PDA

View Full Version : How can I count how much a weapon with many enchantement would cost?

Zhepna
2021-12-16, 10:34 AM
Hi,

We will play a lvl 20 game where I have more than 1 million of gp to buy equipment.

It's my first time buying or crafting if possible since my character is 100% a crafter, a weapon with many enchantements.

I would like to know how to calculate it. At first I thought that no limitations were present since another player bought a pair of weapons for over 500k but then I saw in a expansive item threat this:

''Continuous "Greater Magic Weapon" CL 15. Costs you 90k. Going from a +6 weapon (+1 w/ +5 worth) to a +10 weapon (+5 with +5 worth) would cost you 128000 gp. But more importantly than saving money is saving enchantment space - you could get a +1 weapon with +9 worth of enchantment, then slap a 90k ring on and now any weapon you wield counts as +5, upgrading that weapon to effectively +14 worth.''

Also, another player said the following weapon could be really good but like I said, I don't know where to begin for the value:

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
<snip>

So what weapon combos truly put the 'legend' in legendary? Are there any?

The closest I can think of to something like this is a riverine +1 metalline/aptitude/skillful/morphing/sizing/vorpal sword enhanced as an energy bow and also enhanced as a raptor arrow (for both returning and bane [everything]), with a stacked weapon crystal permanently set into it, which has a ton of weapon crystal abilities stacked on it for energy damage, ghost touch, throwing, quick draw, and so on, and enhanced via an acorn of far travel permanently embedded into it with a +5 greater magic weapon effect and a bunch of other buffs tossed on (which, of course, includes repeating surge of fortune to always roll Nat 20s on every swing, bless weapon to auto-confirm crits against evil creatures, haste, and a ton of other very high level buffs whenever you hold it).

Effects vary, depending on exactly what buffs are set into it with the acorn of far travel/hallow combo, but at the very least you have the ultimate Swiss army knife of weapons, capable of turning into literally any kind of weapon you want, of any size you want, which produces its own ammo and kills any evil enemy you successfully hit with a vorpal strike. You might not be leveling any mountains, but at least you can one-hit kill evil stuff reliably, especially if you start stacking true strike and such.

Thanks a lot for the information and have a nice day.

zlefin
2021-12-17, 09:43 AM
It's up to the DM whether to allow an item of continuous greater magic weapon; but many would not allow it. There are price guidelines for custom magic items, but those guidelines specifically note that they will not accurately account for all spell effects.

Normally a weapon is just 2k * (bonuses ^ 2); where bonuses are the weapons +number, as well as any abilities that have a +number equivalent. There are also some abilities that add a value directly to the weapon (eg +10k), those just add on normally.

No enchanted weapon should cost more then 200k, or else it's supposed to fall under the epic item rules, which add a 10x multiplier to the cost.

That sword with all the abilities seems very custom-heavy, and would probably fall under the epic rules; it also seems like it requires a specific DM's ok, as it's not constructed using the standard rules, but involves mixing special abilities that only exist on specific magic weapons, and do not exist as available modifiers.

the srd is a useful source if you aren't already using it.
https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#magicItemGoldPieceValues

Gavinfoxx
2021-12-17, 09:57 AM
Rather than a CGMW, why not have a +1 Impaling, Shadowstrike, Bloodfeeding, Collision, Psychokinetic weapon?

In fact, just read through the handbook, and you can spend as much money as you want!

http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=9053

Rebel7284
2021-12-17, 03:19 PM
Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry

There is where the confusion is coming from. While MaxiDuRarity clearly knows the rules, they seem to also never apply any common sense or any consideration of balance to those rules.

- As it has been pointed out, item creation guidelines are explicitly guidelines that a DM can adjust. So this rules out continuous Magic Weapon, etc.

- Trying to enchant weapons as ammunition, while legal under a certain tortured reading of the rules, is not applicable to a real game.

With all of that said, there is a magic item, Tooth of Leraje, that gives you a caster level 20 Greater Magic Weapon 1/day so grabbing that while having a +1 weapon with +9 worth of abilities is extremely nifty!

Jack_Simth
2021-12-17, 07:02 PM
With all of that said, there is a magic item, Tooth of Leraje, that gives you a caster level 20 Greater Magic Weapon 1/day so grabbing that while having a +1 weapon with +9 worth of abilities is extremely nifty!Greater Magic Weapon (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicWeaponGreater.htm) is Cleric-4, Paladin/Sorcerer/Wizard-3. You could just buy the party Wizard or Cleric a suitable Pearl of Power (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#pearlofPower) for 9k or 16k (vs. the 21.6k for the tooth).

sreservoir
2021-12-17, 08:06 PM
Also, the teeth of Dahlver-Nar are like, unique semi-artifacts that can't be created, unavoidably put you under vestige influence, and paint a targetplot hook on your back. Even if you don't have someone to use a pearl of power, you'd probably have a better time picking up a minor schema for 24k.

RNightstalker
2022-01-02, 12:42 AM
So what weapon combos truly put the 'legend' in legendary? Are there any?

It's normally how a weapon is used that makes it legendary. That being said, since you're crafting, what resources as far as feats and magic items are you investing into crafting? That will make a difference in calculating cost. Also, there are too many options out there to try to cover everything with one weapon, so do you have an idea of what you want your weapon to be able to do?

Powerdork
2022-01-02, 05:45 AM
With regards to a continuous greater magic weapon effect, I would like to highlight that the rules of the Dungeon Master's Guide explicitly call out unearned attack bonuses as nothing doing, using the example of true strike. The same principle applies just as much for just the same reason.