PDA

View Full Version : 2 Barbarian/18 College of Swords Bard Advise

Talionis
2021-12-18, 10:40 AM
I am trying to build a grappler that gets level 18 Magical Secrets as a capstone. What advise and tricks would people suggest.

Dualight
2021-12-18, 02:09 PM
The first bit would be a question: Why would you go for barbarian when you focus on a casting class?
I assume that you want the advantage on STR checks from Rage, but that is incompatible with concentration buffs, like the Enlarge effect of enlarge/reduce, which happens to be a better grappling buff than Rage alone, anyway.
Before I, or anyone more qualified, can properly advise you, I have to ask: how much of your build is locked in, and what are the goals of this build? 'Grappler with Magical Secrets' is rather vague, as far as build concepts go.
Why is bard the focus, and what would barbarian add, in your opinion?

Disclaimer: I have never played a grappler, nor even attempted a grapple in combat in actual play yet, so all I can offer is theory-crafted advice.
The best i can do is double check your reasoning, and mention options you might not have considered.

Khrysaes
2021-12-18, 02:45 PM
Probably better to get enlarge/reduce instead of rage. Fairy, duergar, or as a spell. For advantage

2 starr druid would help you keep concentration checks with starry form dragon.
You get expertise from a bard. So this will ler you retain full casting and grant you grappling things.

Alternatively, trade out the 2 druid for 2 fighter, start with con saves, and take the unarmed fighting style.

Edit: you can get both con saves and the fighting style through feats.

loki_ragnarock
2021-12-18, 03:20 PM
I'm going to need more to go on.

Please describe to me the fantasy you're going for with this combination? Is it "dude who can cast wish and suplex a tarrasque" or something?

Talionis
2021-12-18, 05:30 PM
I’m really not sure. I’m trying to see what synergy is there can I use buff spells then rage. With only two rages I’ll need things to do in combat when rage doesn’t stick. But I’m trying to do a sometimes Gish with Rage. An option I know of is Armor of Agathys and Flame Shield. But spells like Aid work for long periods of time without concentration.

I know it’s a suboptimal combination but I’m trying to be different but I don’t want to be so underpowered that I hinder the party. I thought if I got help looking for fun ideas I might be able to make it decent.

Khrysaes
2021-12-18, 08:01 PM
I’m really not sure. I’m trying to see what synergy is there can I use buff spells then rage. With only two rages I’ll need things to do in combat when rage doesn’t stick. But I’m trying to do a sometimes Gish with Rage. An option I know of is Armor of Agathys and Flame Shield. But spells like Aid work for long periods of time without concentration.

I know it’s a suboptimal combination but I’m trying to be different but I don’t want to be so underpowered that I hinder the party. I thought if I got help looking for fun ideas I might be able to make it decent.

If you are trying for this, I would look up spells with no concentration that have a duration of at least one minute.

Then, I would consider going more barbarian, less bard, to be a gish you don't really need 9th level spells.

You also have to consider the action requirements, as you probably don't want to spend actions and bonus actions setting things up.

Edit:

Looking as some of the spells:
False life
Aid
Gift of Alacraty
Armor of Agathys
Warding Bond
Immovable object
Fortune's Favor
Magic Mouth
Rope trick
See invisibility
Spiritual Weapon
Darkvision
Phantom Steed
Nondetection
Tongues
Deathward
Fire Shield
Freedom Of Movement
Guardian of Faith

So really, just look for what buffs you want if you want barbarian levels and want to rage.

Warding Bond and Bear Totem Barbarian can really take damage for another character

stoutstien
2021-12-19, 09:47 AM
So really, just look for what buffs you want if you want barbarian levels and want to rage.

Warding Bond and Bear Totem Barbarian can really take damage for another character

If you are going to make a HP sink barbarian I'd probably go AG so you can alternate how you toll out resistance/mitigation to the party.