PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete plotlines...

gnomish dwelf
2021-12-13, 03:05 AM
Anyone else wonders what is going on in the place where the god moot was being held? what about the dwarven lands? what about the exiled paladins? I am sure we will return to those plotlines in some point in the future, but I really wonder where we will go.

brian 333
2021-12-13, 09:04 AM
Upon gaining use of the Mechane this point was brought up, and the author was fairly clear that the main characters were not going to fly around completing every open quest like in a video game.

I would suspect that some of those dangling plot hooks become their own story, but I am betting we've seen the last of some.

As an example, if we never see a resolution of the Godsmoot, how will it matter to the story?

gnomish dwelf
2021-12-13, 09:06 AM
well, the godsmoot determines if the deities give up... so... it need not be like a videogame, with the order of the stick finishing the plotlines, but with the plotlines finishing themselves and having lasting effect on the plot hook, while the author's art is intentionally simple, his comedy and story building is definitely complex and amazing.

Peelee
2021-12-13, 09:10 AM
well, the godsmoot determines if the deities give up... so... it need not be like a videogame, with the order of the stick finishing the plotlines, but with the plotlines finishing themselves and having lasting effect on the plot hook, while the author's art is intentionally simple, his comedy and story building is definitely complex and amazing.

We never need to revisit the godsmoot. If the world continues, we know they voted no. If the world blows up suddenly from. Something we don't see, we know they voted yes. If the world blows up from other situations we do see, their vote is irrelevant.

We will likely never see the godsmoot again.

gnomish dwelf
2021-12-13, 10:03 AM
We never need to revisit the godsmoot. If the world continues, we know they voted no. If the world blows up suddenly from. Something we don't see, we know they voted yes. If the world blows up from other situations we do see, their vote is irrelevant.

Ok, that sounds reasonable, but i will miss it :'(

NerdyKris
2021-12-13, 11:16 AM

Well, I think we'll get a shot of the gods cancelling it once the threat of the Snarl is over. And Hel's situation might get a reference given that she now has two vampire clerics to start her own church and solve her souls problem.

But none of those are really incomplete plotlines, they're just things that no longer concern the Order. The exiled Azurites have a new homeland. Tarquin is inconsequential to the main story, that's the whole point of why Elan called in a the Mechane crew. The Order showing up to deal with him just proves him right. The dwarven issue and the Godsmoot issues are both resolved with the Snarl.

Fyraltari
2021-12-13, 12:52 PM
Anyone else wonders what is going on in the place where the god moot was being held? what about the dwarven lands?
Nothing much. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1179.html)

what about the exiled paladins?
Who?

gnomish dwelf
2021-12-13, 01:07 PM
Nothing much. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1179.html)

Who?

Azure City was taken, the city of paladins became the city of goblins, while globotopia was founded the paladins left in search of a new land to call home. They are effectively exiled.

Fyraltari
2021-12-13, 01:14 PM
Azure City was taken, the city of paladins became the city of goblins, while globotopia was founded the paladins left in search of a new land to call home. They are effectively exiled.

Quick note Azurite =/= paladins. Of the Azurites, Hinjo, O-Chul and Lien are the only paladins left. Kazumi and Daigo, for example, aren't paladins. (Meanwhile, Sir François, seen here (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0975.html), is a non-Azurite paladin).

Last we've heard of them, Hinjo learned of the Resistance's destruction and seemed like he decided to head for Kraagor's Gate?

Resileaf
2021-12-13, 01:15 PM

V already resolved that. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0643.html)

Metastachydium
2021-12-13, 01:20 PM
Hinjo, O-Chul and Lien are the only paladins left.

That's not technically true. Many were away at the time of the battle (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0413.html), and out of those, we've only learned Thanh's fate.

drazen
2021-12-13, 01:24 PM
Anyone else wonders what is going on in the place where the god moot was being held? what about the dwarven lands? what about the exiled paladins? I am sure we will return to those plotlines in some point in the future, but I really wonder where we will go.

We got semi-resolutions. Durkon's family and friends are hunting the vampires and the dwarves are taking anti-domination precautions while they work on getting the new table. The Godsmoot will continue indefinitely until that happens. And the whole point of Tarquin is that he'd fall off-screen because if he's relevant, he wins, but if he's a mere footnote, he loses.

There are several much more interesting, open things to resolve:

- Redcloak stole Xykon's phylactery; what will become of that?
- Roy told Roy's Archon to work on a plan in Celestia; what was it, and will it work?
- What are the fiends up to with their "direct action" and "artifact" with a "suitable vessel" that Sabine is getting?
- What species is the MITD? When will he get his big dramatic reveal, and how?
- How will Belkar meet his ultimate prophesized fate?
- Ultimate fate of Xykon & Redcloak. It's doubtful it's as simple as a battle where they get snuffed out.
- What's up with the planet in the rift? (Yes, I know Rich has said the Snarl is just the MacGuffin, but the stuff in the rifts has been referenced enough it would be REALLY weird if it did not matter, unless there was a point to it not mattering)

Fyraltari
2021-12-13, 01:29 PM
That's not technically true. Many were away at the time of the battle (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0413.html), and out of those, we've only learned Thanh's fate.

While that's not wrong, we also know that Hinjo had to resort to employing Daigo and Kazumi to train his troops, implying that all of those are still missing.

KorvinStarmast
2021-12-13, 01:32 PM
V already resolved that. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0643.html)
Not to mention the detailed efforts to make their new land their homeland, led by Hinjo and the Katos in GDGU. And I just noticed this from Rich in 2018.

Hinjo, on the other hand, still has a major role to play in events yet to come, so it’s not bad to be able to check in on him, too. Emphasis Mine

gnomish dwelf
2021-12-13, 02:00 PM
We got semi-resolutions. Durkon's family and friends are hunting the vampires and the dwarves are taking anti-domination precautions while they work on getting the new table. The Godsmoot will continue indefinitely until that happens. And the whole point of Tarquin is that he'd fall off-screen because if he's relevant, he wins, but if he's a mere footnote, he loses.

- Roy told Roy's Archon to work on a plan in Celestia; what was it, and will it work?
- What are the fiends up to with their "direct action" and "artifact" with a "suitable vessel" that Sabine is getting?
- Ultimate fate of Xykon & Redcloak. It's doubtful it's as simple as a battle where they get snuffed out.
- What's up with the planet in the rift? (Yes, I know Rich has said the Snarl is just the MacGuffin, but the stuff in the rifts has been referenced enough it would be REALLY weird if it did not matter, unless there was a point to it not mattering)

yes, those are interesting, but I believe that seeing new azurite city being founded would be interesting too

Metastachydium
2021-12-13, 02:10 PM
While that's not wrong, we also know that Hinjo had to resort to employing Daigo and Kazumi to train his troops, implying that all of those are still missing.

Figures. Sometimes I do wonder what became of those folks we've never seen.

drazen
2021-12-13, 02:20 PM
yes, those are interesting, but I believe that seeing new azurite city being founded would be interesting too

There is a story about the Azurites' new settlement in the print/PDF book, Good Deeds Gone Unpunished.

(Fun side note: I mistakenly typed that as "Good Deeds Gone Unpublished" before noticing the error ... whoops!)

MartianInvader
2021-12-13, 02:44 PM
I think we'll see Tarquin again, though maybe in a scene with Ian and not with the Order. There's still the dangling question of what the secret plan is that Elan whispered to Ian.

gnomish dwelf
2021-12-13, 04:16 PM

Quick note Azurite =/= paladins. Of the Azurites, Hinjo, O-Chul and Lien are the only paladins left. Kazumi and Daigo, for example, aren't paladins. (Meanwhile, Sir François, seen here (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0975.html), is a non-Azurite paladin).

Last we've heard of them, Hinjo learned of the Resistance's destruction and seemed like he decided to head for Kraagor's Gate?

Yeah, not all paladins are azurites, and not all azurites are paladins, many azurites aren't paladins, but most paladins we have seen are azurites...

ComicSansSeraph
2021-12-13, 05:39 PM

It's a moot point.

InvisibleBison
2021-12-13, 05:47 PM
I think we'll see Tarquin again, though maybe in a scene with Ian and not with the Order. There's still the dangling question of what the secret plan is that Elan whispered to Ian.

I would be astonished if we saw Tarquin again. The conclusion to the Empire of Blood arc established that Tarquin isn't part of Elan's story and he's not relevant to the comic's narrative. Having the comic show what's going on with Tarquin or the efforts to overthrow him would invalidate that conclusion, and I can't think of anything that would justify doing so.

Lord Torath
2021-12-13, 05:54 PM
yes, those are interesting, but I believe that seeing new azurite city being founded would be interesting tooSatisfy your curiosity by reading Good Deeds Gone Unpunished:
Software Format (https://richburlew.gumroad.com/l/ootsgdgu)
Sofecover Format (https://ookoodook.com/products/order-of-the-stick-book-good-deeds-gone-unpunished)

gnomish dwelf
2021-12-13, 05:57 PM
Thanks, now I know what I will ask for xmass {scrubbed}

Mike Havran
2021-12-13, 06:15 PM
I would be astonished if we saw Tarquin again. And I would be astonished if we didn't, even if only in a sequel book that focuses on Western continent. There are too many loose ends up there, even if they are not relevant to the main plot now.

BloodSquirrel
2021-12-13, 07:59 PM
The Empire of Blood is a part of Elan's story, but it's no the main story of the comic. It's likely to be something that gets addressed in an epilogue.

The one thing about it that might need to be checked up on is the Snarl coming out of the Girard's gate- but just like the other plot threads mentioned here, that will be taken care of by the resolution of the main plot. We don't need a whole storyline devoted to it.

brian 333
2021-12-13, 08:49 PM
An in-comic resolution to many of these issues would reduce the number of available plot hooks in the 'Stickverse Campaign Setting' that nobody is talking about publishing yet.

I say leave them dangling so Milton the quarter-dragon lizardfolk cleric that I just rolled up can undergo his apprenticeship with Myron before betraying him and feeding him to his one true queen after lacing the corpse with the most toxic substance known to dragons that he disguised as powdered sugar so that he is hailed as a hero by the populace and be too popular for any duly elected governmemt to ignore so he can whisper in the ears of whoever assumes control of the former Empire of Blood.

Wow, I've thought about that a bit too much. Anyway...

Campaign setting plot hooks. Let players tie up the unfinished storylines.

Ooooh! A sponsored tournament in Lake Geneva where players gather for a weekend of revelry and a 16 hour marathon where DMs are given 6-8 players and an adventure module for each of the unfinished sub-plots!

gnomish dwelf
2021-12-13, 10:06 PM
An in-comic resolution to many of these issues would reduce the number of available plot hooks in the 'Stickverse Campaign Setting' that nobody is talking about publishing yet.

I say leave them dangling so Milton the quarter-dragon lizardfolk cleric that I just rolled up can undergo his apprenticeship with Myron before betraying him and feeding him to his one true queen after lacing the corpse with the most toxic substance known to dragons that he disguised as powdered sugar so that he is hailed as a hero by the populace and be too popular for any duly elected governmemt to ignore so he can whisper in the ears of whoever assumes control of the former Empire of Blood.

Wow, I've thought about that a bit too much. Anyway...

Campaign setting plot hooks. Let players tie up the unfinished storylines.

Ooooh! A sponsored tournament in Lake Geneva where players gather for a weekend of revelry and a 16 hour marathon where DMs are given 6-8 players and an adventure module for each of the unfinished sub-plots!

that's a cool idea, turning it into modules

gnomish dwelf
2021-12-14, 04:41 AM
And I would be astonished if we didn't, even if only in a sequel book that focuses on Western continent. There are too many loose ends up there, even if they are not relevant to the main plot now.

You've got an outstanding avatar Mister Havran

Kardwill
2021-12-17, 05:27 AM

Long term stuff like the azurites' fate sounds like something that would be brought up in the epilogue (like setting the after-adventure bar-crawl in new-and-shiny-and-20%-bluer Azure city), and not during the story itself, where it would just grind the narration to a stop.

Kardwill
2021-12-17, 05:33 AM
And I would be astonished if we didn't, even if only in a sequel book that focuses on Western continent. There are too many loose ends up there, even if they are not relevant to the main plot now.

If we ever get back to the western continent, my money would be on "after Tarkin has been defeated by another hero or villain". Getting defeated offscreen by a b-ranker nobody is interested about would be a nice "screw you" for Tarkin

Emanick
2021-12-17, 06:54 AM
If we ever get back to the western continent, my money would be on "after Tarkin has been defeated by another hero or villain". Getting defeated offscreen by a b-ranker nobody is interested about would be a nice "screw you" for Tarkin

I think this is a pretty good bet. We might see Tarquin again, but if so, he’ll probably be in jail or something, raging impotently about how this is a terrible story while somebody else deadpans about how they already did this bit and how, for somebody who prides himself on his mastery of narrative conventions, he’s being awfully redundant.

BaronOfHell
2021-12-17, 12:09 PM
And the whole point of Tarquin is that he'd fall off-screen because if he's relevant, he wins, but if he's a mere footnote, he loses.

Says Tarquin, but that doesn't mean it is wrong to defeat him. I believe e.g. Roy would care much more about the people Tarquin oppress than Tarquin's own measure of success.

Elan is afraid that not considering how to defeat his father will make Tarquin inspire other future villains, and Tarquin calls that a win. In fact Tarquin claims to already have won since he has been sitting on the throne, comfortably, for years.

If any of this has anything to do with Tarquin's true intentions, I don't know, for a man who has already won he fell apart surprisingly easy when he couldn't get the extra sprinkles.

All in all I don't believe there was much, if anything, Tarquin could do to be anything, but a speed-bump for the Order, but that was because of the priorities the Order decided for themselves (like saving the world here and now is more relevant than dethroning an evil warlord), not because of anything Tarquin said.
Hence when the world is safe, I don't see anything preventing the Order to return and oppose Tarquin & co.

I would be astonished if we saw Tarquin again. The conclusion to the Empire of Blood arc established that Tarquin isn't part of Elan's story and he's not relevant to the comic's narrative. Having the comic show what's going on with Tarquin or the efforts to overthrow him would invalidate that conclusion, and I can't think of anything that would justify doing so.

But we did get a "snarl lashing out" type of cliffhanger: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html

I think that Tarquin himself admitted to have been foiled by Scoundrel before, who in my opinion is pretty much a b(or even c)-lister in this story.

InvisibleBison
2021-12-17, 01:20 PM
But we did get a "snarl lashing out" type of cliffhanger: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html

The point of that scene was to illustrate to the reader that Roy is correct when he says that the Order doesn't know what's going on anymore. The payoff for that scene will come when the Order finds the truth about what's going on with the Snarl, not when the narrative follows up on what happened to Laurin and Miron after the Snarl jumped them.

Sir_Norbert
2021-12-17, 02:36 PM
Why can't it be both? Of course the main function of that scene was to heighten our uncertainty about the Snarl. But that could have been done just by showing the Snarl poking out of the rift; the scene didn't have to include Miron or Laurin at all. The reason it did include them is that Rich is a skilled enough storycrafter to know that (1) readers would already be interested in what happens to them after the conclusion of the "Order visits the Empire of Blood" arc; (2) that showing them and increasing our uncertainty as to their fates would leave us even more curious and invested in waiting until we find out more.

Tarquin isn't going to be part of the main storyline any more; he was an arc villain and his arc is over. But the whole idea that we can't see him again because that would somehow prove him right is only possible to believe if you buy into his whole notion that stories are more important than people's lives. And the whole point of the ending of BRitF was to prove that idea wrong.

Mike Havran
2021-12-18, 04:44 AM
Not to mention Tarquin dying off screen (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeverFoundTheBody)or being thrown into jail (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CardboardPrison) is precisely the sort of a fate he would not mind too much, I believe.

Bacon Elemental
2021-12-18, 10:27 AM
Why can't it be both? Of course the main function of that scene was to heighten our uncertainty about the Snarl. But that could have been done just by showing the Snarl poking out of the rift; the scene didn't have to include Miron or Laurin at all. The reason it did include them is that Rich is a skilled enough storycrafter to know that (1) readers would already be interested in what happens to them after the conclusion of the "Order visits the Empire of Blood" arc; (2) that showing them and increasing our uncertainty as to their fates would leave us even more curious and invested in waiting until we find out more.

Tarquin isn't going to be part of the main storyline any more; he was an arc villain and his arc is over. But the whole idea that we can't see him again because that would somehow prove him right is only possible to believe if you buy into his whole notion that stories are more important than people's lives. And the whole point of the ending of BRitF was to prove that idea wrong.

1) Also they did some serious-actor exposition not possible by a random EOS soldier poking the rift, the fact she was using magic through the rift could be important to it appearing, it neatly wrapped up the favour she wanted (Rich needed to spell that one out because weirdly a lot of people thought it was sex), and 3) having two of the most powerful antagonists the order has faced in the whole comic get bushwomped by the Snarl making its first comic appearance for years at a time when the forums were still divided as to whether the snarl was real at all after the end of DStP is a hell of a way to say "****'s gonna get real"

2) Tarquin (because he thinks hes the central villain and therefore plot critical) declared that the options were "Fight me and overthrow me in a climactic duel" or "I win and continue being a tyrant". Elan, because he's busy saving the world, handed off a plan to beat him to the gang of people tarquin wronged and then left. So the third option is "Tarquin's reign of blood is ended by his scheme being dismantled off-screen and only being referenced in the epilogue". He doesn't need stage-chewing screen-time to be defeated.

However I do think you're right in that we'll see a little more of Laurin/Miron, likely a few aside/beat panels, but almost certainly not until after whatever happened to them has begun to be explained by the actual main plot.

Squire Doodad
2021-12-20, 01:49 AM
However I do think you're right in that we'll see a little more of Laurin/Miron, likely a few aside/beat panels, but almost certainly not until after whatever happened to them has begun to be explained by the actual main plot.

I, for one, am very much looking forward to the story of the Siege of Tears and the defeat of the greatest general of his time, Artificer Sir Schulterpolster.

Riftwolf
2021-12-20, 04:52 AM
I think the number of loose threads and unresolved plots make the world feel bigger than the Order's story. Unlike a lot of video games, the heroes aren't solving every dispute and scraped knee themselves, but leaving them in the hands of other people they can trust (for better or worse). Tarquins subquest is now with Ian and the resistance, the Azurites are Hinjos responsibility, the last dwarf vampire (and by extension the Godsmoot) is being dealt with by Durkons family.
The only way we'd cut back to these subplots is if they impacted the main plot (like the crushing of the resistance in Gobbotopia). For example Ian might send a message to Haley about information he's uncovered about Laurin and Mirons encounter with the Snarl. I doubt we'll ever see Tarquin in-panel again.

Ruck
2021-12-20, 07:12 AM
I think the number of loose threads and unresolved plots make the world feel bigger than the Order's story.

Agreed, and it's a pretty impressive feat given how much of the world Rich deliberately makes generic, that it still feels real and like it exists beyond the Order and their adventures.

(I was thinking about this after the "Belkar and Serini will turn out to be related" idea was floated again, because, similarly, I think that kind of "everyone is actually related in some way" writing also makes the story smaller. So I think/hope something like that does not happen.)

Hurkyl
2021-12-20, 08:24 AM
I think the number of loose threads and unresolved plots make the world feel bigger than the Order's story. Unlike a lot of video games, the heroes aren't solving every dispute and scraped knee themselves, but leaving them in the hands of other people they can trust (for better or worse). Tarquins subquest is now with Ian and the resistance, the Azurites are Hinjos responsibility, the last dwarf vampire (and by extension the Godsmoot) is being dealt with by Durkons family.
The only way we'd cut back to these subplots is if they impacted the main plot (like the crushing of the resistance in Gobbotopia). For example Ian might send a message to Haley about information he's uncovered about Laurin and Mirons encounter with the Snarl. I doubt we'll ever see Tarquin in-panel again.

Random aside: could this even be a D&D reference itself, with the DM wanting to leave enough loose threads in adventure locations, just to give them options for creating plot should the DM ever want the campaign to revisit the location, or if the PCs do so on their own?

littlebum2002
2021-12-20, 03:25 PM
On the topic of unresolved plot points, don't forget The Thing That Haley Was Going to Confess to Elan and The Thing That Roy Told His Archon to do. Both of those have to be resolved at some point.

Narrative reasons. Elan clearly gave Ian a plan in secret because he knows that , if you state your plan out loud, it always fails. We are definitely going to find out what he said to Ian before the story ends.

I think he told Ian to kill Tarquin off-screen. Being killed off-screen means you weren't important enough for your death to be shown.

Riftwolf
2021-12-20, 04:07 PM
I think he told Ian to kill Tarquin off-screen. Being killed off-screen means you weren't important enough for your death to be shown.

Trying to think of on-screen villains who get killed off-screen. Really am drawing a blank as it's not a movie-y thing to do. The only examples I can think of are from games.

Peelee
2021-12-20, 04:22 PM
Trying to think of on-screen villains who get killed off-screen. Really am drawing a blank as it's not a movie-y thing to do. The only examples I can think of are from games.

Grand Moff Tarquin. Darth Vader. The Emperor.

Ruck
2021-12-20, 08:34 PM
On the topic of unresolved plot points, don't forget The Thing That Haley Was Going to Confess to Elan and The Thing That Roy Told His Archon to do. Both of those have to be resolved at some point.

I don't think the first one is really a plot point, more a bit of trivia-- and I think it's possible that Rich addressed this? Maybe having to do with her lapsed membership in the Thieves Guild?

The second one is definitely a plot point and I expect we will find out what it is before the end.

Emanick
2021-12-20, 09:47 PM

I'm not sure any of these are particularly good examples. We see the colossal explosion of the ship Tarkin is on; showing his actual death would have been impractical, given the size of the blast, but we see the explosion he dies in, which is good enough IMO. Vader is no longer fulfilling the narrative role of a villain when he dies, so I'm not sure he counts either. And we see The Emperor thrown to his death (yes, I'm choosing to ignore Episode IX here), so we see him being killed, even if we don't actually see his body splat.

Macbeth is my go-to example of a villain who gets killed "offscreen." He is defeated in his final scene, at least narratively speaking, by Macduff, who removes the last remaining thread of hope Macbeth is clinging to by revealing that he is not "of woman born," so it's not important that we actually see the moment of Macbeth's death. In that sense he seems pretty similar to Tarquin - like Macbeth, we probably won't see Tarquin get killed on-panel, but as he's already been defeated "onscreen," the actual moment of his death is unnecessary to show.

Peelee
2021-12-20, 11:51 PM
I'm not sure any of these are particularly good examples. We see the colossal explosion of the ship Tarkin is on; showing his actual death would have been impractical, given the size of the blast, but we see the explosion he dies in, which is good enough IMO. Vader is no longer fulfilling the narrative role of a villain when he dies, so I'm not sure he counts either. And we see The Emperor thrown to his death (yes, I'm choosing to ignore Episode IX here), so we see him being killed, even if we don't actually see his body splat.
How familiar are you with the character of Murdoc in Richard Dean Anderson's MacGuyver? Because we saw the explosion he died in/him being thrown to his death every other episode, and yet he always came back.:smallamused:

brian 333
2021-12-21, 12:11 AM
The biggest dangling plot thread is whether or not the dirt farmers reconciled.

Fyraltari
2021-12-21, 02:01 AM

We may not see Tarkin's dead body, but we doo see his ship explode. Vader expires on-screen in Luke's hands and the Emperor explodes on-screen while going down the shaft.

Off-screen deaths are more for minor villains. And I think it's more common for literary villains, since the difference between the narrator telling us their death and a character telling us of their death is less pronounced than in a movie. Half the conspirators in Dune Messiah are executed between the last two chapters, for example.

Still, I don't think that's what Elan told Ian because it wouldn't help him at all. One, it still lacks the bit on how to defeat Tarquin, which is what Ian needs. And Two, Ian & Co don't care for the narrative structure of The Order of the Stick and Tarquin's role in it, as far as they are concerned, he is the main villain.

Peelee
2021-12-21, 02:35 AM
the Emperor explodes on-screen while going down the shaft.
The Emperor falls out of visibility. We then see an explosion. We then see the Death Star explode. We then turn the TV on to MacGuyver and watch as Murdoc is shockingly behind the goings-on this week and think nothing of it.:smalltongue:

Raimun
2021-12-21, 04:56 AM
At the moment, the "incomplete" plotlines all have a stable status quo. Except, of course, stuff like Redcloak and Xykon's phylactery, which obviously have only been set up and it's not yet time to resolve them.

For example, azurites are now inhabiting an old elven island with plenty of resources. I suppose this could be the last mention of the azurites in the comic. The story is about The Order of the Stick, not azurites. The world is a living place and nothing ever ends: when the story is over, it doesn't (probably) mean the world ends.

However, I wouldn't be too surprised if we got to see, for example, azurites again. I mean, who knows? Significant changes don't always need lots of screen time. Maybe after The Order stops Xykon, we see an epilogue with a panel (or two) where victorious Hinjo reconquers Azure City from the goblins? Or we see how he now leads content azurites in their new island and is maybe even planning expanding their territories?

I think any of the "incomplete" plotlines could be resolved similarly.

Ruck
2021-12-21, 05:02 AM

Douglas Neidermeyer?

brian 333
2021-12-21, 08:44 AM
Getting killed off-screen is generally a way to leave open the possibility of the character's return. Except in OotS where characters killed on-page can be raised. Or made into undead. Or constructs.

Crusher
2021-12-21, 12:29 PM
Douglas Neidermeyer?

Hah. Yes, we assume the narrator is providing accurate information. Which might be a mistake. Is it *really* likely that Blutarsky becomes a Senator? Maybe so.

Peelee
2021-12-21, 12:45 PM
Douglas Neidermeyer?

NEIDERMEYER!

Hah. Yes, we assume the narrator is providing accurate information. Which might be a mistake. Is it *really* likely that Blutarsky becomes a Senator? Maybe so.

Frankly, Neidermeyer's and Blutarsky's endings were the most believable parts.

Ruck
2021-12-21, 04:16 PM

Frankly, Neidermeyer's and Blutarsky's endings were the most believable parts.

Yes, absolutely.

The fates of the Deltas is a great joke about the broader idea at play, too; that for all their rebel posturing and fighting The Man, they are really cut from the same coddled rich white kid cloth as the Omegas, and all of this is meaningless because they'll end up in the cushy careers and lives their privilege affords them, same as the people they're fighting, once it's all said and done.

BaronOfHell
2021-12-21, 05:21 PM

To me, that just doesn't sound like Elan.