PDA

View Full Version : Buffs that Fatigue/Exhaust

Wildstag
2021-12-15, 12:50 PM
So now that a related cooking challenge is complete, I have a question for the forum.

How many buffs are there that leave the player character fatigued or exhausted afterwards? And as a related question, how many ways are there to become immune to fatigue and/or exhaustion?

I know standard ones like Rage, and I'm aware of the Dervish's dance which also fatigues. What other options are there that provide benefits or buffs to abilities that a PrC like the Peregrine Runner (with its eventual fatigue or exhaustion immunity) can take advantage of? Are there any spells, Incarnum, maneuvers, etc.?

P.S. In the interest of easier logging, let's go with a list

Source - Option
PHB - Barbarian Rage
CW - Dervish
Mag - Spelldance

Rebel7284
2021-12-15, 01:00 PM
Spelldancer comes to mind. Free metamagic is nice, especially if it's Persistent Spell. :smallbiggrin:

Railak
2021-12-17, 06:59 AM
There's a regional feat for some races, called Tireless in 3.5 that steps fatigue/exhaustion down a step. You're effectively immune to any effect that just makes you fatigued, and any effect that would make you exhausted instead makes to fatigued. You can never be exhausted.

loky1109
2021-12-17, 10:32 AM
There are some fly methods, which ended with fatigue.

Feldar
2021-12-17, 11:10 AM
Snowflake Wardance.

Going to add that in my game if you intentionally inflict a condition on yourself as a result of some action you take, immunity does not apply -- if you don't get the condition, you don't get the benefit.

Saintheart
2021-12-17, 11:20 AM
Berronar Valkyrie - Champions of Valor - binding oath
Rage Mage - CWar - Spell Rage
Chaotician - Pl.Handbook - Anarchic Grace
Wing Expert - feat - RoTD
Unfettered Heroism - Spell - RoE
Cumbrous Dodge - feat - SS
Hoard Life - Spell - RoTD
Investiture of the X - various line of buff spells relating to devils, all impose fatigued condition after spell ends - FC 2
Snowflake Wardance - feat - FBurn
False Bravado - Spell - MoTW - not really meant as a buff though
Broken One's Sacrifice - feat - CoV
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful - spell - SpC
Elemental Scion of Zilargo - MoE - Grow Elemental

Wildstag
2021-12-17, 01:56 PM
I'm torn between asking if you have pdfs that can actually search documents for words and thanking you, so I think I'll do both.

That's an interesting list, and of those, I think the Snowflake Wardance is the most punishing of the "give battle buff, get fatigue" options, since it lasts a flat ten minutes instead of just "until the end of the encounter". Didn't look through all of the options yet, but of the ones I've seen, that's pretty harsh.

I dunno that False Bravado really belongs on the list, but I'm sure there's some way to use it that aids the player characters. Is there some "Contrary"-like ability in D&D 3.5?

Saintheart
2021-12-17, 10:07 PM
I'm torn between asking if you have pdfs that can actually search documents for words and thanking you, so I think I'll do both.

You're welcome and no. These results come from, shall we say, a place where there are lots of tools for 3.5 and which is text searchable. I just searched 'exhausted' and 'fatigued' and this was the relevant stuff that came up.

But in terms of text-searchable pdfs - there are fan-created indexes of feats, prestige classes, etc, etc out there in the wilds. The ones I've seen are missing a few books, but they're not a bad resource for short descriptions of Dragon magazine entries, which aren't well-supported at least in online content.

Jervis
2021-12-17, 10:35 PM
Snowflake Wardance.

Going to add that in my game if you intentionally inflict a condition on yourself as a result of some action you take, immunity does not apply -- if you don't get the condition, you don't get the benefit.

I prefer the reserves of strength approach. If you’re immune to the thing it does then you just take damage. Damage depends on the thing you did. Not raw for most cases but I like rewarding people who went to the trouble of becoming immune to thing without trivializing the cost of the thing that inflicts thing

Particle_Man
2021-12-17, 11:43 PM
The dwarven defender’s defensive stance leaves you winded afterwards (-2 str). As far as I know it is the only mention of being winded anywhere.

Zarvistic
2021-12-18, 09:34 AM
Battlewine from lords of madness fatigues you. Its a really nice buff and also cheap, good with alchemical capsule.

Feldar
2021-12-18, 03:20 PM
I prefer the reserves of strength approach. If you’re immune to the thing it does then you just take damage. Damage depends on the thing you did. Not raw for most cases but I like rewarding people who went to the trouble of becoming immune to thing without trivializing the cost of the thing that inflicts thing

I get where you're going with that, but with things like repeated greater celerity getting rid of the written cost is trivializing the cost. Of course, at my table folks like stabbing things more than bending the fabric of the universe, so the way I'm doing it is a nod towards keeping universe benders a bit straighter and stabbing more relevant as the level goes higher.

I'm open to other suggestions, but if I start assigning damage numbers I'll inevitably wind up in an argument over the damage and I'll just find myself in an arms race with the pre-healing and ways around the damage.

ShurikVch
2021-12-18, 06:18 PM
Classes/levels
Fatigue/Exhaust:
Fiendbinder 5 (Tome of Magic) - Bind Tormented Soul
Fist of the Forest 1 (Complete Champion) - Feral Trance
Frenzied Berserker 1 (Complete Warrior) - Frenzy
Green Hunter 7 (Dragon #294) - Ferocity
Hida Defender 2 (Oriental Adventures) - Rage
Incarnate 7 (Magic of Incarnum) - Share Incarnum Radiance
Knight of the Raven 9 (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) - Sight Link
Ollam 5 (Complete Adventurer) - Inspire Resilience - for non-Dwarves
Orc Blademaster (Dragon #299) - Bladestorm
Orc Warlord 5 (Races of Faerûn) - Final Rage
Singh Rager 2 (Oriental Adventures) - Lion's Fury

Immune to Fatigue/Exhaust:
Horizon Walker 1 - with Terrain Mastery: Desert; immune to being fatigued (even when not in a desert!); effect which should make you exhausted - count as fatigued
Divine Mind 1 (Complete Psionic) - Psychic Aura with Repose mantle (you're still fatigued, but suffer no penalties for it; if you're exhausted - it's treated as if fatigued)
Soulborn 2 (Magic of Incarnum) - Incarnum Defense (for Lawful Evil alignment) makes you immune to Exhaustion

Feats
Fatigue/Exhaust:
Arcane Consumption (Player's Handbook II): +4 DC to your spell 1/day; you're fatigued and with -4 Con penalty
Body Awareness (Dragon #351) - the Sudden Effort option fatigues if used more than 1/day (or exhausts - if already fatigued)
Frenzied Hunt (Dragon #342)
Involuntary Rage (Savage Species)
Raging Spell Penetration (Dragon #310)

Tireless (Player's Guide to Faerûn/Dragon #318) immune to effects which make you fatigued; effect which should make you exhausted - count as fatigued

Spells
Fatigue/Exhaust:
Kord's Power Surge (Dragon #342; Initiate of Kord 1)
Sever Ties Of The Moon (Dragon #340; Cleric/Druid/Sorcerer/Wizard 3) - lycanthrope gets +10 on Control Shape checks, but fatigued while in animal or hybrid form

Elation (Book of Exalted Deeds; Bard/Cleric/Emissary of Barachiel 2, Sorcerer/Wizard 3, Joy domain 2) - does not remove the condition of fatigue, but it does offset most of the penalties for being fatigued
Favor of Ilmater/Favor of the Martyr (Player's Guide to Faerûn/Spell Compendium; Paladin/Initiate of Ilmater 4) immune to effects that would cause it to be dazed, exhausted, fatigued, nauseated, sickened, staggered, or stunned
Sheltered Vitality (Spell Compendium; Cleric/Druid 4) gains immunity to fatigue, exhaustion, and ability damage or ability drain (regardless of the source)
Unfailing Endurance (Defenders of the Faith; Cleric 4) render living creatures virtually immune to fatigue or exhaustion