PDA

View Full Version : Luckiest Halfling Luck Build

Chalkarts
2021-12-17, 03:13 PM
I'm a forever DM. I'm never going to get to play this character but i wanted to build it for the giggles. I want to take the Basic Lucky Halfling and blow it out. Aside from being a Divination wizard, are their any good feats or class abilities that would go above and beyond what's necessary?

Abracadangit
2021-12-17, 03:20 PM
I'm a forever DM. I'm never going to get to play this character but i wanted to build it for the giggles. I want to take the Basic Lucky Halfling and blow it out. Aside from being a Divination wizard, are their any good feats or class abilities that would go above and beyond what's necessary?

There's the Lucky feat (naturally), and then there's a smattering of class abilities that let you mess with rolls:

Lore Bard -- Cutting Words
Wild Magic Sorcerer -- Bend Luck
Fiend Warlock -- Dark One's Own Luck

There's definitely others out there, but those are the ones that spring immediately to mind. Definitely have to fluff the character as some kind of magical luckshifter, or else what's the fun.

Khrysaes
2021-12-17, 03:20 PM
Lucky feat, silvery barbs spell, foresight spell, bountiful luck feat, rune knoghts level 7 ability.

Chronurgy wizard level 2

Tides of chaos from wild magic sorc.

Clockwork sorc level 1 feature.

Saelethil
2021-12-17, 03:24 PM

Lucky and Bountiful Luck would be fitting feats. There are also a number of spells that could work well on a character that is learning to bend luck in there on favor such as guidance, silvery barbs, and gift of alacrity.

KOLE
2021-12-17, 04:13 PM
I plan on running a Divination Wizard 2, Wild Sorcerer X as this concept, picking up the Bountiful Luck and Lucky feats at some point. This is mostly because of my DM’s house rules that allow you to regain Tides of Chaos pretty frequently by wild surging whenever you cast a levelled spell after it’s expended, leading to more chaos/luck manipulation. Chaos Bolt is a must with this build IMO

Khrysaes
2021-12-17, 04:24 PM
Peace cleric can also grant 1d4 bonus to all checks for your party.

Edit:
Peace cleric 1 grants you medium armor proficiency, the peaceful bond, and the spells guidance, bless, and bane

Star Druid 6 has Weal and Woe

Something as simple as the Help action can provide advantage

College of eloquence has the level 6 Unfailing inspiration which can help , so can the level 14 Infectious Inspiration

loki_ragnarock
2021-12-18, 02:14 PM
Are you looking for any old dice manipulation mechanic?

Bard (Bardic Inspiration - others get lucky from you being around, max out uses at level 5ish, or 14ish for Lore Bards)
Peace Cleric (Emboldening Bond, Bless)
Dragonmarks: Mark of Healing, Mark of Hospitality (add dice to specific checks)
Diviner (replaces roll, online level 2, maxes at 14)
Soulknife (turn failure into successes by adding dice, online level 3)
Wild Sorcerer (Tides of Chaos, Bend Luck, online level 6)

Not exhaustive, but something like:

Mark of Hospitality Halfling Peace Cleric 1, Diviner 2, Wild Sorcerer 6, Soul Knife 3, Lore Bard 10,

Feats are sort of outside the realm of the possible when you're this scattered, and it would take forever to come online, but lets lean in and pick up lucky and bountiful luck and second chance with all available ASIs:

Rerolling 1 (Halfling)
+1d4 to Persuasion/Cooking (Mark of Hospitality)
+1d4 to Party once a turn for most d20 rolls (Peace Cleric)
+1d4 to attack rolls, saves, ability checks via Bless/Guidance (Peace Cleric)
-1d4 to attack rolls, saves via Bane (Peace Cleric)
2 substitution d20s (Diviner)
advantage on 1 d20 roll (Wild Sorcerer)
+/- 1d4 to d20 rolls for 2 sorcery points as a reaction (Wild Sorcerer)
+ wait, why did that even happen? Subtle spell, but no one can prove it wasn't just luck. (Wild Sorcerer)
+1d6 to any failed ability check you are proficient in 2xproficiency (Soulknife)
+1d10 to 1 d20 roll in 10 minutes, cha mod/short rest (Bard)
-1d10 to attack, ability check, or damage as a reaction (Lore Bard)
Roll an extra d20, keep best or force attacker reroll 3/day (Lucky)
Allow Ally to reroll 1 as a reaction (Bountiful Luck)
Force enemy to reroll after hitting you as a reaction (Second Chance)

Use your sorcerer abilities to turn most of your useless spell slots you'd otherwise spend on things that don't manipulate dice outcomes into sweet, sweet sorcery points you can use to Bend Luck. Mostly you're a highly mobile skill user; if you start rogue, with the bonus proficiencies from bard, lore bard, and peace cleric you can be proficient in nine skills. Nine skills you are unlikely to fail, given you can add an extra d6 in the event of failure to wind up saved by luck. You have reactions out the pooper, from several different sources, so you should only very, very rarely be in a position where you can't effect *something's* d20 rolls. Honestly, given the wild abundance of things you can do with your reaction, I'd probably drop Second Chance and Bountiful Luck from the equation entirely in favor of boosting charisma, but that's against the spirit of totally leaning in.

What's your role? Party face, success enabler. Put you in a group with allies sporting Sharpshooter and GWM, and you will be the key to decimating all kinds of things. None of your fellow adventurers will ever be able to say what it is you bring to the table... but all of them somehow know that they are the lesser without you present.

EDIT:
For example, the boss fight is coming up and you - the dashing halfling hipster with skinny jeans and an IPA of power - throw out some bardic inspirations to the party preemptively so they can benefit from your luck. You throw up an Emboldening Bond and a subtle Bless while Fighter Frieda ***** her shotgun +1. You burst through the door and there he is. Hammerhead Malone, the guy with a hammer for a head. Initiative. Hammerhead Malone throws out the Pokeball of Banishment at Fighter Frieda, threatening to throw the entire fight into his favor. Frieda ain't having that, and neither are you, so you Bend Luck her way.
Frieda rolls +1d10+1d4+1d4+1d4 on that charisma save, for an average of +11 to that Charisma savefrom just standing in your presence. The odds, as ever, are in your favor.
The next round Hammerhead Malone is getting desperate, and throws out another Pokeball of Banishment. But this time you don't even want to run the risk of failure, and simply replace Frieda's d20 roll with the 17 you had stored away in the bank of Portent. Who needs to know the odds when you can just cheat?
The third round hits, and Hammerhead Malone is sweating bullets. Literal bullets, at Ranger Rodrigo, forgoing something with a saving throw for a hail of megadamage gated behind an attack roll. You could slap a -d10 or -d4 to the roll... or you could substitute his roll with the 3 you had stashed in the Portent bank, denying the megadamage in its entirety.
The fourth round, Hammerhead Malone is on his last legs. Ranger Rodrigo rears back with his Softball Bat of Smiting, about to end the entire shebang before Hammerhead Malone can get another turn in. Will he hit with that power attack? When he's adding +1d10+1d4+1d4+1d4 because you happen to be around? The odds are in your favor, for sure, and the city is saved.
Meanwhile, you've done... nothing.:wink:

Khrysaes
2021-12-18, 08:28 PM
Another spell I didn't know existed until now, when I was looking for others.
Fortune's Favor

One I may not have mentioned earlier
Foresight.

Yakmala
2021-12-18, 11:54 PM
I once played a Halfling Grave Cleric with bountiful luck.

No 1’s for the party, no 20’s for the enemy.

Drove the poor DM nuts!

DarknessEternal
2021-12-19, 10:49 AM
Another spell I didn't know existed until now, when I was looking for others.
Fortune's Favor

This spell is only available to Chronurgist and Graviturists.

I once played a Halfling Grave Cleric with bountiful luck.

No 1’s for the party, no 20’s for the enemy.

Drove the poor DM nuts!

Where do no 20's come from?

DarknessEternal
2021-12-19, 10:51 AM
tried to delete

Chalkarts
2021-12-19, 12:43 PM
Where do no 20's come from?

They can negate crits, so it's a roundabout "no 20s"