PDA

View Full Version : No Prep Dungeon Module

Chalkarts
2021-12-19, 02:31 PM
I'm working on a second prototype of a no prep Dungeon module that can be picked up off the shelf and played immediately. The DM and Players would explore the dungeon together. Who would be interested in hearing more and maybe even throwing some input towards the 3rd prototype?

Peelee
2021-12-19, 07:30 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Thread moved to more appropriate Forum

kebusmaximus
2021-12-19, 09:54 PM
I would. My biggest problem with most modules that currently exist is that they're poorly laid out and terribly difficult to use at the table.

Palanan
2021-12-19, 09:58 PM
Wouldn't mind taking a look.

JNAProductions
2021-12-20, 01:07 PM
This could be cool. Whatcha got so far? :)

Chalkarts
2021-12-20, 02:10 PM
I would. My biggest problem with most modules that currently exist is that they're poorly laid out and terribly difficult to use at the table.

I'm a meh artist. I still need to learn to use my tablet. But I also hate the way dungeon modules are set up so I took action and now want to develop the idea.

I took a module from Yawning Portal and redrew every room of the map on a different page of a large sketchbook. I included stat blocks and trap notes hidden behind post its and paper flaps. In a final prototype, the page opposite of each room drawing would include the written description of the room, an artists rendering, and any openly known information with DM secret info behind flaps. The first prototype encouraged map making and gave a fog of war aspect for the entire crawl since they could only see the room they were in. It also discouraged party splitting. I never liked showing the full map to players.

I'd put all the background info that no one knew like the builders of the dungeons history and inconsequential fluff in the back of the book to be read after the dungeon was finished.

with the right accessories it would be about 11x14 and contain everything needed to run the entire dungeon by pulling it off the shelf and turning to page one. I'm thinking either paper punch out tokens for the critters and players, colorforms are also a possibility but I hate plastic.

Witty Username
2021-12-21, 11:30 PM
I would take a look at some OSR books for reference. Layout tends to be a high priority with alot of those RPGs.
Map and room information should be kept in close proximity preferably on opposite pages. Since you want to cut down on the GM digging for essential info.

Kurt Kurageous
2022-01-07, 04:35 PM

Agreed. If I ever got the attention of WotC, that is what I would tell them. They've forgotten there is no game without a DM. We are the game, and all they have taken us for granted for way too long.

I've been working on formatting scenes for some time. I have thoughts and files to share. DM me, as this site doesn't make things easy to share. I have an entire Lvl1-3 replacement for Death House Curse of Strahd.

Let's first define the problem. I think the fundamental need of a DM is rapid access to specific information at table. There are others, but this is the one that comes up the most, esp when running WotC Modules.

Next let's work on solutions.
My format is designed to give the DM almost everything they need (including statblocks) on one sheet of paper to run the scene. No looking up in the MM, DMG, PHB, etc. Just do the cycle (describe the situation, give an incitement, anticipate responses/listen, then describe the new situation).

Everything I have to offer is free to you. It's my legacy in this game as I'm already 54 years old.