PDA

View Full Version : Player Help OK to build PC that is dependent on a magic item for viability?

bsullivanp
2021-12-15, 01:01 PM
I am currently about to embark on Descent into Avernus with a cool idea for a build. A Fighter (Echo Knight)/Wizard (Chronurgy) MC who bends and folds time to be effective in battle. From the EK perspective, he pulls versions of himself from other dimensions to aid in battle, but also calls upon buff spells (Haste, Mirror Image, Blur, Misty Step) and Temporal Awareness to fold or reverse time to change the outcome of events.

I think the build is a cool idea but SUPER MAD (STR + INT + CON) to be effective. The DM is starting us at level 5 and allowing us to each have an uncommon magic item at start.

My question is this, is there are downside to having my magic item be either Gauntlet of Ogre Strength (STR) or Headband of Intellect (INT) to make the class a bit less MAD? Furthermore, should I even consider dumping STR (if I take gauntlet) or INT (headband) and reallocating those points into other stats (CON, DEX).

This would essentially make me dependent on the magic item to be functional, and would take up one attunement slot, but would allow me to play at peak attributes for the campaign. Would love to get this group's feelings on doing this. Upside? Downside?

Thanks.

Amnestic
2021-12-15, 01:07 PM
Primary potential downsides are:
It's a semi-permanent attunement tax
If you get captured/lose the item, you're more severely nerfed than someone who didn't build that way.

If you're not anticipating getting a lot of attunement magic items, or getting your stuff taken, no real problems.

Khrysaes
2021-12-15, 01:08 PM
Why str over dex since dex has more value per point?

Downside would be anti magic fields

Workarounds would be to choose int independent spells, like the buffs you mentioned.

I would argue for assuming point buy, 15 dex, 14 con, 14 int, rest wisdom.
+2 in dex, +1 wherever, so start with 13 int from points, +1 from race.

Then take the headband of intellect. So losing it would hurt but not debillitate you.

Alternatively, add 3 battlesmith artificer

Khrysaes
2021-12-15, 01:12 PM
Just took a look at dnd beyond.

Consider custom lineage and starting with an 18 in a stat.

If you want con, start with 17 con(15 point buy, +2 race +1 aberrant dragonmark, and take booming blade as your cantrip. 18 con at start and con based attack.

What race are you considering?
What level split to start and goal?

Sigreid
2021-12-15, 01:15 PM
I don't think there's an issue, but I'd go with the headband. First, it's probably easier to raise your strength on a fighter. Second, it's easier to not be crippled if the headband gets somehow disabled or taken away for a while.

elyktsorb
2021-12-15, 01:18 PM
3rd issue is that your going to be real sad without a magic weapon in avernus

bsullivanp
2021-12-15, 01:26 PM
3rd issue is that your going to be real sad without a magic weapon in avernus

We are actually starting with a +1 weapon too, but didn't want to mention that and complicate the discussion :)

RSP
2021-12-15, 01:28 PM
Are we assuming your DM is okay with multiclassing based on the item?

If you’re focusing more on melee weapon attacks as your schtick, I’d just go [Str or Dex] and Con as your best stats, and just make sure you have Int 13 for multiclassing. Then choose spells that don’t rely on spell attacks or save DCs.

That allows you to still get your starting magic item as something more useful, or, as suggested upthread, still get the Headband as a way to utilize those other spells, but not get completely shutdown if it’s lost. I prefer just running with the buffs and a different magic item, myself, but the build will work that way.

bsullivanp
2021-12-15, 01:35 PM
Just took a look at dnd beyond.

Consider custom lineage and starting with an 18 in a stat.

If you want con, start with 17 con(15 point buy, +2 race +1 aberrant dragonmark, and take booming blade as your cantrip. 18 con at start and con based attack.

What race are you considering?
What level split to start and goal?

Haven't considered custom lineage to date, but as of now was a Variant Human (because picked Sentinel feat to help with my echos). It was point buy so my initial stats were 16 STR, 8 DEX, 16 CON, 13 INT, 12 WIS, 8 CHA. I went STR instead of DEX because of the ability to wear plate, but as said above, perhaps DEX could be a better approach instead of STR.

Yakk
2021-12-15, 01:41 PM
The advantage of having a strength-based item crutch is that there are higher than 19 strength items out there. So your Gauntlets can get upgraded to Giant Strength later.

The advantage of having an intelligence-based item crutch is that if your default action is "hit things with a sword", losing your crutch costs you some versatility, not primary action effectiveness.

13 int, boosted to 19, is +3 DCs, +3 spell attack, and 3 known spells. A nice boost, but doesn't impact your buff spells much.

nickl_2000
2021-12-15, 01:43 PM
Does your DM frequently take away magic item? If the answer is yes, then it's probably not okay.

That being said, you can easily make a buffing/defensive EK/Wizard with low intelligence and still be effective. So, counting on a headband of intellect isn't all that dangerous.

Other the other hand, counting on all your constitution or strength from a magic item is a lot more dangerous.

Gtdead
2021-12-15, 02:18 PM
You don't really need INT for this build if all you are going to cast is buffs. Additionally, if you don't plan on going GWM, then I'd go for DEX over STR. A 16 mainstat/16 CON/14 INT will do without any need for items. Boost your combat stats and if you manage to get a Headband of Intellect then you may try some controller playstyle, although I don't think that controllers are very good against demons.

Bobthewizard
2021-12-15, 02:47 PM
You don't really need INT for this build if all you are going to cast is buffs. Additionally, if you don't plan on going GWM, then I'd go for DEX over STR. A 16 mainstat/16 CON/14 INT will do without any need for items. Boost your combat stats and if you manage to get a Headband of Intellect then you may try some controller playstyle, although I don't think that controllers are very good against demons.

I agree with this. 16 Str, 16 Con, 14 Int is fine. +2 STR at fighter 4. With multiclassing rules, you'd need a 13 INT and 13 STR or DEX anyway.

Headband of Intellect would be a fine magic item, and with the underlying 14 you aren't crippled if you lose it, but I'd probably choose something more fun - wand of web, winged boots, pipes of haunting, bag of tricks, or whatever else you want.

Khrysaes
2021-12-15, 03:34 PM
I agree with this. 16 Str, 16 Con, 14 Int is fine. +2 STR at fighter 4. With multiclassing rules, you'd need a 13 INT and 13 STR or DEX anyway.

Headband of Intellect would be a fine magic item, and with the underlying 14 you aren't crippled if you lose it, but I'd probably choose something more fun - wand of web, winged boots, pipes of haunting, bag of tricks, or whatever else you want.

Or 16 dex if you don't want to do great weapon master.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-12-15, 03:53 PM
Take regular human or Dhampir or Tasha’s custom rules with triton, put 15/15/13 str/int/con and you’re good.

bsullivanp
2021-12-15, 08:21 PM
Take regular human or Dhampir or Tasha’s custom rules with triton, put 15/15/13 str/int/con and you’re good.

Yes, but I think swap 15/13/15 str/int/con. If I largely take buffs, then the int becomes less important (or less risk if I lose the headband of intellect), while allowing me to move more into con.

Kane0
2021-12-15, 09:56 PM
The DM is starting us at level 5 and allowing us to each have an uncommon magic item at start.

You should be OK, but keep in mind you have nobody to blame but yourself if you lose it, and of course it's a attunement slot in order to make your character work.