PDA

View Full Version : Ruins of Azlant IC 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

u-b
2021-12-16, 02:36 PM
This is continuing Ruins of Azlant IC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?606685-Ruins-of-Azlant-IC) and still uses the same OOC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?606686-Ruins-of-Azlant-OOC)
Jessica bestows some luck on Henri while Laurelata tries to move past the fishmen to attack them from behind. The maneuver is not executed properly and Laurelata is stabbed by a trident getting two wounds in her side for 6 damage. She in turn inflicts only one wound with the rapier... which was, actually, the plan, but the attack could have been better aimed as it does not seem to hit anything vital and amounts for mere 4 damage. The fishmen seem to be rather worried by the growling glowing outsider. This divides their attention and Henri hits one for 14 damage. The creature, previously wounded by Laurelata, barely holds itself together until it gets water-blasted for 9 damage and into oblivion. The remaining one, scared as it is, seems to be willing to fight to the death and concentrates all of the attacks on Henri. This toes not do any good as the half orc fends off all the attacks - weapon, claw, bite and all.

Trident AoO: (1d20+5)[23] for (1d8+3)[6]
Trident AoO: (1d20+5)[11] for (1d8+3)[10]

Trident: (1d20+3)[6] for (1d8+3)[6]
Claw: (1d20+0)[11] for (1d4+1)[3]
Bite: (1d20+0)[2] for (1d6+1)[4]

HP 0/14

HP 14/22
People, you serious? :smallconfused: I thought I've told you well enough. I might one day use this stuff for reference (or why it it there at all)...
=> Party

farothel
2021-12-16, 02:40 PM
"Ouch you annoying buggers," Laurelata shouted as she was hit. Clearly she had to practice this maneuver a bit more. But for now she was on the other side of the fishman and with a small step she could flank again.

free: 5 foot step to flank again if needed.

attack: [roll0] (incl flanking bonus)
damage: [roll1] (and [roll2] sneak attack)

Laurelata (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1907512)
F CG Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 2, Init 9, HP 7/13, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 14, Fort 0, Ref 6, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
Rapier +4 (1d6, 18-20/x2)
holy, reliquary, Str+1 composite longbow +1 (20 arrows) +4 (1d8+1 (+2d6), x3)
dagger +4 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
masterwork, magical chainshirt +1 (+5 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 11, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14
Condition None

SanguinePenguin
2021-12-16, 04:35 PM
Taz grins wildly as her blow knocks the fishman out of the fight. She then shifts her position to line up a clear shot on the other. When the opportunity comes, she fires a second powerful blast in the fishman's direction.

Move: to most appropriate position (avoid AoOs, and cover if possible)
Standard: water blast on the remaining
Attack: [roll0] (+1 if vs abberations)
Damage: [roll1]

Tazmara Stonesong (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2103492)
F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 2, Init 2, HP 23/23, DR Cold/pressure - 1, Speed 20 / 20 (swim)
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 14, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 1, CMB +2 (5), Base Attack Bonus 1
PBS Water Blast +4 (1d6+6, x2)
Dagger +2 (+3 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
Heavy Pick +2 (1d6+1, x4)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Condition Having a swim speed grants a +8 bonus on some swim checks (most others are not needed)

DarkOne-Rob
2021-12-16, 11:18 PM
Henri (no last name) (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2368101)
Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 2, Init 1, HP 14/22, Speed 20 ft
AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, CMD 17, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 4, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
Greataxe +5 (1d12+9, 20/x3)
Breastplate (+6 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 7
Condition Power Attack
"Finish it, fast!" spits Henri as he slashes at the attacker again.

Activate Power attack, take a 5-ft step to flank (if possible), and then attack: Greataxe [roll0] to hit, [roll1] (20/x3), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage.

AoO if applicable: Greataxe [roll4] to hit, [roll5] (20/x3), [roll6] slashing damage, [roll7] critical strike damage.

Farmerbink
2021-12-17, 03:35 PM
Jessica stays in the back, gripping her glaive fruitlessly. "Smile upon us, mistress!" She raises her idol high, using it to channel the healing energy of her goddess.

Jessica Cooper (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1453959)
F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 2, Init 2, HP 0/14, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 14, Fort 4, Ref 1, Will 5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
Glaive +3 (1d10+3, x3)
Dagger +3/+2 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
Condition +2 CL for divination spells
Augery 2/2 (weekly)
Inner beauty: 1/1
Alter self: 1/1
Channel energy: 6/8, 1d6
Touch of good: 5/5
Bit of Luck: 4/5
Talisman of good fortune: reroll natural 1 (once, then it crumbles)
Bless: 1/1
Protection from Evil: 1/1
Unprepared slots: 1

[roll0] HP to everyone but up to 3 enemies (I think there's only two?)

DaOldeWolf
2021-12-20, 06:26 PM
Hewitt decides to send Lightburn to help after its first plan didnt work. He casts a spell on Lightburn whom with a better defense might try to help fight back.

Casting Mage armor on Lightburn to increse its AC.
Lightburn would try to attack even if he ends up eating an attack for it.
Attack: [roll0]

u-b
2021-12-21, 12:17 PM
It takes a coordinated effort, but you do manage to bring down the remaining fishman before he could attack again. No more opposition is incoming at the moment, though you do wonder if the sounds of shouting and fighting have alerted anyone behind the doors leading further in. Unless you spend some time to look at the magics again, the only notable thing that those of you seeing the initial charge can notice is that if you squint just like so, you can spot the empty space through the almost solid looking walls along the far sides to the right and the room you are in.

farothel
2021-12-21, 01:47 PM
"Let's check for magic again before we move on," Laurelata said, "if anybody else has the spell, I'm all out for that one."
She kept looking around just in case something or someone else was coming towards them.

I can only do detect magic 1/day, so someone else will have to do it.
perception: [roll0]

Farmerbink
2021-12-21, 02:21 PM
Jessica nods dutifully at Laurelata's request. "I'm not the best at identifying the auras, but I can see them if I try." She casts the spell and looks around carefully.

It's +5 for both know (arcana) and spellcraft. If we're not interrupted, Jessica will attempt to identify anything and everything she sees to the best of her ability.

DaOldeWolf
2021-12-22, 12:53 AM
Hewitt also offers himself for the task. "I believe this is also a task I can help with. Allow me to offer a helping hand on the matter."

Casting detect magic to help checking everything out
Know. Arcana: [roll0]
Spellcraft: [roll1]

DarkOne-Rob
2021-12-22, 12:58 AM
Henri rubs his mostly-healed wound, looking a bit unhappy at where the fishman stabbed him. "Surprised me there...thank you for healing us, Jessica." he says, quietly, as he puts pressure on the wound to slow its flow of blood.

At 20/22 HPs, so good to go.

u-b
2021-12-22, 12:57 PM
Between Jess and Hewitt you manage to learn the following:
1. There is, like, a dozen of spells and effects on this tower, some of them linked together and most of them well above your pay grade. Nothing seem to be immediately harmful given that you are still alive, but for example you cannot sense any auras behind the double doors leading north, even though you well expect there should be some. You check it with the front doors and yep, your divinations are blocked by these too, so there is apparently some protective magic at work (well, or some lead hidden inside the doors, you might try disassembling the doors to check the hypothesis).
2. While a multitude of high-level auras like this is certainly not something you see every day, some stuff is quite recognizable, if noticiably permanent:
2.1 Illumination on the ceiling, which is a version of Light.
2.2 The illusory walls, which use the same version of Silent Image.
3. Apart from the tower itself, there are some more localized auras:
3.1 Two circles of silvery metal set into the floor in the corners of the rooms (or are they better considered parts of the same room) behind the illusory walls. These shine moderate Transmutation.
3.2 Two tridents the fishmen were attacking you with. These are +1 tridents.

Laurelata, meanwhile, both hears and later sees something interesting:
4. She hears some faint activity behind the doors leading north. People moving and talking? She does not recognize anything said.
5. Then she no longer hears this activity.
6. Then she notices what seems to be a keyhole in the wall to the left of those double doors. Noticiably, it does not seem positioned like a door lock normally would be.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-12-22, 11:18 PM
Henri watches the efforts of the spellcasters to understand what is happening quietly. When one announces that the fishmen's tridents (https://aonprd.com/EquipmentWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Trident) are magical he takes one and tests it carefully. "Could prove handy. If no one else minds, I'll take one of these," he says as he adjusts his gear to find a place for it.

Add one +1 Trident to Henri's inventory. It's a bit redundant with his +1 Spear from the grindylows, but as a one-handed weapon I figure it might be useful in other situations.

If anyone wants it instead they can have either it or his +1 Spear instead.

farothel
2021-12-23, 06:16 AM
Laurelata put her hand up for silence but then the sound dropped.
"I heard someone behind those back doors," she said, "but it's gone now. They know we're here, so be careful."

She agreed with Henri taking one of the tridents. He could work with it and she couldn't and if it was better than his current stuff, why not.
"That's weird," she said when she noticed the lock, "this shouldn't be here. Let me have a closer look at this, but keep your guard up."

She took a closer look at the lock to see why it was there, or if it was even real.

Have a close look at the lock to see if it's real and if it's trapped.
perception: [roll0] (extra +1 for searching for traps)
or if it's a disable device check: [roll1] (extra +1 for traps)

Farmerbink
2021-12-23, 11:38 AM
Jessica eagerly reports her findings, glad to be helpful, even if she doesn't learn as much as she'd like. When Laurelata calls for silence, she demurely obliges, taking a few precautionary steps backwards. She favors Henri with a nod and a smile, as she readies her glaive in silence.

DaOldeWolf
2021-12-23, 11:53 AM
Hewitt adds. "We should probably be careful about potentially some of the magical stuff in the room." Lightburn wonders. "How should we deal with all of this? There might be a trap in this room and potentially enemies in the next."

DarkOne-Rob
2021-12-23, 11:44 PM
Henri gestures to everyone to stay close as he trails right behind Laurelata. "They know we're here - stay close," he says as he pulls out his polearm and tries to look everywhere at once...

u-b
2021-12-23, 11:47 PM
Laurelata checks the strange keyhole. It seems quite real when she goes on to tinker with it, including what seems to be a locking mechanism in it. Eventually, Laurelata feels the pins settle and the core rotate. She is pretty sure whatever lock is there is now in a different state than it was before. She still has no idea what she has just locked or unlocked, but highly suspects it is not this door.

farothel
2021-12-24, 07:51 AM
"I have it open," Laurelata said, looking at the others, "or closed something. I'm actually not really sure and whatever it was, it wasn't that door. Anybody seen anything change around here?"

DaOldeWolf
2021-12-30, 01:08 AM
"This could be potentially dangerous." Hewitt looks around searching for any changes in the magic of the area.

u-b
2021-12-30, 04:17 AM
Hewitt does his best looking for any change in the surrounding magics, but could not find any. So, either Laurelata has affected something non-magical, or something magical outside of the scanned area, or something magical that does not change its aura upon being affected.

farothel
2021-12-30, 08:24 AM
"We can always knock and try diplomacy," Laurelata suggested, "they know we're here, I'm quite sure of it. So why not try to talk our way through? And if that doesn't work, they have opened the door for us."

DarkOne-Rob
2021-12-30, 06:13 PM
"Diplomacy? As long as we don't try and catch more prisoners - the colony can't afford more of those," mutters Henri, a bit irritably. "In the meantime, let's be ready to fight whatever comes out of that door. I'm ready - open it when ready."

Farmerbink
2021-12-31, 10:06 PM
Jessica lights up briefly at Laurelata's call for friendly resolution. Her excitement fades almost immediately at Henri's brusque response, instead leaving her almost embarrassed. "I would... be glad to try," she murmurs quietly. As no one else steps forward, Jessica does. She raises her voice, and calls out (first in Azlanti, then Common, Aquan, Celestial, and Dwarven- if there is no response), "Hello? We're not here to hurt you! We're just looking for our friends, and maybe some answers? Can we speak peaceably? I am a priestess of Shelyn and swear by her grace no harm will come to you if you don't attack us!"

We'll use her religious trait, to get a +4 on this diplomacy check.

[roll0] diplomacy to improve their attitude? // make a good impression.

u-b
2022-01-01, 06:21 AM
Jessica tries to communicate. She does it in every language she knows, but the only outcome you get is some barely audible whispers behind the closed doors. Those do not seem to be addressed to you and are then followed by silence.

Farmerbink
2022-01-01, 12:41 PM
The lack of response leaves Jessica decidedly disappointed. "I don't think they care. It's possible they don't understand, but we had better be prepared for a fight if we want to see what's on the other side of this door..." She takes several cautious steps back, to be in a less exposed position when one of the more able combatants opens the doors.

farothel
2022-01-01, 12:59 PM
"Well, we tried," Laurelata said, "now we just have to get this bloody door open... somehow."
She had another look at the door and the vicinity around it.
"If anybody has seen any illusion magic around here," she said.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-02, 12:09 AM
With a glance at Jessica Henri sighs quietly as the idealistic cleric's efforts fail. When she moves out of the way he steps forward, prepared to be the first in melee...

DaOldeWolf
2022-01-02, 02:00 PM
Hewitt decides to leave Lightburn at the front too. There wasnt much else he could do at this point in time.

u-b
2022-01-04, 04:36 AM
The doors at least do not seem to be illusory. Nor do they seem locked. Henri opens them and is greeted by two fishmen on your left looking at him, then looking expectantly at the ceiling where what appears to be two automatic fully-steerable clockwork crossbows are located. The crossbows are pointed at the entrance (which is to say, at you), but do not seem to do anything at the moment.

https://i.postimg.cc/8cRjLgBS/image.png

Fishmen init: (1d20+1)[7] (everyone roll your init, but you still get to act now, even if it is lower than 7)
=> Party

farothel
2022-01-04, 11:40 AM
"I think I turned those off," Laurelata said as she brought her bow up and bending around Henri she shot at the second of the fishmen.

attack: [roll0] (including bonus for flat-footed).
damage [roll1] ([roll2] extra if evil and [roll3] sneak attack as they are flat-footed and within 30ft).

initiative: [roll4] (my minimum is 10, so I'll always in front of the fishmen)

F CG Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 2, Init 9, HP 13/13, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 14, Fort 0, Ref 6, Will 1, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
Rapier +4 (1d6, 18-20/x2)
holy, reliquary, Str+1 composite longbow +1 (20 arrows) +4 (1d8+1 (+2d6), x3)
dagger +4 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
Condition None

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-04, 11:54 PM
Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 2, Init 1, HP 20/22, Speed 20 ft
AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, CMD 17, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 4, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
Condition Power Attack
"Turned them off? What does an 'on' crossbow look like?" asks Henri. Then he steps forward and brings his axe down at the fishman with an overhead swing!

Activate Power attack, take a 5-ft step to AV9, and then attack: Greataxe [roll0] to hit, [roll1] (20/x3), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage.

AoO if applicable: Greataxe [roll4] to hit, [roll5] (20/x3), [roll6] slashing damage, [roll7] critical strike damage.

Farmerbink
2022-01-05, 12:35 PM
Jessica's eyes widen as she takes in the mounted crossbow-launchers. "I sure hope so!" she exclaims, at Laurelata's comment. "Still, let's not be reckless," she adds, as she steps behind a wall, close to Lightburn. She reaches out to the eidolon's flank, "Get 'em!"

Lightburn has bit of luck- roll twice and take best on all d20s this round.
F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 2, Init 2, HP 0/14, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 14, Fort 4, Ref 1, Will 5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
Glaive +3 (1d10+3, x3)
Augery 2/2 (weekly)
Bit of Luck: 3/5

Move to AX/10
give Lightburn bit of luck

SanguinePenguin
2022-01-05, 12:46 PM
Taz eyes the bow suspiciously as she dashes into the room. "Let's hope you did!" she says as she passes Laurelata. Halfway into the room, she fires blast of water across her chest at the far fishman.

Init: 13 (ooc)

Move: to AW7
Standard: water blast at AU7

F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 2, Init 2, HP 23/23, DR Cold/pressure - 1, Speed 20 / 20 (swim)
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 14, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 1, CMB +2 (5), Base Attack Bonus 1
Condition Having a swim speed grants a +8 bonus on some swim checks (most others are not needed)

DaOldeWolf
2022-01-05, 09:25 PM
Jessica's eyes widen as she takes in the mounted crossbow-launchers. "I sure hope so!" she exclaims, at Laurelata's comment. "Still, let's not be reckless," she adds, as she steps behind a wall, close to Lightburn. She reaches out to the eidolon's flank, "Get 'em!"

Lightburn roars feeling extra confident after hearing Laurelata´s kind words. He then immediately leap into action to maul the fisherman closer to them. Hewitt remains on the back as he waits for the battle to conclude trying to keep his attention on the room they currently reside on and any possible changes in the magic auras.

Lightburn will attack the fishman on AU 8 with a bite.
Bite : [roll0] [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

u-b
2022-01-06, 12:51 PM
Laurelata shots one fishman in the chest for 10 damage. Henri hits another one for only 11 as the mighty swing of the axe passes clean through the muscle of the front of the other fishman's right leg without breaking the bone. Jessica brings some divine luck into the picture. Tazmara moves in and, notably, is not targeted by crossbows as she blasts the northern fishman for 7 more damage. The fishman looks quite terrified, but counterattacks, stepping into melee range, clawing and biting, but only manages to land one blow for 4 damage. Another one counterattacks against Henri. This one has better success, langing a claw and a bite, for a total of 8 damage.], but then is bitten by Lightburn for 5 damage and also starts to look decidedly unwell. Hewitt can sense quite a lot of magic auras that he was unable to sense while the doors were closed. It will take time to make sense of them all.

https://i.postimg.cc/HkDjn8Nn/image.png
UPD: Jessica is in AX10 instead, I wont re-make the picture.

Claw (1d20+4)[5] for (1d4+2)[4]
Claw (1d20+4)[18] for (1d4+2)[4]
Bite (1d20+4)[14] for (1d6+2)[3]

Claw (1d20+4)[9] for (1d4+2)[6]
Claw (1d20+4)[18] for (1d4+2)[3]
Bite (1d20+4)[23] for (1d6+2)[5]
=> Party (except Lightburn and Hewitt)

SanguinePenguin
2022-01-06, 01:23 PM
Taz takes the claw in stride. Water droplets condense in the surrounding air as she connects to the source of her power. She then leaps back from the fishman and sends a powerful stream of water back in its direction, attempting to push it back to where it was a moment before

5 ft step to AX7
Move: gather power 1
Standard: pushing water blast at AV7
Bull Rush: [roll2] (+1 if vs abberations)

F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 2, Init 2, HP 19/23, DR Cold/pressure - 1, Speed 20 / 20 (swim)

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-06, 10:22 PM
Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 2, Init 1, HP 12/22, Speed 20 ft
Condition Power Attack
Henri grunts in pain as he takes the pointy end of a trident in his armored side. Then he silently swings his axe back again, hoping to finish off the fish-man!

Activate Power attack and then attack: Greataxe [roll0] to hit, [roll1] (20/x3), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage.

Farmerbink
2022-01-07, 12:24 AM
Jessica follows her allies into the suddenly crowded chamber. Relieved to not be under fire from some automated crossbow system, she brings her glaive around on one of the fishmen.

Glaive +3 (1d10+3, x3)
Augery 2/2 (weekly)

Move to AW/9
Attack AC/7:
[roll0] glaive
[roll1] CC (x3)
[roll2] damage
[roll3] crit bonus

farothel
2022-01-07, 03:47 AM
With everybody (or almost) in melee, it became too dangerous to shoot further. So Laurelate drew her rapier and moved next to Henri, trying to stab the fishman.

free: draw rapier
move action: move to AU9
attack: see OOC topic

u-b
2022-01-07, 11:46 AM
Tazmara splatters one fishman and Henri cuts the left arm off another, thus taking both opponents well out of fight. The crossbows on the ceiling still seem to do nothing. Hewitt eventually notices they both shine moderate divination and nothing else, so the operation seems mostly mechanical. You now have some time to look at the curving ramp along the northern wall ascending to the floor above, closed door leading east with some quiet activity behind it, not fully closed door leading west with no activity behind it and at murals all over tha place. The murals are depicting kind-looking human adult figures smiling benevolently at children. The children, for their part, are smiling and appear healthy and happy. The figures, both adults and children, have tiny jewels orbiting around their heads in shining rings that resemble halos. Bold words are painted above the door in Azlanti: "Ours is the Great Work to see humanity achieve its greatest potential".

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-08, 01:29 AM
Henri wipes his blade clean after ensuring neither of the fishmen will rise again. Looking around he gets Jessica's attention and points to the words in the foreign script. "What's the deal here? Happy kids with magic rocks...?"

He listens to her answer and then moves towards the nearest door (West). There he listens for sounds of movement or speaking before pushing it open with his axe as he tries to look inside...

farothel
2022-01-08, 07:13 AM
"Nice place," Laurelata said, "let me first check that for traps, before you open it."
The last was to Henri. If she could get there in time, she would check the door for traps and disable any found. Then she would have a closer look at the crossbows to try and figure out how they operated.

check for traps: [roll0]
if there is one: disable device: [roll1]

u-b
2022-01-08, 01:45 PM
Laurelata checks for traps. There seem to be none on the door itself, though there is a keyhole (the lock is not engaged). The crossbows rather seem completely clockwork, even though Hewitt points out their divination auras. On each crossbow, there seems to be a box with maybe ten bolts, judging from its size, some swiveling mechanisms suggesting no dead zones in this rooms if they work like they seem they should, a big round basement connecting the thing to the ceiling and connected to every part of the crossbow, including te swivels and the string-pulling hook. Laurelata can only guess there should be a spring somewhere in there as divination magic is unlikely to provide the force.

The room remains silent during Henri's inspection and so he opens the door and looks in. The illumination of the ceiling turns on. The room appears to be a workshop, as evidenced by a table along the western wall laden with tools and mechanical parts. Beneath the table is a metallic chest of drawers. There is a closed door leading north.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-08, 10:57 PM
"Don't give them our backs - it's quiet here, and I head something there," says Henri as he points with his axe at the opposite door. "Someone else check this new room while I stay between us and that noise..."

Henri breaths a bit heavily, moving with pain as his wounds show their impact. He could use some healing.

Move to AX8 and wait for someone else to explore the quiet room.

Henri needs to heal about ten HPs. A CLW or Channel Positive Energy with decent rolls will cover it, if Jessica can spare it.

farothel
2022-01-09, 03:51 PM
"I'll have a look around," Laurelata said, moving into the room. First she checked out the chest of drawers for traps and after she had found none or disabled them she opened them to see what was inside.

perception to check for traps: [roll0]
disable device for traps: [roll1]
disable device to open locks if it's locked: [roll2]

Farmerbink
2022-01-09, 09:13 PM
In the sudden wake of violence, Jessica breathes heavily in relief. It's broken briefly when Henri puts down the defeated enemies, and she grimaces slightly at the gruesome display. Still, a few moments later, when he asks about the language, she is stirred from her daze.

The priestess sheathes her glaive as she approaches, eyes glued to the fresco. "Uh... it seems like... propaganda, honestly," she mutters. After translating, she gestures in vague annoyance and editorializes briefly: "Usually you don't have to paint that you're doing the good work on the wall, if... you're.. you know. Actually doing the good work."

Only then does the young woman look back to her friend and realize Henri's injuries. "Oh, gods! I'm sorry! Here I am waxing poetic and you're bleeding on the floor!" She raises her symbol high in the middle of the room, and feels the similar wave of energy pour forth- only... harder. "Oh! Shelyn has blessed us, indeed!"

Glaive +3 (1d10+3, x3)
Augery 2/2 (weekly)
Channel energy: 5/8, 2d6

[roll0] HP If that's less than 5, we'll do it again: [roll1]

u-b
2022-01-11, 01:29 PM
From his position next to the eastern door Henri hears what seems to be someone doing something there. Something not particularly loud or energetic.

The table in the western room does not seem to contain any traps. Neither does the metallic chest of drawers beneath the table. Instead, they contain countless gears, cogs, springs, and other parts and pieces to any number of clockwork contraptions. They also contain some tooling, presumably to be used on such. The only thing that is not necessarily a piece of some clockwork or a tool is a single gemstone nestled among the parts on the table.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-11, 11:43 PM
"Company over here - wrap it up and get ready for more fighting!" warns Henri from where he stands, listening to whatever is on the other side of the door.

DaOldeWolf
2022-01-12, 12:39 AM
"More fish people? " Hewitt asks Henri. "Let me check for any magic auras around first. We better be careful about this." He explains trying to check for magic from outside the western room.

farothel
2022-01-12, 03:59 AM
Laurelata takes the gem and shows it to the others as she puts it away and moves to the other door.
"There's a lot of gears and stuff there as well," she adds, "and one more door to check out. Let me first check this one on traps, just in case."

perception to check on traps: [roll0]
if there are any: disable device to remove: [roll1]

u-b
2022-01-12, 02:07 PM
The whole western room shines magical just like the rest of the building. By now, though, that is not of interest. The only other thing that shines magical is the gemstone Laurelata has collected.

"More fish people?"
Despite not being asked, Lightburn responds that no, not the fish people behind the eastern door. Just more clockworks and... well, Lightburn is not sure, but some rather strange smell, not biological.

Laurelata examines the door. It does not seem to be trapped in an obvious way. There is a keyhole, but the lock does not seem to be engaged.

Roll knowledge/spellcraft if you study the gem.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-12, 06:02 PM
Henri grunts. "Can you smell if they're hostile?" he asks Lightburn, his tone not quite joking, though it's possible he intends it that way. "Say when," he requests, looking to everyone for a cue as he gets ready to shoulder the door open roughly.

SanguinePenguin
2022-01-13, 10:21 PM
Taz clenches her fists, nods, and says softly, "let's go!"

farothel
2022-01-14, 04:00 AM
"Interesting," Laurelata said when the gem turned out to be magical, "let's clear this out first and then we can take the time to investigate this and other stuff further, ok?"
She nodded to Henri to indicate she was ready.

u-b
2022-01-17, 02:01 PM
You open the door. A long marble workbench runs the entire length of the southern wall of the room beyond, and a rusting metal shelf stands on the opposite wall. Squat stools line up along the bench, which is littered with a variety of small, precise hammers and chisels as well as fragments of crystalline stone that looks like quartz. There is a single closed door in the eastern part of the north wall. Two clockwork humanoids man two of four stools, working on some pieces of crystal. They seem to notice you, but refuse to be interrupted.

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/aa/9a/22/aa9a22de56786e7ebc5542b796f9fe8b.jpg

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-17, 03:08 PM
Henri looks at the two figures for a moment, then back to the party. He shrugs, clearly expressing his cluelessness on how to proceed...

DaOldeWolf
2022-01-17, 11:22 PM
Hewitt is reminded of the past when they had just arrived. "All these contraptions remind me of that eye like machination we encountered on our first day. Does anyone else think there might be a connection between the two?"

farothel
2022-01-19, 12:26 PM
"Greetings," Laurelata said in the ancient Aztlanti that seemed to be the language here. She had been studying it and while her accent was probably terrible, she was sure she could be understood.
"What are you making?"

She looked at the stuff they were working on, trying to figure out what it was.

u-b
2022-01-19, 12:42 PM
The clockwork humanoid closer to you takes pause with its work, turns to you and responds in Azlanti. "You are trespassing. You are not authorized to receive information. You are required to leave immediately. The security has been alerted. If you don't leave now, you will be removed by force." It does not immediately resume its work, but instead seems to await your reaction.

Lookin at the things the humanoids were working on, Laurelata mostly sees pieces of... quartz? No raw quartz like it comes from prospectors, but various bits and pieces it seems.

Roll some skill having to do with the stuff (gems, minerals or suchlike) vs DC 15 or just appraise vs DC 20 (at +5 if you spend time handling the stuff, if they let you).

farothel
2022-01-20, 12:37 PM
"So where do we have to be to get permission," Laurelata asked, stalling for time while she tried to see what they were working on and what they were as well. She had seen gems before, so she thought she should have some idea to what they were worth.

appraise: [roll0]
craft(clockwork) to get some idea of the abilities of the automatons: [roll1]

u-b
2022-01-20, 02:33 PM
The stones seem rather cheap, mostly chipped and flawed. They probably not worth a lot, and the work on them is not finished. Lightburn is not a great jeweler, but at least now he can identify the other smell here - it is the dust from polishing those stones, that is all he can tell. Meanwhile, Laurelata's question is met with a pause. "Due to the emergency, only the personnel has permission to enter." Then there is another pause. "Only Spindle Solutions personnel is authorized to enter." Apparently, something did not compute.

As for the abilities of these two. They look fairly advanced. May be fully reprogrammable, you think. Probably tougher than a human. Not much is really known by Laurelata.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-20, 03:40 PM
Henri doesn't move from the doorway, his axe still in hand ready to commit violence if needed. "So...I think I follow, but they aren't making sense..." he says quietly as he tries to keep an eye on both the room they left and the room with the two construct workers...

farothel
2022-01-21, 03:21 PM
"We are Spindle Solutions personnel," Laurelata said with a straight face, "we recently arrived. Haven't they informed you of the new staff arrivals?"

in case it's needed against clockwork workers: bluff: [roll0]

u-b
2022-01-22, 01:13 PM
The clockwork humanoid takes another look past Laurelata at the two fishmen you've just murdered and seems totally unimpressed. "You are not. All Spindle Solutions personnel has been evacuated." Now something does not compute in Laurelata's head, if only for a moment...

Farmerbink
2022-01-22, 04:12 PM
Jessica's furrowed brow finally seems to produce results. She steps up, alongside Henri, and speaks up over the low hum of scraping and chipping caused by the automatons' actions. "If what you say is true," she begins- with just a little hesitance, "anyone here is trespassing, including yourselves. It cannot be that everyone allowed to be here has been evacuated. Perhaps more to the point, we are here to help. I don't precisely know the nature of your emergency, but would offer my assistance, if you can please explain."

As per her usual, going for the "honey" method: [roll0] diplomacy

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-22, 08:48 PM
Henri continues to watch and listen, readying himself for violence when the "security" shows up...

u-b
2022-01-23, 03:31 AM
The clockwork humanoid responds: "We are not personnel. We are equipment. All personnel has been evacuated. There are trespassers. All trespassers must leave the facility." Then, after a pause: "All trespassers must leave the facility." The clockwork humanoid seems either unwilling or unable to do much of explaining, you are not sure which.

farothel
2022-01-23, 12:42 PM
"How long ago was the evacuation," Laurelata asked next. She wasn't sure what was going on here, but these were talking and she hoped that by stalling and asking questions, to get some information.

u-b
2022-01-23, 02:51 PM
The clockwork humanoid responds: "The evacuation was complete by 22 Lissa 13480, which was no less than 126 days ago, but we were switched off for some time, so it might have been longer."

You know that Azlanti had their own calendar, and preparing for this trip you did some research. You remember that surviving records date the Earthfall as occuring on or around 18 Zura 13480, which is year -5239 AR...

Farmerbink
2022-01-23, 10:39 PM
Jessica blinks, almost instinctively beginning to do the math in her head. "That's... Well, it was definitely much, much longer. I'm quite confident we need not worry about security- at least, not of the living sort..." She peers curiously into the room, taking the time to consider what she sees fairly carefully. For only a moment, she directs her words to the constructs once more. "Your last instructions were given thousands of years ago. Is there an end point to them?"

"I don't know if those two will attack us, or indeed if they can make any choices at all, but they're talking about an event that happened some 10,000 years ago. I wouldn't completely disregard the threat of security, but it seems very likely to be mechanical if it still exists. Henri, would you see if they'll interfere with going to that door?" She points unobtrusively towards the door on the far wall, hoping to direct his efforts but not alert the constructs.

"Wait! she whispers, suddenly urgently, grabbing Henri by the shoulder. "They were off for thousands of years, but only registered 126 days?? The-" she visibly shivers, looking at the automatons wide-eyed.

"The first wave of colonists came here. I'm sure of it."

farothel
2022-01-24, 01:45 PM
"How long have you been switched on now," Laurelata asked. She had heard Jessica speak, but she first wanted as much information as they could get. And if they were in some sort of trap, it was too late anyway, but the information they got here could be very important.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-24, 03:49 PM
Henri listens silently before nodding resolutely. He then walks to the next door deliberately and then tries to open it, keeping his axe in hand to defend himself...

SanguinePenguin
2022-01-24, 11:29 PM
Taz stands vigilant as the clockwork men speak with Jessica and Laurelata in Azlanti. She isn't really paying attention, when she suddenly realize she is following the conversation! Either through those endless hours where those pedantic statues droned on and on or Jessica's constant talking to everyone and everthing about whatever, Taz seemed to have picked up enough Azlanti to follow along.

"Are there more... trespassers not us? Err... other than us?" Taz's pronounciation left much to be desired and her grammar needed work, but she managed to inject her own thoughts into the conversation.

DaOldeWolf
2022-01-25, 12:31 AM
"How have you managed to stay well.... in working condition? Also, is anyone currently in charge here?" Hewitt decides to join the interrogation.

u-b
2022-01-25, 12:56 PM
"Our last instructions..." then the other construct stands up from its work "You are not authorized to ask questions. You are trespassers and must leave the facility." but the first construct then makes what seems to Taz like an important correction... "All trespassers must leave the facility." It seems the things are getting a bit tense here. Would you want to push it?

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-25, 06:23 PM
Henri listens silently before nodding resolutely. He then walks to the next door deliberately and then tries to open it, keeping his axe in hand to defend himself...
From the next doorway Henri looks back as he opens the door, ignoring the protestations of the clockwork humanoids...

farothel
2022-01-26, 05:20 AM
"You're last instructions date from almost 10000 years ago," Laurelata said, trying to keep them occupied, "everybody that ever worked here is dead. We might actually be descendants of those people."

u-b
2022-01-26, 01:33 PM
Henri opens the door into what seems to be a dark chamber, mostly featureless except for a large ring of an unusual-looking metal embedded in the floor. Henri goes not get to examine the ring more closely as this is the time he gets punched in the breastplate with considerable force. The other clockwork also stands up and seems ready to defend itself from any aggression.

https://i.postimg.cc/kXMQQgbL/image.png

Clockwork humanoid vs Henri: (1d20+6)[16] (1d4+6)[8]
=> Party

DarkOne-Rob
2022-01-26, 11:11 PM
Henri (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2368101)
Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 3, Init 1 (+2 in Jungle), HP 26/30, Speed 20 ft
AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 5, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
Greataxe +5 (1d12+12, 20/x3)
Breastplate (+6 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Natural)
Condition Power Attack
"Alright, that's enough," grunts Henri as his armor stops the attack from the construct-man. "Boring conversation anyway..."

Activate Power attack and then attack: Greataxe [roll0] to hit, [roll1] (20/x3), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage.

farothel
2022-01-27, 12:37 PM
'That's so unexpected,' Laurelata said as she whipped out her rapier, moved in and tried to poke the automaton in a spot where it would shut down. She also tried to see if they had a way to 'switch them off' as they said.

draw rapier and 5ft step to move in. Then attack [roll0] the automaton in front of me for damage ([roll1]) (I don't know if they are susceptible to it, but if they are: sneak attack [roll2]
looking for a way to shut them down: craft (clockwork) [roll3] or perception: [roll4]

Farmerbink
2022-01-28, 03:49 PM
Jessica focuses through her divine bond, and reaches out to the thread connecting her to Lightburn. "If you can get on the table, I can bless your efforts," she speaks- without opening her eyes. The eidolon feels a gentle pulse of the divine as Jessica calls upon her connection to Shelyn.

Lightburn gains Touch of Good: (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo-domains/good-domain/) +1 to most d20 rolls
F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 2, Init 2, HP 20/20, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
Glaive +3 (1d10+3, x3)
Supernatural Abilities:
Augery 2/2 (weekly)
Caravan Bond: All allies, including Lightburn
-Touch of good: 4/5
-Bit of Luck: 3/5
Consumables:
Spells:

Use Touch of Good on Lightburn. We're close enough I don't need to use the caravan bond, but I want to start writing that because it's the only thing I really get for not having armor- so it's kind of important. XD

SanguinePenguin
2022-01-28, 08:00 PM
Reaching inward, Taz grasps her power source. Whatever strength she could grab it worth before, she could feel herself holding onto it more tightly. The power surged through her... and it hurt. It felt like standing in rushing river, but her very being was in danger of being swept away. Whatever force kept her mortal coil solidified was in danger of giving out. Part of her knew she could grasp on more tightly, it would hurt more - so much more - but she could draw more power if she needed.

She could feel her hair and clothes getting wet and water dripped off of her as she stepped forward after Laurelata. With a contained shout through clenched teeth, she launched a blast past the other woman and at the far automata. The power behind the shot nealy threw her off balance, as it was so much more forceful that anything she had experienced yet.

Free: take (and store) one point of burn - +1/+2 to att/dam of blast, also +5 cold resist.
Move: to where Laurelata was
Standard: water blast on the far clockwork man (through cover likely)

F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 23, Init 2, HP 33/33 (NL 3), DR Cold/pressure - 6 (1), Speed 20 / 20 (swim)
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 14, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2
PBS Water Blast +6 (2d6+9, x2)
Dagger +3 (+4 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
Heavy Pick +3 (1d6+1, x4)
Condition Burn 1
Having a swim speed grants a +8 bonus on some swim checks (most others are not needed)

DaOldeWolf
2022-01-31, 12:40 AM
Lightburn nods and jumps in to attack following the suggestion given by Jessica. Hewitt decides to not waste the little magic he has left yet and just observes.

Bite : [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

u-b
2022-01-31, 12:48 PM
Henri swings his greataxe around, hitting the desk, the shelf, and not much else. Laurelata cannot see a visible switch anywhere on the clockwork hunamoid. The closest thing she can see is a rectangular plate held in place with four screws that seen to have no other purpose than to be unscrewed. You would be screwed trying to get it unscrewed in the circumstances. Laurelata tries to stab it, but she spent too much attention on hitting this rectangular plate and forgot to take in the account that a telegraphed attack would be too easy to defend against, which the clockwork hunamoid easily does. Jessica stands in the back, aiding the others however she can. Tazmara gets herself and the surroundings noticiably wet and blasts a hole in the chest of the far clockwork hunamoid. This reveals quite a lot of internal structure and gears and such, but so far something in it is still working. Lightburn gets in, jumps on the table, avoiding incoming attack, and makes an attempt to bite the nearest clockwork hunamoid. Biting the metal feels unlike biting some living thing, but at least the metal bends, so it should be effective. The clockworks attack, but only the western one is able to actually hit Lightburn in the chest, breaking a rib, it seems, as it hurts quite a lot. The eastern one again hits Henri's armor.

https://i.postimg.cc/Zqzw4WrJ/image.png

Slam: (1d20+6)[12] for (1d4+6)[8] AoO Lightburn
Slam: (1d20+6)[18] for (1d4+6)[8] Lightburn
Slam: (1d20+6)[12] for (1d4+6)[9] Henri
=> Party

farothel
2022-01-31, 01:41 PM
When Taz blew off the plate, Laurelata noticed the clockwork inside. So she stabbed at that, trying to get her rapier into the cogs to block them and hopefully doing a lot of damage.

Attack: [roll0] for damage: [roll1]

Farmerbink
2022-01-31, 04:50 PM
"Henri, I'm with you!" Jessica calls, channeling her divine power into the conduit between them.

Henri gains Touch of Good: (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo-domains/good-domain/) +1 to most d20 rolls
F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 2, Init 2, HP 20/20, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
Glaive +3 (1d10+3, x3)
Supernatural Abilities:
Augery 2/2 (weekly)
-Touch of good: 3/5
Consumables:
Spells:

Use touch of good on Henri

DarkOne-Rob
2022-02-02, 12:07 AM
Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 3, Init 1 (+2 in Jungle), HP 26/30, Speed 20 ft
AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 5, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
Condition Power Attack
Touch of Good
Henri's nod is the only recognition he affords to Jessica, though he seems intent to use her blessing to good effect...

DaOldeWolf
2022-02-02, 02:14 PM
Lightburn is hurt but keep on going. "I wont fail." Lightburn claims trying to shrug off the damage and keeping fighting. He goes to attack the automaton that hurt him.

Bite attack [roll0] Damage : [roll1]

SanguinePenguin
2022-02-03, 03:32 PM
Maintaining her hold on the power source becomes easier, but the feeling is still quite intense for Tazmara. The physiological consequences, mostly a wetting of everything on her, remain strong. As a puddle begins to pull at her feet, she launches another powerful blast at the closer autonoma.

Free: maintain point of burn - +1/+2 to att/dam of blast, also +5 cold resist.
Standard: water blast on the closer clockwork man (through cover likely)
Attack: [roll0] (cover not included)

F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 23, Init 2, HP 33/33 (NL 3), DR Cold/pressure - 6 (1), Speed 20 / 20 (swim)
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 14, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2
Condition Burn 1
Having a swim speed grants a +8 bonus on some swim checks (most others are not needed)

u-b
2022-02-05, 08:53 AM
Laurelata stabs the nearest clockwork humanoid for 5 damage. Jessica blesses Henri's attack, which goes wide anyway. Lightburn's attack goes wide too. A powerful stream of water blasts past Laurelata, past two clockwork humanoids, past Henri, and into the eastern wall. The clockwork humanoids fight back. The eastern fumbles on wet floor and comes nowhere close to hitting Henri. The western does much better. It hits Laurelata in the chest. Hard. Having taken 9 damage, Laurelata doubts she would be able to do any fighting after another hit like this.

Slam: (1d20+6)[23] for (1d4+6)[9]
Slam: (1d20+6)[7] for (1d4+6)[9]

I see that neither Hewitt nor Lightburn have been updated when the party hit level 3.
I would like them updated some time before Spring.
=> Party

Farmerbink
2022-02-05, 12:21 PM
"Shelyn, protect us!" Raising her symbol high, Jessica calls down a pulse of warm, healing energy

Glaive +3 (1d10+3, x3)
Supernatural Abilities:
Augery 2/2 (weekly)
Channel energy: 4/8, 2d6
-Touch of good: 3/5
Consumables:
Spells:

Channel energy for [roll0] HP to everyone but the machines

farothel
2022-02-05, 04:57 PM
Laurelata screamed when she was hit, but she quickly regained her senses when Jessica's healing energy revitalised her. Going at it again, she tried to hit the construct again.

F CG Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 3, Init 9, HP 18/15, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 15, Fort 1, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 2
Rapier +5 (1d6+3, 18-20/x2)
holy, reliquary, Str+1 composite longbow +1 (20 arrows) +5 (1d8+1 (+2d6), x3)
dagger +5 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
Condition None

DarkOne-Rob
2022-02-05, 06:09 PM
Condition Power Attack
Touch of Good
With a grunt of frustration Henri swings his two-handed axe again, trying to connect with the water-slick constructs.

DaOldeWolf
2022-02-07, 01:07 PM
Hewitt stays back still wanting to keep the last of his magic. Lightburn in the meantime keeps fighting the automatons with fierce determination.

Slam: (1d20+6)[23] for (1d4+6)[9]
Slam: (1d20+6)[7] for (1d4+6)[9]

I see that neither Hewitt nor Lightburn have been updated when the party hit level 3.
I would like them updated some time before Spring.
=> Party

Attack (bite): [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

I have the changes up in private, I am just waiting till the end of in game day to update the changes. :smallbiggrin:

SanguinePenguin
2022-02-07, 11:46 PM
The pain subsists and, from her frustration at missing her target, Taz emits a half-growl, half-scream through her clenched teeth. "RRRROAAAAAAWWWWWW," she fires another blast and gains a bit more control of the feelings, "WWWLLLllll...."

Standard: water blast on the closer clockwork man (through cover likely)

Condition Burn 1

u-b
2022-02-10, 01:09 PM
Jessica heals the wounded companions, which seems to be a good move as everyone fumbles, misses or just gets their attack narrowly dodged resulting basically in the same thing, which is getting a prolonged one-sided fight. The other side does not seem to be made to cause excessive amounts of damage however, even if it manages to hit more or less consistently. Henri gets punched in the shoulder for 7 damage, but at this rate is not in danger of dying anytime soon. Laurelata has more success defending herself, though to be sure the clockwork was somewhat distracted by Lightburn.

Slam: (1d20+6)[18] for (1d4+6)[7]
Slam: (1d20+6)[8] for (1d4+6)[8]
=> Party

farothel
2022-02-10, 01:32 PM
"Stand still and die already," Laurelata shouted as she tried to destroy the automaton.

AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 15, Fort 1, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 2
Condition None

SanguinePenguin
2022-02-10, 03:24 PM
The intensity of the source back under her control, Taz breathes heavily before firing another shot past Laurelata and at the second clockwork man.

Posting quickly while I have a minute to preempt holding the game up in a few days.

Standard: water blast on the further clockwork man (through cover likely)

Condition Burn 1

DarkOne-Rob
2022-02-11, 09:32 PM
Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 3, Init 1 (+2 in Jungle), HP 19/30, Speed 20 ft
Condition Power Attack
"Damn it..." growls Henri as he tries, yet again, to connect with his two-handed axe...

DaOldeWolf
2022-02-13, 11:47 PM
Lightburn keeps trying his best to keep the automatons busy. He roars as he opens his maw to shred one of them apart.

Bite: [roll0] Damage [roll1]

u-b
2022-02-16, 12:39 PM
Laurelata gets the nearest clockwork pierced through the torso. The rapier does not penetrate too deep, but there is a satisfying grinding sound, so that should be some good. Tazmara blasts another jet of hyper-accelerated water past everyone. The good thing was it hit neither Laurelata nor Henri. The bad thing was it did not hit the clockworks. The eastern wall seems to suffer again, gaining more pits, but who cares... Not Henri, for sure. The half-orc finally does away with the new tradition of every serious attack missing and hits the eastern clockwork man across the chest, cutting it deep all the way and scattering the gears across the floor from the body that seems finally unable to function. Lightburn keeps attacking the other one, but the target defends. The clockwork man tries to punch Laurelata in the face, but the elf only had to lean back a little for the blow to pass by.

Slam: (1d20+6)[9] for (1d4+6)[10]
=> Party

farothel
2022-02-16, 01:06 PM
With the target still not destroyed, Laurelata attacked again, trying to get the one cog that would destroy the whole.

Condition None

DarkOne-Rob
2022-02-18, 05:42 PM
Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 3, Init 1 (+2 in Jungle), HP 19/30, Speed 20 ft
Condition Power Attack
"That's better!" Henri says with a smirk before he slashes at the remaining construct.

DaOldeWolf
2022-02-19, 12:34 AM
"Just one more, guys!" Hewitt cheered from behind. Lightburn kept on fighting and ganging up on the last enemy.

Bite: [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

SanguinePenguin
2022-02-19, 12:43 AM
With the first one fallen, Taz gets a blast of optimism, "nice... hit, Hen.. ri!" Her speaking is still a bit strained and she scowls when his next attack goes wide, but she launches a blast at the space the clockwork man shifted into.

Standard: water blast on the remaining clockwork man (through cover likely)

Condition Burn 1

u-b
2022-02-19, 05:56 AM
Laurelata makes a good stab for once, bending a couple gears inside the clockwork man's torso and seemingly paralyzing an arm. Henri makes a swing from another side, but the target seems wary enough of that axe after whai it just did, so ducks and evades. Lightburn's jaws close up on a point in the air and then, just as the clockwork man was raising up after ducking, a super-speed jet of water comes in, comes in, and lots of gears come out. Henri barely manages to raise an elbow in time to prevent getting a face-full of parts. He gets all wet though. The two clockwork men are on the floor, gutted and perfectly still.

farothel
2022-02-19, 08:05 AM
"Now that was interesting," Laurelata said as she went through the gears to see how they were build and to see if there was something interesting they might be able to use, maybe to make something that could watch out at night. That way they could use less guards if they had some sort of clockwork guard.

u-b
2022-02-19, 11:54 AM
Laurelata looks at the damaged duo. The one Tazmara splattered is clearly beyond repair. There is an intact head and two intact legs, but everything else is a total write-off. The one finished by Henri seems to fare better. You guess it would be possible to fix it, with a proper clockwork team in a proper clockwork lab in, like, a matter of months. Failing that, you have two arms, two legs and a head. The most promising parts are the heads. Laurelata is not sure whether they were the seats of consciousness, but they clearly have sensory gear, so maybe you could try to use that.

Know (arcana or engineering) 20 to say where they had the equivalent of their brains.
Craft (clockwork) 20 to make a head work (either as motion detector or as a complete construct, depending on the above). The same at +2 to do it on another head if the first one is a success. Each attempt takes a day and you can try more than once. There are limits of how many attempts you can make though: the heads have [roll0] and [roll1] hit points respectively and a failed attempt does 1d4-1 damage to the head.
Your call on how you want to use arms and legs. They have similar hit points and clearly no cognitive ability.

farothel
2022-02-21, 11:16 AM
"I might be able to get one of the heads working again, Laurelata said, "although I probably need the workshop here. It might be interesting to have one on a guard tower at the village as a night guard, programmed to sound the alarm if something come around. But it will be a long term project. I think we best let these here for now and continue exploring. We have to come back this way anyway and we can still take them with us then without having to carry them all the time."

Farmerbink
2022-02-22, 03:15 PM
"What a bizarre development," Jessica comments. "Were they even truly self-aware, or just... content to repeat some series of instructions forever?" She wonders at the fallen machines, her thoughts interrupted by Laurelata's commentary. "Oh, really? That... uh... I think that would be good?" She considers the constructs for a time, trying to make sense of the visible parts.

Know arcana? [roll0]

As Laurelata does likewise, and Henri keeps guard, Jessica's curiosity turns sour. "I didn't really expect for any of these parts to make sense to me, so I shouldn't be disappointed," she murmurs. "Still, I can't help but feel like these could provide a wealth of information, if only we can figure out how to get at it...."

DarkOne-Rob
2022-02-22, 09:43 PM
With a definitive motion Henri begins to shake off the water soaking his form, apparently not too bothered but also not wanting to squeak around as he walks. He dumps out both boots, one at a time, as the others inspect the fallen constructs before setting his attention back to the next door...

Perception [roll0]

DaOldeWolf
2022-02-23, 12:00 AM
After hearing Laurelata´s plan, Hewitt decides that he needs to assist on the subject matter too. "This sounds like a job for me, our magical expert. Lets see if I can help bring light on the subject. I will even use my last spell to help our goal."

Casting Identify:
Know. Arcana roll: [roll0]
Spellcraft roll: [roll1]

farothel
2022-02-23, 03:10 AM
Laurelata looked on as Hewitt checked out the magical stuff. While she wasn't a mage, not by a long shot, she had some interest in magic and knew a few small tricks. And she hoped she could be able to at least partially rebuild some of them, so any information was good.

u-b
2022-02-23, 03:03 PM
The door leading north from the eastern part of this room is closed, but does not appear to be trapped. The constructs... well, you don't know much about them, but Hewitt is able to make some sense about the magics involved. It seems the constructs were not purely mechanical. Mostly mechanical, but not totally so. Hewitt thinks those and now broken things placed deep in the torsos behind thick removable covers were the seats of consciousness of those constructs. He thinks so because the heads seem not up to the task. Still, heads are, too, not purely mechanical and seem like they can do some processing too. Weak one though. Hewitt would speculate that the constructs would remain somewhat functional without the things in the torsos... mindless or such, but capable of something. And those things in the torsos might even have been optional. If so, this is good news, because a sensor as a mostly mindless programmable creature should be much more capable than a sensor utilized raw. Oh, and the limbs are totally dumb. Pure mechanical function. Hewitt is much more sure of that than of anything else.

DaOldeWolf
2022-02-25, 11:03 PM
hewitt tries his best to explain himself to Laurelata about what he could analyze and deduct of the automatons. "I hope this information helps you out on the construction of such beings. If you want, I would gladly assist in the creation of such beings." Hewitt replies trying to offer as much assistance as possible.

farothel
2022-02-26, 07:23 AM
"Sure, but that's going to be a long term project," Laurelata said, "let's get back to exploring. Maybe we get really lucky and find manuals for these things. That would help a lot. Anything up there, Henri?"

She left the parts where they were for now as they were too heavy to lug around and they had to get back this way anyway, so they could pick them up then. She moved to the door Henri had been looking at.

Farmerbink
2022-03-03, 09:37 PM
Jessica eyes Henri a bit warily. As Laurelata approaches the closed door, she speaks up. "Hold, just a moment please. I've still got access to much of Shelyn's power for today, so it seems prudent to use it." Smiling warmly, she conjures another comforting pulse of energy, happy to see some of her allies' injuries lessen.

This is my 5th of 8 for today, leaving 3 more.

[roll0] HP to everyone

DarkOne-Rob
2022-03-03, 11:34 PM
Henri smiles at the now-familiar feeling of healing flowing through him, nodding gratefully at Jessica. He shrugs at the questions and moves forward to deliberately open the door and see what is on the other side...

u-b
2022-03-05, 10:17 AM
Henri opens the door. Behind it is a single dark and featureless chamber with a large and unusual-looking metal circle embedded into the floor. It seems... not quite decorated as the ornamentation seems more like schematic or algorithm... at least it seems to be annotated to some extent, in Azlanti.

The thing seems to be a test rig for the constructs created or serviced here. The text briefly describes, without explaining, how to use the thing to achieve this and that, but mostly diagnostics. The thing you can immediately make sense of is "detect magic" mode, where everything placed inside the circle shines, to everyone, as if it was under effect of the spell. There are more modes of operation, but you'll have to spend even more time here, fiddling with some actual construct to really understand how they work.

farothel
2022-03-05, 10:25 AM
"I really start thinking of claiming this place," Laurelata said, "there's a lot of interesting stuff here. So what more do we have."
She looks closer at the construct. She's not going to spend hours looking at things, but some time to figure out the main stuff the things does.

Farmerbink
2022-03-05, 08:22 PM
Jessica immediately starts approaching the written notes. Listening to Laurelata on her way, she chuckles. "I don't know. Though the inhabitants have long-since passed on, it seems we'll have to fight for it, regardless."

As she's given a few moments to read the notes, she quickly discovers them to be instructional in nature. "Interesting... If I- wait, everyone back away for a moment. It occurs to me that even following the rules could be more dangerous than it... should." She gives her allies a moment to get a few paces clearance, before turning her attention back to the ring.

"I think this will make any magical items inside the circle appear as such- even to people who usually can't use the spell or see the auras...." She carefully places a small potion from her pack in the ring, and aligns the knobs according to the writings.

"If I understand it right, there's a.... well, we don't precisely have a word for this in common, but it's a word that roughly means "finding out what's wrong." It applies to.... complicated things- machines, like those figures in the last room. You could put them here and it would tell you why it wasn't working right. Of course, now it would probably say 'because you smashed it all up,' but if it was... not horribly broken, it might provide useful information." As she tinkers, she quickly finds the discovery to be quite invigorating. "We aren't really in a hurry, are we? Let's see what it says, anyway!" Assuming the party doesn't object, Jessica will go ahead and take the biggest portion of the destroyed constructs and place it in the circle, attempting to use the ring's diagnostic settings.

DaOldeWolf
2022-03-05, 09:55 PM
Hewitt adds "I really want to know what happened here. There is so much history waiting to be unvelied here. I just wish there were some records from the creators of this place. Anything that could help piece together the past of this advanced civilization." Hewiit decides to observe to Jesssica´s actions wondering if this will actually work.

u-b
2022-03-06, 01:26 PM
You set the metal ring on the floor to detect magic and place a potion inside. It shines as it should, and then continues to shine until you remove it from the circle. Those of you without magical ability now have first-hand experience of what an aura looms like, whatever good that experience might be. Then you set it to construct diagnostics mode and use it on an effectively destroyed construct. In fact, there are more than one mode, so you cycle them all. By the end of this you have the following info:
1. It is a clockwork servant, a generic humanoid model, sapient, S/N SS13454-121.
2. It is currently non-operational. The malfinctioning parts are: <a rather long list>.
3. To repair it, replacing the following parts is recommended: <one part number> (you scratch your heads on this, then decide this must be the whole torso assembly).
4. The service manual for this model should be at shelf location 4.7 at this facility (you check the shelf in the next room, where there is such a number, but at the specified location there's nothing but dust).

If you want more specific info, roll something apropriate (like engineering or clockwork) vs DC 10 to get it.

Farmerbink
2022-03-06, 10:24 PM
Jessica looks up from the empty shelf with an unreadable expression. "I... I don't know what to say!" she admits, with something like excitement. "I honestly didn't even expect to find this shelf, though perhaps I should have. It seems obvious the... creators here were meticulously detailed in their efforts- including the storage of instructions." She glances longingly at the ruined construct. "Just fascinating," she finally murmurs.

Content that there isn't more she can learn from the situation, she looks to her companions. "Any other ideas, or should we press on? I'm still pretty convinced we'll find some sign of the first wave further in. There's just no better explanation for that bit about '126 days ago.'"

farothel
2022-03-07, 06:48 AM
Laurelata was quite impressed with the machine and tried to figure out some more information. It was very interesting and if she ever wanted to make these kinds of automatons herself, she would need a machine like this.

craft(clockwork): [roll0]

u-b
2022-03-07, 01:37 PM
Laurelata fiddles with the controls, tunes the readings... well, it does turns out that building these machines is quite easy, whatever good does this knowledge give you: you just take a few parts with the specified part numbers, assemble them together just as described in a certain part of the nonexistent manual, and presto! Having no contracts with relevant suppliers, Laurelata dives deeper. The circle readily displays that any of those part numbers can be assembled from a number of other part numbers, also according to the same manual. She learns that some spells must be cast to make this thing work - the parts can be ordered with them pre-cast or thay can be cast on-site. Laurelata dives deeper again. And again. Well, it ends with part numbers. Nowhere it says how to produce the smallest parts. All that she gets are references to documentation. Laurelata spends an hour diving through this and gets much better understanding of now the heads work (she's mostly interested in the heads how that she knows the information is incomplete), what are their most common malfunction modes and stuff like that.

+2 to work with those heads. The spells mentioned are geas/quest (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Geas/Quest), make whole (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Make%20Whole) and fox’s cunning (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Fox%27s%20Cunning) (the later being optional).

You can roll spellcraft or arcana 15 to see if you have other ideas.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-03-08, 09:11 PM
Henri watches the proceedings patiently but keeps an eye and ear out for signs of threats throughout the hour-long investigation of the strange circle.

DaOldeWolf
2022-03-08, 11:50 PM
Hewitt also decides to watch everything with Lightburn. "This is very fascinating. I kind of wonder what other marvelous things they were capable creating." Lightburn nods in agreement.

farothel
2022-03-09, 02:15 AM
"True," Laurelata said, turning away from the circle, "but I think we might better continue our investigation of the building. This we can come back to easily and maybe we find some manuals or other interesting things that can help us later."
She won't continue the investigation of the circle for now, but having made some notes, she will continue after they inspected the rest of the building.

u-b
2022-03-12, 01:09 PM
You proceed to the stairs, which, in fact, turn out to be a ramps, and rather steep ones. Lightburn quietly warns you about a fishman ahead. You prepare for combat and advance with care. You do not see any fishman, but then a shadow appears on the floor and a fishman casting that shadow reaches down from above with a glaive to chop at the head of whoever is in the lead...

https://i.postimg.cc/JnydRS8b/image.png

I am not sure who is in the lead, so go ahead and choose the victim. He will be in AW18.

Fishman init: (1d20+6)[23]
Party leader init: (1d20)[5] (+X)

Fishman glaive: (1d20+11)[27] for (1d10+7)[16] (incl. higher ground; vs full armor, but will hit anyway)

The fisherman has lover body covered: +4 cover vs reach weapons, +8 cover vs non-reach weapons, +2 cover vs projectiles. You can fight on these terms, retreat, move forward while provoking AoOs, duck down out of reach (halves your speed and requires a withdraw maneuver to do safely), attack his weapon or invent something else. The guy seems competent enough and his glaive is very well made. The slope is not difficult terrain, you cannot run upwards, but can otherwise move normally.
=> Party (everyone, any order)

DarkOne-Rob
2022-03-12, 06:17 PM
Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 3, Init 1 (+2 in Jungle), HP 7/30, Speed 20 ft
Condition Power Attack
"Gah! Back down!" groans Henri as the creature's glaive cuts deep and his wounds threaten to overwhelm him. "If we can talk him down, do it, but I need healing before I try to charge past his guard!"

Henri is (suddenly) in single digits. Would like to retreat back down, using a withdraw action to duck down out of reach. He needs healing before charging up through an enemy guarding with a reach weapon...

farothel
2022-03-15, 03:34 AM
Laurelata fired an arrow at the guy to cover Henri's retreat and also to make the critter think about other things than taking out Henri.

shoot: [roll0] (cover not taken into account in the roll, will normally be done in the AC if I'm not mistaken)
damage: [roll1] (and [roll2] extra damage if the target is evil)

F CG Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 3, Init 9, HP 18/18, Speed 30
Condition None

u-b
2022-03-15, 01:00 PM
Laurelata shoots "somewhere that way" and everyone retreats back to the ground floor. You are not pursued. From where you are, you do not see the fishman. You also no longer see his glaive. Everything seems to be rather quiet as Henri continues to drip more blood on the floor.

DaOldeWolf
2022-03-16, 12:04 AM
Hewitt wonders about how and if they should proceed. "It seems like there is going to be more resistance up ahead. I just hope we have enough resources. I am out of my strongest magic."

SanguinePenguin
2022-03-16, 05:51 PM
Taz stares up the steps, bracing herself to fire when the creature charges. When no pursuit comes, she drops her guard. "That is a challenging ambush... Hewitt - could you summon a creature to take the hit?"

Farmerbink
2022-03-16, 10:38 PM
"Here, Henri. Let me help," Jessica murmurs as she approaches her injured companion. Scowling, she calls upon another blessing of Shelyn.

converting protection from evil into CLW: [roll0] HP. Then channeling for 8 HP (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25398500&postcount=541) Still 2 channels remaining.

"That would be fortunate if we can, Hewitt. It would save precious healing, though I understand Lightburn would have to... uh... wait? Somewhere else?" Clearly, Jessica isn't quite clear on the details, but recalls their earlier conversations well enough.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-03-18, 05:03 PM
Condition Power Attack
As his wounds seal up Henri looks better, though still not fully whole. With a glare he looks up the ramp towards his unseen attacker. "Summons? Better than one of us taking a strike like that one..." he growls unhappily.

Henri will hang tight, ready to defend anyone that gets attacked.

DaOldeWolf
2022-03-21, 12:16 AM
Hewitt nods. "Thanks for the assistance, Lightburn but we might need a distraction right about now. I´ll see if I can call you later back. Thanks for everything for the time being." Hewitt gently pats Lightburn in the forehead before dismissing it. "As for the creature, I suppose a wolf should suffice." Hewitt then uses his summon monster ability to call forth a celerstial wolf. "Go and attack the fishman awaiting ahead, please."

If it manages to find and reach the fishman on its turn, here is the attack roll (bite) [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

u-b
2022-03-21, 12:42 PM
The wolf hurries forward, up the ramp, to the right and out of sight. You hear a thud, a short yelp, and then silence.

If you want to follow, roll initiative. Rolls of 12+ get full round worth of actions, everybody else gets standard action this round.

=> Party

farothel
2022-03-21, 01:55 PM
Laurelata had switched to her rapier and as soon as the wolf left, she followed, staying as close to the wall as possible to get up before their enemies could recover.

move up following the wolf.
If I can get to an enemy: attack [roll0] for damage: [roll1] (if sneak attack applies: [roll2]
If not, double move to get into close combat.

Condition None

Farmerbink
2022-03-21, 08:22 PM
"Hurry, hurry!" Jessica urges. Following the summoned wolf and Laurelata up the ramp, she moves to engage with the fishman with perhaps surprising assertiveness.

F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 3, Init 2, HP 20/20, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 15, Fort 4, Ref 2, Will 5, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
Glaive +4 (1d10+3, x3)
Dagger +4/+3 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
Augery 2/2 (weekly)
Channel energy: 2/9, 2d6
Caravan Bond: (5/5) All allies, currently not including Lightburn
Touch of good: 3/5
Protection from Evil: 0/1

Move and attack seems the prudent play:
[roll0] glaive
[roll1] crit confirmation (24)
[roll2] damage
[roll3] crit bonus damage

DarkOne-Rob
2022-03-21, 08:49 PM
Condition Power Attack
With a shrug Henri hustles up the ramp behind the wolf, intent on violence once he gets to the top...

I don't think Henri can get into melee range, but if he can, he will. Power Attack with Greataxe: [roll0] to hit, [roll1] (20/x3), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage

SanguinePenguin
2022-03-21, 09:59 PM
Taz sprints up after everyone else and positions herself at the far side of the room ready to strike.

Double move, stand away from agressors

DaOldeWolf
2022-03-22, 12:17 PM
Hewitt stays in the back of the party for the moment especially in case te summon was dismissed and he needed to cast another one.

u-b
2022-03-22, 01:17 PM
The fishman seemingly did not expect this kind of charge, but it still takes some time to get around to reach him, so by the time you do that he is ready to act once again. He makes a step back and to his left, puting himself against a bookshelf on one side and the outer wall on another. He swings the glaive at Henri and the best the half-orc manages is to get a glancing blow against his breastplate. The fishman seems less than happy by that.

https://i.postimg.cc/K80L2LVY/image.png

Fishman glaive: (1d20+11)[17] for (1d10+7)[12]

Hewitt is at the bottom of AV18.
=> Party

farothel
2022-03-22, 01:36 PM
"Let's swarm it," Laurelata said as she moved closer cautiously and tried to stab the fishman.

free action: 5ft step to AV19
attack [roll0] for damage: [roll1]

Condition None

DarkOne-Rob
2022-03-22, 02:29 PM
Condition Power Attack
With a grim nod Henri moves forward, deliberately taking any attacks from the enemy so his allies can help him surround the attacker. He raises his axe high for an overhand strike!

Henri will move to AT-19 (likely incurring an AoO) and Power Attack with his Greataxe: [roll0] to hit, [roll1] (20/x3), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage

SanguinePenguin
2022-03-22, 05:21 PM
With a grunt, Taz draws in a bit more power and launches a powerful blast of water attempting to shove the fishman onto uncertain footing.

Move: channel
Standard: pushing infusion water blast on the fishman (attempt push to AT18)
Attack: [roll0] (cover not included if needed)
(if attack hits) bull rush: [roll2] (cover not relevant)

Condition Burn 1

DaOldeWolf
2022-03-27, 01:45 PM
"Can anyone see if the summoned wolf is still there?" Hewitt requests as he waits to see if there is going to be the need for another summon.

u-b
2022-03-29, 01:03 PM
Laurelata's attack almost gets the fishman, but he dodges enough for the rapier to just glance off his scales. With the fishman's back to the wall and his near side covered, Henri decides to cut the fishman's possible retreat and cover the other side. He catches a nasty blow by the glaive for 11 damage and, berely holds himself together while swinging the axe, which results in a wide enough miss. A jet of water speeds past the combatants and hits the bookshelf. This causes some damage, but not to anyone involved, which might be good or bad depending on how you look at it. The fishman, locked into close combat, drops the glaive and attacks Henri with both claws and teeth, landing only the bite, but for a solid chunk of Henri's cheek, causing 7 damage and prompting an urgent reevaluation of the situation at hand.

Fishman glaive AoO (1d20+11)[25] for (1d10+7)[11]
Claw (1d20+7)[8] for (1d4+2)[5]
Claw (1d20+7)[13] for (1d4+2)[3]
Bite (1d20+7)[19] for (1d6+2)[7]

Henri is at AT19. Laurelata is at AV19, the others don't really move.
=> Party

farothel
2022-03-30, 01:21 PM
Trying to distract the critter from Henri, Laurelata attacked again.
"Try to get to the other side," she shouted to the others, "so it has to split its attention."

move action: speak
attack [roll0] for damage: [roll1]

Condition None

DarkOne-Rob
2022-03-30, 04:13 PM
Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 3, Init 1 (+2 in Jungle), HP 1/30, Speed 20 ft
Condition Power Attack
With gritted teeth Henri grunts, "Healing, please!" as he waits for a chance to strike at the enemy. Once any healing is delivered he swings his axe and then steps back, out of melee.

Delay turn until Jessica (hopefully) delivers some healing, somehow.

Then he uses Power Attack with his Greataxe: [roll0] to hit, [roll1] (20/x3), [roll2] slashing damage, [roll3] critical strike damage.

Finally, 5-ft step to AS20

Farmerbink
2022-03-30, 04:30 PM
Jessica dutifully calls upon shelyn once more to heal everyone but the nearby fishman.

F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 3, Init 2, HP 20/20, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 15, Fort 4, Ref 2, Will 5, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
Glaive +4 (1d10+3, x3)
Augery 2/2 (weekly)
Channel energy: 1/9, 2d6

[roll0] HP

SanguinePenguin
2022-03-31, 05:32 PM
With the fishman's polearm discarded, Taz moves forward toward the fray and launches another jet of water at the fishman from a better angle.

Move: to AV20
Standard: water blast on the fishman

Condition Burn 1

u-b
2022-04-03, 01:17 PM
Laurelata stabs the fishman in the chest for 8 damage. Henri also hits, but is too busy breaking the contact and so the wound caused by a mighty swing is long, but not too deep, for "only" 13 damage. Jessica channels in 6 healing, but if things go at current rate, that seems nowhere close to enough. Taz repositions herself and blasts another powerful jet of water straight at the bookshelf. The fishman picks up the glaive to swing it at Henri...

Laurelata can make an AoO, which normally would not be enough, and then...

Fishman glaive: (1d20+10)[23] for (1d10+7)[16]

Ouch. Henri out.

https://i.postimg.cc/L69yydTk/image.png
=> Party

farothel
2022-04-03, 03:10 PM
Clearly her distraction hadn't worked, although she did try to take it out, by trying to stab it when it picked up its weapon and then again.

AoO: [roll0] for damge: [roll1]
attack [roll2] for damge: [roll3]

Condition None

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-03, 04:42 PM
Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 3, Init 1 (+2 in Jungle), HP -10/30, Speed 20 ft
Condition Prone and dying
Henri collapses from his wounds, bleeding on the floor.

To stabilize (DC 10 Constitution Check with a penalty = to negative HPs): [roll0]

Edit: failed, so he lost another HP and is at -10 HPs. Five rounds from death...

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-03, 08:00 PM
After the fishman picks up the glaive and drops Henri, Taz clenches her teeth in anger. The creature branishes the glaive at her in an aggressive fashion. Not wanting to get hit, she considers jumping back, but instead dashes forward firing a shot when just inches from the fishman.

5 ft step to AU19

Condition Burn 1

DaOldeWolf
2022-04-04, 12:26 AM
Hewitt makes a new summon to assist his companions. Once again summons a celestial wolf and asks it to move forward and attack the fishman ahead.

Bite: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

u-b
2022-04-07, 12:32 PM
Laurelata did not quite expect the fishman to pick up the glaive again just after he dropped it, so she was not prepared to seize the opportunity, and when that glaive is used for good effect, she finds herself even less prepared be the only melee person to face that opponent, waving her rapier somewhere his way, with the effect of achieving nothing... but then Tazmara joins in and blasts a hole in the fishman's side for 13 damage, the thinly dilluted blood and dispersed parts of intestines splattering everywhere... the fishman gets a bite of her, for 4 damage, dealing not nearly as much as he got. Then even more reinforcements appear - a wolf, and bithing solid chunk of fishman's leg, for 6 damage, and you start to see some shadow of doubt... not so much on your opponent's "face", but by his stance and such. He drops the glaive again, and goes all-in against Tazmara... he deals 6 and 10 and 3, clawing and biting the dwarf, like, all over... and then you are washed by a wave of healing energy, for 8 - not quite keeping with the rate of damage you are suffering, but clearly much better than nothing, and sort of giving you hope...

Bite AoO (1d20+7)[15] for (1d6+2)[4]
Claw (1d20+7)[18] for (1d4+2)[6]
Claw (1d20+7)[27] for (1d4+2)[4]
Crit (1d20+7)[24] for (1d4+2)[6]
Bite (1d20+7)[15] for (1d6+2)[3]

Channel (2d6)[8] (I'm spending one for Jessica)

https://i.postimg.cc/J41Kj8j9/image.png
=> Party (but Henri is still out)

farothel
2022-04-07, 12:37 PM
This was clearly not going well, but now it would be difficult to withdraw. Feeling the healing energy, Laurelata knew Henri would be okay, so she could concentrate on getting this enemy out of the way.

attack [roll0] for damge: [roll1]

Condition None

Farmerbink
2022-04-07, 02:56 PM
"Finish him quickly!" Jessica calls urgently. For the first time in her adult life, she can feel that her connection with Shelyn has been tapped- she's simply not capable of drawing further upon the pure energy of her goddess' power. Instead, she considers the morning's meditation and abandons her last prepared spell. "Henri, we need you!!" she comments, almost frantically, as she converts a blessing into pure holy energy.

Glaive +4 (1d10+3, x3)
Augery 2/2 (weekly)
Channel energy: 0/9, 2d6
Bless: 0/1

converting bless to CLW: [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-07, 07:50 PM
Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 3, Init 1 (+2 in Jungle), HP 2/30, Speed 20 ft
Condition None
With a grunt Henri's eyes open. He looks up from the floor, realizes the danger he's (still) in, and rolls away from the enemy before trying to get back to his feet!

Crawling away (which incurs an AoO...his AC will be at 14 while prone...) to AR21. If he makes it there without being dropped again he will stand.

Crawling
You can crawl 5 feet as a move action. Crawling incurs attacks of opportunity from any attackers who threaten you at any point of your crawl. A crawling character is considered prone and must take a move action to stand up, provoking an attack of opportunity.

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-09, 06:31 PM
Reeling from her nascent injuries, Taz jumps back and fires another powerful blast at the fishman.

5 ft step to AU20

F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 23, Init 2, HP 18/33 (NL 3), DR Cold/pressure - 6 (1), Speed 20 / 20 (swim)
Condition Burn 1

u-b
2022-04-10, 01:19 PM
Your coordinated efforts finally get the fishman - a nice little hole in the chest and then said chest is literally blown apart by a super-speed jet of water. Both Laurelata and the wolf are splattered with what came out of the fishman. The wolf, actually, does not seem to mind, making a few more bites and chews if not stopped. The question is, what you do next...

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-10, 02:29 PM
Narrowly avoiding the gore splatter from where he stands, Henri gasps in obvious pain at his wounds. With a nod of thanks to Jessica he stows his axe and looks around. "Is there anything more here planning to gut us?" he asks quietly, the question partially rhetorical and partially serious, as he doesn't trust the unfamiliar magic/tech around them. "We need to find a safe place to rest and stop. I can't take any more..."

Perception: Take 20 for a 29 or [roll0]

Farmerbink
2022-04-10, 02:31 PM
Jessica is visibly relieved when their foe falls. As she hurries to Henri's side, and helps him rise, she nods and finds her own voice- a more flustered display than any have yet seen from her, even when she nearly died herself. "I couldn't agree more. Really, I must insist we find a way to rest. If I have a few minutes, I can call upon Shelyn's power only one last time today- and not for anything extravagant. We'll be well protected from the elements in here, and at least as defensible as anywhere else we've slept in weeks."

farothel
2022-04-10, 02:42 PM
"Not a bad idea," Laurelata said, while checking if the fishman had anything interesting, "Let's finish our recon of this floor and then set-up camp to the side where we can't be taken from behind."

She would head to the double doors and listen to hear if there was movement behind them. She would also check them for traps.

perception on the door to hear: [roll0]
perception for traps: [roll1]
disable device if traps: [roll2]

DaOldeWolf
2022-04-10, 11:02 PM
Hewitt finally reunites with the party. "Agreed. I am almost tapped out myself. And basic magic and a couple more summons aint going to make it far...." Hewitt actually complains outloud.

u-b
2022-04-11, 12:38 PM
Nothing animate seems to be active on this floor. Henri suspects the upper level is not empty, but cannot provide much in the way of details as the sounds are not very loud. The doors leading to the central room seem neither locked not trapped and even out of it there is a lot of stuff, including full shelves of books, but that would require time to sort out...

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-12, 09:25 PM
Henri looks behind him, notes the lack of sound from that way, and walks around to check and find the dead end. He returns a moment later and gestures at the pair of doors. "I'll listen, but if it sounds bad someone else needs to open it...or block it," he says as he leans down to listen.

Perception [roll0]

u-b
2022-04-12, 11:09 PM
There still seems to be no sound coming from behind the double doors.

farothel
2022-04-13, 11:42 AM
"I'll go first," Laurelata said. As soon as everybody was ready, she opened the doors and looked in without going into the room.

u-b
2022-04-13, 12:08 PM
The sight beyond the doors is somewhat unexpected as things go, but Laurelata probably did not have precise expectations, so...

Along the perimeterof this room is an octagonal walkway illuminated by a soft, pervasive light. The only major, and overwhelmingly dominant, feature is another chamber inside this area, which has transparent walls and appears to be filled with gently bubbling water. This cistern or tank appears to extend up into the next floor, although there is a stone ceiling 15 feet above this external walkway. Valves of various sizes cover the floor of the tank, leading to pipes and hoses that lead somewhere into the tower. The water inside seems surprisingly clean. On the east side of the tank is a transparent door, complete with an opaque handle. You are not sure you can make sense of a vertical door leading into a lower part of a large water-filled tank.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-13, 07:59 PM
Henri looks into the room and mutters, "I'm so out. I'm going down the ramp to hole up in the room with the broken...people? We can lock that door, rest, and recover..." Then he begins to do just that, apparently expecting the others to join him.

Farmerbink
2022-04-13, 08:18 PM
Jessica nods soberly. "That's an interesting looking room," she murmurs, "but I'm in no position to help if anything goes wrong. I agree with Henri." She follows the ranger down the ramp, obviously eager to rest and recover.

farothel
2022-04-15, 02:13 AM
Laurelata wasn't sure what to make of that strange room. And with the others wounded as they were, she also understood that now wasn't the time to continue investigating. So she shut the doors again and followed the others to the small room and the lab. There she would spend the rest of the day looking at the automatons they had destroyed, making notes and starting to make headway on figuring them out, probably with Hewitt's help if he wanted.

One of the things she would do is pile up some stuff on the inside of the door, so that if the door was opened, there would be a lot of noise and they would hopefully wake up.

u-b
2022-04-15, 03:54 AM
You barricade in the eastern room on the first floor and spend the rest of the day and the night. You are not disturbed during that time. Laurelata has some fun with the clockworks. The one barely surviving torso seems to have a reprogramming circuity. The other likely had it too. Laurelata cannot make much sense of the thing, but seems it was not set to factory defaults, whatever that means.

You rest and restore your magics. Everyone spend a day's worth of water and food. Anyone unable has to either ask for some or be fatigued for the rest of the day.

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-15, 07:30 PM
Taz eyes the strange door. "I have creeping suspicion that opening that door would somehow not flood the room with water... but if it does, it would be too much for me to control. " She glances at her wounds, only partially healed, not actively bleeding any longer, but still pretty bad, "I could use the rest too."

---

After a night of rest, Taz looks over her wounds with a grimace. Turning to Jessica, she says, "I think I might need some more healing. Maybe I shouldn't get near the fishmen in the future..."

Jessica has create water, so I will assume that covers water. Taz has some extra rations if anybody needs one.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-16, 08:25 PM
Henri stands a watch, in spite of his wounds and discomfort, partaking of the generosity of his companions for both water and food. "I'll pay you back for this," he tells Taz with a tusked smile. When Jessica uses her last healing spell for the day on his wounds he thanks her too. "When you're up in the morning, I think I will need more. Thank you in advance..."

The next morning he wakes groggy and sore, with an orcish body odor that he's not proud to share. He waits quietly for the others to be ready and looks to Jessica hopefully for more divine healing...

Henri is at 12/30 HPs.

Farmerbink
2022-04-17, 07:59 PM
Before calling it a night, Jessica retrieves her medicine bag. "I'm fairly well-versed in mundane care as well," she offers. "It doesn't have the same kick, and it'll take a few hours to feel better, but we're not going anywhere anyway, right?" Over the next several minutes, Jessica becomes more and more agitated as both Tazmara and Henri respond to the negative when prompted for progress. "It's still not helping? You're kidding me!" she groans, exasperated.

It's a very frustrated (and useless-feeling) priestess who sulks sullenly in the corner before finally nodding off to sleep.

In the morning, she stuffs her annoyances from the previous day in a secret hole where no one will ever find them, and quickly retrieves a small prayer book. "If you don't mind joining me," she suggests, while the rest of the party breaks their fasts on dried rations. "As Shelyn wills, I can draw upon her power anew this morning." With a few brief gestures and words of supplication, she releases a pair of pulses of pleasant energy. Satisfied, finally, with her work, she takes a moment to renew the divine conduit she shares with her companions before digging into her own rations.

18 HP all around, rolled in OOC. I'm fairly confident we're all topped off, or very close to it.
She also has enough uses of caravan bond to apply it to everyone +Lightburn, and she will because it makes no sense to not and she traded armor for the ability. :smallwink:

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-17, 08:11 PM
The previous night
Henri politely, patiently, and without outward sign of disappointment submits himself to Jessica's ministrations. He shows no indication of his thoughts beyond answering her questions honestly before settling down for the night.

Continuing the new day
Henri nods and silently participates as directed in the worship, his familiarity with the efforts of chaplains (from his time in Golarion armies) making him comfortable with the process even if he doesn't overtly worship any deity. He does smile as his wounds are (fully) healed and then waits patiently for everyone to be ready to return to the efforts to explore the tower.

Once everyone is ready he again takes the lead, presumably guiding everyone back to the floor with the unusual water feature...

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-17, 11:26 PM
Taz shares in Jessica's frustrations as yet another bandage sloughs off her arm sopping wet. "Well, I'm sorry to have wasted your kit." Deep down she was a little happy that it also didn't work on Henri, so that she didn't have to once again blame her physiology for this.

------

In the morning, Taz joins the prayer to Shelyn, reciting some of it from memory. As a polytheistic celebrant of several gods, including the Eternal Rose, she welcomed the blessings from Shelyn whole-heartedly. "So much better! Thank you, Jessica. We wouldn't survive long out here without you!"

DaOldeWolf
2022-04-18, 12:17 AM
Well, since we are at a new level and we finally had the desired rest. The char sheets have been updated to the new level.

"Well, I suppose this will be better than nothing. I wish you all a good night then. "Hewitt feels worried about sleeping in a strange place but he knows he needs the rest to recover himself. He thinks about trying out a couple of ideas he had though about for some time. His own tiredness ends up winning and eventually he falls asleep.

------------------------------

In the morning, he gets ready to leap back into action. First by calling forth Lightburn who is glad to see that the party is safe and sound. While Lightburn goes to greet with everyone, Hewitt uses his time to recover his magic.

u-b
2022-04-18, 05:53 AM
The floor you've had your last combat on... well, seems mostly just as you left it. The site of the battle has dried up a bit, but not much else seems to be changed.

farothel
2022-04-18, 02:19 PM
"Weird," Laurelata said as she looked around, "I would have expected there to be more of those fishmen here, waiting for us."
She has a look around the room just to make sure there weren't any traps left/activated.

perception (+trapfinding): [roll0]

u-b
2022-04-18, 02:24 PM
Nope. No new traps or new anything anywhere in sight.

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-18, 03:18 PM
While she wanted to investigate the water, Taz heads toward the stairs quietly, "I'll have your back, Henri." She encourages the armored half-orc to take point. Were she not shredded to ribbons during about three seconds of combat just about 10 hours earlier, she might have offered to take the lead, but as such, she veered toward the rear.

Focused up the stairs and ready to react
Perception: [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-19, 03:58 PM
Before heading to the stairs, Henry carefully takes something (a pole, furniture, anything effective) and blocks the door to the strange water feature. Preferably he entwines it in the handles too, trying to prevent anything from coming out of that room to attack the party while their backs are collectively turned.

At the next ramp he takes a deep breath and looks back to be sure everyone is ready. Once he has all their attention he begins a slow countdown, using his raised right hand to demonstrate. 5-fingers, 4-fingers, 3-fingers...

Once he holds only a closed fist he silently rushes up the ramp as quickly as he can, intent on attacking anything that threatens him as he ascends higher into the strange tower...

DaOldeWolf
2022-04-19, 11:12 PM
"Lightburn, you should help them up front. Make sure to let them now if you detect any smells." Hewitt replies with Lightburn nodding in agreement."I´ll try my best to live up to everyone´s expectations." As soon as the group starts moving, he tries to stay at the front while Hewitt tries to stay at the back.

u-b
2022-04-20, 12:09 AM
Approaching the ramp leading up reveals that it is unobstructed and you see the domed ceiling of the whole tower. Lightburn does notice more things besides that. He smells two... fishy humans? They appear to still be there somewhere on the floor you are about to enter, but Lightburn can sniff tracks of one of them right under his paws. A female, it seems. Went down the ramp and back up some time ago. You don't see either of them from where you stand. Entering?

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-20, 03:40 PM
After Lightburn reveals what it smells Henri nods. Then he confirms the others are following and gets ready to charge up the stairs!

Yes, still go upstairs to enter the top floor.

u-b
2022-04-21, 01:13 PM
Henri gets to the upper floor closely followed by Lightburn. There he sees the upper part of the same tank, with another transparent vertical door on its eastern side. Beyond that is another transparent tank with a vertical door, this one small and empty. Next to him is sitting an armed and armored man. He seems to have noticed you, but does not say anything. There is also a woman to the north of the tank and she seems much more active. She approaches halfway, but not too close.

"Uhm, hello? Who are you? Are you here to save us?"

https://i.ibb.co/vhF8zRT/arkley.png https://i.ibb.co/qBQKrG3/haniver.png

Henri notices they two are sort of wrong. Too... slimy?

https://i.ibb.co/TLRpt3K/image.png

farothel
2022-04-21, 02:31 PM
Laurelata follows Henri up the ramp, weapon out just in case. She looks around when she arrives and doesn't see any fishmen.
"That depends," she said in the same language (if she can speak it), "who are you and what are you doing here?"

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-21, 03:07 PM
Taz follows up the stairs, water slowly seeping from her pores, when she sees the somewhat slimy woman before her. She is, however, very excited to see an actual person on the island. With less caution than Laurelata, she starts, “I’m Tazmara. What is your name? Are you from the colony? What are you doing here? We’ve killed the fishmen.”

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-21, 04:55 PM
Henri looks at the two figures suspiciously, not putting away his axe or speaking but also not moving to attack. "Lightburn - what do they smell like?" he asks quietly.

u-b
2022-04-22, 06:31 AM
They speak in a perfectly normal Taldane, also known in the Inner Sea region as Common. To anyone from Andoran, they don't even appear to have a foreign accent.

"I am Eliza Haniver... yes, from the colony. And this is Rayland." - she points at the man - "We, uhm, just stay here. We were forbidden to leave. Uhm, I don't know any of you. Was there a second ship?" She seems somewhat uneasy, with an eye on Henri and Lightburn whispering among themselves and on Lightburn in general.

The people definitely smell funny. Lightburn never smelled a thing of the sort. Definitely not normal humans, but he would not call them totally not humans either. And, he assures Henri, it's not just the smell of the stockfish, both eaten and not, that is present around.

Farmerbink
2022-04-22, 02:14 PM
Jessica hustles up the ramp, not too far behind- if much more naive. "There was a second ship!" she blurts excitedly. After a moment's reflection, she lowers her voice.

"Both of these folks were on that charter list we found," she murmurs, without taking her eyes off the slimy people. "Their names were checked off... (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25187766&postcount=1312) I'm still not sure what that means, but... it means something," she finishes lamely.

"Oh, and they didn't get along at all, (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24510191&postcount=377) remember? And she's a psychic! (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24549242&postcount=450)"

As the implications become apparent, Jessica's eyes widen and her grip on her glaive tightens. "Miss Haniver, who told you you weren't allowed to leave?" she calls. "We're actually specifically looking for colonists to help rescue. Hopefully you can help explain what happened to the first wave?" she asks, hopefully. "Please, any information you can give us will help more than you know."

We'll use my daily religion trait: inner beauty, for a +4 on this diplomacy check.

[roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-22, 04:10 PM
Henri nods at Lightburn first and then Jessica. "Reason to be excited, but there is something wrong about them now too. We need to be careful," he says before turning to the two figures. "What is happening to you both? Why are you so wet and slimy?"

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-22, 04:57 PM
”And Rayland Arkley, you were the leader of the first expedition,” Taz was initially less concerned about the slimy, drippy nature of them, after all, she had similar issues, but there was something cagey about their interaction that was slowly putting her on edge. ”Can you speak, Mr Arkley? Why is this water tank here?”

Can Taz see anything in the tank?
Perception: [roll0]

DaOldeWolf
2022-04-22, 11:22 PM
Hewitt wonders about the two but remains silent for the moment. He wouldnt want to make things a bit more difficult by joining in the conversation. He tells Lightburn to remain on guard in any case telepatically. Lightburn tries to pay special attention to how they act and how they speak trying to figure them out.

Sense motive: [roll0]

u-b
2022-04-23, 04:10 AM
Eliza remains wary - maybe of all the hushing going on, maybe of you being wary and maybe in general. "There was some... man? I mean, a person, pickled here in the smaller tank, completely motionless. Only when I opened it, it came out and... well... things are quite fuzzy after that, but I know I was told not to leave here. Rayland was dragged here by the fishmen. He does not seem to talk much. I don't know what is up with our skin. Some fishman disease? Does not seem to get worse, but does not seem to get better either. And... what do you mean "what happened to the first wave"? All of them?" She seems surprised by the notion.

Arkley lifts his head and responds to direct question. "Yes, I can speak. What she told you. Was knocked out asleep, woke up here. No idea about the tank." The man does not seem very happy talking or being rescued.

farothel
2022-04-23, 07:38 AM
Laurelata kept an eye on them to see if they were telling the truth. She looked at them trying to see if she knew what they were inflicted with.
"We can have a look and see if we can find a cure for it," Laurelata offered, "do you know if there are traps here, or can we approach."

sense motive: [roll0]
heal to see what the disease is: [roll1]

u-b
2022-04-23, 08:38 AM
"It's safe. I mean, I've walked all over this room and nothing has sprung on me after that one encounter, so it has to be safe."

Eliza lets you examine her. She is a lean young woman with long red hair, a fair complexion, and large, expressive green eyes. Her physical frame is slight, but that seems to be natural. Her skin is wet, slimy, and to some extent translucent. When looked up close, the exposed muscle tissue and circulatory system revealed by her partially transparent skin leave an impression of some grotesque horror.

Seems to be telling the truth, actually. No idea about the disease.

Farmerbink
2022-04-23, 09:44 AM
Jessica nervously approaches with Laurelata. "Have you eaten recently? I didn't bring much- we didn't expect to be out this long, but I can share some rations." She retrieves a pouch of wrapped foods from her package and offers it gingerly to whichever of the colonists first approaches to take it - or Eliza, if neither of them do.

"I'm a priestess of The Eternal Maiden, Shelyn. I'm well trained in medicine and magical healing. May I also see if I can help?"

Assuming they allow Jessica to inspect them and try to figure out the affliction: [roll0] heal
I doubt the offer of food constitutes a second diplomacy check. It's +9, if it does.

u-b
2022-04-23, 09:56 AM
"We have plenty of fish, though I almost wish we had less." Eliza grimaces. "Do you have spirits?"

She doe not hurry up to grab the ration, but lets Jessica examine her.

You are pretty sure this disease was not described anywhere but in ancient sources originating from Azlant, where it was, like, exceedingly rare, and the causes were debated but deemed non-infectious. The effects of this disease would be roughly as follows and any magical cure should help. It does not heal on its own and the medicine to cure it was unknown in the ancient Azlant (maybe because there was no need to find one).

A creature's skin and flesh transform into a clear, slimy membrane. The creature’s new flesh is soft and tender, reducing its Constitution score by 4 as long as the condition persists. If the creature’s flesh isn’t kept moist, it dries quickly and the creature takes 1d12 points of damage every 10 minutes. Remove disease and similar effects can restore an afflicted creature to normal.

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-23, 12:01 PM
“Yes, the whole colony had vanished by the time our ship arrived. Roughly what date did you both arrive here? Have you seen anyone else from the colony since coming here?”

u-b
2022-04-23, 12:20 PM
"Date, well..." - the question seems to have given Eliza some trouble - "It's hard to tell time here. Have been... months? He has sure arrived later. And then nobody else but the skum."

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-23, 08:49 PM
Henri watches and listens as the party speaks with the two infected members of the original wave, his face falling into passive observation while his mind tries to grapple with everything. He takes several deep breaths, quietly gathering his thoughts, and then turns to inspect the strange, water-filled compartment. "What is all this?" he asks Eliza and Arkley after a moment. "Does the water stay inside when the door is opened?"

u-b
2022-04-24, 02:00 AM
"The water? Yes, it stays in. We use the tank to wet out skins. There's an elemental living in there, but it does not harm us."

farothel
2022-04-24, 03:15 AM
"Interesting," Laurelata said, "do you know how many of these fish people are around here?"

It was not because they were at the top of the tower that there couldn't be a village somewhere nearby. And then they would have to take that down at some point.

u-b
2022-04-24, 03:34 AM
Eliza shrugs. "I don't know. Dozens? They don't stick around here though."

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-24, 05:06 PM
Henri looks at the tank suspiciously as the answer to his questions leaves him less confident of the party's safety. "Dozens of fish people...we should go before they arrive. Are we going to try and help these two? Take them back to the colony?" he asks his friends as he turns to look down the ramp as if concerned he will see more attackers approach at any moment.

farothel
2022-04-25, 12:15 PM
"I'm not sure what the reaction of the colonists will be," Laurelata said, "I mean, they're just farmers and crafts people and they're not used to these strange things. They might lash out when confronted with the unknown and you know that tension is already high at the moment. On the other hand, we can't really leave them here either."

She looked at Taz and Jessica.
"You think any of you can speak with that elemental," she asked, "maybe it can help us, even if it's only with information. And at the moment we're relatively safe as we can pull the same trick as that fishman yesterday did."

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-25, 12:30 PM
Taz looks stunned by the request. "Talk to... an elemental? What does that even look like?" She shakes her head. "No, I am pretty sure I can't."

DaOldeWolf
2022-04-26, 12:04 AM
"But I am not sure baout leaving them here either. Are they really safe in this place?" Hewitt replies wondering about what to do with the newfound people. "As for the elemental, I am sorry to say that I dont even know what their native language even is."

farothel
2022-04-26, 11:28 AM
"As far as I know each type of elemental has their own language," Laurelata said, "but the more experienced ones will hopefully speak another language."

She looked at the two first-generation colonists.
"You have spoken with it? If so, what language did it use?"

u-b
2022-04-26, 12:04 PM
Eliza shakes her head. "No. We don't share a languages and it's not very sociable to begin with."

Farmerbink
2022-04-26, 01:01 PM
Jessica frowns thoughtfully. "Surely the colonists would be pleased to have the original governor and another well-esteemed member of the first wave back. Remember, they were expecting to join an existing colony, not start one."

She turns to Eliza. "You asked another question that we didn't answer yet." She takes a deep breath- if this is new information to Eliza, their discovery may not be nearly so fortuitous as she hoped. "When we arrived, the colony was abandoned. You two are the first survivors we've yet found. Can you tell us anything about what happened before? Surely you must remember something!"

At mention of an elemental, and the ensuing confusion over their speech, Jessica smiles winsomely. "I ah- I actually might be able to speak with it," she offers. "It's been a while, but I spent some time with a pair of druids who taught me to listen to the waves. It's hard to make sense of it at first, but really beautiful once you know how it... well, flows." After entreating Eliza, she approaches the indicated tank. In Aquan, she calls out, "Hello in there? Can we talk for a moment?"

u-b
2022-04-28, 04:13 AM
Eliza shrugs. "Sure we can. Something or the other, though I'm not sure we'd quite agree on what that should be. But maybe better to do that somewhere safe and for the record, if you don't plan leaving us here, that is."

When Jessica tries to speak to the tank, Eliza notes: "You should open the door if you want to have any effect."

The water held in the tank does not rush out or anything. It just stands there as a vertical wall with a bit of ripple. Repeating the call is met with a distortion in the flow of bubbles in the depths of the tank, then near the open door and then... well, that's it. Nothing is said back at Jessica.

"Not quite sociable, you see. I told you."

Still, Jessica feels she gets some attention.

farothel
2022-04-28, 06:18 AM
"The elemental might be held captive here," Laurelata suggested, "maybe ask and if it is you can offer to release it in exchange for information. it might just not like being used as a bath to keep our friends here wet."

She didn't know much about elementals and she couldn't speak their language. And for now she wasn't going to spend her magic to understand, especially if the thing wasn't going to say something.

Farmerbink
2022-04-28, 08:51 PM
Jessica nods, of course. With the door open, she continues, though she struggles to make sense of where she should be looking, and precisely what she's addressing.

"If you can communicate, and care to, I would offer you our help as much as these two. I don't know what you might need, but I'm happy to offer what I can."

Diplomacy with the... water? I'm not sure if this is getting more ridiculous, or less. XD

[roll0]

u-b
2022-04-29, 05:04 AM
The water near the door swirls a little and there is some sort of response.

"You will be punished. Stay here and await the master or you will be punished bad."

This sounds more like an advise and less like a threat, but the elemental does not seem too eager to accept your offer.

Farmerbink
2022-04-29, 12:40 PM
Jessica starts, wide-eyed. After a moment, she blinks, taking some clear effort to process what she's heard. "Sorry, everyone, it's been a while since I spoke, much less dialogued in Aquan. And.... well, ixithil can be translated a few different ways...." She racks her brain for a moment longer.

"None of them are good, though. So, I'm not at all sure if the elemental is kept here against its will, but these two folks certainly are. There's something it-" she gestures into the tank- "calls 'master', with a.... very unpleasant connotation. It seems to think that our presence has already earned this 'master's' ire, and that if we leave now, it will be worse. All things considered, I think its perspective is... accurate, but I really really don't think we should wait here to find out what the master's punishment is going to be. We need to decide what we're going to do, quickly- including with Eliza and Rayland here, and be about it. I'd much rather enjoy the relative safety of walls and numbers than face such a threat in its own domain."

She glances around the room, increasingly uneasy. "let's head back to the camp, directly. I'll conjure water to keep our friends here nice and wet until we're at the coast where they can do it themselves. How does that sound to everyone?"

farothel
2022-04-29, 12:58 PM
"Sure," Laurelata said, "but can you maybe quickly ask that elemental who its master is? If there's someone here on the island that can control elementals, maybe we should know up front."

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-29, 01:17 PM
Taz turns to Eliza and Rayland, "do you know who or what this 'master' is? Have you encountered them?"

Sense motive: [roll0]

Farmerbink
2022-04-29, 08:14 PM
"It doesn't seem real forthcoming... I'll try."

Jessica turns back to the water. "Who's the master?" she asks, simply.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-04-29, 09:39 PM
Henri watches and listens quietly for some time, but when a new threat is described he steps to the ramp, looks down, and calls to Lightburn urgently, "Please help me guard the rear - I'd rather we not be surprised by this master..." He then puts the two original colonists and the water elemental out of his mind as he creeps down a bit to get a better look of the floor below and any potential approaches.

u-b
2022-04-30, 10:00 AM
Eliza shrugs and nods at the larger tank - "Ask it if the master is the one from the tank." - she then points at the smaller tank - "I don't think I'll be able to help you with any descriptions or such."

Rayland seems to ignore the question. Maybe he thinks that Eliza's answer is as good as it gets. The elemental, when questioned, says that the new master is indeed the one from the smaller tank, but refuses to disclose any additional information, seemingly out of fear for itself.

farothel
2022-05-01, 02:49 PM
Laurelata had a look in the small tank to have an idea of who or what this master dude was. She wasn't sure, but someone pickled and coming back to life sounded very undead to her. They weren't equipped to handle an undead of that strength, so she hoped it would be something else. But any clue was something or they might loose the entire colony.

Farmerbink
2022-05-01, 08:03 PM
Jessica nods soberly, thankful for the information they're able to get.

"Well, Eliza? Rayland? Do you want to return to the camp with us? I'm sure we can find a cure for your condition, given time to work on it."

u-b
2022-05-02, 03:09 AM
The small tank seems to be a very simple thing, if well-made: thick glass, a glass door with a fancy golden locking device attached to it (now opened), and that's about it. No pipes to run air or water through it, no other major features. Seems pretty much sealed when closed. There is no distinctive pickle smell, or any other notable smell, for that matter.

When you explain how you are going to transport them without them getting dry, Eliza and Rayland agree to return to the village.

Anything else to do in this tower or moving out and away?

farothel
2022-05-03, 02:43 AM
Except for collecting the stuff she wants to take with her to the town (like those automaton heads and some other spare parts), Laurelata is okay with moving back. she will keep an eye out for any ambushes and stuff like that on the way back, she she can't really help with keeping the two wet (except by using her waterskin, but the group too has to drink).

perception: [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2022-05-03, 03:43 PM
As the party (plus two) look ready to leave, Henri looks to Lightburn and asks, "Shall we?" Then with a deliberate, deep breath he begins leading the way down the ramp(s) towards the tower exit, possibly out of the ruins, and eventually towards the colony by the way they've agreed upon...

Farmerbink
2022-05-03, 10:06 PM
Jessica is more than a little relieved to leave the strange tanks behind. "It'd be a beautiful painting, actually, if it weren't so terrifying," she muses with a final glance at the oddities. "Gods willing, we'll come back under more pleasant- or at least less disconcerting circumstances...."

As the party descends, she prepares mentally to conjure lots of water to keep their strangely-inoculated companions doused. "This island just keeps getting weirder," she murmurs quietly.

SanguinePenguin
2022-05-03, 10:37 PM
Taz didn’t like this whole ‘master’ business. For some reason, the water elemental’s desire to stay behind really got to her. She also had a creeping suspicion that Rayland and maybe Eliza were not actually on their side. Then again… what could she do about it? All journey back, Taz helped to keep the two of them wet. With her gifts, it was easy. She also talked to the two of them - a lot - mainly because she wanted to remove that shade of doubt that was lingering.

[roll0]

DaOldeWolf
2022-05-03, 11:35 PM
Lightburn nods at te mention by Henri and helps at the front of the party to hopefully detect any threats. Hewitt remains on the back wondering about the situation. Hopefully, they would be as if not more accomodating to fellow humans even if they were a bit strange. He shares his thoughts with Jessica about the setting "The worst part are the disgusting abominations on the area. I just cant help but fill that the worst has yet to come."

u-b
2022-05-03, 11:51 PM
When you get out of the tower you notice that there was a storm during the night and the weather remains fairly windy, cloudy and even a bit rainy. As you trek towards the village, the wind blows most of the clouds away so you have to start using magic to keep Eliza and Rayland comfortably wet. You make a stop to have lunch. Tazmara, who has been trying to talk with Eliza and Rayland basically nonstop, finally reaches her decision, about Rayland at least. And it isn't pretty.

Sense Enchantment: You can tell that someone’s behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect even if that person isn’t aware of it. The usual DC is 25, but if the target is dominated (see dominate person), the DC is only 15 because of the limited range of the target’s activities.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-05-04, 02:57 PM
Henri tries to focus on his task, watching for threats and breaking a trail back home. In the back of his mind he keeps worrying about their new companions and their strange behavior, but he leaves that to his friends to deal with as much as he can. During lunch he sits and tries to enjoy a couple of minutes of peace as he watches and listens to their surroundings and, to a lesser degree, his party.

SanguinePenguin
2022-05-04, 03:17 PM
Taz keeps talking to the two slimy people as she gets them wet, as they walk, and as they eat. Finally, she reaches a conclusion about Rayland. She waits until she has the opportunity, and pulls the other party members out of ear shot. “Something is wrong with Rayland. I think… no, I know he is being controlled. His actions and behaviors are just not plausible for a person. I am certain of this. I worry what will happen if we bring him to the colony with that master’s hooks in him.”

DarkOne-Rob
2022-05-04, 03:43 PM
"You don't want to leave them, do you? Probably better to lock him up, right?" asks Henri quietly.

Farmerbink
2022-05-05, 12:17 PM
Jessica frowns, struggling to come up with a better solution. "For now, it's enough that we know. Don't trust him, and be ready to intervene. Make sure everyone knows- one at a time so our guests don't get wise." As Tazmara makes her lingering rounds at lunch, Jessica steps up to conjure some water for their odd guests.

"I figured I would give Taz a break. It's a bit of a walk still before we get back to the colony.... but I guess you must already know that? We've managed to recover everything built by the first wave, though we had to drive off some large insects and a weird tentacle-y thing..." She feels a bit awkward making small talk to cover for Taz, but only because she knows the danger. Still, it's more than easy enough for her to ramble politely enough.

farothel
2022-05-05, 12:28 PM
Laurelata had been scouting around to make sure they weren't ambushed.

"Could that 'hook' be magical," she asked, "maybe we can see what it is. That at least could give us an idea on how to get it out."

She looked at Rayland.
"Say, what happened when you arrived down here," she asked, "when we came here, as Jessica said, there were all kinds of weird critters. When did those start to pop up."

now she's warned: sense motive: [roll0]

u-b
2022-05-05, 12:54 PM
Rayland is slow to respond, but eventually says something. "Wilderness. Local wildlife. As expected. We could do with that much." Something they couldn't do with was left out of the answer, but it seems clear not to be local wildlife.

DarkOne-Rob
2022-05-06, 06:04 PM
Henri snorts at Rayland's answer contemptuously. "Then what happened to you two? What ran you out of the colony and into that tower?"

u-b
2022-05-08, 10:14 AM
"Was knocked out asleep. Told you." Rayland still does not seem very talkative. Eliza does a bit better. "I was exploring the island. Would not say anything "ran me out of the colony". In fact, was planning to return to the colony after the trip, it just didn't happen."

DarkOne-Rob
2022-05-08, 04:04 PM
"How long ago was that? Why didn't you go before we showed up?"

DaOldeWolf
2022-05-08, 09:09 PM
While Henri is speaking to the two, Hewitt decides to whisper to the rest of the party. "I might have something that could potentially release our guest from this control but it might fail. And I dont know how ur guests would react to me casting or even approaching them to do it."

farothel
2022-05-09, 01:21 PM
"We'll distract him and you cast from behind him," Laurelata whispered back, "no problem. Maybe a bit closer to the town though."