PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3rd Party Alternate Epic Magic Systems

AssociateGreen
2021-12-10, 01:35 AM
I've done a lot of hunting around and cannot find any alternative OGL sourcebooks detailing an alternate epic magic system. This seems almost impossible to believe. Not even one book with examples of 10th-, 11th-, and 12th-level spells to use with the existing Improved Spell Capacity feat (which is actually one of the things I'm really looking for) instead of Epic Spellcasting.

In addition, I cannot believe I haven't stumbled onto any other OGL variants for epic leveling either? It's hard to believe no one attempted to make some money off such an idea during 3.5's heyday.

Does anyone remember coming across some material like this in the past? A book title or publisher would be much appreciated. It doesn't even have to be good, just something I could use for a little inspiraiton and to compare and constrast with the stuff I'm already trying to brew.

Biggus
2021-12-10, 02:43 AM
I've got a copy of the Feanmarc system off the old Dicefreaks site, it's a level-based epic spellcasting variant, quite well thought out. I'll PM you a copy if you like.

Locnil
2021-12-10, 03:46 AM
I've got a copy of the Feanmarc system off the old Dicefreaks site, it's a level-based epic spellcasting variant, quite well thought out. I'll PM you a copy if you like.

Not OP but would love to see that.

Tzardok
2021-12-10, 03:58 AM

I would like to see it too, if possible.

Beni-Kujaku
2021-12-10, 04:48 AM
Since everybody is asking, I'll join the crew.

Biggus
2021-12-10, 09:33 AM
It's not really something I can post here (it's long, contains tables which wouldn't format properly etc), is there a way I can attach files to PM's on this site? If not, I'll email it to anyone who sends me their email address.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-12-10, 10:40 AM
It's not really something I can post here (it's long, contains tables which wouldn't format properly etc), is there a way I can attach files to PM's on this site? If not, I'll email it to anyone who sends me their email address.Upload to G.Docs, make sure it's public, and link here?

Biggus
2021-12-10, 12:36 PM
Upload to G.Docs, make sure it's public, and link here?

Tried that but it's mangled the formatting on the tables, possibly because it's such an old document (2007).

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-12-10, 12:46 PM
Tried that but it's mangled the formatting on the tables, possibly because it's such an old document (2007).For stuff like that, I download and use my own program to run it. That, or upload through an online word processing suite like Open Office or Libre Office.

Biggus
2021-12-10, 01:11 PM
For stuff like that, I download and use my own program to run it. That, or upload through an online word processing suite like Open Office or Libre Office.

OK thanks, I might try doing that if lots of people want it, if it's just a few it's easier to email it. I haven't used Google Docs in ages, it took me ten minutes to work out how to upload a file to it...

Kitsuneymg
2021-12-11, 09:06 PM
You could try a print to pdf and upload the result to gdocs.

I’d also like to see it

StSword
2021-12-11, 10:21 PM
The Eclipse: Codex Persona has spells up to 24th level.

Drivethrurpg has a shareware version (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/51255/Eclipse-The-Codex-Persona-Shareware).

Biggus
2021-12-11, 11:05 PM
You could try a print to pdf and upload the result to gdocs.

What program would I use to do that?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-12-11, 11:53 PM
What program would I use to do that?Google to the rescue! (https://www.google.com/search?q=online+adobe+pdf+converter&sxsrf=AOaemvI-Qf0vTgh8aFfhW5uwuY0Q6k82yw%3A1639284804579&source=hp&ei=RIC1Ye7EILKkqtsPuY-4gA8&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYbWOVNKMvbpnKMvKYgTz3mO51He3AqU7&ved=0ahUKEwju9tbju930AhUykmoFHbkHDvAQ4dUDCAk&uact=5&oq=online+adobe+pdf+converter&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBggAEAcQHjIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIA EMgYIABAIEB4yBggAEAgQHjIGCAAQCBAeMgYIABAIEB4yBggAE AgQHjIGCAAQCBAeMgYIABAIEB46BAgjECc6DgguEIAEELEDEMc BEKMCOhEILhCABBCxAxCDARDHARCjAjoFCC4QgAQ6CAgAEIAEE LEDOgsILhCABBDHARCjAjoICC4QgAQQsQM6CAguELEDEIMBOgs IABCABBCxAxDJAzoFCAAQsQM6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOggIABCAB BDJAzoHCAAQgAQQCjoGCAAQFhAeOgQIABANOggIABAIEAcQHlA AWPIpYOAraABwAHgAgAGcAYgBwA6SAQQyNS4xmAEAoAEB&sclient=gws-wiz)

Biggus
2021-12-12, 09:10 AM
Google to the rescue! (https://www.google.com/search?q=online+adobe+pdf+converter&sxsrf=AOaemvI-Qf0vTgh8aFfhW5uwuY0Q6k82yw%3A1639284804579&source=hp&ei=RIC1Ye7EILKkqtsPuY-4gA8&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYbWOVNKMvbpnKMvKYgTz3mO51He3AqU7&ved=0ahUKEwju9tbju930AhUykmoFHbkHDvAQ4dUDCAk&uact=5&oq=online+adobe+pdf+converter&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBggAEAcQHjIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIA EMgYIABAIEB4yBggAEAgQHjIGCAAQCBAeMgYIABAIEB4yBggAE AgQHjIGCAAQCBAeMgYIABAIEB46BAgjECc6DgguEIAEELEDEMc BEKMCOhEILhCABBCxAxCDARDHARCjAjoFCC4QgAQ6CAgAEIAEE LEDOgsILhCABBDHARCjAjoICC4QgAQQsQM6CAguELEDEIMBOgs IABCABBCxAxDJAzoFCAAQsQM6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOggIABCAB BDJAzoHCAAQgAQQCjoGCAAQFhAeOgQIABANOggIABAIEAcQHlA AWPIpYOAraABwAHgAgAGcAYgBwA6SAQQyNS4xmAEAoAEB&sclient=gws-wiz)

I tried the Adobe acrobat online converter, but when I tried to select the file it didn't show up on the list. On looking at it further it appears it's already a pdf, although if that's the case I've no idea why it got changed when I uploaded it to Docs.

Sorry all, this isn't something I've needed to do before, I'm a bit lost.

It opens using Google Chrome as default in case that gives anyone any clue.

Batcathat
2021-12-12, 10:00 AM
Maybe just upload the file to Google Drive? That shouldn't mess with the formatting.

Fizban
2021-12-12, 10:37 AM
I tried the Adobe acrobat online converter, but when I tried to select the file it didn't show up on the list. On looking at it further it appears it's already a pdf, although if that's the case I've no idea why it got changed when I uploaded it to Docs.
That's because you uploaded it to google docs, which tries to convert the pdf into a google word doc and fails miserably. If you just want to share the file as-is, that should be google drive, which I'm pretty sure can have public files same as the rest.

It opens using Google Chrome as default in case that gives anyone any clue.
If it's a pdf it's a pdf. Web browsers have built-in pdf viewers, so I'm not surprised chrome associated the filetype to itself. If you installed a dedicated pdf viewer it could/would yoink the file association.

Biggus
2021-12-12, 12:29 PM
Maybe just upload the file to Google Drive? That shouldn't mess with the formatting.

That's because you uploaded it to google docs, which tries to convert the pdf into a google word doc and fails miserably. If you just want to share the file as-is, that should be google drive, which I'm pretty sure can have public files same as the rest.

OK thanks, I think we've finally cracked it. Do these links work for everyone?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12G9VS3zi2Uv0x7qzGaZCpTUffNUikble/view?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jychd61Dlex3kbBxzr5ccDQTgzpTu9Bw/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=107614918815279471882&rtpof=true&sd=true

Fizban
2021-12-12, 06:11 PM
Yup, first link works fine, displays in-browser with download button and formatting intact as it should.

So at first glance this looks like the normal epic spell system- what are the differences?

The Eclipse: Codex Persona has spells up to 24th level.

Drivethrurpg has a shareware version (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/51255/Eclipse-The-Codex-Persona-Shareware).

I'm highly skeptical of something that says it replaces all splatbooks with what sounds like it's supposed to be freeform/player creation, for all d20 systems. But it's also audacious enough I might try downloading it just to see the crash.

Tzardok
2021-12-12, 06:20 PM
So at first glance this looks like the normal epic spell system- what are the differences?

The differences, as far as I skimmed it, are as follows:

You don't need the Epic Spellcasting feat anymore to cast or develop epic spells
Each epic spell gets a spell level from 10th upward assigned depending on the spellcraft DC to develop it.
You don't need to roll spellcraft anymore to cast it, instead you use spell slots of the appropriate level to prepare/cast them
Normal spells are used as seeds for epic spells, with the usual seeds only being appliable for effects that you can't get anyway else
There is no upper limit for backlash or XP cost to cast

Biggus
2021-12-12, 08:12 PM
The differences, as far as I skimmed it, are as follows:

You don't need the Epic Spellcasting feat anymore to cast or develop epic spells
Each epic spell gets a spell level from 10th upward assigned depending on the spellcraft DC to develop it.
You don't need to roll spellcraft anymore to cast it, instead you use spell slots of the appropriate level to prepare/cast them
Normal spells are used as seeds for epic spells, with the usual seeds only being appliable for effects that you can't get anyway else
There is no upper limit for backlash or XP cost to cast

Those are the most fundamental changes. A few other differences:

- Epic spells known are limited to 1/10 of your total spellcraft score (it actually says "check" not "score" but that doesn't make sense as your check would be different every time you roll, so I assume they mean score)
- Epic spells per day are based on available spell slots above 9th level, not Knowledge (Arcana, Nature or Religion)
- There's now a system for using material components to reduce the spell's DC/level
- You can add metamagic effects, ignore spell resistance, and ignore saving throws by increasing the DC/level substantially
- Default casting time is not 1 minute but is determined by which spell you use as the base seed
- There are new rules for summon spells
- A new range category above long, extreme range (1000ft+100ft/caster level) is added
- The minimum final Spellcraft DC is 30