PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Acolyte of the Skin, how to make it good enough?

Mordante
2021-12-13, 03:13 AM
I'm playing a Warlock in a 3.5 campaign. We started at level 1 and are currently level 3. My DM allowed me to use Eldritch Claw Feat with Willing Deformity Claws. Adding the EB damage to my claw damage.

I was looking at the Acolyte of the Skin PrC thematically I really like it. But the PrC really sucks hard. How can I rewrite it in a a way that would be acceptable to a DM? I would like to keep full EB and invocation progression. Things I would like to drop from the PrC would be:

poison
Flame resistant
Fiendish glare
Cold resistant
Glare of the pit
Summon fiend

Increase the BAB and give a lesser aura of xxxxx (an energy fitting to the theme) at lvl 3 and a greater aura of xxxx at lvl 7? Also increase the natural armor a bit so that you end up with a natural armor AC 3 at level 10. Was also thinking of giving a -4 diplomacy and -4 disguise because the skin of the acolyte is visibly not humanoid.

However I never attempted to rewrite an PrC so I might have gone over the top. Going OP is easier then getting things balanced.

Gruftzwerg
2021-12-13, 03:31 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just pick other prc and refluff em? Much less hassle and less work and less DM fiat^^
Or is there any specific ability of the prc that you want to have?

Imho you seem to be building a clawlock. A good base would be monk/warlock and as prc enlightened fist since it progresses unarmed strike and your EB/invocations.

Then you take Beast Strike (feat). This lets you add your (Eldritch) Claw damage to your unarmed strike damage.
Beast Strike dmg = 2x Unarmed Strike + EB
Furter, Beast Strike enables iterative attacks.

If you are looking for some inspiration, have a look at the clawlock build in my signature.

Yogibear41
2021-12-13, 03:40 AM
There was a Q+A with the Author of the Warlock class, he said that it was his intention that things like Practiced Spellcaster should not only improve your CL for invocations/Eldritch blast, but that it should also increase your Eldritch Blast damage if you multi-classed. Using that as RAI, you will only lose out on 1 caster level as far as blast damage goes.

There are also Pathfinder feats that you can take that basically say if your prestige class lost you a caster level, this feat allows you to make that loss up on a 1 for 1 basis.

Mordante
2021-12-13, 04:16 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just pick other prc and refluff em? Much less hassle and less work and less DM fiat^^
Or is there any specific ability of the prc that you want to have?

Imho you seem to be building a clawlock. A good base would be monk/warlock and as prc enlightened fist since it progresses unarmed strike and your EB/invocations.

Then you take Beast Strike (feat). This lets you add your (Eldritch) Claw damage to your unarmed strike damage.
Beast Strike dmg = 2x Unarmed Strike + EB
Furter, Beast Strike enables iterative attacks.

If you are looking for some inspiration, have a look at the clawlock build in my signature.

The best strike seems like a good option. Not sure about the monk. it really doesn't fit my character. We started at level 1 and the background story is very much Warlock only. We are playing an evil campaign and it would fil my character to wear the skin of a devil. I just really like the fluff.

In the end I will go for hellfire warlock.