PDA

View Full Version : amnesia poison? what?

WolvesbaneIII
2021-12-15, 03:49 PM
is this a home brew poison or is it D&D canon?

serini did brew it at home so...maybe?

does it need to be drank or can one just breathe it in? what if all of this was part of kiras- I mean serinis plan?

any info on the amnesia poison and what its full effects are? can it be nullified by an anti-toxin spell or potion? what if its a double bluff on her part and she didn't need to worry about any effects, and them being there is all she needs.

Fyraltari
2021-12-15, 04:24 PM
does it need to be drank or can one just breathe it in?

Serini does nor use any protection when standing near the cauldron so it's probably safe to inhale the fumes.

Unless she forgot.

Peelee
2021-12-15, 04:24 PM
OK I got a good chuckle out of that.

Manga Shoggoth
2021-12-16, 07:08 AM
what if its a double bluff on her part and she didn't need to worry about any effects, and them being there is all she needs.

I think you are expecting a bit much from the placebo effect here...

RatElemental
2021-12-16, 08:05 AM
There are no poisons in the base game that cause amnesia, so far as I am aware.

The amnesia concoction is, honestly, nearly impossible to explain mechanically. All poisons in the game either do ability damage or inflict unconsciousness, a potion would be much more likely to be the delivery method for amnesia. However, Serini is a rogue, and wouldn't be able to brew potions at all, and the spells that would make sense for inflicting amnesia are too high level to be brewed into potions.

The only possible mechanical explanation is that it is a homebrewed poison, likely an ingestion vector one, but then as mentioned there's a whole host of issues involved. It would allow a fortitude save, so 1 in 20 people would just not be affected at all, and Durkon and Roy probably have even better odds than that. It is possible it's an epic poison which would keep magical effects that grant immunity from poison from working on it, but then it would take multiple weeks of work to make a single dose of the stuff, especially given that it is far and away more powerful than the vanilla epic poisons and would have a much higher base price as a result.

That said, familicide would have had to have a casting DC in the hundreds if not thousands, so Rich just ignoring the actual epic rules and using it as plot devices is nothing new, and he hasn't been shackled to the rules in general for years now anyway.

Rinazina
2021-12-16, 08:40 AM
However, Serini is a rogue, and wouldn't be able to brew potions at all, and the spells that would make sense for inflicting amnesia are too high level to be brewed into potions.

The only possible mechanical explanation is that it is a homebrewed poison, likely an ingestion vector one, but then as mentioned there's a whole host of issues involved. It would allow a fortitude save, so 1 in 20 people would just not be affected at all, and Durkon and Roy probably have even better odds than that. It is possible it's an epic poison which would keep magical effects that grant immunity from poison from working on it, .

Digging on it; Imagine if Serini-the-troll-partially-enhanced, has a form of immunity, and she's was actually double-bluffing to splash our friends with the potion, after few rounds of deceptive apnea?

WolvesbaneIII
2021-12-17, 03:10 PM
Digging on it; Imagine if Serini-the-troll-partially-enhanced, has a form of immunity, and she's was actually double-bluffing to splash our friends with the potion, after few rounds of deceptive apnea?

thats what I'm thinking. she could be immune, and it only effects non trolls, which is such a troll thing to do.

Fyraltari
2021-12-17, 03:57 PM
thats what I'm thinking. she could be immune, and it only effects non trolls, which is such a troll thing to do.

Belkar should be fine then.

Reboot
2021-12-17, 11:27 PM
However, Serini is a rogue, and wouldn't be able to brew potions at all,...
The text on the cauldron apparently says "Magic Instant Pot". So it's a property of the cauldron, not of Sereni.

Yeah, if it can make something so powerful it must be Epic... but time isn't a limiting factor, and money probably isn't. So if it takes a couple of years to brew the amnesia potion/poison, that's not at issue.

brian 333
2021-12-18, 06:33 AM
Rogues certainly may brew poisons. Potions are stored spells, poisons are not. They are not the same thing in D&D.

danielxcutter
2021-12-18, 12:56 PM
Also not every liquid magic item is technically a potion I think.

KorvinStarmast
2021-12-18, 01:03 PM
Also not every liquid magic item is technically a potion I think.
Some are elixers, for example. :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2021-12-18, 01:13 PM
Some are elixers, for example. :smallbiggrin:

Poultices and ointments too!

Quizatzhaderac
2021-12-20, 05:24 PM
so powerful it must be EpicThat's a solid brand slogan right there.

Kurald Galain
2021-12-21, 03:22 PM
is this a home brew poison or is it D&D canon?

I forgot...

Nymrod
2021-12-26, 05:47 PM
There are no poisons in the base game that cause amnesia, so far as I am aware.

The amnesia concoction is, honestly, nearly impossible to explain mechanically. All poisons in the game either do ability damage or inflict unconsciousness, a potion would be much more likely to be the delivery method for amnesia. However, Serini is a rogue, and wouldn't be able to brew potions at all, and the spells that would make sense for inflicting amnesia are too high level to be brewed into potions.

The only possible mechanical explanation is that it is a homebrewed poison, likely an ingestion vector one, but then as mentioned there's a whole host of issues involved. It would allow a fortitude save, so 1 in 20 people would just not be affected at all, and Durkon and Roy probably have even better odds than that. It is possible it's an epic poison which would keep magical effects that grant immunity from poison from working on it, but then it would take multiple weeks of work to make a single dose of the stuff, especially given that it is far and away more powerful than the vanilla epic poisons and would have a much higher base price as a result.

That said, familicide would have had to have a casting DC in the hundreds if not thousands, so Rich just ignoring the actual epic rules and using it as plot devices is nothing new, and he hasn't been shackled to the rules in general for years now anyway.

The Styx is very hurt that you completely forgot about it.

Ultimately any Int draining/damaging poison (which is part of what the Styx does) could be skinned as also causing amnesia. You won't remember much when your Int is drained enough.

Also there are plenty of more complex poisons in the game, just not in the DMG. There is a poison that kills you and spawns a spider swarm (that ate you from within), there are narcotics that are considered poisons per the rules that can have a wide array of effects (some of them even positive) and then there is Yuan-ti ossra . . .

Fyraltari
2021-12-26, 05:54 PM

I only has itself to blame.

RatElemental
2021-12-26, 06:30 PM
It was actually the river Lethe that had to do with forgetfulness, people just lumped all three together into the Styx for some reason.

Considering that the eastern pantheon is gone, I'm not sure the Lethe still exists though.

In either case I doubt the waters could be brewed in a cauldron.

Peelee
2021-12-26, 06:54 PM
It was actually the river Lethe that had to do with forgetfulness, people just lumped all three together into the Styx for some reason.

Because Lethe isn't musically famous:

I will marry her now and confine her to hell,
Where Styx is a river, and not just a band
(Though they'll play our reception if all goes as planned),
Unless, Fry, you surrender my hands!

Manga Shoggoth
2021-12-26, 07:29 PM

Considering that the eastern pantheon is gone, I'm not sure the Lethe still exists though.

In either case I doubt the waters could be brewed in a cauldron.

...And Meng Po, who serves the broth of oblivion to people on the Bridge of Forgetfulness. I actually came across this character in The Story of the Stone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_the_Stone_(Hughart_novel)) by Barry Hughart (where the hero(es) are visiting the world of the dead to get information and need to sneak back in to the real world by joyriding on the Wheel of Reincarnation, but need to avoid her for obvious reasons).

I don't have a copy of Demigods and Deities (any edition - and its been a long time since I played...), so can't tell if she got included in the D&D rules (and would thus be "D&D Canon"), but she did appear in Chinese Mythology and apparantly does a very good soup...

Squire Doodad
2021-12-27, 12:26 AM
Personally I'm guessing this is just a homebrewed Epic potion with nonspecific abilities and logic behind it, and calling it a day.

NoHaxJustPi
2021-12-27, 04:25 AM
Personally I'm guessing this is just a homebrewed Epic potion with nonspecific abilities and logic behind it, and calling it a day.

Potion of Plot-Justifying Threat

Manga Shoggoth
2021-12-27, 06:52 AM

Of course it's home-brewed. She's cooking it herself, and I'll bet it isn't out of a packet...

mjasghar
2021-12-27, 08:19 AM
Treat it simply as infusing a spell into a potion
Probably this one though it is very high level
{scrubbed}

Squire Doodad
2021-12-27, 04:17 PM
Of course it's home-brewed. She's cooking it herself, and I'll bet it isn't out of a packet...

Hahaha
Do you mind if I sig that?

Manga Shoggoth
2021-12-28, 07:53 AM
Hahaha
Do you mind if I sig that?

Please do. It's nice when the humour is appreciated.

Wildstag
2021-12-28, 12:08 PM
The amnesia poison could be based off of the Pixie's Memory Loss (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm) arrows. Provided a character could find a way to replicate it, it'd work well, and there's always that "voluntarily fail a saving throw" option (or at least there's one in PF1E, dunno if 3.5 has the same kind of rule).

Since Serini has reason to believe the clerics are out of commission, Heal and Miracle are not on the table. And as I understand it, the Wishes aren't available in the setting either.