PDA

View Full Version : Questions for anyone that's used 5e's Spheres of Might

Phhase
2021-12-23, 05:57 PM
For anyone unaware, Spheres (http://spheres5e.wikidot.com/) is a 5e character building method (imported from uhhh Pathfinder? I think?) that offers manifold levels of customization in exchange for increased complexity (so right up my alley).

I specifically have a few questions regarding the Tinker sphere. First, it mentions that you are proficient will all gadgets except the ones that are also classed as weapons. So, how does one become proficient with those weapons, then? Do you have to take the Custom Training Equipment talent? Seems a little awkward.

Second, I wouldn't mind some opinions on the use of the Pressurized Liquid Applicator. By the reading, it seems like the Ammo Spitter ranged weapon accessory should be able to supply alchemical items to the Applicator (Because the Applicator is not considered . Does it only produce one kind, determined when setting up the accessory? What happens when you use Alchemy Sphere formulas as ammunition (explicitly pointed out as a valid ammunition type)? Can a Spitter provide those? Would Potency be applied to the Spitter as a whole, or an individual formula shot with it? What about applying Gaseous Application to a shot formula? And how do formulas interact with the Applicator's Stream Fire function? Could you apply ranged weapon talents like Head Shot (Sniper Sphere) to it?

I ask because I love the idea of having an industrial strength super soaker as a weapon, and want to know exactly how badass it is.

quindraco
2021-12-24, 12:45 AM
You become proficient in weapons the normal way. You don't need a talent to do it per se. You could do it with a talent, since the Equipment sphere is full of proficiency talents, but you can just pick it up from your race or class. So e.g. if you make a collapsible greatsword, you'll still need proficiency in greatswords from somewhere else.
Ammo Spitter doesn't specify when the tinkerer decides what kind of ammunition it produces, which can come up in other situations as well (e.g. if you want custom colors on the fletching of your arrows in order to implicate someone as having fired them), so it's up to your DM whether you have to pick one at creation time or whether you can make a gadget that lets you pick from a 2-item menu when used.
That's going to continue to be my sort of answer for most of your questions - anything the rules don't cover are, as always, DM discretion.

Phhase
2021-12-24, 01:24 AM
You become proficient in weapons the normal way. You don't need a talent to do it per se. You could do it with a talent, since the Equipment sphere is full of proficiency talents, but you can just pick it up from your race or class. So e.g. if you make a collapsible greatsword, you'll still need proficiency in greatswords from somewhere else.

The problem is the liquid cannon seems to be an all new weapon, and isn't defined as simple martial, or anything except itself.

Segev
2021-12-24, 01:29 AM
The problem is the liquid cannon seems to be an all new weapon, and isn't defined as simple martial, or anything except itself.

The pressurized liquid applicator is listed under a heading in its table that reads, "Simple Ranged Weapons." It is therefore a weapon that anybody proficient in all simple weapons is proficient in.

Phhase
2021-12-24, 01:45 AM
The pressurized liquid applicator is listed under a heading in its table that reads, "Simple Ranged Weapons." It is therefore a weapon that anybody proficient in all simple weapons is proficient in.

Ah, missed that, thanks. Weird.