PDA

View Full Version : Golem Armor

StickMan
2007-11-20, 12:36 AM
This armor is based off the Hydraulic Armor of Dragon Mech:

The King had not seen his three heads of research in 3 weeks the three of them had riped him out of bed. He tried to get dressed but the bloody Dwarf,Barendd Gorunn, basic threw him out of his bed room. It did not help that Enialis had not said a word but then the elf never did. The most distressing was the fact that he knew that Dimble kept going from Gnomish
and basic as he tried to explain what they had build and quite frankly the king was not awake enough to translate.

"...so the power source is an stone that produces lightning that the Orcs showed me, enchanted by a minor boosting enchantment Enilis Developed..."

The king finally walked in to the workshop and saw the largest suit of Armor he had ever seen.

"Didn't we rule out Golems as they would cost to much to build"

Dimble just shoot the king a deadly look "Have you not been listening at all, its not a golem..." Just before finishing his statement. The Armor spoke

"Its armor Dad, bloody armor" Suddenly the back of it opened up the King's daughter stepped out "and its going to win us this blasted war!"

Armor
{table=head]Golem Armor| Cost | Armor Bonus| Max Dex| Armor Penalty| Arcane spell failure|Speed 30/20| Weight

Golem Armor|
You tell me |
+10|
+2*|
-8|50%|25/15|300lb.
[/table]
*See description

Golem Armor: This large, 8 foot tall suit of armor is a true testament to what can happen when people come together. Only Dwarfs could make the plate that cover the suit, only the Gnomes is mechanics could move such a large suit, with out the natural thunderstone there would not be a practical way to power the thing, and even then they needed a boost from Elven magic.
Golem Armor gives the ultimate protection with out reducing speed significantly while boosting the wears strength.
-Strength Boost: Golem Armor boosts the wears strength by +4, but does not stack with other bonuses once the wears strength score reaches 20. After that point the Hydraulics can not boost the wears strength any further.
-Dexterity Penalty: Golem Armor moves quite well but it still restricts the movement of all but the most graceful charters. While wearing Golem Armor your effective Dexterity score is reduced by -4, this penalty can not reduce the wears Dexterity to less than 10.
-Powerful build: While wearing Golem Armor, Powerful Build.
-Air filter: As long as the helmet is on and the visor closed, the wearer receives a +4 bonus to saves against any kind of gas or airborne poison.
-Visor shades: The visor darkens rapidly in response to bright light. While the visor is down, the wearer receives a +4 bonus to saves against blindness. The Wearer also gains a +2 on saves against gaze attacks.
-Slam attack. The heavy fists of the armor can be used to make slam attacks. The wearer is never considered unarmed. He can make a slam attack at his usual base attack bonus, damage 1d6 plus this strength modifier.
-Stability: The heavy, Grounded nature of Golem Armor grants the Wearer a +4 bonus to defending against bull rushes (as if he were unusually stable).
-Jumping: The Armors Hydraulics help the wearer Jump, off setting its penalty to jump.

So yea I'm trying to figure out how much to price the thing, remember it does not use any high level magic or enchantment to make and requires a feat slot after heavy armor to use.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-20, 12:56 AM
First off, you might want to change the name. The SRD lists an epic artifact (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/artifacts.htm#golemArmor) with the same name (don't worry--about the only thing it's got in common with yours is the size and strength boost).

As for cost, that'll be difficult to estimate without knowing the AC bonus.

When I read the story, I thought one word: Chimarvarmidum.

wadledo
2007-11-20, 12:58 AM
Ninjad, and AC bonus is +10.
Ummmmmmm......... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/artifacts.htm#golemArmor)
That aside, exotic I'm guessing, and maybe raise spell fail to 75%, just for the look of it.
Also very similar to Mountain Plate, so you should consider

Movement – base 30’ becomes 15’ & base 20’ becomes 10’, plus cannot Run. Reduction in movement even applies to Dwarves.
though you might cut out the run thing.
Other than my nit-pics, I'd say 18,300, masterwork already fixed in, and an increase in any magical enhancements costs.
My opinion at least.

Edit: Also, any character with 20 Str will have a medium load with this, unless Powerful build effects carrying capacity.

levi
2007-11-20, 06:12 AM
In Iron Kingdoms, they have steam armor, which is pretty similar in concept to what you've got here. Mechanically it's somewhat differnent however. They have two types Light, which is somewhat like normal armor, and Heavy, which makes it as though you where a large creature.

The armors have thier own hit points, a speed of 20 feet, 100% arcane spell failure, grant a +8 armor bonus, have a max dex mod of +0, and thier own Str score. Light costs 8,000 gp to build and Heavy costs 12,000 gp. Market prices would be twice that. They also have lots of add ons one can buy, such as additional armor bonus, increased speed, gas mask, aqualung, etc.

Given that your golem armor is in some ways worse and in some ways better, I'd guess that the price should be around the same. Averaging the two types gives a build cost of 10,000 gp and a market price of 20,000 gp.

What do you think of that?

Edit: You forgot the armor check penalty. The IK steam armors are -4 and -6.

DracoDei
2007-11-20, 08:04 AM
Also very similar to Mountain Plate, so you should consider <Reduced Movement Speeds Even For Dwarves>

though you might cut out the run thing.

I think the movement speeds are fine where they stand. It is specifically part of the nature of the armor that it helps with movement speed compared to Heavy Armor, but perhaps the clause about Dwarves is good. The big drawback I see to this thing is that it is the Dex penalty and the fact that it requires an extra Feat. Other than that I am seeing the equivalent to a +2 untyped bonus to AC, some miscellaneous bonuses against various attack forms.

What sort of an action is it to open/close the visor? This becomes important for potions etc. (but see my comments about optional features below).

One benefit that is implied in the fluff and should not be overlooked (and should be stated in the crunch) is that apparently it is a full-round action OR LESS to get out of this thing and it almost certainly requires no assistance to don and that probably wouldn't take more than 2 full round actions. This means that if the party skill-monkey takes some Con damage and the party doesn't have the resources to fix it right then you can swap him into this armor when combat seems likely and have him/her pop out when you need a lock opened or whatnot.

Questions: How long do the "Batteries" last on this thing? Centuries? Hours of actual use? If they would require replacement/recharge how much does that cost?

Suggestions for the first upgrades/enchantments I would put on this thing if I had a character with it:
"Endure Elements" - Something this heavy, I don't want to be tempted to pop out of it every time things get to a lull just because it gets a little warm (like 100 degrees and humid from trapped sweat warm...) in the sunshine. You might even want to make this standard even on the "basic model" or at least explicitly state the cost of adding it in...

"Straws" - For water and potions, preferable something that won't leak (requires some suction to get started mechanically, wax seal on the end I can bite off in the case of potions, or magic). If I have to go prone for stealth (yeah, I know it seems like a joke in this thing, but in some cases that is the difference between blindingly obvious and total cover) this way I rarely have to pop the visor, especially not in combat.

"Enchantment Bonuses" - Obviously.

StickMan
2007-11-20, 09:47 AM
As for cost, that'll be difficult to estimate without knowing the AC bonus.

+10 Armor Bonus its on the table.
Also what is Chimarvarmidum.

Also very similar to Mountain Plate, so you should consider
Unlike Mountain Plate (which I general find to be a crummy use of a feat),this armor has Hydraulic and mechanical systems to help move it.

Other than my nit-pics, I'd say 18,300, masterwork already fixed in, and an increase in any magical enhancements costs.
My opinion at least.
I think your right about Masterwork all ready being fixed in for sure I don' see a cheap version of this armor running around.

Edit: Also, any character with 20 Str will have a medium load with this, unless Powerful build effects carrying capacity.
Right sorry need to fix that the armor effectively cares it self because of the Hydraulics reducing the effect weight on the wearer by 1/10th.

Edit: You forgot the armor check penalty. The IK steam armors are -4 and -6.
-8 Armor check penalty. Can no one see the table that I made?

I think the movement speeds are fine where they stand. It is specifically part of the nature of the armor that it helps with movement speed compared to Heavy Armor, but perhaps the clause about Dwarves is good. The big drawback I see to this thing is that it is the Dex penalty and the fact that it requires an extra Feat. Other than that I am
seeing the equivalent to a +2 untyped bonus to AC, some miscellaneous bonuses against various attack forms.
I think the only real drawback is the Feat honestly, cause the Dexterity penalty can not reduce your dex score to less that 10.
What is the +2 untyped bonus to AC I don't quite know what your talking about there?

What sort of an action is it to open/close the visor? This becomes important for potions etc. (but see my comments about optional features below).
I'm thinking it should be a Move action, Small Hydraulics should not make it to hard after all.

One benefit that is implied in the fluff and should not be overlooked (and should be stated in the crunch) is that apparently it is a full-round action OR LESS to get out of this thing and it almost certainly requires no assistance to don and that probably wouldn't take more than 2 full round actions. This means that if the party skill-monkey takes some Con damage and the party doesn't have the resources to fix it right then you can swap him into this armor when combat seems likely and have him/her pop out when you need a lock opened or whatnot.
I'm still thinking about this one, I'm thinking it should take about 5-10 rounds to get out of armor, what can I say the fluff is fluffy.

Questions: How long do the "Batteries" last on this thing? Centuries? Hours of actual use? If they would require replacement/recharge how much does that cost?
I've not nailed that down yet but long enough that you don't have to worry about it. Its not a permanent enchantment just a long term spell.

"Endure Elements" - Something this heavy, I don't want to be tempted to pop out of it every time things get to a lull just because it gets a little warm (like 100 degrees and humid from trapped sweat warm...) in the sunshine. You might even want to make this standard even on the "basic model" or at least explicitly state the cost of adding it in...
I was thinking about adding small amounts that metal from Frost fell book that is always cold.

"Enchantment Bonuses" - Obviously.
The armor is enchanted normally.

Now for more fluff on the setting as it is very called for:
This armor is not for a normal DND game, its been built in a Kingdom that survived for three reasons. 1 when the Abyss fused with the material plane the dragons managed to seal the rift in the area of the kingdom before to many Demons could get through (There are good reasons this kingdom got special protection, but thats a long story). 2. This Kingdom has tremendous natural remorses of an exotic nature because it boarders with the elemental planes is weak. (This plane has low planar boundary's). 3. natural mountain range encircles most of the kingdom.

So in short the plane has been taken over by Demons and the last safe haven of civilization is this kingdom which is now home to a Alliance of Humans, Dwarfs, Elfs, Halflings, Gnomes, Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Kobolds, Lizard Folk and others working to take back there home plane. This non-magical armor is one of the results of all of these races working together and contributing to the cause to take back there home.

Other notes its a Gestalt game and most NPC are going to be level 3 by the time they are 16, kids have been train scene they were kids to fight this war.

It took 23 years to drive the demons out of our kingdom, 38 to secure our boarders, another 25 to build our forces and weapon. We could never have done it as individuals, together we have built things we never though possible. Now it is time, now we take back our world!

King Leonightus before his army

DracoDei
2007-11-20, 10:23 AM
I think the only real drawback is the Feat honestly, cause the Dexterity penalty can not reduce your dex score to less that 10.
Yeah, but then you aren't maxing out the Dex. Bonus on the armor... I guess it really varies... but even standard full-plate allows a +1, thus rewarding a slightly higher dex for the wearer... this, there is no difference between a 10 and a 15...
I am just going over the details...

What is the +2 untyped bonus to AC I don't quite know what your talking about there?

Was just referring to an equivalent way of expressing the fact that the armor bonus is 2 points higher than full plate.

StickMan
2007-11-20, 04:57 PM
Yeah, but then you aren't maxing out the Dex. Bonus on the armor... I guess it really varies... bue even standard full-plate allows a +1, thus rewarding a slightly higher dex for the wearer... this, there is no difference between a 10 and a 15...
I am just going over the details...

Was just referring to an equivalent way of expressing the fact that the armor bonus is 2 points higher than full plate.

Thanks for clarifying for me that helps a lot. You do have a point with the Dex thing now that I think about it.

Jasdoif
2007-11-20, 06:08 PM
Also what is Chimarvarmidum.It's a story in one of the books in Morrowind (and incidentally the same thing I thought of when I saw the thread title).

To cut out the story bits, the elves in the story didn't have any knowledge of heavy armor whatsoever, and so what they thought was a golem given as a gift from a rival tribe, was in fact another elf (from the same rival tribe) wearing heavy armor.

StickMan
2007-11-21, 03:11 PM
I'm thinking about adding DR 2/Bludgeoning because of how heavy they are and I don't think Slashing and Piercing weapons will hurt it as much. I was also thinking that Admantium should grant DR4/- Because once again this armor is super heavy. It would also cost a lot more to make out of Admantium that heavy armor so I think the cost would off set that but I was thinking may be it should stack with DR2/Bludgeoning.

I'm thinking the Adamantine version should cost 20,000 GP extra and a Mithral version of Armor should cost 15,000 GP an also reduce the -4 to dex to a -2.

StickMan
2007-11-23, 10:50 PM
I think I'm going to add a system that allows for you to have 4 armor up grades.

Adamantine: Cost per up grade: 5,000 GP
1. DR 1/-, +2 hardness
2. DR 2/-, +5 Hardness
3. DR 3/-, +8 Hardness
4. DR 4/-, +10 Hardness

Mithral: Cost Per up Grade: 3,750 GP
1: +0 Max Dex, +1 Armors Dex penalty, +1 Armor check Penalty.
2: +1 Max Dex, +1 Armor Dex penalty, +1 Armor check Penalty.
3: +1 Max Dex, +2 Armor Dex Penalty, +2 Armor Check Penalty.
4: +2 Max Dex, +2 Armor Dex Penalty, + 3 Armor Check Penalty.

Dragon Blood Alloy: I'm thinking about 2,500 GP an upgrade.
1: +1 On Saves against magical effects, Reduced spell Failure 5%. Each round the armor displaces the first 5 points of energy damage.
2: +2 On Saves against magical effects, Reduced spell Failure 10%. Each round the armor displaces the first 10 points of energy damage.
3: +3 On Saves against magical effects, Reduced spell Failure 15%. Each round the armor displaces the first 15 points of energy damage.
4: +4 On Saves against magical effects, Reduced Spell Failure 20%. Each round the armor displaces the first 20 points of energy damage.
That needs better wording but I'm not sure how to put it.

Just what I'm thinking now.

Sir Conkey
2007-11-24, 03:45 PM
Hehe, wacky mages guild antics

DracoDei
2007-11-24, 04:23 PM
Dragon's Blood Alloy looks pretty cheap for the Energy Resistance and Spell Protection it provides... much cheaper than a cloak of resistance and a resistance item to a SINGLE element I think. Granted spells aren't the ONLY thing you make saves against, but at higher levels they are the most common thing (at least if SLAs are included in with spells, which, for fighting against demons I would hope they would be). Bump it up... way up I think. Maybe even make it non-linear.