PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spice up your game with Maneuvers and Metamagics

Bjarkmundur
2021-12-11, 11:59 AM
Now I have been trying my absolute best to like feats. Kane0 and others have been an amazing help in this process. But I'm still simply of the opinion.... that I don't like them. I'll probably use them at some point, just for my player's sake, but I also thought of something different:

My idea was instead of using feats to give my players additional options and interesting builds, why not use Maneuvers and Metamagics. You can tinker with the lists as you please (infact, I have already done so). Hear me out.

Starting at 1st level, choose either Metamagics or Maneuvers for your character:

Maneuvers:
You gain 1 Maneuver from the Maneuver List (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zi5IvFGeIi2FL5n303IylWhkEYiaOWzukIaX_jbgJgQ/edit?usp=sharing).
You gain one Superiority Die that's a d6, you regain your Superiority dice and the end of a Short rest.
When your character gains an ASI, you gain one additional Maneuver and one additional Superiority Die, and you can choose to swap one Maneuver you know from one from the Maneuver list.

Metamagics:
You gain 1 Metamagic option from the Metamagic List (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nlcj802pa4-Dz94smn72qjimvvlhCKw22q9CwdKD4JE/edit?usp=sharing).
You gain two Sorcery Points, and you regain all spent Sorcery Points the end of a Long rest.
When your character gains an ASI, you gain one additional Metamagic and two additional Sorcery Points, and you can choose to swap one Metamagic you know from one from the Metamagic list.

-------------------------------

I'm completely flipping my manure here, this is so cool.

I would of course add some new options, some inspired by the feats this would replace, for example.

And because each character gets to choose, you choose to take Maneuvers for yourTempest Cleric, or Metamagics for your Oath of the Ancients Paladni!

Because I don't play with feats, I think this is the absolutely coolest thing ever to get for free from level 1 xD

Do you think these two options are balanced? Do you think metamgics is overall a stronger option than maneuvers?
Do you think this would seriously step on the toes of sorcerers, to give clerics, druids, bards and the other spellcasters access to metamagic?

Kane0
2021-12-11, 05:39 PM
Do you think these two options are balanced? Do you think metamgics is overall a stronger option than maneuvers?
Do you think this would seriously step on the toes of sorcerers, to give clerics, druids, bards and the other spellcasters access to metamagic?

About as balanced as feats are. It would of course step on Battlemasters and Sorcerers since everyone gets their trick but they dont get anyone else's (or feats as an alternative), but it does stack at least so they become notably better at them.

Deepbluediver
2021-12-12, 08:32 AM
Now I have been trying my absolute best to like feats. Kane0 and others have been an amazing help in this process. But I'm still simply of the opinion.... that I don't like them. I'll probably use them at some point, just for my player's sake, but I also thought of something different:
I'm sorry I can't be more help here, but out of curiosity can you articulate WHY you don't like feats? To me they are infinitely more interesting, and therefor more fun, than passive stat-increases. One of my biggest complaints with 5E was that you had to ask you DM for permission to use feats, instead of just being able to assume that they were pickable by default.