PDA

View Full Version : shouldn't haley invest in a portable hole.

tenguro
2007-11-19, 07:51 PM
So I was just over at the wizards boards and there is a topic about how great the portable hole is(my character has one and its great!)

heres the link to it:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=953472

So it got me thinking shouldn't haley invest in on. It has unlimited space, can be folded into your pocket heck she would still have all those coins she lost in the fire at the inn.

Kish
2007-11-19, 08:14 PM
So it got me thinking shouldn't haley invest in on. It has unlimited space, can be folded into your pocket heck she would still have all those coins she lost in the fire at the inn.
Not quite unlimited. It has no weight restrictions, but does have a volume restriction. That said, it is kind of odd that she has eight bags of holding and no portable hole.

Green Bean
2007-11-19, 08:20 PM
Not quite unlimited. It has no weight restrictions, but does have a volume restriction. That said, it is kind of odd that she has eight bags of holding and no portable hole.

It can be reasonable.

:haley:- Hobgoblins are coming, and there's nowhere to hide! Wait, I know; I'll hide in the Portable Hole!

evileeyore
2007-11-19, 08:58 PM
So it got me thinking shouldn't haley invest in on.In... in-vest?

In-what-now?

You obviously don't know Haley very well if you think she'd ever actually buy something. Oh no, that money has one and only one purpose.

Ransoming her Father from Lord Tyrinar.

She has likely acquired every single one of her 8 bags of holding the old fashioned way... Kicked in the door, killed the orc, stole his pie.

Snadgeros
2007-11-19, 09:29 PM
Portable holes do not hold that much more than bags of holding do, and they're really just as practical and barely more portable. Besides, it would also be risky. If one of her bags were to fall into her hole (that came out SO WRONG!) then she'd get sucked into the astral plane. Best to just stick to what works.

dragonseth
2007-11-19, 11:13 PM
Portable holes do not hold that much more than bags of holding do, and they're really just as practical and barely more portable. Besides, it would also be risky. If one of her bags were to fall into her hole (that came out SO WRONG!) then she'd get sucked into the astral plane. Best to just stick to what works.

That could be quite humorous. Hole in the bag=trip to the astral plane. Weee!

Snadgeros
2007-11-19, 11:40 PM
That could be quite humorous. Hole in the bag=trip to the astral plane. Weee!

Free. Trip.

no one special
2007-11-20, 12:10 AM
to quote my favorite OotS character, :belkar: "Kinky"

you cant tell me that you never saw a post like this when you started this thread:smallbiggrin:

Dalenthas
2007-11-20, 12:17 AM
I believe the treasure in the inn was in her bags of holding. Which were also lost in the explosion. No wonder she lost her speaking ability for like 150 strips (or was it 200?).

Spiky
2007-11-20, 01:47 AM
In... in-vest?

She has likely acquired every single one of her 8 bags of holding the old fashioned way... Kicked in the door, killed the orc, stole his pie.

Investment in time, energy, possibly healing potions required in this exercise. Also, opportunity cost in lost coin-cleaning time. Quite expensive, really. Probably cheaper just to go to a store, but not as satisfactory.

The Kool
2007-11-20, 02:48 AM
Time, effort, what's that to her if it helps her get loot? And do you really think she'd buy healing potions? *Ahem* (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html)

Chronos
2007-11-20, 03:46 PM
Haley still has all of her bags of holding. Between Xykon's loot and the dragon's hoard, the party actually had more treasure than would fit into eight bags of holding, hence the need for normal bags in addition. It was those normal bags (except for one) which were lost in the inn explosion.

Hawgh
2007-11-20, 05:47 PM
on a somewhat similar note; can you keep a bag of holding inside another bag of holding? or portable hole for that matter.

chibibar
2007-11-20, 05:56 PM
you can't keep a bag of holding inside another bag of holding. (at least in my world) the magic would cancel each other out and all content will explode outward :)

kentma57
2007-11-20, 06:05 PM
Maby she does have one and it is being saved for a plot twist/emergency?

Chronos
2007-11-20, 10:17 PM
on a somewhat similar note; can you keep a bag of holding inside another bag of holding? or portable hole for that matter.Under the current rules as written, any combination other than specifically a bag of holding and a portable hole will work just fine. So you can keep a bag of holding in a bag of holding, or a portable hole in a portable hole, or a Handy Haversack in either, etc. However, it was the official rule in 2nd edition that any such overlapping of extradimensional spaces would have bad effects (like, "don't cross the streams" bad), and many players still use that rule now.

Gitman00
2007-11-21, 12:19 AM
Under the current rules as written, any combination other than specifically a bag of holding and a portable hole will work just fine. So you can keep a bag of holding in a bag of holding, or a portable hole in a portable hole, or a Handy Haversack in either, etc. However, it was the official rule in 2nd edition that any such overlapping of extradimensional spaces would have bad effects (like, "don't cross the streams" bad), and many players still use that rule now.

Huh. I was all ready to refute the heck out of that, but upon looking it up, you're right. It doesn't even mention it in spell descriptions for Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion and the like. (Yes, I said Mordenkainen. Come and get me, spooky wizard).

Arrogant
2007-11-21, 12:24 AM
How much gold would Haley have left to carry anyway after the explosion

monty
2007-11-21, 12:26 AM
How much gold would Haley have left to carry anyway after the explosion

As far as I know, she still had her bags of holding on her. I think the ones that died in the explosion were just regular bags that had to hold a bunch of the loot because they had too much to put in the bags of holding.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-21, 02:18 AM
Generally, one sticks to one kind of extradimensional space or the other, for reasons mentioned above. Although, if I were playing a Rogue with probably-negligible strength, I'd probably go with Portable holes, as they're weightless and smaller. And more useful as an emergency hiding place. Bags of Holding are more iconic, though.

The Extinguisher
2007-11-21, 02:35 AM
Haley probably lost her bags of holding, Because there was a lot of treasure, and I wouldn't be surprised if they filled them up.

And a couple of bags of dragon treasue lost when you still have 8 bags of holding worth is nothing to go loopy about. Now, only one bag of holding of treasure left, now that's a little worse.

Balgus
2007-11-21, 01:11 PM
Not quite unlimited. It has no weight restrictions, but does have a volume restriction. That said, it is kind of odd that she has eight bags of holding and no portable hole.not too unbelievabler considering the last oe was picked up during adventuring... so its fair to assume that all 8 bags were obtained through treasures.. and perhaps the local shops dont have any black holes for sale...

Heck - With shops like this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html) in the towns they visit - I would be surprised they can buy anything at all... seems the Giant is a stingy God

If anything - i am surprised none have Heft haversacks... isnt that like the first item of adventuring...?

Chronos
2007-11-21, 04:13 PM
Keep in mind, too, that we don't know everything they have. They might have portable holes, or handy haversacks, or efficient quivers, or what not, and we just haven't seen them using them yet.

Icewalker
2007-11-21, 08:26 PM
Free. Trip.

Damn you!

I'd guess she doesn't have one, or we would have seen it. Of course, she could have a stash of gold which she is building up for the ransom kept elsewhere instead of carrying it all with her. Perhaps she does have one but keeps it hidden because it is her personal ransom stash.