PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Drakenmael, a race of artificial dragon shapeshifters fit for a player (PEACH)

Jervis
2021-12-24, 05:27 AM
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. T5EzW0nnpTUCyOczu5iI8QHaEw%26pid%3DApi&f=1
Giving the term "Dragon Lady" a whole new meaning

It's a old myth that dragons were created as warriors of the gods to fly down from on high and destroy anyone that made them angry that particular day. That, of course, is a unsubstantiated by wizards specializing in fedoramancy. However the idea had enough validity that some of those same wizards decided to try it themselves. A council of archmages, or maybe they were liches, or i don't know, maybe they were elves, or maybe they were Illithids or something, those guys do this a lot. Either way I'm getting off track. Some council or something decided to gather up a bunch of humanoids and start experimenting on them with dragons blood and magic stolen from druids and various other shapeshifters. After a few decades they ended up with a perfect weapon, a race of being that appeared mostly human but were, for all intents and purposes, dragons able to prove that to anyone with a moment's notice. They even made them easily controllable with magic. Unfortunately someone didn't get the memo that dragons were, in fact, immune to dominate person and required dominate monster. To make a long and incredibly painful story short, their creators all died and the experiment escaped captivity. - A suspiciously forgetful cleric.

Weapons of War

Drakenmael were first created in a long and morbid series of experiments meant to create the ultimate living weapon, dragons that look like humanoids, grow quickly, train quickly, and answer every command with unquestioning loyalty, and no regard for their own safety. They were born to appear and destroy anything in their path before vanishing without a trace. While not universally violent, they were made prone to aggression by artifice. As such many find it difficult to stay away from battles, often feeling a strange sense of homesick melancholy when living peacefully.

Mockeries of Dragonkind

Due to their origins, many dragons see them as a insult. Most evil aligned dragons would be inclined to kill them on sight unless given a good reason not too while good or neutral aligned dragons are still often unwilling to aid them. Most dragon deities see them as unnatural and abnormal. The humans that know of them often see them as a dangerous loos cannon. The alchemical process that first created them was very crude and resulted in several quirks and eccentricities.

Lost in Time

The flawed experiments that created them caused their ages to vary wildly from what would be expected by their parentage. They progress through age categories as a true dragon, however the duration of each category up to juvenile is halved. Not all Drakenmael will age beyond this, as their species suffers from neoteny. Their creators wanted to control their population and level of power so they were created to halt their aging before properly reaching adulthood. As a result few of them have children and usually live to be around 200 years old, maintaining a similar appearance to when they stopped aging. The few that naturally progress to proper adulthood can live as long as any dragon and tend to get stronger as they age.

Appearance

Drakenmael appear mostly human to a untrained eye. They typically have a humanoid with a few odd or off features to tell them apart. Typically they have hair of unnatural or mixed colors, such as white hair or hair that changes from red to black depending on what part of their head it grows from. They also often have differently colored eyes, such as one green eye and one blue eye. They sometimes have pointed ears, a pair of dragon fangs mixed in with otherwise human teeth, or a single horn. Drakenmael born from a non-Drakenmael parent, which is often the case, can share many cosmetic similarities with their other parent.

Drakenmael Characters

+2 Con stitution, +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, -4 Wisdom
Medium Dragon: Drakenmael appear humanoid in most cased but their natural magic allows them to reveal their draconic nature
Base Land Speed 30 ft
Darkvission out to 60 ft
Racial Skills: +2 racial bonus to Appraise, Search, Spot, and Listen checks. -4 penalty to sense motive checks
+3 Natural Armor Bonus
Special Qualities (See Below): Weak Mind, Alternate Form,
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any Nonsecret language
Favored Class: Any
LA: +2

Weak Mind: Drakenmael were made to be subservient and vulnerable to spells that control them. They take a -4 penalty on will saving throws against Mind Effecting and Compulsion effects

Alternate Form (SU): As an action a Drakenmael can assume the form of a small or medium Dragon or return to their normal form. This ability functions as the wildshape ability of a druid except that they can assume the form of a small or medium dragon instead of a beast. They gain full use of their new form's EX and SU abilities but not any spell like abilities or spellcasting that dragon has, and can remain in the form indefinitely but must wait 1 hour before using it again after exiting dragon form. A Drakenmael cannot turn into a different dragon form using this ability until returning to their normal form. They may not assume a form of a Dragon with more hit dice than their character level.

Adult Blood

You have broken the grown strong enough to naturally progress in age.

Requirements: Drakenmael, character level 8

Benefits: You may assume the form of a large dragon now instead of only small or medium dragons when using your Alternate Form racial ability. You must still have at least as many hit dice as the dragon you attempt to transform into. You are treated as Adult age category, also double the duration of each age category beyond this.

Old Blood

you have grown experienced and powerful with age.

Requirements: Drakenmael, Adult Blood, Character Level 15

Benefits: You may assume the form of a huge or tiny dragon instead of just small, medium, and large using your racial alternate form ability. You must still have at least as many hit die as the dragon you attempt to turn into.

Ancient Blood

You've grown mightier than most of your ken

Requirements: Old Blood, Character Level 21

Benefits: You may assume the form of a Gargantuan dragon when using your racial alternate form ability. You must have at least as many hit dice as the dragon you are attempting to transform into.

Jervis
2021-12-24, 05:29 AM
Reserved. Also i should explain that i know there are probably some crazy shenanigans' you can do with this if dragon mag and the like are allowed. I make for fun first and balance second. If there's interest i can always go back and nerf, but i like to make the concept known first

Jervis
2021-12-25, 03:24 PM
Reserved 2 just in case I need it

Kategeeper
2021-12-26, 06:09 AM
Read the lore. It’s neat. Like me some good old lore.

Drakenmael Characters

[LIST]
+2 Con stitution, +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, -4 Wisdom

Good stat bonuses. Not super powerful if you’re using point buy, better if you’re using rolled stats.

Medium Dragon: Drakenmael appear humanoid in most cased but their natural magic allows them to reveal their draconic nature
Base Land Speed 30 ft
Darkvission out to 60 ft
Racial Skills: +2 racial bonus to Appraise, Search, Spot, and Listen checks. -4 penalty to sense motive checks
+3 Natural Armor Bonus
Special Qualities (See Below): Weak Mind, Alternate Form,
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any Nonsecret language
Favored Class: Any
LA: +2

That’s fine, maybe add draconic as a language?

[CENTER]
Weak Mind: Drakenmael were made to be subservient and vulnerable to spells that control them. They take a -4 penalty on will saving throws against Mind Effecting and Compulsion effects

Love this. Just like I love the Mets baby it’s all about the Mets let’s go Mets

[CENTER]
Alternate Form (SU): As an action a Drakenmael can assume the form of a small or medium Dragon or return to their normal form. This ability functions as the wildshape ability of a druid except that they can assume the form of a small or medium dragon instead of a beast. They gain full use of their new form's EX and SU abilities but not any spell like abilities or spellcasting that dragon has, and can remain in the form indefinitely but must wait 1 hour before using it again after exiting dragon form. A Drakenmael cannot turn into a different dragon form using this ability until returning to their normal form. They may not assume a form of a Dragon with more hit dice than their character level.

This is what I mainly have a gripe with. Not so bad on its own, but the feats really make this too damn powerful. Shapeshifting into a dragon is something casters do and use up a spell to do so, and the lowest level spell required is Iirc level 6. For a large dragon. These MF’s just do it. As many times as they want to, and the 1 hour of waiting time in between is not sufficient. I’d say rebalance the level at which the feats are available and the amount of times it can be used in a day, or give severe ripercussions if it’s used.

Breccia
2021-12-26, 10:41 AM
The weakest Large 3.5E dragon I could find, "very young red" has ten hit dice. Then gold at eleven. The weakest Adult I could find was white of course, with eighteen.

I'm pretty sure Kategeeper's concerns could be easily met by making the Large size require character level 12 and nobody would notice.

Unless, of course, you're using a bunch of optional/homebrew dragons with low hit dice but crazy powers. Then I think they would notice, but I'd consider doing it anyhow.

Jervis
2021-12-26, 12:49 PM
fair enough. I picked the levels for the feats based on when druids get their size upgrades. Though the only dragon that's large and has less than 8 HD is a Wyvern and thats only dragon by type. I should probably do some rebalancing on this, maybe limit its duration to HD hours or 10 minutes/HD and give it uses based on 1 + 1/3 HD or something instead of a 1 hour cool down. Oh and i need to add shapechanger subtype.