PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Begemott - A construct race made to protect children

KOLE
2021-12-19, 06:39 PM
Hey guys, just a little fun thing I threw together. Last Christmas we did a one shot as Christmas toys trying to find our way back home. My wife played a teddy bear- which was purely refluffed as it was very last minute. But the session itself was a blast, and she found herself very attached to the character itself, so we decided to carry him forward into our Curse of Strahd campaign. I decided to do it right though, and actually brewed something up. It ranks low on detect balance, which I consider a good thing.

I don't really have the time to write out a full description/story for the race itself. Concept wise, the character/race we inspired by that famous picture (https://www.deviantart.com/begemott/art/sweet-halloween-dreams-42197587) that used to make the rounds on the internet, the idea of a child bed time toy actually protecting them. Lore wise, the world the Begemott originate from can be dangerous for young sorcerers- while they're learning to harness their powers, they can actually act as channels for interplanar travel, especially while they're sleeping. This necesitated a careful watcher who could be there whenever the children slept. In the interest of making the best and most trustworthy watcher, some wizards created the Begemott. As the years went by, the concept seemed to catch on with wealthy folks whose children might be targets for abduction or assassination, so their numbers began to increase.

Our Beast Barbarian Mr. Fluffy has been exiled after he failed to save his ward from a nightmare made manifest- his wandering feet took him to Barovia, where he's been given a second chance at fighting the darkness. For your enjoyment- the Begemott. Criticism welcome.

Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Age: Begemott generally develop their own personalities within their first years, and have no known life span limits.
Alignment: Solely created to protect children in their sleep, Begemotts tend strongly to Lawful Good, however some have been known to strike out on their own and develop more distinct personalities.
Size: Begemott average between 2 and 4 feet tall and weigh bewteen 50 and 60 pounds, most of which is the magical components that animate them. Your size is Small.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Brave: You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
Darkvision: Created to protect children during the night, you are adept in the darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
I Think We’re Alone Now: You can cast Detect Good and Evil with this trait, using Wisdom as your spellcasting ability. Once you cast this spell, you can't cast it again with this trait until you finish a short or long rest.
Life Without Breath:

You have advantage on savings throws against being poisoned, and you have resistance to poison damage.
You don't need to eat, drink, or breathe.
You are immune to disease.
You don't need to sleep, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Light Bearer: You know the Light cantrip. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for it.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and one language of your choice.

JNAProductions
2021-12-19, 09:13 PM
At work, so skipping to mechanics.

Looks fine-nothing new, nothing crazy… perfectly serviceable, and I’d see no reason to disallow this race on mechanical grounds.