PDA

View Full Version : Do Artillerist artificers actually spend spell slots to create their cannon?

Greywander
2021-12-17, 06:18 PM
Once you create a cannon, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest or until you expend a spell slot of 1st level or higher. You can have only one cannon at a time and can't create one while your cannon is present.
I'd always thought that you get one free cannon per long rest, and have to spend a spell slot to create another one after that. But looking at the way it's worded, nothing actually says you spend the spell slot on the cannon. It looks as though instead of spending a spell slot to create the cannon, casting a spell using a spell slot (or using any other feature that expends a spell slot) simple refreshes my ability to create a cannon for free. In other words, expending a spell slot on anything refreshes your ability to create a cannon at no cost.

For example, I could create a cannon, cast Cure Wounds, then create another cannon (after the first expires), and the only time a spell slot is expended is when I cast Cure Wounds. If this is correct, then this becomes a lot better, as you don't need to "waste" high level slots creating a cannon; instead you spend those slots casting a high level spell, which refreshes your ability to create the cannon. You're also much more likely to always have the ability to create a cannon ready, as you'll most likely create the cannon at the start of combat, and then cast a leveled spell afterwards.

Contrast
2021-12-17, 06:27 PM
Once you create a cannon, you can’t do so again until you finish a long rest or until you expend a spell slot to create one.

Emphasis mine, you need to spend a spell slot to create one, you don't get it as a freebie when you spend a spell slot on something else.

Thunderous Mojo
2021-12-17, 06:27 PM
is that quote from the Eberron version?
TCoE states:
Once you create a cannon, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest or until you expend a spell slot to create one. You can have only one can- non at a time and can't create one while your can- non is present.

FORTIFIED POSITION
.....You can now have two cannons at the same time.
You can create two with the same action (but not
the same spell slot), and you can activate both of
them with the same bonus action. You determine whether the cannons arc identical to each other or different.

based off the most recent itteration of rules, I would say the slot is expended solely to create the cannon.

Valmark
2021-12-17, 06:32 PM
Seems to me that the slot is used for the cannon. It's consistent with wording like Song of Defense- I think they would have worded it differently if you could cast for it.

KorvinStarmast
2021-12-17, 06:38 PM
based off the most recent itteration of rules, I would say the slot is expended solely to create the cannon. Yes been true since Artificer was in UA.

For the OP: This is old news. (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/159901/22566)

You get one cannon for free. If you want another cannon in the same day, you expend a spell slot to get it.
FWIW, Crawford tweet as a matter of clarification. (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1197380489352364032)

Greywander
2021-12-17, 07:32 PM
Okay, it seems the source I was looking at was mistaken. I copied that text from an online source, and it doesn't match what it says in my copy of the book. So it seems I was right all along and you do expend the slot to create the cannon.

Millstone85
2021-12-20, 12:32 PM
This change is mentioned in the RftLW errata.
Eldritch Cannon (p. 59). In the second paragraph, in the first sentence, the following text has been changed from “until you expend a spell slot of 1st level or higher” to “until you expend a spell slot to create one”.

Gurgeh
2021-12-20, 07:06 PM
A perpetual risk of online resources is that they've not caught up with the errata (to say nothing of the possibility for simple mistakes in the transcription process).

The 5e d20 SRD still lists a shortsword's damage as 1d4, for instance.

Chronos
2021-12-21, 08:54 AM
Of course, that's an even greater risk with non-online resources. At least the online resources can be edited.