PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: You get one variant rule per character. What do you choose?

PhoenixPhyre
2021-12-21, 11:01 AM
NB: this is a thought experiment. NOT something I'm actually tempted to implement at a table.

Rules:
1. Each character can use classes, spells, and races from all non-setting-specific books (just to constrain some of the wilder options, but this limitation isn't so important compared to rule 2).
2. Anything marked variant (including feats, Tasha's character creation stuff, multiclassing, DMG variants, encumbrance, Tasha's variant features, etc) is limited to one choice per character.
2a. If you choose variant human (or custom lineage) as your variant option, you get A feat. You do not get feats later on during the character's development, only ASIs.
2b. If you choose feats generally, you cannot use custom lineage or variant human (and thus can only pick up your first feat at level 4).
2c. If there's a question as to the "variant" status of something, the only things defaulting to non-variant status are classes (and subclasses), spells, and races.
2d. If you choose the variant class features, you get the set of them for that class (relaxing this one to make it even potentially an option).

What would be your chosen variant and why? Would you choose multiclassing if feats were off the table? Would you choose feats if multiclassing was off the table? Variant human for that one lone feat? Is anyone crazy enough to choose variant encumbrance as their one variant feature?

OldTrees1
2021-12-21, 11:08 AM
I would usually pick Multiclassing. So many character concepts don't perfectly fit into a single class. Rather than try to put a square peg in a round hole, I will use the innovation "Multiclassing" to enable playing the character concept.

If the concept does fit a single class, then I would usually pick Feats. So many features are character specific rather than universal for all characters of a class. The innovation "Feats" enables further representation/instantiation of the character.

If the concept fits in a single class, and there are no feats that help instantiate the character concept, then I would usually pick some DMG variant like Sanity to expand on other aspects of characterization.

Amnestic
2021-12-21, 11:41 AM
My initial thought, and probably the one I'd go with, is using Tasha's character creation for some sort of single-class featless warlock. Simple and straightforward, no muss no fuss. No feats to worry about, no multiclassing builds to consider. Probably Genie, for that sweet sweet Wish Mystic Arcanum.

Warlocks generally aren't weighed down all that much and Tasha's stuff is mostly because it gives me more race flexibility for background/aesthetic than power play. It would work totally fine with variant encumbrance, especially since it's got built in extradimensional storage. Also other people will pick different variants, they can carry all my stuff!

However an alternative, with this restriction, would be my Red Oni (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25297236&postcount=1318) build. The build as standard does use both multiclassing and feats, but the one feat involved is lategame and not crucial, so it could be safely traded out for +2 Con without any real issues. My original draft for it was a featless build. Blue Oni could be adjusted similarly to be featless, though it suffers a little more in the process.

Emongnome777
2021-12-21, 12:07 PM
My first thought was the Epic Heroism from the DMG where you get short rests in 5 minutes and long rests in 1 hour. Any full caster would love to have all their spell slots recharge on the equivalent of a "typical" short rest. Who needs feats or multiclassing when you can do that? :smallbiggrin:

Even a monk (who needs ASIs typically more than most others) that could regain all their ki from a quick 5 minute breather would be cool to play.

MoiMagnus
2021-12-21, 12:34 PM
**DMG variants**

Epic Heroism (1 hour long rest) is kind of OP.

Using the proficiency dice give you +0.5 to every proficient check, which is nice.

Using ability check proficiency might be my favourite for rogues if you follow the usual ruling of "initiative rolls are a Dexterity ability check" as having expertise in Dexterity becomes very quite strong. Still an interesting variant to pick if it doesn't apply to initiative.

(Alternatively, background proficiency could be interesting if I was not too lazy to write a 300 pages background)

The hero points (5 times +1d6 to a check, recharge at level up) variant is probably very pleasant to have without being OP.

**Monster Manual**

Starting as a Vampire PC is both fun and strong in the adequate campaign.

Pex
2021-12-21, 12:43 PM
I would pick variant human. I usually only want one feat anyway. Sometimes a second feat is nice and warranted, but I can make do with one feat.

KorvinStarmast
2021-12-21, 12:55 PM
NB: this is a thought experiment.
Rules:
1. Each character can use classes, spells, and races from all non-setting-specific books (just to constrain some of the wilder options, but this limitation isn't so important compared to rule 2).

2. Anything marked variant (including feats, Tasha's character creation stuff, multiclassing, DMG variants, encumbrance, Tasha's variant features, etc) is limited to one choice per character.

2a. If you choose variant human (or custom lineage) as your variant option, you get A feat. You do not get feats later on during the character's development, only ASIs.

2b. If you choose feats generally, you cannot use custom lineage or variant human (and thus can only pick up your first feat at level 4).

2c. If there's a question as to the "variant" status of something, the only things defaulting to non-variant status are classes (and subclasses), spells, and races.

2d. If you choose the variant class features, you get the set of them for that class (relaxing this one to make it even potentially an option). Does d map to Tasha's spells in a class getting various increases? (like slow for bards, etc)

What would be your chosen variant and why?
2a or 2b.
2a since I played a lot of vhumans, and that's how I get my Monks built the way that I want it to be.
or
2b since that is how I played in our first D&D game and in yours. But, I have to be confident that we are going beyond level 7/8. (I default to 2a since most campaigns in RL just can't get past that point in my experience, and I like my life clerics to have access to goodberry cheese :smallbiggrin:).

Would you choose multiclassing if feats were off the table?
Maybe. Level 1 Sorcerer Warlock X Tome Lock is something I want to try some day. Generally play one class.

Would you choose feats if multiclassing was off the table?
Yes, as I rarely multiclass.

Note for I picked that one level of Fathomless warlock at 20 (my other choices were GOO or Genie/Marid) in your campaign because (a) we were not going to have many adventures at 20 (and thus extra level 7 spell slot does not do much) and (b) level 20 Bard feature is lame (I guess to balance out how good level 18 Magical Secrets is). And thematically, with Leviathan being my patron, more or less, having a swim speed, water breathing, and a tentacle on call was too thematically Right for her to pass up. How she incorporates that into her on stage act will remain unknown to the rest of the group since the characters are now retired/NPCs.

Variant human for that one lone feat? Yep, done it with some frequency.

Is anyone crazy enough to choose variant encumbrance as their one variant feature? Nope. That's a 'table decision' from the DM, or a group decision, as I see it, not a character choice.

nickl_2000
2021-12-21, 12:57 PM
I've been wanting to play a Rune Knight Full Class Fighter anyways. So, I would use the feat variant.

In general I would either pick multi-classing or feats (depending on the type of character I was making).

Rukelnikov
2021-12-21, 02:49 PM
The character I'm planning to play would be the deciding factor, but in general I think I'd go for MC or Vhuman/CL. Feats I think is too expensive for the return, and as some other posters said, in general you can make do with 1 feat.

I'd like to point out that Point Buy is variant, so anyone taking Feats, MC, customize your origin, etc. MUST roll for stats under this ruleset.

MoiMagnus
2021-12-21, 03:10 PM
I'd like to point out that Point Buy is variant, so anyone taking Feats, MC, customize your origin, etc. MUST roll for stats under this ruleset.

Or use the standard array. The standard array is not a variant.

Valmark
2021-12-21, 03:35 PM
Well, once we exclude the exploitable variants like the faster rests, I think I would grab:

- Feats if I'm playing a SAD single-classed character (mostly casters or ranged attackers) or someone with additional ASI like fighters or rogues
- Variant Human if I want to play a human
- Custom Lineage if I want to play a race that isn't published
- Multiclass if I want to play a multiclass or for warlocks since they make me balk after level 12+ (I dislike mystic arcanums too much). Exception being Pact of the Blade for Lifedrinker.
- Variant Tieflings if there's one I like

I... Honestly can't think of an interesting Variant for characters that don't fall into those categories. Perhaps Customize Your Origin or Feats.

Rukelnikov
2021-12-21, 03:43 PM
Or use the standard array. The standard array is not a variant.

True, that changes the optimizations possible, but still gives non random stats around which to make builds. Thats cool actually.

- Multiclass if I want to play a multiclass or for warlocks since they make me balk after level 12+ (I dislike mystic arcanums too much). Exception being Pact of the Blade for Lifedrinker.

Not even Genie's Limited Wish and Wish?

Magic Myrmidon
2021-12-21, 04:26 PM
In almost every instance, I would choose the Tasha's option of changing your attribute bonus for your race. It's been a houserule I've used ever since I started DMing, and I am so glad to be getting official support with it.

Guy Lombard-O
2021-12-21, 04:33 PM
Feats.

I don't play this game so much that I cannot abide a single-classed character for one game/campaign. There's plenty of single-classed ideas out there that I've yet to play, but playing without feats would be painful. Losing Res Con alone would warp more of my character builds than losing multiclassing.

Valmark
2021-12-21, 04:35 PM
Not even Genie's Limited Wish and Wish?

Yeah, not even Genie. The Limited Wish is mostly a sidestep to a Mystic Arcanum or even a downgrade (more choice but less uses at a higher level) and Wish requires me to suffer through the previous MAs.

Kane0
2021-12-21, 04:40 PM
Rules:
2d. If you choose the variant class features, you get the set of them for that class (relaxing this one to make it even potentially an option).

Huh, that's a pretty interesting decision to make. Well for some classes anyways.
The choice between variant human feat vs normal ASI feats always feels in favor of the latter to me. There's very few cases where a character would want/need exactly one feat to me, and there are some great racial features you would want to have access to.

Artificer: No Tasha's optional features (TOF), so that leaves MCing, Feats or a DMG variant. I'd probably go with Feats, although flanking with your defender buddy would be fun.
Barbarian: TOFs are a weak offering compared to feats and DMG variants. I'd go feats or DMG cleave through
Bard: TOF are decent, but giving up feats for it doesn't sound a great trade.
Cleric: See Bard
Druid: See Bard
Fighter: TOFs are nothing special and you get extra ASIs for feats, but on the other hand DMG flanking and action options are tempting.
Monk: TOFs here are good, and monks don't get a great selection of combat feats. This one could go either way depending on the character.
Paladin: See Bard
Ranger: TOFs are a huge improvement and might beat out feats as the default option. although flanking might be especially good paired with a companion
Rogue: Flanking is about as good as TOFs depending on if you're ranged/melee, but otherwise feats are still a strong contender.
Sorcerer: TOFs are solid, but probably still edged out by feats again. Spell points are an interesting option depending on how they interact with sorcery points.
Warlock: Feats again, but like sorcerer Spell points could be worth considering depending on how they interact with pact magic upcasting/
Wizard: TOFs gives you nothing, so its spell points or feats again.

So in the end, for me feats are the default option unless:
A) you really want to MC for your character concept
B) Tashas optional features are particularly good for your class (monk, ranger, sorcerer) and feat options somewhat poor (monk)
C) are very much more interested in a DMG variant (spell points for casters, flanking/action options/cleave through for martials)
D) you want to be super cheesy and pick epic heroism resting as your variant

Amnestic
2021-12-21, 04:45 PM
MAs aren't as flexible as wizards or anything (nor should they be) but there's at least a few spells from each level I'd have to actively choose between.

Mass Suggestion, Eyebite, the Investiture spells, Summon Fiend and True Seeing.
Crown of Stars, Forcecage, Finger of Death, Plane Shift
Dominate Monster, Glibness, Feeblemind, PW:S (underrated imho)
Even skipping Wish: Foresight, True Polymorph, Shapechange and PW:K are all valid picks.

Asmotherion
2021-12-21, 04:49 PM
Multiclassing for sure. I find it boring to play a character that is monoclassed.

Amechra
2021-12-21, 06:03 PM
If I were playing a Monk or a Warlock, I think I'd definitely go for Epic Heroism... not that that's a surprise, honestly.

kore
2021-12-21, 06:07 PM
I would pick variant human. I usually only want one feat anyway. Sometimes a second feat is nice and warranted, but I can make do with one feat.

Aren't Feats variant? You only get one variant for this thought experiment. :smalltongue:

PhoenixPhyre
2021-12-21, 06:11 PM
Aren't Feats variant? You only get one variant for this thought experiment. :smalltongue:

Explicit exception for v human in OP, they get the one feat at level 1.

RSP
2021-12-23, 06:50 PM
Spell Points if a full caster. Most full casters don’t need feats or multiclassing.

A Bladesinger working off spell points would be pretty good.

Witty Username
2021-12-25, 06:10 PM
+1 to multiclassing.
I think that multiclassing is more than a little vital to game health at least if one wants class features after about 9th level.