PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need Help Building a Mech Pilot

RatElemental
2021-12-20, 05:50 PM
So, I once again could use some help. I'm joining a game in which the party is hailing from a society of steampunk goblins, and I want to build a goblin mech rider. The goblin races are all homebrewed, so I have that covered, but the issue I'm running into is none of the construct focused archetypes completely cover what I want to do.

Essentially, I want to build something that will resemble this (https://monster-sanctuary.fandom.com/wiki/Goblin_Pilot). Ideally also be able to craft constructs later on.

Construct Rider Alchemist seems to fit the closest I can get it, though I have to compromise my vision of what the mech looks like for that, and crafting constructs will get a bit fiddly.

Tinkerer Alchemist is also a nice option, though I'm unsure if I could ride the construct familiar and even if I could that would have to wait until 7th level.

There's Clocksmith Wizard too, of course, but then I'm going to be real squishy and mostly focused on doing wizard things like battlefield control.

Is there something I've missed? What sorts of features would you use to realize this concept? If it comes down to it I'll probably just be happy riding a clockwork wolf, but I figured it can't hurt to ask.

Fizban
2021-12-20, 06:24 PM
What is the difference between a ridearmor and a mount? This difference is that the ridearmor also provides armor. And that's about it. And in DnD armor means Armor Class.

My solution in trying to design something out of the existing parts was in noticing that chariots (in 3.5 at least) give cover, and howdahs also give cover, and you can get cover from a mount by hanging down the side with a ride check. So ridearmor is just a combined mount/chariot that gives cover to the rider and happens to be bipedal and take up less space*. Which, with that +4 on top of standard light armors (or if you allow/decide/build, even heavier armors), makes the rider plenty tankier than before.

*Attacking with the ridearmor's systems is just using the mount's attacks without making the ride check to make your own, and further replacement/upgrade systems are fairly straighforward however you want to implement them.

Seerow
2021-12-20, 06:30 PM
Away from books at the moment so not sure if there's anything that lets you turn an eidolon into a construct?

Because that's a solid mechanic for build your own creature. You could even synthesist it to wear as a suit.

Gruftzwerg
2021-12-20, 07:01 PM
I could offer some options for 3.5 if that is allowed at your table?

RatElemental
2021-12-20, 07:08 PM
Away from books at the moment so not sure if there's anything that lets you turn an eidolon into a construct?

Because that's a solid mechanic for build your own creature. You could even synthesist it to wear as a suit.

Unchained summoner only, if I go summoner, sadly. So no synthesist.

I could offer some options for 3.5 if that is allowed at your table?

I might be able to talk the DM into them, though mostly I'd want to know for curiosity's sake.

Firebug
2021-12-20, 11:59 PM
Have you looked through the:
Pierce the Heavens! A Pathfinder’s Guide to Being A Mech Pilot! (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y3FOEac6iAGfCPlwur6yDa6GpK8_vogY9vPYFa4UfKg/pub)
Possess Object character guide?

Gruftzwerg
2021-12-21, 01:36 AM
I might be able to talk the DM into them, though mostly I'd want to know for curiosity's sake.

Options in 3.5

1. Urban Druid get Urban Companions which can be Animated Objects. On later levels you can have one up to gargantuan size.

2. Urban Druid can use Urban Shape to shape into Animated Objects at later levels.

As Urban Druid you can even play double mech/robots. If you want to have full transformer feeling, go for Warforged as race.

3. Warforged Tattooed Monk can get a Chamelon tattoo which allows them to Alter Self for hours/prc lvl. You can now change into Animated Objects up to large size. Add a ring to increase your size by one category and you become huge, able to carry up to 4 medium sized creatures. Have a look at my G.R.8 build (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?626458-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-CIX/page4)for the Iron Chef contest.

4. Get a construct familiar somehow (there are a few ways), and persist Alter Self/Polymorph (3.5 versions on the spell, dunno the differences for PF right of the bat) on it.

RatElemental
2021-12-21, 02:05 AM
Have you looked through the:
Pierce the Heavens! A Pathfinder’s Guide to Being A Mech Pilot! (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y3FOEac6iAGfCPlwur6yDa6GpK8_vogY9vPYFa4UfKg/pub)
Possess Object character guide?

I have. It being not quite what I was looking for is what prompted this thread.

Also thanks for the 3.5 options, those are interesting and I might have to mull over pitching one or two.

StSword
2021-12-21, 02:41 AM
Here's a review (http://endzeitgeist.com/horsemen-present-base-class-engineer/) of Four Horsemen Presents Base Class the Engineer to see if it sounds interesting

Gonzo has mecha rules (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/giant-robot-rules).

Seerow
2021-12-21, 10:18 AM
Is 3rd party on the table? Because if so, Spheres has some good options for this.

Like the Technician has an archetype practically built for it. You build an independent invention in suit form, and it gets better as you level up. Suit Pilot archetype lets you get it online as early as level 1.

Alternatively, the Tech Sphere has the ability to create drones and tons of talents to help customize/flesh those out. Going that route you can take almost any class with access to martial talents and put together your Drone Buddy.

Or if you want to stay away from hard tech, the Conjuration Sphere is basically "Build your own Eidolon", and it does include customization options to give your Conjuration Companion a mech body. There's a different option that turns your conjuration companion into a puppet, so it only takes actions when you're actively controlling it. Feels like it'd be a pretty good fit for a refluff into a mech suit if you mount it. Like with Tech Sphere any class with Magic Talents (most of them with any casting once archetypes are taken into account) can do this.

RatElemental
2021-12-21, 12:30 PM
Third party does seem to be on the table, the DM is currently looking over the Machinesmith class that I found while trying to find engineer. With the mechanus greatwork, alchemist-like casting in the form of prototypes and getting oodles of gadgets I think it's probably the perfect fit for what I'm going for. I can dip clocksmith wizard later on to shore up their construct crafting capabilities.

I'm also looking at Gearhead, Artificer, Non-sphere Technician and Sphere Technician just in case. I feel like I should have made it clear that I thought mounted combat was more what I was going for than actual full on powersuits and stuff. So that's my bad.

At any rate, thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Morty_Jhones
2021-12-23, 11:24 AM
hum. mostly I think this comes down to how you see your conection the the Bot is.

theres some nice oiptions available to goblins/gnomes in Wiz/Tinker/Artificer to end up with some realy pwerfull mounts and guards. that act as compaions, cohorts and fallowers... and you have had some goood serjestions there already.

however from what that pic and game serjests the conetion is a bit more personal and the suit could be considered a giant prostetic.

this opens the intresting idea of CIBERNETICS... both magical and steampunk....

Fleshcrafter feats might be worth looking at, this leads on to the ablity to graft Clockwork augments onto yourself.

also you could dive into D20 Ciberneticist class the DM might rule out some of the more high tec options but the Book dose offer plenty of steempunk/mistical options.