PDA

View Full Version : TV The D'Ambervilles (Mystara) vs The Mikaelsons (The Vampire Diaries, TO, and Legacies)

DarthArminius
2021-12-14, 05:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FRaWkCCkH4

The Vampire Diaries/The Originals, and Legacies have a lot of powerful characters.

Hope, Freia, Mikael, etcetera.

So does The D'Amberville family from Mystara.

Who would win in a feud between the two families?
The D'Ambervilles have a lot of magic casters and werewolves, and the Mikaelsons have a half vampire werewolf, vampires and witches. Mikaelsons one big advantage I see is the power of telekinesis, they don't need spell slots of their magic, unlike the D'Ambervilles. However, most of us know that Dungeons and Dragons magic can be very strong. Stronger in my opinion than in The Vampire Diaries, etcetera.

Dragonus45
2021-12-14, 11:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FRaWkCCkH4

The Vampire Diaries/The Originals, and Legacies have a lot of powerful characters.

Hope, Freia, Mikael, etcetera.

So does The D'Amberville family from Mystara.

Who would win in a feud between the two families?
The D'Ambervilles have a lot of magic casters and werewolves, and the Mikaelsons have a half vampire werewolf, vampires and witches. Mikaelsons one big advantage I see is the power of telekinesis, they don't need spell slots of their magic, unlike the D'Ambervilles. However, most of us know that Dungeons and Dragons magic can be very strong. Stronger in my opinion than in The Vampire Diaries, etcetera.

Funny enough I just played through Mark of Amber recently and was reminded the D'Amberville family are grossly op. Epic Level D&D characters are just gross. They may have limited use magic as opposed to the telekinesis but frankly they will be done soon.

DarthArminius
2021-12-15, 12:06 AM
Funny enough I just played through Mark of Amber recently and was reminded the D'Amberville family are grossly op. Epic Level D&D characters are just gross. They may have limited use magic as opposed to the telekinesis but frankly they will be done soon.

What do you mean? I don't know what that means? Might you mean that the telekinesis doesn't matter?

Khedrac
2021-12-15, 03:10 AM
The answer to this sort of question is always "whoever the author wants to win".
When you are comparing people who operate under completely different rule-sets it's very difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions, especially when their powers are already basically "what trhe author wants them to be" at any given time.

If you really want to pursue this then, for the D'Ambrevilles (at least) you need to define when you are talking about.

When they first appear (X2: Castle Amber) Stephen/Etienne is absent, (apparently) locked away in some sort of dimensional prison. The family, while powerful, are not very high level for where D&D was going, but in the top half of what the rules covered (Expert set so 7-12). Strong, but in no way "Epic".
When they got re-presented to the world in GAZ3: The Principalities of Glantri and the Mystara material up to but not including Wrath of the Immortals then they have some very high level characters, but are split into opposing each other in a big way. Etienne is now active at the height of his power (empyreal immortal is approx. same as low end of greater deity) but playing the grandfatherly wizard.
Post-Wrath Etienne is again off the table...
Etc.

Eldan
2021-12-15, 03:21 AM
So, not knowing very much about Vampire Diaries, but knowing quite a lot about D&D, and knowing that at least one D'Ambresville is an immortal... can their opponents do anything aganist "Wave your hand and all opponents across the continent dissolve into dust (retroactively across time if you want to be creative)" levels of magic?

Mechalich
2021-12-15, 04:14 AM
The answer to this sort of question is always "whoever the author wants to win".
When you are comparing people who operate under completely different rule-sets it's very difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions, especially when their powers are already basically "what trhe author wants them to be" at any given time.

This is particularly true in this case, since the principle variable is Hope Mikaelson, who is more powerful than all the other members of her family put together. The rest are mostly just vampires, werewolves, or vampire/werewolves who happen to have access to limited immortality and who repeatedly take losses from other vampires and werewolves in their respective series. Hope functions as a living/unliving plot device to do whatever the writers want, and 'challenge a god' is very much on that list (for, admittedly, paranormal romance values of god). So yeah, flip a coin or something.

Dragonus45
2021-12-15, 09:46 AM
What do you mean? I don't know what that means? Might you mean that the telekinesis doesn't matter?

And here we see the importance of not drinking and posting. I meant the telekinesis didn't matter because the family of Wizards would win the fight before they even ran out of half their spell slots.

DarthArminius
2021-12-15, 09:54 AM
And here we see the importance of not drinking and posting. I meant the telekinesis didn't matter because the family of Wizards would win the fight before they even ran out of half their spell slots.

Ah, I see.

This is particularly true in this case, since the principle variable is Hope Mikaelson, who is more powerful than all the other members of her family put together. The rest are mostly just vampires, werewolves, or vampire/werewolves who happen to have access to limited immortality and who repeatedly take losses from other vampires and werewolves in their respective series. Hope functions as a living/unliving plot device to do whatever the writers want, and 'challenge a god' is very much on that list (for, admittedly, paranormal romance values of god). So yeah, flip a coin or something.

Yes, there used to be dragons in TVD universe. From what I understand, the main big bad, Malivore, got rid of them all.

So, not knowing very much about Vampire Diaries, but knowing quite a lot about D&D, and knowing that at least one D'Ambresville is an immortal... can their opponents do anything aganist "Wave your hand and all opponents across the continent dissolve into dust (retroactively across time if you want to be creative)" levels of magic?

If Dahlia counts as a Mikaelson, maybe. Then again, another poster mentioned that Hope was a walking plot device.

Eldan
2021-12-15, 12:22 PM
Right. In that case, yeah, we're on the "two elemental forces of galaxy-rearranging powers clash" level of power, where it's entirely down to the writer and plot and no hard statements can be made.