but rather [constant]*[X]? That would explain the pricing of the cloak (24k displacement, + 2k bonus) and the belt (13k monk, +2k bonus). My best guess for the circlet is that it's priced as a non-standard item for both, but still no square, so 4*1000*1.5 + 4*1000*1.5 = 12k. If your table does have such a house rule, then you can go to town with it. Why not get items adding +6 to each stat for 6k apiece? Resistance +5 for 5k, Deflection +5 for 10k, +10 equivalent armor for 10k (worth eschewing the monk's belt in that case), and so on. More likely if you don't have any house rules and it's just an oversight, the first thing to spend the extra money on is properly pricing those items (cloak should be 28k, belt should be 17k, +4 CHA and +4 WIS onto appropriate items should be a total of 32k, whether that's a circlet or adding +4 CHA to a cloak and getting a +4 periapt of WIS).

Next, you've bought mostly core items, but then I see a rod of Chain Spell. What books are allowed? Any 18th level adventurer with the proper books allowed should get things like the Shadow Cloak (DotU) property added to their cloak, Anklets of Translocation (MIC) added to their boots, Third Eye Clarity (MIC) on the face slot, Scout's Headband (MIC) or a superior vision-granting item on the head slot, and so on. It might be convenient for an item to add flight as well, so you can save your resources; Reins of Ascension (MIC) for your unicorn is fitting. You could also get a wand chamber (Dungeonscape) on your weapon with Swift Fly (SpC) in it.

For core items, there's always the Ring of Freedom of Movement, Bead of Karma, Circlet of Persuasion (or improved version, pending DM permission), stat boosters (at least get +6 to casting stats), wands, and scrolls. A broom of flying isn't so bad for flying if you're in core only, and/or a wand of Fly. And if you're really struggling to spend $, tomes cost a ton of money.

PHB, PHB2, DMG, Complete Adventurer, Divine, Warrior Arcane, Mage, Magic Item Compendium. Races of X are the allowed sources Oh and spell compendium.

Also, i might be doing the prices incorrectly. Again, this is why i am here asking for help :smile:

Efrate
2021-12-09, 11:22 AM
Cover your big 6 with the maximum you can get.

1. A Magic weapon. If you are going to be using greater magic weapon to increase the plus then load up on +9 worth of abilities. Warning, eager, metaline, sizing, whathaveyou.

2. Magic Armor. Get soulfire and/or heavy fortification, add nimble for a flat amount to negate ACP totally (I think thats 3.5 as well not just pf), and then use magic vestaments to get the max plus.

3. Stat boosters: Casting stat and constitution +6 minimum. Dex and Wis for save synergy if nothing else are also good. Belt of magnificence might be worthwhile if nothing else, one slot +6 to all stats is nice. Combine with monk's belt if no armor?

4. Save booster: Get a +5 cloak. Adding minor displacement for the 20% always is fine, add cloak of elven kind if you want as well if that is a thing you do.

5. Ring of protection +5, deflection bonuses are not easy to come by. Add freedom of movement if you can to combine, its is an essential buff. If not that should be one of your rings.

6. Amulet of Natural Armor, 5 more AC is not terrible, combine with periapt of wisdom, proof against poison, scarab of protection if you cannot do soulfire armor, necklace of adaptation.

Then move onto other should have items.

Ring of Mind shielding or a banner of protection from evil added to your shoulders slot if allowed for an almost identical effect. I forget if unicorns Magic Circle is always active or a 3x a day thing.

Some form of true sight. Sovereign glue a gem of true seeing to your eyeball. Scout's headband is nice as well.

Third eye clarity is a cheap alternative to get out of some nasty stuff.

Anklet of translocation, or chrono charms of the horizon walker for short range teleport, get several.

Some form of flight. Broom is fine, I think there are some horseshoes for your unicorn that do it as well. Any items that give you mount abilities. I am sure there are several in the MIC.

Luckblade with 0 wishes remaining and/or a luckstone. +1 to pretty much everything.

MW tools for every skill easy +2, dirt cheap.

Orange Prism Ioun Stone for +CL.

Any ioun stone that gives you anything relevant. Slotless and mostly not too expensive.

Check list of stuff, Shax, and Bunkos. I have the therafim utility belt as well since I couldn't find the other one.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?454553

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?445114-quot-Bunko-s-Bargain-Basement-Magic-Items-That-Are-a-Steal!-quot-(from-Wizards-forum)

http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/useful-items

ngilop
2021-12-09, 07:30 PM
Bunch of sweet advice.

Thanks for all that.

What do you personally suggest for a Healer to have?

In terms of weapon enchantments, armor enchantments and other random wondrous items.

Telonius
2021-12-09, 11:01 PM
One note on the Monk's Belt. It would be a good choice, but only if you're going unarmored. From the belt: "This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus." From the Monk: "She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load." You have to choose between the belt's AC bonus and the armor/shield, you don't get to stack them.

One option to (somewhat) get around that, is to go unarmored, but use the "Greater Luminous Armor" spell from Book of Exalted Deeds. Check with your DM to see if this would be an option for one of your "Spell Inspiration" spells. (Looking at the homebrew and the description of Sanctified Spells, it probably wouldn't be, since you're a spontaneous caster; but it never hurts to ask). Getting it in wand form would be an option too.

Efrate
2021-12-10, 09:07 AM
The best things I think for a healer, is survivability, movement ability to get to those who need it, and proactive things to do when you are not healing. Your vow in many cases leaves you out of combat, so investing in UMD for wands for buffing with off list spells or some kind of control effects is huge. A lot of neat items are not great use of an action in combat for most, but you have flexibility to use your actions to do some neat things because you cannot attack sometimes but you do not just have to sit there and play damage control. Damage prevention is better than damage recovery.

Look deep into various consumables or items with interesting 1x or 3x a day or whatever effects. There are a lot and they can help contribute directly to your party winning easier. Rods and wonderous items usually.

Darg
2021-12-10, 11:57 AM
Get a Skin of Ectoplasmic Armor (MIC pg 170). 6000 gp, +8 armor bonus and treated as light armor. I also suggest getting one for your unicorn.

Skin of the Troll is nice for out of combat regeneration.

ngilop
2021-12-10, 12:23 PM
Get a Skin of Ectoplasmic Armor (MIC pg 170). 6000 gp, +8 armor bonus and treated as light armor. I also suggest getting one for your unicorn.

Skin of the Troll is nice for out of combat regeneration.

whowzer great advice.

Not only do i get an item, but the place where I can find it and the price. you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Telonius
2021-12-10, 02:34 PM
The best things I think for a healer, is survivability, movement ability to get to those who need it, and proactive things to do when you are not healing. Your vow in many cases leaves you out of combat, so investing in UMD for wands for buffing with off list spells or some kind of control effects is huge. A lot of neat items are not great use of an action in combat for most, but you have flexibility to use your actions to do some neat things because you cannot attack sometimes but you do not just have to sit there and play damage control. Damage prevention is better than damage recovery.

Look deep into various consumables or items with interesting 1x or 3x a day or whatever effects. There are a lot and they can help contribute directly to your party winning easier. Rods and wonderous items usually.

That would all apply to a standard Healer, but they're using a homebrew variant that addresses a bunch of that. Healing spells happen at a range of 25 ft, no "don't attack" vow as far as I can see, 1/round cast healing spells as a Swift action, and you get to cherry-pick 20 Cleric spells (that could include crowd control) to add to the class list. (I'd absolutely recommend consumables, UMD, and something like an Anklet of Translocation for any adventurer anyway, but it's not quite as essential here as it would be to a regular Healer).

Darg
2021-12-10, 05:01 PM
whowzer great advice.

Not only do i get an item, but the place where I can find it and the price. you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

I'm bad with names so I had to look it up anyways so I thought it would be helpful to mention.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-12-10, 10:04 PM
Refer to the Necessary Magic Items (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items), you should have everything covered by items or spells by this level.

(Flight) Reins of Ascension (3300), mount-equipped.
(Mind Blank) Cast Mind Blank on yourself every day.
(Stun Negation, Fear Immunity) Banner of the Storm's Eye (15k), shoulders.
(Daze Negation) Third Eye Clarity (3k), face.
(True Seeing) Carry material components for True Seeing (250 gp each).
(Miss Chance) Ring of Invisibility* (20k), +5 Deflection bonus to AC added (50k, MIC p234), finger 1.
(Tactical Teleportation) Belt of the Wide Earth (8k), waist.
(Tactical Teleportation) Anklet of Translocation (1400), feet. (Get one for the unicorn as well.)
(Immunity to Death Effects) +5 Death Ward Mithral Breastplate (40.2k), armor. (Cast Death Ward on yourself when needed.)
(Freedom of Movement) Ring of Freedom of Movement (40k), finger 2.
(Storage) Saddle bags on your unicorn.
(Dispel Magic and Counters) Learn Greater Dispel Magic from Spell Inspiration.
(Initiative) Bracers of the Blinding Strike (5k), arms.
(Senses) Unnecessary, or pick a Cleric spell to learn for this.

(Hands) Gloves of Endless Javelins (7k)
(Head) Circlet of Rapid Casting (15k), +6 Enhancement to Wis added (36k, MIC p234).
(Vest) Shirt of Wraith Stalking (6k).
(Throat) Necklace of Adaptation (9k), +5 Enhancement to natural armor added (50k, MIC p234), +6 Enhancement to Con added (36k, MIC p234)
(Hand 1) +1 Reflecting Light Steel Shield (36,159), possibly higher than +1 if you can afford it.
(Hand 2) Your preferred melee weapon.

(Other) Standard Metamagic Rod of Extend (11k), 6th level Pearl of Power (36k), learn Energy Immunity from Spell Inspiration. Every other day cast Energy Immunity three times with the rod, using the pearl to recover one for the third casting so it's only two spell slots. On the days in between, cast Energy Immunity twice and Superior Resistance with the rod, using the pearl again on Energy Immunity so it's only two spell slots. Each of those lasts 48 hours, this gives you constant immunity to all five energy types and a +6 resistance bonus on saving throws for two 6th level spell slots per day and the cost of those two items.

*Ring of Invisibility because you can still heal/fix allies, direct your mount, and use other non-attack actions like summoning spells without breaking the invisibility. You can even drop walls to block opponents as long as you're not casting on an opponent. Pick up Summon Monster VII from Spell Inspiration and use it to get a Huge Earth Elemental.

If you can take Item Familiar (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), do so and designate the Ring of Invisibility. Say it started as a Ring of Protection +1 (full price, 2k), and that you upgraded it yourself to what it currently is (36k total instead of 70k, plus 2,720 xp). As an intelligent item it gets actions in combat, it's able to activate itself to make you invisible at the end of every one of your turns. Also remember, "A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#addingNewAbilities)" Since it's already an intelligent item, you can add more intelligent item special abilities and even a special purpose and dedicated power via the normal item creation rules, without going through Item Familiar perks to do it. Always wear a glove or gauntlet over it so opponents never have line of sight/effect to it and can't target it directly, hit it with area effects, or slight of hand it. Intelligent items are treated as constructs, and constructs don't lose sentience in antimagic dead magic areas, can't be disabled by dispelling, and can't be destroyed by disjunction, although those things may temporarily disrupt the benefits you gain from it.

RNightstalker
2022-01-17, 09:52 PM
6. Amulet of Natural Armor, 5 more AC is not terrible, combine with periapt of wisdom, proof against poison, scarab of protection if you cannot do soulfire armor, necklace of adaptation.

Once the Scarab uses all of its absorption, it turns to dust. If it's combined with other items, wouldn't the whole thing crumble?

Jervis
2022-01-17, 10:36 PM
Hey guys. I am making a character of 18th level for a game and I am having very serious difficulties in spending the gold.

what I have so far
Handy Haversack (2,000)
Wand of Bless (750)

Oh.. I am a healer (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?272245-Healer-Re-tooled-please-critique) by the way.

Are you investing skill points in diplomacy? If so a Amulet of Peace for Secrets of Sarlona might be useful. Lets you sub out your AC for a diplomacy check 2/day. Fairly affordable IIRC and you can effectively increase uses by 2 for an extra 50% item combination charge. Even with just charisma and capped ranks it’s gonna blow your AC out of the water and an immediate action to just say no to all of an enemies attacks for a round is pretty good. If you want to go into melee then Gloves of Heartfelt Blows from Dragon Compendium is 12k to get Charisma to all melee damage as bonus fire damage. Domain Icon is expensive but adding a domain to a full list caster temporarily can be useful

And yes before you ask, I have played a Sha’ir Gish before, how could you tell?

xshot40
2022-01-18, 01:17 AM
your armor seems really weak, you could bring that up to +3 or get some other enchantments on it like fortification or resistance that'd burn some money in a constuctive way. honestly a lot of your stuff could just be upgraded with superior vertions of the same thing. you should def get some more wands too than just bless, cure wounds, dispel magic, and heal are all good ones. also pick up some potions for things youll use less and belt of hiden pouches (RotW) to carry them

Max Caysey
2022-01-19, 02:26 PM

what I have so far
Handy Haversack (2,000)
Wand of Bless (750)

Belt of Magnificience +6, Battlebelt, Healing belt, Belt of many Pockets… Starmantle Cloak, Ring of Evasion