PDA

View Full Version : Cleric domains

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-20, 12:37 PM
Don't use the customize domain.

Core only
1) What is the best domain for the domain ability
2) What is the best domain for the spells.
3) What is the best domain over all.
4) What are the best pair of domains.

All books.

Chronos
2007-11-20, 12:58 PM
In core only, I'd say that Travel (effectively never get paralyzed, or entangled, or grappled by spells), Luck (re-roll one of your rolls each day), and Strength (huge bonus to Strength for a full round) have the best granted abilities, depending on what you're going for (Strength is great for melee clerics, not so much for others).

For spells, I'd go with Trickery, Travel, or Air. Trickery gives you two of the most broken wizard spells (Polymorph Any Object and Time Stop), travel lets you teleport, and Air has the best spells in the game for dealing with large numbers of enemies, and gives you the direct offense capabilities that a cleric is somewhat deficient in.

Overall, I'd say Travel is the best, since it has both a great granted power, and great spells. Most of the Luck domain spells are on the cleric list anyway, and while Strength gives you some new spells, they're not the most impressive. Meanwhile, a non-cloistered cleric doesn't have enough skill points to take advantage of Trickery's granted power, and while Air's power can be useful, how often do you meet elementals?

For pair of domains, I'd take Travel and either Air or Strength, depending on what I intended to do with the cleric.

Damionte
2007-11-20, 01:29 PM
Demon are you tryign to get to some kind of conclusion with these threads of yours? Or are you just tryign to spark a discussion?

Craig1f
2007-11-20, 01:49 PM
In core only, I'd say that Travel (effectively never get paralyzed, or entangled, or grappled by spells), Luck (re-roll one of your rolls each day), and Strength (huge bonus to Strength for a full round) have the best granted abilities, depending on what you're going for (Strength is great for melee clerics, not so much for others).

For spells, I'd go with Trickery, Travel, or Air. Trickery gives you two of the most broken wizard spells (Polymorph Any Object and Time Stop), travel lets you teleport, and Air has the best spells in the game for dealing with large numbers of enemies, and gives you the direct offense capabilities that a cleric is somewhat deficient in.

Overall, I'd say Travel is the best, since it has both a great granted power, and great spells. Most of the Luck domain spells are on the cleric list anyway, and while Strength gives you some new spells, they're not the most impressive. Meanwhile, a non-cloistered cleric doesn't have enough skill points to take advantage of Trickery's granted power, and while Air's power can be useful, how often do you meet elementals?

For pair of domains, I'd take Travel and either Air or Strength, depending on what I intended to do with the cleric.

I completely forgot about my Travel Domain special ability when I got hit with Power Word Stun in a recent combat.

Immunity to Power Word Stun is a tremendous thing to have.

I have Travel and Protection. Protection isn't great, but it was the only good second choice for Selune. Having antimagic field at level 6 is a very nice thing though.

Toliudar
2007-11-20, 04:47 PM
I completely forgot about my Travel Domain special ability when I got hit with Power Word Stun in a recent combat.

Immunity to Power Word Stun is a tremendous thing to have.

Pardon? Someone will correct me if I get this wrong.

The special ability works like freedom of movement when resisting magical effects. Freedom of movement:

This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web. The subject automatically succeeds on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin.

The spell also allows the subject to move and attack normally while underwater, even with slashing weapons such as axes and swords or with bludgeoning weapons such as flails, hammers, and maces, provided that the weapon is wielded in the hand rather than hurled. The freedom of movement spell does not, however, allow water breathing.

Stunning does this:

A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

Stunning isn't impeding your ability to move, it's impeding your ability to ACT. By the same argument, the special ability would prevent Finger of Death - nothing decreases your movement like the Dead template.

greenknight
2007-11-20, 06:49 PM
Core only

It's a tossup between Magic and Travel, IMO. At low levels, Travel's better, at higher levels, Magic's better.

Magic. Or if you're looking at Domain Spells only, it's a three way tie between Magic, Travel and Trickery.

Magic, unless you take a level in Sorcerer or Wizard. If you do, it's between Travel and Trickery.

Magic and Trickery unless you have a level in Sorcerer or Wizard. If you do, Travel and Trickery.

As for the "all books" question, I don't really have enough experience of all the books to answer.

deadseashoals
2007-11-20, 07:21 PM
The aforementioned travel, magic, and trickery are all great.

In addition, luck is also great. The domain power will save your once a day, every day, and the spells are good too. Moment of prescience, spell turning, freedom of movement, SIGN ME UP.

I would take travel and luck personally, though I'd also be tempted to take travel and trickery.

When the Spell Compendium gets involved, the Spell domain and the Time domain are also insanely good. Spell gets anyspell and greater anyspell, which allow you to cast any arcane spell of a certain level, and Time gives you haste, time stop, contingency and permanency, as well as giving you Improved Initiative as a bonus feat. It's the best domain I've ever seen.

cupkeyk
2007-11-20, 07:35 PM
I like combining the rogue like domains:
Luck and Fate, nets you a reroll and uncanny dodge.
Trickery and Kobold, nets you bluff, forgery, disguise, search and disable device AND trapfinding.
Travel and Luck are the most solid core pair.
Metal and Planning nets you extend spell and weapon proficiency(hammer of your choice).
Artifice and Creation nets you AWESOME spells.(Fabricate, Minor Creation, Major Creation FOR CASH)

Generally, i don't like domains that scale with cleric levels, as there are just too many nice cleric PRC's to stay cleric

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-20, 08:52 PM
For rogues- darkness

For fighters- war

For everybody else- travel, trickery, time. the big T's.

martyboy74
2007-11-20, 08:57 PM
SpC has the lust domain, which gives you an enhancement bonus to your charisma equal to your cleric level once per day. Combined with DMM at high levels, and the fact that it has invisibilty is only icing on the cheesecake.

Craig1f
2007-11-26, 04:02 PM
Pardon? Someone will correct me if I get this wrong.

The special ability works like freedom of movement when resisting magical effects. Freedom of movement:

Stunning does this:

Stunning isn't impeding your ability to move, it's impeding your ability to ACT. By the same argument, the special ability would prevent Finger of Death - nothing decreases your movement like the Dead template.

Thanks for noticing that flaw in my post. We're on a demon plane, and have already been jumped by some kinda demon thing that looks like a badger, and likes to liberally hit people with Confusion and Power Word Stun. I was hit last time, and the party Wizard had to hit me with a dispel magic to save me.

I was planning to taunt the next one of these badger demons the next time we encountered one, so it would waste PWS on me. I don't think I'll be doing that now.

Solo
2007-11-26, 04:06 PM
Don't use the customize domain.

Core only

All books.

There are only two domains you have to bother with;

The "Good" and "Luck" domains.

Person_Man
2007-11-26, 04:56 PM
Core only

1, 2, 3)

Travel. Basically makes you immune to a set of "Save or Lose" situations. It also adds insanely useful spells to your list that you otherwise wouldn't have access to.

Travel and Trickery (Disguise Self, Invisibility, Mislead, Polymorph any Object, Time Stop). If your party is roleplaying heavy or just likes to spend a lot of time preparing before leaping into encounters, use Knowledge instead.

All books.

This is a matter of what type of build you want to play. In addition to Travel, Trickery, and Knowledge, my favorites are Domination, Dream, Illusion, Slime, Shadow, Time, Transformation, and Truth. You should also take a look at Complete Champion, which offers feats that grant you special powers if you have certain domains.