PDA

View Full Version : Shugenja As Warlock Subclass

Blueshirt616
2021-12-19, 09:44 AM
Ok, so this might need a bit of explanation.
In my homebrew setting, Elementals reproduce by forming pacts with Mortals and implanting an Elemental embryo inside their souls.
As the Mortal ages, the embryo grows, and the Mortal gains access to their magic.
The trade-off being that, the moment a Shugenja dies, their physical form explodes due the the sudden outflux of elemental energy, destroying the physical form and finally 'birthing' the Elemental (If the Elemental is then killed, it just returns to the requisite Elemental Plane).

Anyway, I had this all worked out as a homebrewed class for 3.5, but I'm now shifting to 5th and have been thinking about how it might work.
And thanks to the whole thing about forming a pact, I figure it might work best as a Warlock subclass.
But I don't know too much about Warlocks. So does anybody have any ideas or advice about what kind of changes to Warlocks I would need to make?
And would people be interested in the subclass rules once I've finished them?

Blueshirt616
2021-12-19, 03:41 PM
Been working on ideas, and I think I've got the basics down.

Shugenja
Expanded Spell List
- 1st level
Water - Ice Knife
Earth - Earth Tremor
Fire - Burning Hands
Air - Thunderwave
- 2nd level
Water - Acid Arrow, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm
Earth - Earthbind, Maximillian's Earthen Grasp
Fire - Flame Blade, Scorching Ray
Air - Dust Devil, Levitate
- 3rd level
Water - Sleet Storm, Tidal Wave
Earth - Erupting Earth, Meld Into Stone
Fire - Fireball, Flame Arrows
Air - Fly, Lightning Arrow
- 4th level
Water - Ice Storm
Earth - Stoneskin
Fire - Fire Shield
Air - Storm Sphere
- 5th level
Water - Maelstrom
Earth - Wall of Stone
Fire - Flame Strike
Air - Cloudkill

1st level ability
Elemental Attunement. You can use your action to briefly control elemental forces nearby, causing one of the following effects of your choice:
• Create a harmless, instantaneous sensory effect related to air, earth, fire, or water, such as a show er of sparks, a puff of wind, a spray of light mist, or a gentle rumbling of stone.
• Cause earth, fire, water, or mist that can fit within a 1-foot cube to shap
6th level ability
Elemental Resistance. Based on which Elemental you are bonded with, you gain resistance to the following damage type.
• Water - Cold
• Earth - Bludgeoning
• Fire - Fire
• Air - Thunder
10th level ability
14th level ability
Elemental Incarnate
Upon reaching 14th Level you gain the ability to become the Elements. You may Polymorph into an Elemental once per Long Rest (Based on which Elemental you're bonded with), assuming all stats of your new form. When your form dies or is reduced to zero HP, you revert to your normal form with the same HP you had before you Polymorphed.

Thoughts? I#m still stuck coming up with a 10th level ability

sandmote
2021-12-20, 12:53 PM
I initially wanted to suggest treating this as a modification of the Genie warlock patron, but upon review I think the Genie focuses too much on Genie’s Vessel and granting wishes.

Maybe at 10th level grant access to the Investiture of Flame, Investiture of Ice, Investiture of Stone, or Investiture of Wind spells based on the chosen element? Alternatively, grant some lesser features that last longer but resembles the appropriate one of these four spells.