PDA

View Full Version : Not with a bang, but my whisper. The Logothromos - PEACHes!

AstralFire
2007-11-20, 01:12 AM
Also available in PDF format. Click here. (http://theanteheroes.com/Ashbane/Logothronos.pdf)

LOGOTHRONOS

Heavenly chords and deathly wails...
Mine are the words of death and life.
This is the way the world ends:
Not with a bang, but my whisper.
- Eilonwy-of-the-Harp

http://theanteheroes.com/Ashbane/MineAreTheWordsSmall.png

The Words of Creation - a celestial language woven of the purest, most indescribable joys. The Dark Speech - a vile uttering scratched out from the mouths of the Abyss. Few mortals can even learn but a few syllables of either, and it was thought inconceivable that a one could learn both. But where there is a will, there is a way... Those who are dissatisfied with the limits of mortal speech have pushed themselves to master words without limits, transcending their shells in the process.

Hit Die: d6

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a Logothronos, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any good or evil.
Abilities: Int 15+, Cha 15+, Wis 15+
Base Will Save: 5+
Feats: Words of Creation or Dark Speech
Skills: Perform (any) 15 ranks // Perform and Linguistics as Trained Skills
Languages: Must know at least 8 different languages, including Celestial, Abyssal, Infernal, Ignan, Aquan, Terran, and Auran.
Spells: Able to spontaneously cast spells with a Verbal component.
Special: Bardic Music class ability.

SECR Skills:
The Logothronos' class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Endurance (Con), Focus (Wis), Initiative (Dex), Knowledge (Int), Linguistics (Int), Perform (Cha), Perception (Wis), Persuasion (Cha), Spellcraft (Int), and Stealth (Dex).

D&D 3.5 Skills:
The Logothronos' class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language, and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Choral Curriculum, That Which is Heard, The Word of Knowledge|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+2|The Word of Wounds|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+2|The Word of Infinity|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Logothronos.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Logothronos do not gain any additional weapon or armor proficiency.

Spellcasting: At each level, a logothronos gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in a spontaneous spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of turning or destroying undead, metamagic or item creation feats, and so on), except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spontaneous spellcasting class before becoming a logothronos, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Choral Curriculum: The logothronos' class levels stack with his levels in whatever class granted him the Bardic Music class ability for purposes of determining both what types of Bardic Music he has access to, as well as his daily uses and the effectiveness of his Bardic Music.

That Which is Heard: The logothronos' training prepares him for the rigors of the eldritch languages, and he learns to realize the subtle parallels between the Dark Speech and the Words of Creation, finding unusual linguistic similarities between them. Upon taking his first level in this class, he gains either the Dark Speech or Word of Creation feat, whichever he did not have prior. As long as his alignment is identifiably Vile or Exalted, he is considered to qualify for both feats.

The Word of Knowledge (Su): At first level, the Logothronos rediscovers the etymology behind the words for 'knowledge' in the Dark Speech and the Words of Creation. With great care, they are able to reconstruct the root of both words, and find something even more powerful in the process, though they must call upon their supernatural training in order to master the exact pronounciation. When the Logothronos uses the Word of Knowledge, he must make a Perform check, and he may call upon it in one of two ways; by invoking a slight Celestial, Auran or Terran accent, all who can hear the Logothronos must make a Will Save equal to the result of his Perform check, or be forced to speak within his presence as if within a zone of truth. This effect lasts as long as he continues singing or speaking the Word of Knowledge.

Alternatively, by invoking an Infernal, Ignan, Abyssal, or Aquan accent, the Logothronos can force one targeted listener to make a Will Save or be afflicted with diarrhea of the mouth, regurgitating memories and knowledge at random in an awful, unearthly language which sounds like the screeching of crows - Abyssal. They are rendered unable to intelligently communicate via speech or telepathy for the next 8 hours. Any spells or spell-like abilities the victim attempts to use which have a verbal component automatically fail while this is in effect. This effect is non-mental and uncontrollable, and does not hinder their ability to concentrate - for the duration of this effect, their mouth is essentially a separate entity.

A creature affected by the latter usage, or who makes his saving throw against either usage, cannot be affected by The Word of Knowledge for another 24 hours after the effect or saving throw was made. The Word of Knowledge is spoken as a standard action, and requires two uses of your daily bardic music allotment per activation. It is an enchantment (compulsion) effect, and a mind-affecting ability.

The Word of Wounds (Su): At second level, the Logothronos rediscovers the etymology behind the words for 'Injury' in the Dark Speech and the Words of Creation. With great care, they are able to reconstruct the root of both words, and find something even more powerful in the process, though they must call upon their supernatural training in order to master the exact pronounciation.

By invoking a slight Celestial, Ignan, Terran, or Aquan accent, the Logothronos can heal allies or designated objects for a number of hitpoints equal to his ranks in Perform for every round he sings the Word of Wounds. This is not a positive energy effect, and can heal constructs or undead as a result. Creatures and objects must be within 120 ft of the Logothronos for this ability to affect them.

By invoking a slight Infernal, Abyssal, or Auran accent instead, the Logothronos can sing a discordant melody that rends the matter of those who it is directed at. Hostiles within 120 ft of the Logothronos take sonic damage equal to his ranks in Perform for every round he sings the Word of Wounds.

The Word of Wounds is spoken as a standard action, and requires two uses of your daily bardic music allotment per activation.

The Word of Infinity (Su): At third level, the Logothronos realizes that the words for oblivion and eternal life in the Dark Speech and the Word of Creation share a common root. With great care, one can use the subtle interplays and assonances between the two words to create great and varied effects. Using an Abyssal or Infernal inflection causes local planar material to rip itself in two and reform, in a burst of white cosmic flame which can leave the area barren. Everything within a 20 ft radius of the Logothronos must make a Will Save of DC (19+Charisma Mod) or be ripped asunder by greater forces, instantly being destroyed. This usage is extremely taxing for the Logothronos, and he immediately falls to -1 hit points and unconscious upon using it, even if nothing was successfully affected. The immediate area looks as though it has been affected by an antigenesis field, but this field spreads no further.

By contrast, a Celestial inflection supercharges the local reality; the Logothronos is surrounded by a 20 ft. radius field of unyielding positive energy. Within that emanation, life flourishes: colors are brighter, fires are hotter, noises are louder, and sensations are more intense. (This effect is purely sensory; game effects such as energy damage are not affected.) All living creatures within the aura, allied or hostile, are considered to be under a regeneration effect of zero; all damage taken in the field is non-lethal (unless you are somehow immune to non-lethal damage), and any magical healing received immediately restores lost limbs or body parts. Living creatures in the field cannot be reduced to -10 Hit Points, though other methods of killing them still function as normal. This effect lasts as long as the Logothronos continues to sing or chant the word, up to a maximum of one round per character level.

Finally, an Ignan, Auran, Terran or Aquan inflection when chanted on the Astral Plane creates an Elemental Demiplane corresponding to the precise accent used. You are immune to all hazardous traits of your new demiplane; others are not. Para-Elemental Demiplanes can be created via careful blending of the accents. This usage costs 5,000 XP, and has no effect outside of the Astral Plane.

The Logothronos can only use the Word of Infinity once a day. Activating is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity and requires four uses of your daily bardic music allotment.

AstralFire
2007-11-20, 09:19 PM
You have to admit the picture is nifty. I edited the picture. >_>

TheLogman
2007-11-20, 09:53 PM
Huh, I kinda saw these as a sort of anti-class to the Class in the Tome of Magic that Un-makes stuff (Based on Truespeech). Really cool class though, a Linguist that blends the Darkness and the Light, and even better, a handful of cool powers that work in different, opposite ways. P.S. you may wanna put the Pic in a spoiler, as it stretches the page in a moderately unpleasant, but not intolerable way.

AstralFire
2007-11-21, 01:55 AM
Huh, I kinda saw these as a sort of anti-class to the Class in the Tome of Magic that Un-makes stuff (Based on Truespeech). Really cool class though, a Linguist that blends the Darkness and the Light, and even better, a handful of cool powers that work in different, opposite ways. P.S. you may wanna put the Pic in a spoiler, as it stretches the page in a moderately unpleasant, but not intolerable way.

I never got around to reading Tome of Magic, I really should, one of these days...

Glad you like it, I made it in response to someone's musings on another board.

Pic is spoiler'd, it fit perfectly on my resolution, but I also have a freakishly huge res.

Nebo_
2007-11-21, 03:33 AM
I haven't read through the crunch, but the fluff is really good - the class seethes with flavour.

AstralFire
2007-11-21, 01:09 PM
I haven't read through the crunch, but the fluff is really good - the class seethes with flavour.

With stringent and precise requirements like language, it's easier to build flavor, especially for a small class. Which is the way I like to build PrCs, the type of thing you can do as a natural evolution of your character mid-campaign.

vegetalss4
2007-11-21, 02:34 PM
i like it.
but i got one question
why are perform not a class skill?

AstralFire
2007-11-21, 08:12 PM
i like it.
but i got one question
why are perform not a class skill?

That, my friend, is called 'a colossal accidental oversight.'

Fixed, thanks for the catch.