PDA

View Full Version : How to Finish this High Level Build?

Sillybird99
2021-12-23, 08:54 PM
Divine Soul Sorcerer 1/ Echo Knight 6/ Vengeance Paladin 6

With 7 levels left, do you finish in Divine Soul, or take a 2nd level and finish with Fighter 12 or Paladin 12?

Finishing fighter yields 1 more ASI, extra attack x2, and the EK goods. Paladin offers more spells, IDS, and the fear immunity. Sorcerer offers a lot more spells, and meta magic, but with the issue of not improving weapon dpr and having 6th level slots while only knowing up to 4th level spells (though there are a couple decent upcast options).

Or is there another option that seems better than the above for a Paladin type character?

Kane0
2021-12-23, 09:09 PM
Honestly probably sorc 2 then echo knight up to 12. Extra ASIs and some decent subclass features plus an extra attack as your capstone

kazaryu
2021-12-23, 10:35 PM
Divine Soul Sorcerer 1/ Echo Knight 6/ Vengeance Paladin 6

With 7 levels left, do you finish in Divine Soul, or take a 2nd level and finish with Fighter 12 or Paladin 12?

Finishing fighter yields 1 more ASI, extra attack x2, and the EK goods. Paladin offers more spells, IDS, and the fear immunity. Sorcerer offers a lot more spells, and meta magic, but with the issue of not improving weapon dpr and having 6th level slots while only knowing up to 4th level spells (though there are a couple decent upcast options).

Or is there another option that seems better than the above for a Paladin type character?

i'd say go at least DS3 (probably 4 for the asi) for quicken. on turns when you're not summoning an echo you can quicken a bb or gfb. going all the way up to DS 8 gives 4th level spells like death ward and freedom of movement. it also gives you 3 4th level spell slots instead of just 1. 3rd level spells gets you counterspell (always nice to have) and if you realy want that 3rd attack you *could* go with haste (but you can alos get haste by leveling paladin).

Sillybird99
2021-12-24, 08:37 AM
i'd say go at least DS3 (probably 4 for the asi) for quicken. on turns when you're not summoning an echo you can quicken a bb or gfb. going all the way up to DS 8 gives 4th level spells like death ward and freedom of movement. it also gives you 3 4th level spell slots instead of just 1. 3rd level spells gets you counterspell (always nice to have) and if you realy want that 3rd attack you *could* go with haste (but you can alos get haste by leveling paladin).

Yeah this is why I'm thinking Divine soul 8. Lots of good spell choices. Picking up spirit guardians and casting it while on a find steed mount would double cast the aura, making it twice as strong. Upcasting it to 6th level would be a 12d8 aura (with two saves, one for each aura). Pretty strong for damage and control. I think that's probably a better use of concentration than haste because of the downside to haste ending.

Bobthewizard
2021-12-24, 08:56 AM
From where you are, I agree with more sorcerer levels. 5 more levels in fighter gets you a third attack, 5 more in paladin gets you improved divine smite. I'm not sure either of those are worth giving up the extra spells.

If it's not too late, I'd drop the echo knight back to level 3 so you don't double up on extra attack. I'm not sure echo avatar and an extra feat is worth giving up 3 levels of sorcerer. That would get you to sorcerer 11 and 6th level spells.

Sillybird99
2021-12-24, 09:01 AM
From where you are, I agree with more sorcerer levels. 5 more levels in fighter gets you a third attack, 5 more in paladin gets you improved divine smite. I'm not sure either of those are worth giving up the extra spells.

If it's not too late, I'd drop the echo knight back to level 3 so you don't double up on extra attack. I'm not sure echo avatar and an extra feat is worth giving up 3 levels of sorcerer. That would get you to sorcerer 11 and 6th level spells.

Ya unfortunately I can't retrain class levels. I rushed to EK 5 for that extra attack and the character has gone a different way for rp reasons.

kazaryu
2021-12-25, 03:55 AM
Yeah this is why I'm thinking Divine soul 8. Lots of good spell choices. Picking up spirit guardians and casting it while on a find steed mount would double cast the aura, making it twice as strong. Upcasting it to 6th level would be a 12d8 aura (with two saves, one for each aura). Pretty strong for damage and control. I think that's probably a better use of concentration than haste because of the downside to haste ending.

lol, thats why i mentioned haste as an after thought. although for me the big selling point would be death ward and freedom of movement