PDA

View Full Version : Genie Warlock Bottled Respite and Teleport

Sepok
2021-12-17, 09:50 AM
My Genie warlock recently required a Helm of Teleportation and I was wondering how Bottled Respite could interact with Teleport.

1 - Can the warlock use Teleport to go into the Bottled Respite?
RAW
- The last line of the Bottled Respite entry says "Once you enter the vessel, you can't enter again until you finish a long rest."
- I take "entering" as using the Action to enter.
- The respite is a persistent extra-dimensional space since you can store things in it.
- It would count as "very familiar" to the warlock. And you could easily argue using "associated object" for the teleport success chance.
- But does it count as being "on the same plane of existence" for teleport? I would assume it's still in the prime material plane.

Assuming Teleport can be used for entry...
2 - Can you bring other people with you before you get the 10th level "Sanctuary Vessel" feature?
RAW - Looks like 'yes" as the first line specifically restricts this to "When you enter your Genie's Vessel via the Bottled Respite feature..." it's an addition to Bottled Respite, not a restriction on it.

3 - How long can you stay in it this way?
- Are you restricted to Proficiency Bonus x2 in hours?
- Or would the teleport entry method override the time limit?

4 - How do you exit the vessel if you entered this way?
- Would you need to teleport out if you entered this way?
- Or can you just use the bonus action method to exit?

5 - Does the physical vessel get left behind when teleporting in?
- I would assume so, otherwise it would get very confusing.

I was originally thinking of using Teleport to just be able to access the items I've left in the vessel more often. (Having something locked inside until after a long rest has come up.) But it could be used for giving other party members a safe resting place.

Let me know what you think...I need to be able to convince my DM to allow it. :tongue:

Rukelnikov
2021-12-17, 10:02 AM
Extradimensional spaces are extraplanar spaces, so Teleport shouldn't work, Planeshift should work though.

Quietus
2021-12-17, 10:02 AM
Bottled Respite states, "The interior of the vessel is an extradimensional space in the shape of a 20-foot-radius cylinder, 20 feet high, and resembles your vessel." As an extradimensional space, you cannot Teleport into it, you would need Plane Shift or other plane-hopping magic to accomplish that.

Valmark
2021-12-17, 10:03 AM
Teleport requires the location to be on the same plane so I'd say no. Plane Shift would work though.

Psyren
2021-12-17, 10:06 AM
No - the bottle is explicitly an extradimensional space (i.e. a demiplane), and teleport only transports you to another location on the same plane you're currently on. You cannot teleport from one plane to another.

Per DMG 68, you could "theoretically" plane shift there, but getting a tuning fork that works would prove difficult (read: be up to your DM). Gate however would definitely work as it only needs you to know the demiplane exists, but keep in mind that might go for enemies too.