PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Construct Vehicles by Raw

Jervis
2021-12-11, 04:03 PM
Hello friends. I'm working on a very, very, stupid character build that requires a vehicle that's also a white dragon effigy (or maybe eidolon). I was inspired by this handbook https://docs.google.com/document/d/14zilT4WGOyHM0AfpG4-GmD2FkgDg1HZ9HC1cTleQHds/edit#! but it raises the question of modifying constructs. Specifically, are there any rules against modifying constructs to hollow them out and put things inside of them, and ideally are there any rules for doing so? I know that raw you can share the space of any creature two sizes larger than you but i don't think that helps here. I was also looking for rules anywhere for a building, saddle, or vehicle that you can slap on the back of a huge or larger creature that gives total cover to creatures inside so i would be within reasonable range for a refluff. The closest i've found is the Howdah from A&EG but thats just a four creature saddle. I would also need something that lets you ride a flying creature without issue but item combining rules let you combine a flying saddle without issue i think.

Edit: I know animate object as an option but ideally id like to avoid it. That stats are less than desirable and it involves making a air ship first that looks like a white dragon and/or giving a blue dragon statue a fly speed.

Bohandas
2021-12-11, 06:48 PM
I think there was an old Dragon Magazine adventure that was set inside a giant construct, but I forget what it was called

Jervis
2021-12-11, 07:27 PM
I think there was an old Dragon Magazine adventure that was set inside a giant construct, but I forget what it was called

Was it dragon or dungeon, I’ll need to leaf through dragon Dex

Gruftzwerg
2021-12-12, 12:10 AM
Edit: I know animate object as an option but ideally id like to avoid it. That stats are less than desirable and it involves making a air ship first that looks like a white dragon and/or giving a blue dragon statue a fly speed.

That's something that you can deal with.
______

Why not turn yourself into a vehicle?

A few examples:

Urban Druids have Urban Shape. At later levels they can shape into animated object of different sizes. Further the class offers enough spells to buff you up.

Another option is to be a warforged and Alter Self into an Animated Object (e.g. via Tattooed Monk). An Iron Chef entry of mine, G.R.8 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24938996&postcount=113), can turn into a huge animated object with space for your entire party (up to 4 riders). If you want some Sabre Rider/gundam/mech/transformer feeling with your table, here you go^^

Jervis
2021-12-12, 01:33 AM
That's something that you can deal with.
______

Why not turn yourself into a vehicle?

A few examples:

Urban Druids have Urban Shape. At later levels they can shape into animated object of different sizes. Further the class offers enough spells to buff you up.

Another option is to be a warforged and Alter Self into an Animated Object (e.g. via Tattooed Monk). An Iron Chef entry of mine, G.R.8 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24938996&postcount=113), can turn into a huge animated object with space for your entire party (up to 4 riders). If you want some Sabre Rider/gundam/mech/transformer feeling with your table, here you go^^

Tempting. I’ll probably do something like that at some point but this is specifically a vehicle for a character build i’m making. I’m making Seto Kaiba and I need to make his Blue Eyes White Jet. So far i’m doing either Astral Construct spam with reflavoring or maybe Untapped Potential (3rd party unfortunately but might use it since this isn’t a serious build) or a Artificer that makes Effigies and stores them somehow.

Closest I’ve come to making the jet other than animate object is combining a folding boat with a White Dragon effigy but that’s on very fishy ground Raw and requires making a effigy husk that’s combined with a folding boat before animation, which I don’t think works.

Gruftzwerg
2021-12-12, 01:38 AM
Tempting. I’ll probably do something like that at some point but this is specifically a vehicle for a character build i’m making. I’m making Seto Kaiba and I need to make his Blue Eyes White Jet. So far i’m doing either Astral Construct spam with reflavoring or maybe Untapped Potential (3rd party unfortunately but might use it since this isn’t a serious build) or a Artificer that makes Effigies and stores them somehow.

Closest I’ve come to making the jet other than animate object is combining a folding boat with a White Dragon effigy but that’s on very fishy ground Raw and requires making a effigy husk that’s combined with a folding boat before animation, which I don’t think works.

Urban Druids also get an Urban Companion that can be an Animated Object. Small at first lvl, but can switched to larger ones on later levels. You also have multiple ways to buff it and it also becomes stronger while you level.

Jervis
2021-12-12, 02:26 AM
Urban Druids also get an Urban Companion that can be an Animated Object. Small at first lvl, but can switched to larger ones on later levels. You also have multiple ways to buff it and it also becomes stronger while you level.

Hm. I wonder if I can incorporate that into the build. I need to see if I can progress urban companion levels while I progress classes better for crafting. Immediate guess would be UD 5 into Chameleon into Mystic or something else that breaks slot level cap. But I need something for progressing urban companion though. I’d rather avoid just casting animate object on the jet because dispel magic. OH CRAP I CAN MAKE A DECK BOX OF HOLDING FULL OF PUPETS HE CAN ANIMATE! But that’s kinda boring if I use that for every monster.

Gruftzwerg
2021-12-12, 02:50 AM
Further have a look at this official online document (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a):

There is a duid ACF called City Shape that also gives access to animated object forms.

((Further there is the Urban Companion ACF for druids & rangers. But be aware that this ability works more as familiar with some exceptions and not as animal companion like the version the Urban Druid gets. This one is different (e.g. 3/4 of your max hp). Thus, doesn't get any extra feats as an animal companion would do. On the other hand, as a familiar, even if you don't progress the ability, the familiars Hp and bab increases with your values (good for gish builds). And you share your skill ranks with it. Which means it also has your Craft skills and can aid you, or craft (mundane non magical) items for you while you are sleeping/resting (since it doesn't need to sleep and can do something useful in the meanwhile). This option has ups and down compared to the Urban Druid's version. Decide for yourself.))

eidt: thx to Dragonsworn I realized the the ability does sole give basic familiars and not the options that an Urban Druid has with his Urban Companion..

Jervis
2021-12-12, 03:04 AM
Further have a look at this official online document (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a):

There is a duid ACF called City Shape that also gives access to animated object forms.

Further there is the Urban Companion ACF for druids & rangers. But be aware that this ability works more as familiar with some exceptions and not as animal companion like the version the Urban Druid gets. This one is different (e.g. 3/4 of your max hp). Thus, doesn't get any extra feats as an animal companion would do. On the other hand, as a familiar, even if you don't progress the ability, the familiars Hp and bab increases with your values (good for gish builds). And you share your skill ranks with it. Which means it also has your Craft skills and can aid you, or craft (mundane non magical) items for you while you are sleeping/resting (since it doesn't need to sleep and can do something useful in the meanwhile). This option has ups and down compared to the Urban Druid's version. Decide for yourself.

Interesting. I always liked cityscape. It’s a fun book and the web enhancements are actually pretty good. I wish I could just slap a folding boat onto a effigy’s body before turning it into a construct and have it keep the fold boat’s abilities, EI the hollowed out inside. I don’t think that works though. Either way thanks for showing me that article.

Gruftzwerg
2021-12-12, 03:26 AM
EI the hollowed out inside. I don’t think that works though.

An animated object doesn't set any limitations to this. If the object is designed as hollowed out inside, than it is so. You can imagine/design any kind of object you want.

Bohandas
2021-12-12, 04:18 AM

Dungeon. Sorry.

ShurikVch
2021-12-12, 07:24 AM
Hello friends. I'm working on a very, very, stupid character build that requires a vehicle that's also a white dragon effigy (or maybe eidolon). I was inspired by this handbook https://docs.google.com/document/d/14zilT4WGOyHM0AfpG4-GmD2FkgDg1HZ9HC1cTleQHds/edit#! but it raises the question of modifying constructs. Specifically, are there any rules against modifying constructs to hollow them out and put things inside of them, and ideally are there any rules for doing so?
Dunno if it helps there, but general rules for vehicles allow to add a Passenger Spaces:

Passenger Spaces: Available cargo space can be converted for passenger use; one ton (2,000 pounds) of cargo space can accommodate two Medium-size or smaller passengers comfortably. Twice as many can squeeze into passenger space for short periods of time, but they are too cramped to fight effectively and are considered fatigued after an hour's travel.
Cost: 200 gp per ton.
In the same page also Passenger Spaces, Fancy (600 gp per ton) and Passenger Spaces, Luxury (1500 gp per ton; Each luxury passenger space takes up two tons of cargo space.)

"Heart of the Iron God" (Dungeon #97, pg. 23)

Dragonsworn
2021-12-13, 09:45 AM

Reading the Cityscape Web Enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) I don't see how a Druid could have an animated object as a companion.......was that on another article?

Gruftzwerg
2021-12-13, 10:11 AM
Reading the Cityscape Web Enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) I don't see how a Druid could have an animated object as a companion.......was that on another article?

Oh.. I guess I mixed the AFC Urban Companion with the ability for Urban Druid up...
I thought the familiar list would be altered, but as it seems it's sole the basic familiar choices.
I'll edit the post and add the info..

Seerow
2021-12-14, 09:57 AM
Is PF material allowed? Because Construct Armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs) seems like it would do exactly what you are looking for.

Bohandas
2021-12-16, 03:19 AM

Dungeon. Sorry.

Found it. Dungeon Magazine issue #97, "Heart of the Iron God"