PDA

View Full Version : Urban Companion ACF + Obtain Familiar

Yogibear41
2021-12-16, 03:39 PM
If I am a multiclass Druid/Arcane Spellcaster with the Urban Companion Alternate Class Feature, and I take the feat Obtain familiar, do I have two separate familiars or do my Arcane caster levels now count toward my effective druid level for my urban companion.

Promethean
2021-12-16, 04:08 PM
If I am a multiclass Druid/Arcane Spellcaster with the Urban Companion Alternate Class Feature, and I take the feat Obtain familiar, do I have two separate familiars or do my Arcane caster levels now count toward my effective druid level for my urban companion.

Considering that there's a theurge class specifically for making familiar and companion bonus's stack, I don't think they'll stack in this case even with urban companion.

Thurbane
2021-12-16, 04:19 PM
I believe the general rules that apply are:

1.) You can't have two familiars unless a feat or class feature specifically says otherwise.

2.) Levels for familiar effects don't stack unless specified otherwise.

Having said that, I don't think it would be unbalanced to let all levels that grant a familiar stack by default for determining familiar abilities.

Yogibear41
2021-12-16, 04:50 PM
In the PHB under the familiar description for the sorcerer class: "levels of different classes that are entitled to familiars(such as sorcerer and wizard) stack for the purpose of determining and familiar abilities that depend on the master's level."

Elves
2021-12-16, 04:57 PM
Urban companion is functionally "identical to the sorcerer's ability to summon a familiar", but it's still a different ability. Nothing is stopping you from having both a familiar and an urban companion.

Promethean
2021-12-16, 05:02 PM
In the PHB under the familiar description for the sorcerer class: "levels of different classes that are entitled to familiars(such as sorcerer and wizard) stack for the purpose of determining and familiar abilities that depend on the master's level."

Wait, Really?

My view on this did a complete 180 then. Go ham OP.

Thurbane
2021-12-16, 05:16 PM

Wait, Really?

My view on this did a complete 180 then. Go ham OP.

Wow, yeah, I've always had that completely wrong! :smallredface: