PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler Assassin Build

AKA_Bait
2007-11-20, 12:40 PM
Basically, I'm looking for suggestions for an good build for a assassin-type character using mainly Beguiler. The kind of character who uses magic and charm to put himself totally beyond suspision and then poisons the king.

I'm pretty simple minded about this stuff so I'd been thinking Beguiler17/Ninja 3 or Beguiler 19 / Assassin 1 but I'm sure there are better combonations out there.

Books: Pretty much anything WotC. Nothing from Dragon or Dungeon Mag's though.

Townopolis
2007-11-20, 01:32 PM
When I think of a beguiler assassin, I usually think of something along the lines of

Gnome (Aside from the +1 DCs, I just like gnomes)
Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus: Illusions
Advanced Learning: Phantasmal Killer

Drop Mind Fog down and all you have to worry about is the fortitude save.

Oh, and take Heighten Spell so you can prepare a 9th level PK and Fog.

Frosty
2007-11-20, 01:43 PM
You can also use Advanced Leaning to learn Ray of Stupidity and Empower it and maybe use a Meta Rod of Twinning.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-20, 03:04 PM
Humm, would it make sense to throw some levels of incatitrix in there too?

Townopolis
2007-11-20, 03:09 PM
I'm not too familiar with Incatitrix, so I can't really weigh its benefits against those of later level beguilers, but automatically overcoming SR on your major spells can be a great boon.

If Incatitrix offers a similar ability to help success in affecting targets with your main arsenal, then sure.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-20, 04:05 PM
flavor wise, it would be nice to have a level in sin. and it doesnt hurt to badly mechanics wise either. being able to use poison is nice, expesialy when Wis Damage poison's are alot more powerful and cheaper. (wis because it hurts the targets will saves, there for making it easier for a spell to take them down with PK).

AKA_Bait
2007-11-20, 04:07 PM
Well, since I want Poison Use (hence the ninja and Assassin build ideas) I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose the capstone ability anyway. Unless there is some way to get poison immunity with a feat or something.

Does beg the question of if there is any way to get poison immunity / poison use without having to give up a caster level.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-20, 04:13 PM
you can take some bestial feats. like a demon bloodline, which eventually give you poison imunity. i think its called demon heritage, they have a line of feats which are really cool.

zaei
2007-11-20, 04:19 PM
The Master of Poisons feat from Drow of the Underdark allows you to use poisons with no chance of poisoning yourself.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-20, 04:35 PM
Now that's just what I'm looking for. Are there any funny prereq's for that?

Alchemist Savant gives me poison immunity and advances spell casting at first level but has some setting specific feat requirements.

Temp
2007-11-20, 04:48 PM
For poison use, there's always the niftiest race ever: Jungle Halfling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#jungleHalflings).

...And I'm not seeing anything practical on the Lists of Stuff, so that's what I've got.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-20, 05:25 PM
Master of Poisons (DrU) will allow you to apply poison as a swift action without any danger of poisoning yourself. It has no prerequisites.

Poison Immunity (BoVD) will grant you immunity to one specific poison without any prerequisites.

There are a number of other feats that grant increased resistance and finally an epic feat that grants immunity if the DC is less than 25.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-20, 05:50 PM
Despite the cliche, I'd recommend going with Drow on this one for your race and making use of a lot of the feats from DotU. There may or may not be a PrC that would work well with that too.

If you don't mind being CE and can stomach a grand total of +3 LA, I'd also recommend the Lolth-touched template from MM-IV if you feel like going for that "Fang of Lolth" feeling. +6 Str, +6 Con, immunity to fear, which would help you to prioritize your spellcasting stats without totally dumping your needed physical ones.

A different tack would be to go Beguiler/Swordsage/Jade Phoenix Mage, with a slight reflavor on the JPM.