PDA

View Full Version : Bladesinger battlemaster multiclass advice

Albert
2021-12-23, 06:49 PM
I’m trying to figure out whether it’s worth it to create a battlemaster 3/bladesinger X at 10th level for a campaign I’m in. The reason for the fighter levels was to beef up his melee ability but I’m sad that I'll lose an ASI and I’m wondering if bladesong is strong enough in melee that he doesn’t need action surge or BM maneuvers. Play style wise I want to be upfront most of the time while dropping back to cast the occasional dramatic spell and bladesinger just seemed more fun/flashy than EK.

In terms of backstory/concept, I’m thinking this character got into wizard college on a fencing scholarship but was forced to study magic for his family’s sake rather than pursue his true passion with the blade. The result is that he’s a capable sword fighter with a powerful magical arsenal that he somewhat resents having, and will primarily try to sword fight his way out of danger. Our party actually has a real Fighter so I thought it would make for fun banter since my character would definitely envy him while relying on magic to keep up.

Basically I’m just wondering if Fighter levels will be worth it or if it will set me back too far and not really add much. Thanks!

RSP
2021-12-23, 06:57 PM
I’d go straight BS, certainly to start at least. If I’m melee, you’ll want Song of Defense as an option, not to mention level 5 spells and being a level from Tensor’s Transformation.

Play up what you can do with spells to balance out what the fighter has in melee ability.

AndrewBlade
2021-12-23, 07:56 PM
I’d go straight BS, certainly to start at least. If I’m melee, you’ll want Song of Defense as an option, not to mention level 5 spells and being a level from Tensor’s Transformation.

Play up what you can do with spells to balance out what the fighter has in melee ability.

I am no expert, but from what I've noticed, you want to take as much from the bladesinger class as possible to gain higher level spells.

I do think a 2 level dip in fighter for action surge and fighting style might be worthwhile, but i don't think taking a third level would pay out enough. Battle Master is a good subclass for it, but you'd have to justify taking that much longer to get higher spells.

Flavorwise, if you want your character to have those techniques, Battle Master is more effective than taking them as a feat, so if those maneuvers are important to you, by all means go that route. 4 levels will get you an ASI/Feat, but again, it takes longer to get your higher level spells.