PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #262 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-01-02, 10:06 AM
New comic is up.

Theodoxus
2006-01-02, 10:08 AM
I truly hope Haley gets over her speech impediment - I don't have the time to translate it myself, and have to wait for other brilliant people that do have the time to post it... I think Elan's comment should of snapped her out of it personally - since it's purely psychological in nature.

Lightman
2006-01-02, 10:10 AM
I truly hope Haley gets over her speech impediment - I don't have the time to translate it myself, and have to wait for other brilliant people that do have the time to post it... I think Elan's comment should of snapped her out of it personally - since it's purely psychological in nature.
Agreeded.
"Love makes the world go round and gives a +2 bonus on certain skill checks! Ha!"

Aeek
2006-01-02, 10:12 AM
Agreeded.
"Love makes the world go round and gives a +2 bonus on certain skill checks! Ha!"

Makes me REALLY wonder what Haley says in that panel!

Ryngard
2006-01-02, 10:16 AM
A most excellent strip! Thank you Rich! :)

Okay Haley translators! Get to work!!! ;D

Quixote
2006-01-02, 10:17 AM
Uh... hopefully by the morning someone will have translated Haley for me... goodnight.

Sundog
2006-01-02, 10:23 AM
Okay, the girls are out, Belkar's out - and I don't think it will take long for Roy and company to be out too.

Lord Shojo's castle has a bad case of adventurers.

The Giant
2006-01-02, 10:23 AM

I'm pretty careful to make sure that Haley's gibberish is never integral to the joke, so you should be able to read the strip without ever knowing what she says. After all, would it dampen your enjoyment of the strip if it really WAS gibberish, with no possible translation? If anything, it would enhance it, it sounds like, since you're getting hung up on needing to know what she says.

My feeling is that the cryptoquotes are like "bonus material" on a DVD. You don't need to understand them to read the story, they're just extras. Trust me, Haley's loss of speech will eventually directly relate to her personal development in such a way that it will be worth the slight inconvenience.

Or at least, that's the hope. I may totally screw it up, who knows.

Kyrian
2006-01-02, 10:25 AM
No, you did good. It's actually kinda fun to try and figure it out.

LtPowers
2006-01-02, 10:27 AM
Lord Shojo's castle has a bad case of adventurers.
It occurs to me that they're only making their eventual trial worse on themselves...

Powers &8^]

Ryngard
2006-01-02, 10:28 AM
Or at least, that's the hope. I may totally screw it up, who knows.

Rich, you do an excellent job, we just want to know EVERYTHING! ;) We're the guys who watch all the dvd special features!

Oh and when you do book 3 & 4, please add in translations for those who buy them. LIke in the back of the book or something. That would be really nice. :)

The Giant
2006-01-02, 10:30 AM
Oh and when you do book 3 & 4, please add in translations for those who buy them. LIke in the back of the book or something. That would be really nice. :)

Already planned. :)

Grygus
2006-01-02, 10:34 AM
Never tried one until today, but here's what I got:

You stupid lock! Open! Why won't you open??

Going to kill you...

I hate Amazing-quality locks!

Gee, thanks, no pressure there.

Damn it! OPEN!

I am totally in love with you.

Lightman
2006-01-02, 10:37 AM
Already planned. :)
Wait...Haleys going to be like this...forever?! :o

Whatever, theres still Dragon magazine!

The Giant
2006-01-02, 10:49 AM
Wait...Haleys going to be like this...forever?! :o

I'm pretty sure I said nothing of the sort. Merely that any book that includes cryptoquote comics will ALSO include an answer key for them in the back. That's it.

Sebastian
2006-01-02, 11:13 AM
Best OotS of 2006 :D

No, really, V's line at the end made me laugh out loud.

Devoured_Dude
2006-01-02, 11:52 AM
Oots on the loose! I hope Shojo's castle doesn't have a self-destruct rune.

Great start for '06, Giant!

rosebud
2006-01-02, 09:20 PM
Awwwwww. No wonder why she needed to talk in code. :)

soni
2006-01-02, 10:49 PM
wow... this website's getting hammered today

Hawkeye
2006-01-02, 11:04 PM
I don't usually have a place in my twisted evil heart for slushy stuff, but, but, but.... it's so cute it's sickening. The last few panels was like 10000 kittens and puppies put together in one place. If Elan manages to decipher what Haley's been saying I might get converted to watching teenage slush and have to kill myself.

Great stuff, definitely one of my favourites.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-01-02, 11:04 PM
"...I believe in you."

Love really does that, eh?

*Wistful Sigh*

EDIT: Truth be told, not reading the translations actually made Elan's speech a lot better.

Devils_Advocate
2006-01-02, 11:30 PM
Personally, I'm glad that Haley's speech isn't actually dubbed or anything. It lets me first read the comic from the perspective of the other characters (who don't know what she's saying), and then see it from hers after someone translates it.

I also appreciate that it's a fun challenge for those who enjoy such things, though I personally don't have the patience for word puzzles. (Hmm, do I suck at cryptograms because I haven't the patience needed, or do I lack the patience because I suck at them? Both, for all know.)

Treble
2006-01-02, 11:54 PM
Wow. It's 11 pm and this is the first I've been able to get the site loaded. The traffic here must be mind-bogglingly huge.

Blaznak
2006-01-02, 11:59 PM
We Three Things:
1) Unbelieveable that two-dimensional representations of two-dimensional drawings can involve such multi-dimensional characters. Hmmm... Is this a possible math problem? 2D * 2D = 4D?
2) Belkar gets the best lines, but I still like Elan. He is in such a world of his own making...
3) I like the gibberish! I don't understand what ANY of the characters are saying EXCEPT Haley... (Grin)! Or is it supposed to be the other way around...

Heh.

Later!

jttm80
2006-01-03, 12:19 AM
Gasp!
I can't believe Haley said it!
:D

And I'm pretty sure V understands every word Haley is saying...

watermammal
2006-01-03, 12:28 AM

You stupid lock! Open! Why won't you open??

Going to kill you...

I hate Amazing-quality locks!

Gee, thanks, no pressure there.

Damn it! OPEN!

\

You are a good man, grygus. Thank you very much for helping me be lazy! heh.

Giant, C novim godum. Happy New Year! Great comic. I too have found that love does give me a +2 bonus on certain skill checks. Actually, on rare few I get a +4. But this is accessible to children.

Hope everyone had good holidays!

Winged One
2006-01-03, 12:28 AM
I loved it. Serious and mushy, up till the punchline. "Love makes the world go round. And has been known to provide a +2 circumstance to certain skill checks." I should sig that... ;D

Renmazuo
2006-01-03, 12:47 AM
Kudos to the Giant! This strip has become my favorite webcomic ever, Keep up the good work!

ref
2006-01-03, 12:55 AM
Great! But now if they get caught they get more charges against them...

Haley wouldn't tell Elan about her feelings ("I'm in love with ukuleles"), but she is sneaky and probably had to get that out. That's Haley, using her impediments for her own good. Haley, get an XP ;)

Tetsusaiga
2006-01-03, 01:26 AM
Yeah but knowing the Giant, They'll get caught.

cyberchihuahua
2006-01-03, 01:39 AM
Lets see, last comic made me spit food at work. This one caused a big "awwww". The giant is a better writer and artist then a lot of big name comic books have.

Djagir
2006-01-03, 01:50 AM
I'm pretty careful to make sure that Haley's gibberish is never integral to the joke, so you should be able to read the strip without ever knowing what she says. After all, would it dampen your enjoyment of the strip if it really WAS gibberish, with no possible translation? If anything, it would enhance it, it sounds like, since you're getting hung up on needing to know what she says.
One comic artist I saw doing this (it's a science fiction-y series, with the character in question being an incomprehensible alien) used text in a different font for the letters. I sat down one day and applied myself to deciphering the cryptogram. I can't quote the text now, but it says something along the lines of, "If you can read this, you've figured out what font I was using for this. I can't actually tell you what the dialog here would be, because it would give too much away." Fairly soon, it works its way into Monty Python quotes (which was where I first started deciphering things; the letter patterns were better there). Shortly thereafter, the dialog expressed incredulity that you were still translating it, and offered you a recipe as a reward. When the character went into a soliloquy that turned out to be a recipe for snickerdoodle cookies, I sort of gave up on it. But it was fun. :D

Jonathan_Crane
2006-01-03, 02:27 AM
That's funny, Mr Djagir, I don't recall anyone asking for a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY boring story...

Heh, my first post, and I'm already acting like a complete jerk. I'm just kidding, man. ;)

omikapsi
2006-01-03, 02:40 AM
I found Djagir's story quite interesting actually, and am now curious as to what the series or who the alien was.

Man, the only time I can view the comics are after 11 pm. This site must be getting utterly blasted with traffic.

Pesi
2006-01-03, 02:53 AM
Thumbs up on the comic. My nerdy side looked up 'Amazing-Quality' (DC: 40. They also call it 'superior', can't they make up their mind?) and decided that Haley has a lockpicking skill of no less than 16 and no more than 21.

Liquid
2006-01-03, 03:07 AM
Haley has a skill of about 18 or 19 :
13 or 14 ranks
+3 DEX
+2 if she has masterwork tools

that way she can't succeed with a 20 but the +2 from Elan's "speech" would give her that extra little.

P.S. Awesome strip :)

Fabio_MP
2006-01-03, 03:22 AM
I just love Order of the Stick :)

thanks for all the strip and good gaming

bosssmiley
2006-01-03, 03:28 AM
We Three Things:
1) Unbelieveable that two-dimensional representations of two-dimensional drawings can involve such multi-dimensional characters. Hmmm... Is this a possible math problem? 2D * 2D = 4D?
It's one of the secrets of D&D maths: 2D + 2D = 3D. Rich has exploited it in a previously unforeseen way. ;D

Oh, and re: Haley speaking gibberish. Definite "aaaaaw" moment when I worked out what she was saying. :-*

manscatha
2006-01-03, 03:38 AM
13 or 14 ranks
+3 DEX

that way she can't succeed with a 20 but the +2 from Elan's "speech" would give her that extra little.

P.S. Awesome strip :)

I don't think Haley's hair, which is what she seems to be using, counts as masterwork tools. But if she's around level twelve, as we suspect her dex modifier could easily be +4, and she could have up to 15 ranks in Pick Lock.

Back more on topic, I love V. Especially in that chin-stroking pose. But I am a little surprised that the OOTS would have been put in a cell with a lock only just out of the range of their rogue's abilities. Surely Miko should have figured out what level they're likely to be? Or did the ease with which she kicked their ass affect her judgement?

Gralamin
2006-01-03, 03:53 AM
proably both and then again, where are you going to find locks with higher than DC 40 that function in a antimagic zone?

Marller
2006-01-03, 04:36 AM
I don't think Haley's hair, which is what she seems to be using, counts as masterwork tools. But if she's around level twelve, as we suspect her dex modifier could easily be +4, and she could have up to 15 ranks in Pick Lock.

Back more on topic, I love V. Especially in that chin-stroking pose. But I am a little surprised that the OOTS would have been put in a cell with a lock only just out of the range of their rogue's abilities. Surely Miko should have figured out what level they're likely to be? Or did the ease with which she kicked their ass affect her judgement?

I think she just delivered them to the prison, together with the note on their sleeping habits. I doubt she would tell the prison guards how to do their job, they should know how to do it, after all (misplaced trust but stuff happens). ;)

Eldhrin
2006-01-03, 04:39 AM
proably both and then again, where are you going to find locks with higher than DC 40 that function in a antimagic zone?
Very good point.

Really, the guards should've welded the doors shut.

kerberos
2006-01-03, 04:42 AM

By placing it an inch outside the antimagic zone.

Adolfo
2006-01-03, 04:46 AM
They'll probably try squeezing a spellcaster in that inch....

Maryring
2006-01-03, 05:03 AM
This was wonderful and cute. I loved it and I think it is wonderful. It is absolutely wonderful and incredible and wonderful and amazing and wonderful and did I say that it is wonderful? Well it is and... I better stop now.

It is wonderful.

Antina
2006-01-03, 05:11 AM
[...]

I know - we all long to hear those words for a long time now... - but please take a good look at the expression on her face - if she had said THE THING ;) she would have smiled at least.

Antina
2006-01-03, 05:16 AM
By placing it an inch outside the antimagic zone.

Nad - no way. That inch would be quite enough for a magicans spell to have at least a chance to be effective on the lock.

Aeek
2006-01-03, 06:28 AM
I don't think Haley's hair, which is what she seems to be using, counts as masterwork tools.

Her backup masterwork tools, disguised as a strand of hair.
Would that still give a +2 ?

Lord Herman
2006-01-03, 06:53 AM
Thanks for another great comic, Giant!

Can't wait for all the good stuff that is coming up later this year.

shadeofwar
2006-01-03, 06:57 AM

...disguised as a strand of hair, non-magically?

Rawhide
2006-01-03, 07:04 AM
Masterwork Hairpin?
Masterwork Underwire?

U2QueenBee
2006-01-03, 07:04 AM
I thought they were just coppery lockpicks hidden in her hair (or somewhere else they didn't think to look!)

I have to say, today's strip actually made me say "Aww!" I'm such a girl. :P

Chaos
2006-01-03, 08:45 AM
Would that still give a +2 ?

If the tools are made of copper, she just might be able to hide them in her hair - right color and all. Copper is very soft, though, and they probably wouldn´t be good for many uses. But once is usually enough.

This is just the kind of thing a good thieves´ guild might come up with.

On other news:
I can´t say that I´m surprised V is starting to figure out Haley´s garbled speech. From what I know about it, aphasia speech really amounts to some kind of (involuntary and subconscious) substitution code, just like the Giant presents it, and V´s intelligence score of 18 should enable him to break that eventually. He´s been hearing it quite a while, after all. And the strip with him, Durkon and Belkar talking about love shows that he´s aware what´s happening between Haley and Elan, too.

Elthanir
2006-01-03, 09:37 AM
I have to say, today's strip actually made me say "Aww!" I'm such a girl. :P

Yeah, me too... ::)

On other news:
I can´t say that I´m surprised V is starting to figure out Haley´s garbled speech. From what I know about it, aphasia speech really amounts to some kind of (involuntary and subconscious) substitution code, just like the Giant presents it, and V´s intelligence score of 18 should enable him to break that eventually. He´s been hearing it quite a while, after all. And the strip with him, Durkon and Belkar talking about love shows that he´s aware what´s happening between Haley and Elan, too.

I'm not sure he can interpret her speech yet; he can probably just get the gist of what she's saying from her expression and tone of voice.
And let's face it, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out how Haley and Elan feel about each other, and I doubt V's entirely clueless in the ways of love... he is married, after all...

Single Shot Zombie
2006-01-03, 09:46 AM
From what I can see, Haley should actually get a penalty. Hell, it's her hair she's using.

And not to mention that it's even shown in the title of the comic; check the archives: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootsarchive?

13 or 14 ranks
+3 DEX

At level 12, assuming max ranks in Open Lock, we have +15 from ranks, and a +3 or +4 to Dex.

Include the -2 penalty from using improvised tools, and Haley's effective modifier is probably only around 16-17; not enough to open the lock even with Elan's help (treat as Aid Another?).

Solution? Haley probably has Skill Focus: Open Lock.

afarrell
2006-01-03, 09:48 AM
I know - we all long to hear those words for a long time now... - but please take a good look at the expression on her face - if she had said THE THING ;) she would have smiled at least.

Uh no, he's not guessing. Those are the words she's saying.

Elthanir
2006-01-03, 09:54 AM
Yeah... I just took the time out to translate it, and she is saying "I am totally in love with you".

But while I think she's realising more and more that she does mean it, in this case I think the tone of voice is more in the manner of "You did it... I can't believe that actually worked".

Rawhide
2006-01-03, 10:23 AM
I highly doubt it is her hair. I mean seriously, just look at them, they are jagged with straight edges. Looks more like concealed tools to me.

Alfryd
2006-01-03, 10:28 AM
I had assumed Belkar would spring the rest of the crew, after, say, gutting a couple of guards and looting the keys. And some kidneys. Hopefully the lock on Roy's cell is less intimidating.

It occurs to me that they're only making their eventual trial worse on themselves...
I fear so too. On the other hand, there is Roy's sister to consider.

Trust me, Haley's loss of speech will eventually directly relate to her personal development in such a way that it will be worth the slight inconvenience.
I look forward to this.

Shatteredtower
2006-01-03, 10:37 AM
Does anyone recall if we've been told that Haley is good or neutral along the good-evil axis? Because if she's neutral, I find it amusing that the prisoners were segregated by alignment.

rosebud
2006-01-03, 10:40 AM
please take a good look at the expression on her face - if she had said THE THING ;) she would have smiled at least.
I think she's stunned. Give her 1d4 turns to collect her senses. :)

Ironfang
2006-01-03, 10:43 AM
Her Hair ?!? Who started that idea? The only way hair could be used to pick a lock would be in a "Something about Mary" kinda way.

It must be concealed Picks which may or may not be masterwork but if they were they may even have a bonus to conceal, painted to match her hair or buckle etc.

I am surprised Giant doesn't chime in more to say things like "You dolts! they are obviously from her blah blah, blah blah" It must drive him crazy reading all this speculation on something that he has created and has all the answers to in his head.

Was there any confirmation on the cryptoquotes? Or was the 1st timer just assumed correct. Seems to fit but I am too busy (see: lazy) at work to check myself.

ByzCath
2006-01-03, 10:47 AM
Her Hair ?!? Who started that idea? The only way hair could be used to pick a lock would be in a "Something about Mary" kinda way.

I thought Haley was using a piece of straw.

Rawhide
2006-01-03, 10:51 AM
Her Hair ?!? Who started that idea?
I don't know, and I certainly don't see how it could be used to pick locks...

There are many ways to conceal lockpicking tools. Bobby pins, wire from an underwire bra, in boots, in a belt/belt buckle, buttons, cufflinks, jewellery, sleeves, etc. etc.

Darius Midnite
2006-01-03, 11:14 AM
Great strip Giant!
Not to soppy, and not to errrm somthing else...

keep 'em comin'..!

The Giant
2006-01-03, 11:21 AM
I thought Haley was using a piece of straw.

Winner!

Yeah, Haley is using straw from the mattress (which I just realized I didn't draw in yet) to pick the lock. Given their level, it is also probable that even in anti-magic, Haley has a Dex modifier of +5, which at 12th level (15 ranks) and with the -2 for improvised thieves' tools would give a "take 20" score of 38. Just shy of the DC 40. (There's no evidence in the rules that a nonmagical lock with a DC greater than 40 is physically possible, don't forget.)

GeekDaddy
2006-01-03, 11:32 AM
Whatever, theres still Dragon magazine!

And since there's no way in Heck my wife would ever let me subscribe to or even buy a copy of Dragon, I can't wait until they are available in an on-line archive.

They will be, wont they?

Please?

:-[ wibble!

(BTW: If this has been addressed elsewhere, please don't flame me. I rarely have time to post to BBs anymore, let alone read them voraciously like I used to.)

The Giant
2006-01-03, 11:34 AM
The Dragon strips will not ever be available online, no. They will, someday, be collected in one of the books.

ByzCath
2006-01-03, 11:39 AM
Winner!

Yeah, Haley is using straw from the mattress (which I just realized I didn't draw in yet) to pick the lock. Given their level, it is also probable that even in anti-magic, Haley has a Dex modifier of +5, which at 12th level (15 ranks) and with the -2 for improvised thieves' tools would give a "take 20" score of 38. Just shy of the DC 40. (There's no evidence in the rules that a nonmagical lock with a DC greater than 40 is physically possible, don't forget.)

Cool! What do I win?

evileeyore
2006-01-03, 11:40 AM
Really, the guards should've welded the doors shut.Two ways to prevent this:

Place the lock out of reach. Either by having a solid door and walls, by the old chain and lock trick (wrap a chain around the door and bar where it meets, run the taught chain ten feet away to a ring loop, lock the chain), or by the pit and ladder trick, like they did with Belkar.

Place Guards with crossbows outside the bars to shoot prisoners going near the door.

Honestly this prison was not designed very well to prevent escapes. As I said before plot hole. Not that I'm disparaging the Giant's plot, they have to escape someway and without tons of needless scenes or exposition, but it would not have been so easy in my game.

Does anyone recall if we've been told that Haley is good or neutral along the good-evil axis? Because if she's neutral, I find it amusing that the prisoners were segregated by alignment.No one is Neutral on the G vs E axis. Roy and Durkon are LG, Haley and Elan are CG, V is either NG or LG (I am firmly in the LG camp). Only Belkar is Evil, and he is CE.

If the tools are made of copper, she just might be able to hide them in her hair - right color and all. Copper is very soft, though, and they probably wouldn´t be good for many uses. But once is usually enough.

This is just the kind of thing a good thieves´ guild might come up with.

Or a better idea...

There are many ways to conceal lockpicking tools. Bobby pins, wire from an underwire bra, in boots, in a belt/belt buckle, buttons, cufflinks, jewellery, sleeves, etc. etc.Exactly. All my Rogues carry picks sewn into hemlines of their favorite clothes. Its not like simple lock picks are that expensive, not is it something that is often checked. Heck they always have one 'bluffed' set that is done clumsily so its easy to find. Plus you can hide a pick or two in your mouth, in your hair, or elsewhere... I had one character have his arm cut and picks put under the skin and have it healed. But then he was bat guano crazy...

Granted the easiest way to defeat this is to have the character stripped, searched and given 'prison issues'. But obviously in Azure City that isn't the norm.

Also the OotS might just be awaiting arraignment and thus since it won’t be a long stay Miko didn’t feel anything extreme was necessary.

chibibar
2006-01-03, 11:49 AM
well.. there is also a case of "underestimate your enemies" miko DID kicked everyone's butt and put them in chain gang...

she probably thought these "motley" crew couldn't escape.
ALSO remember.. they are still inside the prison (the building) we haven't even gotten to outside of the prison building.

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-01-03, 12:01 PM
Best circumstance bonus EVER! ;D

Silivren
2006-01-03, 12:02 PM
I dont think V or anyone else in the strip has learned to decipher what Haley's saying. They can usually get the gist from context and attitude, and in this case its pretty clear he knew what would happen when he made his little suggestion to Elan. Namely, that given Elan's friendship with her, as well as his nice guy personality and high charisma, he'd definitely wind up saying something quite complementary to her, and given Haley's poorly hidden feelings for Elan, such a comment would have been extra-meaningful to her when coming from him.

Edit:

Best circumstance bonus EVER! ;D

Yes. Yes it is. ;D

Istielthia
2006-01-03, 12:39 PM
Was there any confirmation on the cryptoquotes? Or was the 1st timer just assumed correct. Seems to fit but I am too busy (see: lazy) at work to check myself.

I got the same thing... not sure if that's confirmaton enough for those who haven't translated it for themselves yet. This one was fairly easy... (more words - easier translating) I started with the "C" (only stand alone letter/word, had to be A or I) and went from there.

On another note... I loved this strip! Not just cause I'm a girl and love the mushy stuff. I thought it was an over-all stupendous strip. And even though I couldn't see it until this morning, it was worth the wait. Great start to 2006, Giant!

Djagir
2006-01-03, 12:50 PM
That's funny, Mr Djagir, I don't recall anyone asking for a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY boring story...
I guess I was just bringing out my Inner Elan.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy the boring story...

I found Djagir's story quite interesting actually, and am now curious as to what the series or who the alien was.

The series is Aaron Williams' PS238 (http://www.ps238.com), and the character is Prospero.

Shatteredtower
2006-01-03, 12:50 PM
No one is Neutral on the G vs E axis. Roy and Durkon are LG, Haley and Elan are CG, V is either NG or LG (I am firmly in the LG camp). Only Belkar is Evil, and he is CE.Aside from the fact that we have confirmed alignments for Belkar, Durkon, and Roy (with a good confirmation in regard to Elan, almost certainly chaotic to be his brother's opposite number), where is this stated?

watermammal
2006-01-03, 12:59 PM
Masterwork Hairpin?
Masterwork Underwire?

[possible spoiler]

Now THAT is sneaky. I like the way you think.

As far as Miko goes, my guess would be wither a, her pride and arrogance would forbid her from believing they could escape from HER dungeon; or b, her pride as a professional would demand she trust the guards to do their jobs. Either way, pride goeth before the fall. Or wait, maybe it is all a ploy to prove to her master that they are not good people. I hadn't even considered that. Ohh, that's good.

ByzCath
2006-01-03, 01:12 PM
[possible spoiler]

Now THAT is sneaky. I like the way you think.

As far as Miko goes, my guess would be wither a, her pride and arrogance would forbid her from believing they could escape from HER dungeon; or b, her pride as a professional would demand she trust the guards to do their jobs. Either way, pride goeth before the fall. Or wait, maybe it is all a ploy to prove to her master that they are not good people. I hadn't even considered that. Ohh, that's good.

I don't know.... I have a funny feeling that this is all a test devised by Lord Shojo to see if the OoTS is up to doing a job for him.

Maryring
2006-01-03, 01:38 PM
It's just... V said the L word. Even Elan with his Wis and Int should have guessed it by now...

Hawkeye
2006-01-03, 02:44 PM
from the things that Elan does I think that his wis and int would give him a penalty

nitpick: in panel 3 Haley has her bow on her back

Eriol
2006-01-03, 03:18 PM
nitpick: in panel 3 Haley has her bow on her back
Nice catch! I wonder how long until it's "edited".

And remember, whenever that happens, like people warping across frames, or inconsistencies appear, "a wizard did it."

;)

yuccadude
2006-01-03, 03:29 PM
Heh, nice catch on the bow, even if it is inconsistent with the other panels, a bow is still pretty much useless without any arrows

rosebud
2006-01-03, 03:40 PM
Cool! What do I win?A piece of straw, of course.

Capfalcon
2006-01-03, 05:32 PM
A piece of straw, of course.

Wrong!

TWO pieces of straw! ;D

You now have your own FREE* Halieytm Lockpicks!

*$20.00 S&H

phlip
2006-01-03, 08:00 PM
Aside from the fact that we have confirmed alignments for Belkar, Durkon, and Roy (with a good confirmation in regard to Elan, almost certainly chaotic to be his brother's opposite number), where is this stated?Rich has been quoted (just trust me - I'm lazy, it was around the time of the Unholy Blight strip I think) saying that all the characters are Good except Belkar who's Evil.

Edit: I can't find it... it's not around the time of #11, so it must have just been people talking about it later, and the search insists that The Giant has never said the name "Belkar" in any of his posts...

evileeyore
2006-01-03, 09:13 PM
Rich has been quoted (just trust me - I'm lazy, it was around the time of the Unholy Blight strip I think) saying that all the characters are Good except Belkar who's Evil.

Edit: I can't find it... it's not around the time of #11, so it must have just been people talking about it later, and the search insists that The Giant has never said the name "Belkar" in any of his posts...
As philip said, plus they are all revealed as Good (and Evil) here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=11).

Eloco
2006-01-03, 11:52 PM
Was it the straw that set them free or Elan and Haleys love.... these are the days of our lives! :'(

idksocrates
2006-01-04, 01:18 AM
As philip said, plus they are all revealed as Good (and Evil) here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=11).
actually, Unholy Blight does effect Neutral characters, just half as much.

Winged One
2006-01-04, 01:47 AM
It only does damage to Neutrals, it doesn't sicken them like it does Goods.

Oh, and it was Elan and Haley's love that set them free. The need to use straw actually gave Haley a penalty to her Open Lock check. ;D

Erathia
2006-01-04, 02:50 AM
well.. there is also a case of "underestimate your enemies" miko DID kicked everyone's butt and put them in chain gang...

For all we know the ease of escaping is just part of the Samurai/Paladin's test of guilt. Fleeing when accused of a crime is SURELY* an admission of guilt right? Maybe they do have a bunch of guards waiting outside to execute them for escaping

Heh, nice catch on the bow, even if it is inconsistent with the other panels, a bow is still pretty much useless without any arrows

Edit: True, but Miko also broke Haley's bowstring, (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=251) whereas this one's fine

*Surely as defined under the Paladin code of righteousness and any similarity to objective reality is purely coincidental

Annalia
2006-01-04, 04:14 AM
As for having decipher Haley's speach, I don't think she did. Not that he's not intelligent enough. Simply, it's much harder to do it when it isn't written in your face and what Haley says isn't real words and thus hard to remember and write down after. And she's changing quite often (from what I gathered, it isn't the same on every strip).

On another note, this was a most wonderful strip!

Chaos
2006-01-04, 05:40 AM
As for Haley´s comment "I am totally in love with you." - has anyone considered the possibility that she adressed that at Vaarsuvius? After all, it was him/her who had the idea that allowed her to pick the lock.

Xiander
2006-01-04, 06:45 AM
Doesn't that seem a little unlikely, taken Haleys way of reacting when it comes to Elan, into consideration?

Eloco
2006-01-04, 07:05 AM
If Haley had feelings for anyone else in the group they would of figured it out by now, only Elan could remain so clueless so long, god bless him.

evileeyore
2006-01-04, 08:37 AM
Welcome to 18 months ago. Hope you enjoy your stay, please visit our many fine eating and drinking establishments.*

Was making that arguement back then--EvilE

*Not to be snarky (Okay, maybe a littel) but this arguement is so old... Hell I think I vaguelly recall the Giant addressing my post concerning that within the first week after the comic came out. Everyone else was all "Look Belkar is EVIL!" and I was all "But he could be Neutral and just a made Fort save" and the Giant was "No, you=suxxor, he no say 'Ting Fort Save' lol" and I was all "daaayaanm, i got served'. Or something...

hsoj
2006-01-04, 11:20 AM
yeah that's exactly how that went down. =^]

I find it hilarious that the rest of the gang was in the cell w/ Elan but weren't shown on monday.