PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making Demiplane cool?

H_H_F_F
2021-12-13, 06:42 AM
Demiplane is one of the coolest spells out there. Well, the idea of it is. In actuality, it is a small storage/hiding place that can be abused in a couple of small ways. Pretty good spell, the issue isn't power really. It's just... boring.

Would there be any real balance issues with getting rid of the spacial and material limitations? Just making it an actual private plane?

It seems to me that no game issues arise if I let a player's demiplane be a lush forest of impossible trees, a castle flying in endless starry skies, a non-Euclidean library defying reason, etc etc. It's still one action, it's still one hour.

If we really want to play it safe: "No items or materials originating in the demiplane can be taken out of the demiplane or used as spell components".

Am I missing any mechanical reason for WoTC deciding it's a small stone room?

kazaryu
2021-12-13, 06:59 AM
Demiplane is one of the coolest spells out there. Well, the idea of it is. In actuality, it is a small storage/hiding place that can be abused in a couple of small ways. Pretty good spell, the issue isn't power really. It's just... boring.

Would there be any real balance issues with getting rid of the spacial and material limitations? Just making it an actual private plane?

It seems to me that no game issues arise if I let a player's demiplane be a lush forest of impossible trees, a castle flying in endless starry skies, a non-Euclidean library defying reason, etc etc. It's still one action, it's still one hour.

If we really want to play it safe: "No items or materials originating in the demiplane can be taken out of the demiplane or used as spell components".

Am I missing any mechanical reason for WoTC deciding it's a small stone room?

i mean, the biggest thing i can think of that size affects is 1. it limits the players ability to create an unreachable base of operations. and 2. limits the storage space that players have in there. both of which could cause problems if left rampant, or you're playing with wangrods. but overall its probably not that big of a deal. you could even look at the pathfinder version of demiplane (it has 3 tiers) for ideas of what to allow and not to allow.