PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Path of Whirling Steel: Two Weapon Barbarian

sandmote
2021-12-16, 01:33 PM
This page on the homebrewery. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ZA6BoibwkF9N)

Feels like it really needs some ribbons, but I'm hoping to make a subclass focusing on two weapon fighting. I figured it would make most sense with a barbarian, which can add their bonus rage damage to each of their weapon attacks. The 14th level feature technically means they'll be getting 4 attacks per round before a fighter can, but as this class lacks Action Surge and needs to spend a feat to use weapons of equal size I'm hoping it isn't a severe problem.

Fluff
Some are not known merely for the force with which they deliver blows against their enemies but also for the speed with which they deliver additional strikes. Seemingly protected by these same spinning attacks, the heightened state of this barbarian path sometimes resembles a deadly dance more than a traditional rage.

Whirling Rend
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you learn to channel your rage into the speed of your strikes. When you take the attack action while raging, you can engage in two weapon fighting as part of the action, instead of as a bonus action.

You cannot use a bonus action to action to engage in two weapon fighting to make a weapon attack on the same turn in which you use this feature.

Springbreaker
By 3rd level, your blows are fast enough to guard you against surprise dangers. When you are holding a weapon with which you could engage in two weapon fighting, you can strike back against traps and environmental hazards, Your strikes are fast enough to glance off other blows, reducing the harm they cause you. When you trigger a trap or environmental hazard that deals When you would take bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage from a trap, environmental hazard, or weapon attack, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage you take by half your barbarian level + the damage die of a weapon with the light property you are holding with which you could engage in Two Weapon Fighting.

Whirling rend as your typical method of starting a rage and attacking with the off weapon in the same turn. Springbreaker is pretty weird, but I felt like the class rally needed a non-combat effect and this was the best I could come up with.

Bowling Blows
Starting at 6th level, when you make a weapon attack, the speed of the strike leaves the opponent vulnerable to your raw strength. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can make a shove attempt against the creature as a bonus action, without needing a free hand. On a success, the creature is also frightened of you also has disadvantage on attack rolls until the start of your next turn.

Works with any weapons, not just light ones and gives a use to that bonus action freed up by Whirling Rend. Note that shoving a creature 5 feet can allow you to move away without provoking an attack of opportunity; and fear prevents the target from moving closer to you.

Performance of Blades
By 10th level, you can channel your martial training into more social activities. When you would make a Performance (Charisma) or Intimidation (Charisma) check that involves physical activity such as dancing or a show of force, you gain a bonus equal to your Strength modifier to the result of the roll (minimum +1).

Blurred Strikes
By 14th level, your rage propels your strikes to a speed that dizzies your enemies and spectators alike. While raging you can engage in two weapon fighting each time you make a weapon attack instead of each time you take the attack action.

10th level feature lets you benefit from a positive Cha modifier, which I expect is easier with a well rounded barbarian than a min-maxed one. 14th level could probably use another ribbon.

JNAProductions
2021-12-16, 07:06 PM
Whirling Rend is fine. Frees up your bonus action, though I'd probably give the subclass SOMETHING to do with it, besides Rage. Wait, level six fixes that. Okay.
Springbreaker is very niche. Probably a bit too niche.
Level three is a bit underwhelming-perhaps let Springbreaker (which, if you take this advice, should be renamed) reduce damage from ANY attack or source of physical damage by roll of weapon damage, and add half your Barbarian level to this roll if it's made against a trap/hazard?

Bowling Blows is too good-Frightened is a really strong condition! I would not allow access to that at-will, especially not when it's opposed by an ability check and not a save!

Performance Of Blades is neat.

Blurred Strikes lets you make four attacks, rather than three, yeah? Nice little damage boost, especially with Rage Damage. Perhaps too good, but I've not run the math-and gut feeling, it's probably fine.

Question! How would this interact with Dual Wielder and PAM together? You could use two Quarterstaves or Spears, and get four attacks as early as level 5-two from Extra Attack, one from TWF, one from PAM.

I might disallow this subclass making ANY attacks with their bonus action on a turn they TWF-you could still benefit from Haste, but not PAM or something. It's probably not OP, honestly (that's VHuman or CLineage at level 4, or any other class at 8, and no ASIs devoted to actual stats in that time) but it feels... Wonky.

sandmote
2021-12-17, 07:13 PM
Level three is a bit underwhelming-perhaps let Springbreaker (which, if you take this advice, should be renamed) reduce damage from ANY attack or source of physical damage by roll of weapon damage, and add half your Barbarian level to this roll if it's made against a trap/hazard?

Bowling Blows is too good-Frightened is a really strong condition! I would not allow access to that at-will, especially not when it's opposed by an ability check and not a save! I specifically wanted something what would work out of combat. I'll make it -weapon die against attacks for now.

Would reducing Blowing Blow's penalty to "the target has disadvantage on attack rolls until the start of your next turn," work okay?

Question! How would this interact with Dual Wielder and PAM together? You could use two Quarterstaves or Spears, and get four attacks as early as level 5-two from Extra Attack, one from TWF, one from PAM.

I might disallow this subclass making ANY attacks with their bonus action on a turn they TWF-you could still benefit from Haste, but not PAM or something. It's probably not OP, honestly (that's VHuman or CLineage at level 4, or any other class at 8, and no ASIs devoted to actual stats in that time) but it feels... Wonky. Your solution seems good. It would probably step on the monk's toes too much even if it isn't OP.