PDA

View Full Version : How to Cast while Concentrating

SangoProduction
2021-12-10, 06:41 AM
The rules (at least in Pathfinder, which I believe were inherited from 3.5) state that you can't cast if you're concentrating on another spell.

Aside from dropping the concentration (which is just unacceptable), is there any other way to cast while concentrating on a spell?

loky1109
2021-12-10, 07:01 AM
There are one skill trick and one feat (look at Xokhtohm in my signature).

Tzardok
2021-12-10, 07:01 AM
Concentrating on a spell spends your standard action for that round. Maybe there is an exception for quickened spells?

SangoProduction
2021-12-10, 07:31 AM
Concentrating on a spell spends your standard action for that round. Maybe there is an exception for quickened spells?

It's not related to the casting time.

You can’t cast a spell while concentrating on another one. Some spells last for a short time after you cease concentrating.

noob
2021-12-10, 07:40 AM
The rules (at least in Pathfinder, which I believe were inherited from 3.5) state that you can't cast if you're concentrating on another spell.

Aside from dropping the concentration (which is just unacceptable), is there any other way to cast while concentrating on a spell?

There is a 3.5 buff spell that gives you the ability to hold two concentrations so it is definitively possible to cast while concentrating in 3.5 else that spell would be pointless because you would not be able to cast a second spell to concentrate on after the first concentration spell.

Khedrac
2021-12-10, 07:51 AM
There is no general method, but there are a few specific ones.

The first method is to be a 10+ Spirit Shaman where one's Spirit Guide can maintain concentration on one spell for the shaman thus freeing them to cast another spell.

Biggus
2021-12-10, 09:39 AM
The methods the others are referring to are:

Extraordinary Concentration (feat, CAdv p.109)

Swift Concentration (skill trick, CSco p.90)

Sonorous Hum (Bd/C/S/W spell, SpC p.196)

There are one skill trick and one feat (look at Xokhtohm in my signature).

I can't see a signature on your post?

Darg
2021-12-10, 11:15 AM
In 3.5, the only ways to do so are the Spirit Shaman level 10 ability or the Sonorous Hum spell. Extraordinary concentration feat and the skill trick don't give you permission to cast another spell. All they do are speed up the action taken (you can't quicken cast a spell while concentrating normally so reducing the action taken to concentrate does not allow you to cast while concentrating).

loky1109
2021-12-10, 11:32 AM
I can't see a signature on your post?
Hm. I can't, too. Maybe we should look full site version? As I can see in mobile version signatures disappear if you redacted post.

I referenced to my sing for Extraordinary Concentration feat that I used it the build.

Biggus
2021-12-10, 11:49 AM
Hm. I can't, too. Maybe we should look full site version? As I can see in mobile version signatures disappear if you redacted post.

I referenced to my sing for Extraordinary Concentration feat that I used it the build.

OK, this is really weird, in your first post in this thread your sig isn't visible, in your second one it is.

I'm looking at it on a desktop in case it matters.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-12-10, 11:56 AM
OK, this is really weird, in your first post in this thread your sig isn't visible, in your second one it is.

I'm looking at it on a desktop in case it matters.Ditto on all counts.

Darg
2021-12-10, 12:07 PM
Same on phone but using desktop site.

Edit: mobile site doesn't show it in the first but does in the second.

Biggus
2021-12-10, 12:18 PM
In 3.5, the only ways to do so are the Spirit Shaman level 10 ability or the Sonorous Hum spell. Extraordinary concentration feat and the skill trick don't give you permission to cast another spell. All they do are speed up the action taken (you can't quicken cast a spell while concentrating normally so reducing the action taken to concentrate does not allow you to cast while concentrating).

Your mind is so focused that you can cast spells even while concentrating on another spell.

Swift concentration is vaguer, it just says "you can maintain your mental focus while attending to another task" so it's debatable whether that's meant to include spells or not.

Jack_Simth
2021-12-10, 02:34 PM
Familiar Concentration ,Lost Empires of Faerun, p. 8. Pass control of the spell off to your familiar, and now you are no longer concentrating, but the spell remains.

Telonius
2021-12-10, 02:46 PM
You could probably pull something close to that with a Dvati, but that's a really edge case.

Zanos
2021-12-10, 03:37 PM
I guess another question then is, if you can concentrate on a spell indefinitely, is there anything interesting you can do?

Most concentration spells were not that good, if I remember correctly.

Jack_Simth
2021-12-10, 04:06 PM
I guess another question then is, if you can concentrate on a spell indefinitely, is there anything interesting you can do?

Wall of Fire and a lot of illusions. Generally circumstantial use, such as fighting off a horde of humanoid skeletons or zombies.

Still, Wall of Fire spits out a lot of heat, so if you can have a tireless, disposable minion concentrate for you, it replaces Permanency.

Khedrac
2021-12-10, 04:18 PM

Summon Elemental Monolith and then do stuff (like chastise spirits or turn undead). Or in the case of a high level Spirit Shaman, summon a second elemental monolith...

For druids - summon swarm then widshape into a creature with flight to get out of it's way.

Gruftzwerg
2021-12-11, 11:58 AM
There is a 3.5 buff spell that gives you the ability to hold two concentrations so it is definitively possible to cast while concentrating in 3.5 else that spell would be pointless because you would not be able to cast a second spell to concentrate on after the first concentration spell.

(Anyone knows the name of the spell? I'm curious. I think I'm remembering it somehow..)

Sorry, but imho your assumption is flawed.

1. You start to "concentrate to maintain a spell" the round after you have cast it. In the round when you are casting it, you sole need to concentrate on the cast itself (which doesn't block you from casting other spells)
2. There are many ways to cast 2 spells or more in a single round: e.g. Quicken, Arcane Spellsurge, (Greater) Arcane Fusion...

So, you don't need to cast a spell while concentrating to have 2 spells up that demand concentration. The problem is just under normal circumstances, you can only concentrate on one. So, there is a use for that spell (or was it an ability?) under relatively normal circumstances.

You could probably pull something close to that with a Dvati, but that's a really edge case.

Sadly not. Dvati twins both need to concentrate on casting a spell. One may do nothing as specific exception. Due to this, they can't cast a spell while concentrating on another. The sole benefit they have is, that they can by default concentrate on 2 spells (since this part isn't shared). So, if the Dvati cast 2 spells in the same round who both need to be concentrated on, they could do that.

Jack_Simth
2021-12-11, 12:27 PM
(Anyone knows the name of the spell? I'm curious. I think I'm remembering it somehow..)Sonorous Hum, spell compendium page 196. Bard 2, Sor/Wiz/Clr 3, Minutes/level personal spell, standard action cast: The next spell you cast that requires concentration is maintained for the remaining duration of Sonorous Hum.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-12-11, 12:29 PM
Sadly not. Dvati twins both need to concentrate on casting a spell. One may do nothing as specific exception. Due to this, they can't cast a spell while concentrating on another. The sole benefit they have is, that they can by default concentrate on 2 spells (since this part isn't shared). So, if the Dvati cast 2 spells in the same round who both need to be concentrated on, they could do that.Doesn't include psionic powers, spell-like abilities, supernatural abilities, extraordinary or natural abilities that mimic spells, magic or mundane items, etc. So if you focus on those, you aren't beholden to that restriction.

Ramza00
2021-12-12, 12:30 PM

Wall of Sand spell compendium version is
Concentration + 1 round/level

And is no save blindness plus deafened, no ranged attacks, no movement unless you make a STR dc of 15 (A creature moves 5 feet through a wall of sand for every 5 points by which its Strength check result exceeds 10) even this dc of 15 requires a full round action to move 5 feet and if you fail no movement and a waste of action, no spellcasting if the spell has a verbal component and a concentration check of 20+Spell Level for other types of spells. Plus about 5 other things in the long spell description, and lastly this 4th level spell is shappable.

Concentration is not really needed for most combats are not 7 rounds long, but this is an amazing spell for wizards, sorcerers, clerics, druids (where it it is 5th level) … but it also makes an awesome scroll for familiars, imbue familiar with spell ability, etc.

If the enemy does not have a freedom of movement effect, no matter what it is 1 standard action plus spell and the enemy must spend at least a full round action to escape via movement, or a standard action / immediate action teleport that includes a concentration check of 21 to 29. It is like Maze but multi target, a different ability check (str instead of int) and four spell levels earlier aka 8 character levels earlier.