PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle notes for large dungeons?

Sir-Carlos
2021-12-13, 07:06 AM
For example a level of DotMM. I made general notes about story-elements, important npcs and I prepared the monster stat blocks. But how do I go about making notes for the individual rooms? Making notes for every single room seems a bit pointless, because the book basically already does that. Do I only make notes for the big and story-relevant rooms, and for the rest, I just read it from the book when the time comes? Any tips? 🙂

Unoriginal
2021-12-13, 07:30 AM
For example a level of DotMM. I made general notes about story-elements, important npcs and I prepared the monster stat blocks. But how do I go about making notes for the individual rooms? Making notes for every single room seems a bit pointless, because the book basically already does that. Do I only make notes for the big and story-relevant rooms, and for the rest, I just read it from the book when the time comes? Any tips? 🙂

Notes are only for when you want additional info written down because you think what's here is not enough/you won't remember X detail when DMing.

If the book does enough for you in a section, you don't need notes for this section. Adding notes you don't need makes things harder to prep and to DM, not easier.

dafrca
2021-12-13, 11:05 AM
Notes are only for when you want additional info written down because you think what's here is not enough/you won't remember X detail when DMing.

If the book does enough for you in a section, you don't need notes for this section. Adding notes you don't need makes things harder to prep and to DM, not easier.

I agree with this for the most part. I do sometimes put small "arrow post-its" when I want to have a detail handy and not have to slow down to "find it" on the page during the game.

Kurt Kurageous
2021-12-13, 11:45 AM
On all dungeons, I try to note which monsters will hear the sounds of violence at various locations and come looking for a fight. My note might also include a short list of monsters in each room written large enough that I can see it and gauge when the party is approaching what the monsters think of as "their" territory.

I've never done this, but micro post-its (blank "sign here" types) might be useful as the monsters can be moved by me on my map.

dafrca
2021-12-13, 02:40 PM
I've never done this, but micro post-its (blank "sign here" types) might be useful as the monsters can be moved by me on my map.
They make one that has an arrow point and is just blank. Makes a great tool for stuff just like that.

Not saying you have to buy them from here, just to show the pictures:

https://www.staples.com/Post-it-Arrow-Flags-Assorted-Colors-1-2-100-Flags-Pack-684ARR2/product_379415

Joe the Rat
2021-12-13, 04:15 PM
My notes are typically the things I've changed, and the things I forget. Elsewise I use what is printed.

Having an index card with General Atmosphere (lighting, sounds, smells, walls & flora, etc.) that describes a level or section is handy. That's the stuff I forget most often.
Anything you check on a regular basis (encounters, environmental toxicity, random effects) should be separate - a scan or recopy of the relevant pages should suffice.

Sir-Carlos
2021-12-13, 05:35 PM
Thank you all so much! There is some great advice here 😁

Magicspook
2021-12-14, 02:10 AM
I mostly just put it in my head and change where I feel is appropriate (NB: I only run homebrew dungeons). The only exception is stuff I want set in stone before the session (trap DCs, detection conditions etc).