PDA

View Full Version : Please comment on my PF build!

Warchon
2021-12-11, 11:27 PM
I'm making a 4 legged barbarian. This is a low-op group so I don't need to make something overwhelming, but I haven't played a full BAB class before and want to be sure I'm doing the barb justice.

My group has three characters with some amount of spellcasting but no fullcaster, so I wanted to provide some kind of insurance against magic users, especially since our primary foes so far have been the minions of high level mages.

This is also a Cohort gained through Leadership, so I did want to put in a decent amount of optimization since he'll be at least two levels below the party at all times.

And yes, while not quite home brew, the DM has explicitly approved to give a monster race PC class levels and come up with stat adjustments rather than using the standard stat block.

The animal already exists in game so his background is not malleable. He was tortured and possibly killed multiple times by mages, and the goblin tribe be belonged to was wiped out before the party adopted him.

Moon Moon
Race: Goblin Dog
Stat adjustments: CON +2, WIS +2, CHA -2
Adjusted stats: Str 17 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 8 Wis 13 Cha 6

Traits: Trade Camel (Projectile Vomit attack. Terrible action economy, but way too appropriate to pass up for an animal who explicitly eats only rotting meat. Should make for good roleplay!)
Auspicious Tattoo (He's been branded by the bad guys we're chasing, and a will save bonus on a Barbarian is an easy yes)

Since he won't be able to wield most weapons, the DM has also allowed him to trade in all the weapon proficiencies and instead get Unarmed Strike advancement as a Brawler, but if somebody wants to try a similar build and isn't given the same grace, the Brawler Rage Power accomplishes the same thing, or you can make do with armor spikes or similar unusual weaponry.

On to the build! 20 levels of Invulnerable Rager

L1: Step Up (5 foot step as an immediate action if somebody tries to 5-foot step out of melee range)
L2: Lesser Beast Totem (Adds 2 Claw attacks while raging)
L3: Lesser Abyssal Blood (Adding 2 more Claw attacks may be feasible on a quadruped, but in my case the DM gave him horns and a Gore attack instead. Frankly I would have taken this rage power even with no effect, since I want what it's a prereq for.)
L4: Superstition (The save bonuses are double edged, but his purpose is mage killer.) The ability point obviously goes into Strength.
L5: Multiattack (This is where he becomes a blender. Unarmed Strikes are still just ok, but moving his 4 natural attacks (Bite, Claw, Claw, Gore) from a -5 to a -2 makes his full attack pretty scary.)
L6: Abyssal Blood (Enlarged while raging? His main purpose is to threaten casters and now he has reach. This is indispensable since as a non humanoid he's not normally a valid target for the spell.)
L7: Combat Reflexes (Goading the fighter to provoke AoO and then casting with impunity is no longer going to cut it.)
L8: Beast Totem (that Natural Armor bonus is going to help. His AC will already be suffering because the amulet slot is reserved for Mighty Fists. This is probably beyond necessary.)
L9: Raging Vitality (Barbarians at this level essentially die at 0hp. That's brutal and you *need* to do something about it.
L10: Greater Beast Totem (At this point his full attack is six swings. Doing that on a charge is a straight up death sentence.)
L11: Eater of Magic (Even without the temporary hp, getting a reroll on a crucial save is well worth a feat.)

That's the build so far. This goes seven levels beyond where the party is at now so I'm not too worried about building all the way to 18 yet.

Obviously a saves cloak, Mighty Fists, and a strength belt--maybe even Physical Perfection are top priority magic items, but as a Cohort he'll always be fairly cash poor. I'm not worried about Rage/Day since this is an RP heavy campaign and we often go weeks between fights. The 15 minute adventuring day is our norm.

So what do you think? I feel like this little dude should be a decent threat once he's ticked off but I want to hear from the other players here.

Kurald Galain
2021-12-12, 04:15 AM
This is a low-op group so I don't need to make something overwhelming,
Well, you possibly did. You haven't specified which level you're actually playing at, but a high-str natural attack build is one of the most damaging options in low-to-mid level. If the group is low-op then you're likely going to be upstaging everybody else.

And it looks like your GM is giving big bonuses for free on top of that, including free monk unarmed strike damage, and having Abyssal's claws and Beast Totem's claws stack instead of overlap. And, you know, allowing Leadership in the first place.

So yeah, it's a solid build but likely to completely overwhelm a low-op group in terms of combat damage.

Warchon
2021-12-12, 04:33 PM
Thank you for the honest weigh in. There's actually. Second Leadership in the group, as well as some "storyline powers" that aren't even well defined but cause big power jumps in dire situations. Mostly that's based on the DM trusting us to not be ****ty about it--in Moon Moon's case I'm actually gating his Rage behind actually being pissed off-'-unless he or his rider go under half hp, or he himself is the target of a spell, he's just a biter with thick skin.

Even with two levels of gap you think he's that bad?

gijoemike
2021-12-14, 11:44 AM
You say low - op but with all the storyline powers and extra feat trades this thing you have posted isn't low OP. This is a raging multi-attacking pumped up damage monster. It isn't uberchanger levels of broken but at level 6 an enlarged raging bite + claw + claw + ( horns + gore) with the brawler advancements for unarmed damage will drop anything that is appropriate CR. And all of that is without power attack to lessen the attack roll.

Bites, claws, and horns are not unarmed strikes they are natural weapons. Under the normal rules they wouldn't advance in damage if you had monk or brawler levels. So this is even more GM rules twisting. With so many homebrew rules it is really difficult for an outsider to guess how this is going to go.