PDA

View Full Version : Devotion Paladin build advice for Descent into Avernus

bsullivanp
2021-12-21, 11:40 PM
I'm starting a DiTA campaign at level 5 that will take us through level 13. I decided to play a Devotion Paladin but am debating three different builds and am having trouble deciding which is the best version. For context, the other party members consist of a Barbarian, Arcane Trickster Rogue, Order Domain Cleric, and Gloomstalker Ranger.

Please, without spoilers, any thoughts on which of the following options would be best:

Option 1: Straight Devotion Paladin

Pros: Highest HP (but not by much), Level 4 Paladin Spells, Immunity to Charm & Frightened, Improved Divine Smite
Cons: No ranged attacks (I assume I will be facing many flying demons/devils), Limited spell slots for smites, MAD build

Option 2: Paladin 12/Hexblade 1 (I have a good backstory why this would make sense)

Pros: Ranged cantrip (EB), Booming Blade (useful with Warcaster feat), SAD build, short rest hex/shield, Hexblade curse fits well with Sacred Weapon (despite full turn to activate), Improved Divine Smite
Cons: No level 4 paladin spells, no level 4 spell slots, gets level 3 spells a full level after straight paladin (e.g. Revivify, Spirit Shroud)

Option 3: Sorcadin (Paladin 6/Divine Soul 7)

Pros: Ranged cantrip (Mind Sliver & Sacred Flame), Booming Blade (useful with Warcaster feat), Absorb Elements spell, Awesome sorcerer and cleric spells up to level 4 (Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians), plus utility spells like Counterspell & Fly, Most spell slots (including 2 level 5 slots)
Cons: For such a short campaign, comes online MUCH later (level 3 spells TWO levels after straight Paladin at level 11), lowest HPs, no immunity to frightened or charmed, No Improved Divine Smite

I was initially all in on the Sorcadin, but now I am worried that for the vast majority of the campaign, will be sitting with level 2 spells, albeit with much more smite juice. On the other hand, losing frightened/charm immunities feels like a pretty big loss. In any case, could use some advice for those that have played mid-tier campaigns, which will feel the best or least underpowered if everyone else is going straight builds.

Thanks!

Angelalex242
2021-12-21, 11:57 PM
While I'm a fan of Ancients Paladins, stay pure Devotion.

Immunities will serve you better, particularly when you stand near the 8 wisdom barbarian.

Snails
2021-12-22, 12:35 AM
I think that in this party Devotion would do great.

I agree with Angelalex242. I am also a big fan of Ancients, but the Rogue evasion and Ranger absorb elements spells and Barbarian rage/HPs will make the reduced damage much less urgent than some other things. Your party is not one to fear Fireball spells. It is mind-affecting spells that are your weak point.

bsullivanp
2021-12-22, 08:10 AM
I think that in this party Devotion would do great.

I agree with Angelalex242. I am also a big fan of Ancients, but the Rogue evasion and Ranger absorb elements spells and Barbarian rage/HPs will make the reduced damage much less urgent than some other things. Your party is not one to fear Fireball spells. It is mind-affecting spells that are your weak point.

I guess that's why I was thinking about a one level dip (in Warlock), but even a 1 level dip into DS Sorcerer could be helpful. In the Sorcerer dip, I would retain the same spell slots as a full paladin, get Shield and Absorb elements, plus some useful cantrips like Guidance, ranged cantrips, even minor illusion or mage hand, would still get all the paladin benefits, all for the cost of delaying all that paladin goodness by one level. I suppose I am debating whether in a short campaign to level 13, does getting something at level 11 (like improved smite) or level 12 make that much a difference? I am still getting them really late in the campaign and therefore would largely be playing for Avernus' entirety without these benefits.

Angelalex242
2021-12-22, 11:44 AM
Divine Smite is a big damage boost...against mooks.

It allows you to do that radiant damage on every swing, which prevents a lot of things from regenerating. You don't wanna be burning real smites against everything.

Also recall level 12 Paladin is an ASI, and level 13 paladin is their natural 4th level spell slot. 4th level Paladin Spells would be your capstone, and those are the auras, which can be anti necrotic or anti poison, depending on which fiend you are fighting. There is no first level ability worth more than Paladin 4th level spells.

(Also, if you stay in hell after that, recall level 14 Paladin is Cleansing Touch, and Level 15 Devotion paladin is /permanent protection from evil/)

Multiclassing has many downsides.

diplomancer
2021-12-22, 11:47 AM
My suggestion is to not decide. Play levels 5 and 6 as a Paladin, and then decide. If you feel you're being hit a lot, then consider the multiclass for Shield. As has been pointed out, charm immunity with a Barbarianin the party is very good, and every Paladin level up to 13 gives you great features, though they do taper off a bit after that.

bsullivanp
2021-12-22, 12:31 PM
My suggestion is to not decide. Play levels 5 and 6 as a Paladin, and then decide. If you feel you're being hit a lot, then consider the multiclass for Shield. As has been pointed out, charm immunity with a Barbarianin the party is very good, and every Paladin level up to 13 gives you great features, though they do taper off a bit after that.

I think that's a great suggestion. See how it plays out and go from there.

McSkrag
2021-12-22, 12:33 PM
+1 for Devotion Paladin.

Having spent a lot of quality time in Avernus, I can tell you that almost everything is immune to fire and resistant to magic. So you will want to focus your spells and abilities on defense, direct damage, and buffs.

Gtdead
2021-12-22, 01:50 PM
Haven't played DIA and I don't know the encounters but about 1 in 4 of published demons have flight and 1 in 8 have fear or charm. I'm going to assume that Rogue and Ranger are both ranged, although I don't know how magic items will be handled.

I would go for a Warlock 2/Paladin 7 split. Stay near your Cleric concentrating on SG, Bless and throw Eldritch Blasts, probably max CHA and pick Alert if starting with a feat race.

1Pirate
2021-12-22, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't dip more than one level and I wouldn't do it until after Devotion 7. That charm immunity is going to come in handy. That being said, you're also going to want at least one ranged option, so consider taking the fighting style that gives you cleric cantrips or make a build that can use ranged weapons in a pinch.

diplomancer
2021-12-22, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't dip more than one level and I wouldn't do it until after Devotion 7. That charm immunity is going to come in handy. That being said, you're also going to want at least one ranged option, so consider taking the fighting style that gives you cleric cantrips or make a build that can use ranged weapons in a pinch.

If you don't get the dip, it's also easy to be a dexadin, which is not that bad at range, though you have to commit to that at character creation

Ir0ns0ul
2021-12-22, 08:14 PM
I know it’s maybe too late in the game, but once you get Find Greater Steed and are able to mount a Pegasus, flying creatures won’t be a problem anymore.

I used to play a Dwarf Paladin and ranged enemies were always a problem. My life changed once I got Find Steed and a Lance coupled with Dueling fighting style.

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-12-22, 10:07 PM
With the caveat that we've banned the 1 level Hexblade dip in our games for Paladins because they're OP, if your only concern is optimization I don't know why you wouldn't take this option if allowed. The meaty end of the campaign is right where the full benefit of this build comes into play in that by level 8/1 you've gotten the full benefit of making a character designed to be MAD into one that is SAD. Effectively you've gotten 2 extra ASIs and the rest of the abilities for losing a Pally level and getting a Warlock one are roughly a trade off depending on total level. You're then free to use your level 12 ability for a feat and can take one of the options that gives you a feat at level 1, as you don't need to worry as much about multiple ability scores.

1Pirate
2021-12-23, 01:44 PM
With the caveat that we've banned the 1 level Hexblade dip in our games for Paladins because they're OP, if your only concern is optimization I don't know why you wouldn't take this option if allowed. The meaty end of the campaign is right where the full benefit of this build comes into play in that by level 8/1 you've gotten the full benefit of making a character designed to be MAD into one that is SAD
Hmm, in my experience the meaty end was level 7/8, although A LOT depends on how the DM handles thing at a certain point. Paladins almost always want to hit 6 as soon as possible, and if they want that charm immunity too they might not be dipping until level 8.