PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Please Help me make a psion

Khrysaes
2021-12-15, 03:47 AM
I want to make a psionic character, but I am not sure how I want to go about it.

The only thing I know is that I kind of want the Arcane trickster + Telekinetic.

I was considering a Psi Knight + AT + Telekinetic.

Also of question

Psi Knight and Soulknife both get Psionic Energy dice.

Can I use Psi Knight abilities with the Soulknife Psionic Energy dice?

Arkhios
2021-12-15, 04:03 AM

Both subclasses have the exact same wording for the Psionic Power class feature:

You harbor a wellspring of psionic energy within yourself. This energy is represented by your Psionic Energy dice, which are each a d6. You have a number of these dice equal to twice your proficiency bonus, and they fuel various psionic powers you have, which are detailed below.

Some of your powers expend the Psionic Energy die they use, as specified in a power's description, and you can't use a power if it requires you to use a die when your dice are all expended. You regain all your expended Psionic Energy dice when you finish a long rest. In addition, as a bonus action, you can regain one expended Psionic Energy die, but you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

When you reach certain levels in this class, the size of your Psionic Energy dice increases: at 5th level (d8), 11th level (d10), and 17th level (d12).

The powers below use your Psionic Energy dice.

One could argue that they can be used to fuel any powers you might have, or that you have separate pools of psionic energy dice for both instances of Psionic Powers.

I would say the pools won't stack, and neither would the levels stack for the purpose of increasing the size of the dice, but abilities from both classes benefit from the increased size all at once. In other words, a Psi Warrior 3/Soulknife 5 would have a total of 6 dice (twice your proficiency bonus which is +3 at level 8), all of which are d8 because they have reached a certain level in soulknife, and access to both the Psi Warrior's and Soulknife's powers.

Khrysaes
2021-12-15, 04:30 AM
Okay. So I was thinking, If I want to go full at will telekinesis..

Minimum:
8 Psi Knight
7 Bladesinger
4 Arcane Trickster
1 Artificer

Via the All Purpose tools magic item, casts Eldritch Blast as an Artificer cantrip with int, but can still use repelling blast from warlock via the Eldritch adept feat
Has all the psi knight abilities that I want.
Has Mage hand at will as bonus action with extra range and the shove from telekineseis feat.

Has 3 levels to use. Probably 8/7/4/1

If I take the crusher feat and use a shillelagh(Artificer cantrip) quarterstaff
EDIT: Artificer doesn't get shillelagh.

I can attack, use crusher to move something 5 feet, move it 10 feet with Psionic Strike, cast eldritch blast with repelling blast to move something 10ft per ray, and bonus action shove 5ft with telekinesis. 60ft total.

I would have 4th level spells, like a 20th level Arcane trickster, but not as restricted in the list.
I have 5 ASI, which is what most classes get, rogue and fighter getting more.

Amnestic
2021-12-15, 06:22 AM

It's not an official ruling but Crawford has said (https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/1331690537791803394?lang=en-GB) that you cannot use one class' dice for another's abilities. Better to check with your DM first though.

Phhase
2021-12-15, 06:45 PM
Allow me to advocate for the Mystic UA, if you're allowed. It has everything you need and more. Just clear the stuff with your DM, a few of the abilities are silly and best not used.

ATHATH
2021-12-15, 07:37 PM
Aberrant Sorcerers really nail the feel of 3.5e psionics once they get their 6th level feature, if that's what you're looking for.

Melphizard
2021-12-17, 11:43 PM
Allow me to advocate for the Mystic UA, if you're allowed. It has everything you need and more. Just clear the stuff with your DM, a few of the abilities are silly and best not used.

As a DM, hearing any mention of Mystic makes my heartrate start to increase.

As for the OP's question I would suggest going for the following incredibly MAD but workable psionic build:

(Whatever subclass) Sorcerer 2, Scribe Wizard X.
Feat requirement: Metamagic Adept

With this setup you can get 4 sorcery points + Flexible casting and two metamagics, one of which should be subtle. As a Scribe Wizard, begin changing every spell you use to psychic damage and subtle them whenever you wish. With flexible casting you can change spellslots into more sorcery points, allowing for some sustain. When it comes to no gimicks just spells, there's Tasha's Mind Whip and Rathlomirs (I can never spell this correctly) Psychic Lance.

Psychic Lance is super busted and is one of my favorite spells to use in nearly any combat. If the enemy fails they take a fair amount of damage and get incapacitated until the start of your next turn. This means they drop all concentrations, whatever abilities that require them to not be incapacitated, and they lose a turn. Pretty good for a 4th level slot when you're not casting Polymorph or upcasting Mind whip. Speaking of which,

Tasha's Mind Whip is in my opinion one of the best spells in Dungeons and Dragons for a spellcaster who likes control and upcasting. It is an intelligence save, which most enemies don't have amazing odds at, and it strikes X-1 targets (X = Spell slot), allowing you to CC multiple enemies. I don't think I've gone a game where my Abjuration wizard doesn't use this, be it against numerous archers peppering my melees, forcing them to have to shoot or run before the Barbarian starts showing them how his Greataxe handle got red, or a single giant, allowing us to trap him in numerous effects.

So yeah, that's my suggestion. Hope it helps!

Kane0
2021-12-18, 04:28 AM
As a DM, hearing any mention of Mystic makes my heartrate start to increase.

Aww, it aint all that bad. It just goes in too many directions at once and needed another polish pass for the rough edges. Lock down more disciplines behind subclass and most of the more egregious problems are addressed.

Arkhios
2021-12-18, 05:43 AM
Aww, it aint all that bad. It just goes in too many directions at once and needed another polish pass for the rough edges. Lock down more disciplines behind subclass and most of the more egregious problems are addressed.

Y'know, that's not a half-bad suggestion.

TaiLiu
2021-12-19, 01:00 AM
I like the suggestion of Sorcerer (Aberrant Mind). If you want to play more of a Wilder-type character, a Sorcerer (Wild Magic) with the Telekinetic feat would play pretty well. Some of the results of the wild magic table augment your magic and therefore sort of mimic wild surges. Just pick up the Subtle Spell metamagic option to complete that psionic feel.

Phhase
2021-12-20, 12:19 PM

Truly, it really isn't. There's like, one or two bad egg disciplines and the rest can be taken care of with some trimming, as per the quote. It gets a bad rap.