PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Path of the Mage Barbarian

Nerdguy88
2021-12-14, 12:37 PM
The other day I came across a spellcasting barbarian homebrew. It seemed pretty solid and my DM was into the idea. Here is a link to it.

TLDR: The class gives "spells" that aren't really spells while raging. IE Counterspell is just you throwing something at a spellcaster as a reaction to cause a concentration check to cast a spell.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/olm43t/path_of_mage_play_as_the_strongest_spellcaster/

I'm getting my next character ready because I think I am going to die soon in our current campaign. I'm thinking about using custom lineage for the stats and feat. We would be starting at 4th level so I would have a total of two feats to use. I also get to start with one uncommon or less magic item. Any suggestions on feats and equipment are appreciated!

Nerdguy88
2021-12-14, 05:52 PM
A few thoughts on feats

Warcaster - Now I can cast fireball as a reaction!

Flames Of Phlegethos - I get to be on fire after I cast my fireball!

Elemental Adept - Ignore their fire resistance as you jump at them with fireball!

Psyren
2021-12-14, 06:00 PM
IE Counterspell is just you throwing something at a spellcaster as a reaction to cause a concentration check to cast a spell.

What about spells that don't require concentration?

Nerdguy88
2021-12-14, 08:47 PM
What about spells that don't require concentration?

The Counterspel ability says if you do more damage then the spell level they make a concentration check like it was a concentration spell and on a failed check the spell fails.

Chaos Jackal
2021-12-15, 04:06 AM
A few thoughts on feats

Warcaster - Now I can cast fireball as a reaction!

Flames Of Phlegethos - I get to be on fire after I cast my fireball!

Elemental Adept - Ignore their fire resistance as you jump at them with fireball!

Assuming the "subclass" is taken seriously, none of these would work, because the character isn't casting spells.

Nerdguy88
2021-12-15, 10:43 AM
Assuming the "subclass" is taken seriously, none of these would work, because the character isn't casting spells.

As serious as a heart attack! I brought up the feats to the DM and he said they would be fine. I don't really see any of them breaking the game and he agreed it would be hilarious for a character.